Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe ELO Tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Multiplayer (PBEM and head to head) >> RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/23/2021 1:09:46 AM   
Scottydawg

Game over Scottydawg (Axis) vs The Land (Allies); Axis concede February, 1946...this was a seven month slugfest (my 6th PBEM game started last July) in which a great deal was learned. Thank you Land for playing an excellent game!

By autumn we stood with our backs to the town of Orel
Closer and closer to Moscow they come...

(in reply to JimWC)
Post #: 271
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/23/2021 8:04:02 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scottydawg

Game over Scottydawg (Axis) vs The Land (Allies); Axis concede February, 1946...this was a seven month slugfest (my 6th PBEM game started last July) in which a great deal was learned. Thank you Land for playing an excellent game!

Indeed - an epic game and thank you to Scottydawg for putting up with my very slow play rate!

This is roughly how it went:

Scotty went all-in on Russia, without even accepting the Afrika Corps decision (I believe). He left Greece to the Italians for a while, and I was able to hold up them up there for some time as well as inflicting very heavy losses on the Italian fleet in 1941. By early 1942 the British were firmly lodged in Sicily.

By early '43 I was very optimistic, as Moscow was under siege but had not fallen, while Stalingrad wasn't even threatened. However the Eastern Front then turned into a disaster area for me thanks to bombing out HQs, which in Eastern Russia causes whole sections of the front to lose supply and be wiped out.

In the Med with no Italian fleet I was able to start rolling amphibious invasions. The first one was a blunder with an attempted landing in Vichy France doing nothing except bring Vichy into the war. However I was more successful in the Adriatic and was able to force Italy's surrender with a corps and a special forces taking undefended Venice and doing an end run across Northern Italy. The surrender of Italian forces meant I was able to lodge Patton and the American Army in Albania and the British in Greece during summer 43.

In 1944 the Germans kept advancing on Kuybyshev, while the British and Americans focused on Southern Europe. I pulled off a parachute assault into southern Serbia and Romania which disintegrated the German front here - within 3-4 turns I took Von Rundstedt's HQ and destroyed most of his army group and took the capitals of Bulgaria and Romania, also bringing Turkey into the war. This finally stopped the German advance in the East and from here on it was a general offensive on all fronts.

It took until 1945 for the Allies to land in Western Europe, with a massive tank battle in eastern Holland being the last gasp of the German Army...

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 272
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/23/2021 5:43:54 PM   
The Land

This means I am free for another game! Happy to sharpen either my defence as the Allies or my offensive as the Axis. I will warn you that I am often not a fast player and am due to be moving house once again next month, so if that bugs you, please do not play against me!

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 273
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/24/2021 7:38:10 AM   
BPINisBACK

quote:

However the Eastern Front then turned into a disaster area for me thanks to bombing out HQs, which in Eastern Russia causes whole sections of the front to lose supply and be wiped out

Thats the reason I have a houserule about this issue. HQ bombing is so boring to me...

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 274
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/24/2021 7:57:37 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: BPINisBACK

Thats the reason I have a houserule about this issue. HQ bombing is so boring to me...

Yeah, I've been mulling this over a bit. It was certainly very frustrating to deal with when I wasn't prepared for it. I am not yet sure that I would houserule it out, though. There is a viable counter-strategy, which is to have more HQs, more AA units and AA-upgrades on your resources, and more fighters. And it's quite difficult to word a house-rule that covers this situation without also covering others... I didn't destroy any HQs purely from the air, but there were a couple of occasions when I had tanks or paratroops make a breakthrough and I used some of the power of my massed bombers to either de-entrench or finish off HQs.

So I'm not quite persuaded that it needs to be houseruled, or how...

Edit: And as of the latest patch HQs can have AA tech 3, which should also help.

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/27/2021 8:21:46 AM >

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 275
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/26/2021 9:46:36 PM   
Will952

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will952
New game started (rematch): El_Condoro (Allies) vs Will952 (Axis)

Axis victory July 1943 - good games.

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 276
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/28/2021 7:29:45 PM   
Will952

Free for a new game if anyone is interested

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 277
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 2/28/2021 8:36:05 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will952

Free for a new game if anyone is interested

Edited: New game commenced, Will952 (Axis) vs The Land (Allies)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/28/2021 9:10:18 PM >

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 278
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/1/2021 11:48:22 AM   
Scottydawg

New game started Scottydawg (axis) vs. Gilber (allies)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 279
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/1/2021 11:49:19 AM   
Scottydawg

Newe [mirror] game started: Scottydawg (axis) vs. Will952(allies)

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 280
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/1/2021 4:56:04 PM   
Will952

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scottydawg
New game started: Scottydawg (Allies) vs. Will952 (Axis)

Axis victory June 1943 - GG.

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 281
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/2/2021 5:37:26 AM   
Gilber

New game started: Scottydawg (Axis) vs. Gilber(Allies)

Gilles

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 282
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/3/2021 9:23:34 PM   
Scottydawg

The game against Will952--Will was Axis--resulted in total Allied defeat: the Axis earned a scripted decisive victory! I had always fancied visiting England someday...now I don't think they would allow me into their country. Awesome victory will.

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 283
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/6/2021 12:15:42 PM   
Hartmann301

Game finished: MarkusGeb(Allies) vs Hartmann301(Axis), Axis major victory, Oct 42

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 284
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/6/2021 5:18:14 PM   
Markiss

The ELO Rankings are updated as of today.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to Hartmann301)
Post #: 285
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/8/2021 1:00:51 AM   
Scottydawg

New [mirror] Game: Scottydawg (Allies) vs. KorporalKeith (Axis)

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 286
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/9/2021 4:31:28 PM   
BPINisBACK

Game finished: El_Condoro(Axis) vs BPINisBACK(Allies), allies full victory on March, 45 after two hard years of fighthing at the East.

We start a new game inmediately changing sides, this is:
El_Condoro(Allies) vs BPINisBACK(Axis)

Go, go, go!

(in reply to Scottydawg)
Post #: 287
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/11/2021 11:45:16 AM   
JimWC

Game over JimWC (Axis), MarkusGeb (Allies), Axis victory May 1942.

I'm looking for a new Fall Weiss game, either side but would prefer to do Allies this time.

Jim

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 288
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/11/2021 11:54:13 AM   
MarkusGeb

Okay Jim, we could do so. I set up a game, but would prefer Fall Weiss II 20. PW is JimW

(in reply to JimWC)
Post #: 289
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/11/2021 4:28:07 PM   
Markiss

Game Completed, KorporalKeith(Axis) vs Markiss(Allies), Allied victory, February, 1946.

At one point, my opponent owned everything from Moscow to London, but could not keep a grip on his vast empire in the long run.

(in reply to MarkusGeb)
Post #: 290
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/12/2021 8:00:17 AM   
BPINisBACK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Markiss

Game Completed, KorporalKeith(Axis) vs Markiss(Allies), Allied victory, February, 1946.

At one point, my opponent owned everything from Moscow to London, but could not keep a grip on his vast empire in the long run.

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 291
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/12/2021 8:34:17 PM   
Hartmann301

New game started: PJL1973(Allies) vs Hartmann301(Axis)

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 292
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/16/2021 9:36:15 PM   
Markiss

New Game, Markiss(Axis) vs KorporalKeith(Allies)

KorporalKeith has claimed the right of revenge! and he shall be accommodated....

(in reply to Hartmann301)
Post #: 293
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/18/2021 9:11:15 AM   
Gilber

game ended Hartmann301 Axis Vs Gilber Allies Allies Victory Jully 43

nice game. regular turns in spite of the time difference that separated us.

an interesting and relatively balanced game until the Allies gained power and gradually took the advantage.

Nice naval battles where Hartman surprised me several times by destroying allied carriers (which I thought were very well protected).

despite this defeat Hartmann should continue to climb in the general ranking. to be continued ....

Gilles

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 294
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/18/2021 9:13:59 PM   
MJY

Game Completed

MJY (Allies) defeats Hartmann_301 (Axis) -- Decisive Allied Victory, August 26, 1946

It was dicey for the Allies for a while, but the the economic power of the Allies eventually made itself felt. Continued attrition eventually led to an Axis collapse in 1945. Overall, a good game. Played to the bitter end. Quick turn around on moves from both players. No doubt we will have at it again in the future.

(in reply to Gilber)
Post #: 295
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 3/21/2021 4:19:32 PM   
Gilber

New Game Started Fenndon (Axis) Vs Gilber (Allies)

Gilles

(in reply to MJY)
Post #: 296
Problem with all 1.20 games - 3/25/2021 10:58:20 AM   
The Land

Just wanted to check everyone was aware that all games in the 1.20 patch suffer a bug where Russian infantry is overpowered - it starts the game equal to everyone else, but also remains eligible for level 3 infantry weapons.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4984582

The Allied player can partially mitigate this by not researching (or not using, if researched) level 3 infantry weapons. But even that does not restore balance completely (as if you research infantry weapons at the normal rate, the Russians will reach equivalence with the Germans earlier and Barbarossas will be slower and more expensive).

(in reply to Gilber)
Post #: 297
RE: Problem with all 1.20 games - 3/25/2021 1:42:16 PM   
Markiss

If I recall, this happened once before.

You must adapt, improvise, and overcome. Or, if your opponent agrees, you can cancel your current match, and start over when the next patch arrives.

We all know that a patch which changes the game balance is possible in the middle of a match.

This wasn't done on purpose.

Such are the fortunes of war.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 298
RE: Problem with all 1.20 games - 3/29/2021 10:04:01 PM   
Scottydawg

Scottydawg (Axis) vs. Finstro (Allies); Axis victory April, 1944

< Message edited by Scottydawg -- 3/29/2021 10:08:41 PM >

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 299
RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe EL... - 4/2/2021 10:06:48 PM   
KorporalKeith

I'll try. Keith

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Multiplayer (PBEM and head to head) >> RE: The NEW Official Strategic Command War in Europe ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI