Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I know its too late to ask about new features

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> I know its too late to ask about new features Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I know its too late to ask about new features - 2/27/2021 12:10:30 PM   
Ballista

Especially to the interface, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Is there any way to implement a hold and drag the map if have nothing under the cursor to allow scrolling the map ? Then you can free the mousewheel for zoom purposes (in/ out). This makes moving around so much easier. The current system does work well (and the screen views is nice), but it is a bit fiddly at times.

Also, would it be possible to kind of "alter" hex stacks so that if there is more than 1 unit in it, it does not look like there is only the top unit in the hex (and the number above does not do it justice). The numbers above work, but its missing that feel you get from board games (one of those little tactile feeling things that computer games miss out on since they are in essence, 2D). Maybe a small offset underneath that looks like 2 counters etc. And since there can be a lot of counters in a hex, maybe there are 3 versions- no offset (1 counter), two offsets (2 counters), three offsets (3 or more counters). It can be a generic blank counter color offset- something to lend it a little bit of 3D-ness that helps it stand out from the beautiful map underneath.

Just some spitball ideas that I've seen (and used myself) elsewhere that seemed to work well for large maps.

Realized its a bit rambling post, so attached is a quick screenshot and explanation from something (incomplete but functional) stuff I've done in the past:

The on map part is a bit extreme (as intended) but the force Info box is more of what I'm trying to get at :D

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: I know its too late to ask about new features - 3/3/2021 4:04:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Years ago I did quite a lot of work on having multiple units in a hex appear 'layered', with the units underneath partially shown.

All of that effort turned out quite worthless. While it seems feasible since only 3 land combat units can be in a hex, once you throw in the air units and possible naval units (say in a port), then layering the units doesn't work. Either the unit stack depiction exceeds the available room in the hex or the tiny bit of each of the underneath units is so small as to be meaningless.

---

Dragging the map would add yet another way to reposition what par of the map is shown on the screen. You can use the automatic scroll edges (top, bottom, left, right) to do what you suggest. I use the shift key in combination with the mouse scroll wheel to move left/right, and the mouse scroll wheel without the shift key to scroll up/down. The arrow keys on a key pad also work with nice results.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 2
RE: I know its too late to ask about new features - 3/5/2021 10:43:14 AM   
Ballista

Yeah I kind of figured that was old territory that had been worked on. Never hurts to ask ! Now If was just a left-handed mouse user it would be easier I think.... :D

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> I know its too late to ask about new features Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI