Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How often do you format your system?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How often do you format your system? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How often do you format your system? - 8/14/2003 9:51:30 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Considering the hassle of the well known virus that is being discussed currently.
Just wondering, how often does everyone format their system?

I do it fairly regular, keeps unwanted sludge off the system actually.

I have gotten quite good at the whole process thanks to getting Win XP (which makes formatting a computer a snap).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 8/14/2003 10:54:51 AM   
Knavery2112

Funny that you ask. If you're talking about the RPC virus that makes your computer shut down, I was close. I went to Microsoft, found a patch, installed it and re-booted. I also put the WinXP disk in, booted from it, and ran 'chkdsk /r', which repaired some files. I then downloaded Zonealarm and now everything is peachy...:)

Otherwise... About once every 9 months, 8 days, 33 minutes and 21 seconds. That's about how often I format and start over.

Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 8/14/2003 1:57:32 PM   
BrubakerII

I definitely panicked too quickly and reformatted. In hindsight a quick visit to one of the virus sites would have given me the tools to clean the system.

How often do I format? About once a year. When? Usually 5 minutes before I get around to backing up my files :(

Brubaker

Post #: 3
- 8/14/2003 8:36:43 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Sarge tip of the day, don't get suckered into thinking re writable cds have any worth.

That notion cost me a bajillion scans last format :(

But a good notion is to keep a cd handy with the set up files of all your handy doodle programs like zone alarm for instance. Because when you format, you go back to square one, and that also means no internet initially, so downloading stuff is not immediately an option.

I have a cd that has all my fav programs just a click and set up routine away. Latest version of Win amp no problem. Latest version Media player just a mouse click. Latest DirectX same deal
All the stuff you bought a computer for in the first place.

One thing that makes me scratch my head is hearing how some will comment "well I don't actually have system disks".
Can't think of a bigger error where computers are concerned
When I buy a computer, I get handed genuine OS disks or the machine is not worth squat to me. Only a fool buys a computer with an OS installed and no original OS software disks provided.

Post #: 4
- 8/15/2003 3:56:47 AM   
Fred98

I never format a hard disk.

When they die I just get a new one. Like those throw away cameras :)

Post #: 5
- 8/15/2003 10:21:01 PM   
Procrustes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]I never format a hard disk.

When they die I just get a new one. Like those throw away cameras :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Me too. It's way too much hassle reinstalling the OS and all that software (if I can even find it - not like I make a backup of everything that gets downloaded, unfortunately.) And I can't guarantee that I'll have every bit of data backed up, either.

Computer is like a car - basic maintenance & tune up, but don't rebuild your engine just for the hell of it. When it breaks I'll fix it. In the meantime I do the occasional defrags and try to keep the extraneous software to a minimum. And I keep the antivirus/firewall up-to-date and try to make sure I have a copy of all that stuff I can't recreate stashed somewhere. (but there is always something I missed...)

Post #: 6
- 8/16/2003 5:24:36 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

God I wish I could afford hard drives that easy hehe.

Me,I download stuff it goes to burned cd.
If I type up anything of merit it goes to burned cd.

I never use a program if I don't actually have the real deal either.

I like XP because XP makes mincemeat of the process of formating a system. First OS that has ever done that, that I recall.

98SE the only thing I can say about it, is it will run some of my old wargames that are increasingly being bettered by new programs.

Blue screen, hmmmm that was something that happened with computers and involved a blue screen correct? Been so long since I have seen one, my recollection is a bit faded now.

One thing I like about XP, it doesn't run around and have a snit if I lose power suddenly (rather handy this weekend).
With 98 SE or earlier, losing power meant it insisted on repairing something. It it liked blue screens too.

But even XP benefits from the ole clean out. Pack up your troubles and format. Best way to know something you don't want there ain't there, is to format.

Of course some people just like to hoard garbage on their computer, and won't do anything to safeguard it.

Post #: 7
- 8/16/2003 11:09:35 AM   
Lars Remmen

I don't reformat. But I do sometimes Ghost my system drive back to normal. Usually when I've been doing a bit too much tinkering with different settings and I forget what I did to what...

Using Ghost is easy and quick. The version I have will let you do a ghost of a NTFS partition but it'll only write to FAT/FAT32 partitions.

My advice is that once you have a clean install with all updates and perhaps an office pack, write a ghost image file. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Regards,

Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 8
- 8/16/2003 1:57:08 PM   
BrubakerII

HI Lars

Can you please explain this concept of 'ghosting'? Is this in fact similar to the Windows restore function? I am using XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Brubaker.

PS: I have toyed with the concept of buying a 2nd HD purely to backup to.

Post #: 9
- 8/16/2003 2:02:43 PM   
Fred98

The second hard disk could internal or external - with a USB connection.

If it is external its isolated from your system.

I suppose that if you copy an infected file to it then being isolated is not so relevant.

Post #: 10
- 8/16/2003 3:56:06 PM   
e_barkmann

Ghosting (ie using Norton Ghost) your drive works well if you have a second drive and 2 partitions or more on your primary drive.

I will usually ghost the c: partition and store that file on the secondary drive.

This means if things go pear shaped, I can restore the ghost image over c: in a reasonably short period of time. I tend to make my c: partition no more than about 2 GB and use it just for the windows OS.

If you have an old version of ghost it will not be compatible with NTFS but I have got around that by originally formatting my drives with FAT32.

Then all I do is insert a boot disk, boot to dos, perform the ghost backup and then reboot to xp.

It's simpler than it sounds :-)

I have never found the windows restore function to work. Ghost is flawless.

ps for those who like tidy systems, [url]www.litepc.com[/url] (the people who brought you the fantastic 98Lite) are about to release XPlite...can't wait!

Post #: 11
- 8/17/2003 5:17:54 AM   
junk2drive

i bought two racks from [url]www.allstarshop.com[/url] by vantec. they allow me two swap an old 8gig hdd from my puter to the wife's. not hot swappable but if i know its time to backup, i plug it in before i power on. i also leave it in for virtual memory to have if needed.

Post #: 12
IS it necessary? - 8/17/2003 9:58:11 PM   
Blunderbuss

If I format my HD, will it extend it's lifetime? It's not something I'd considered doing until I saw this thread. Apart from MAME, all my programs (inc. XP) are on CD-ROM. I already de-frag. and clean up once a week. How long is a HD expected to last?

Post #: 13
- 8/17/2003 10:30:54 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have never once seen a hard drive die of old age or excessive use ever.

I think I wore out a cd rom drive once, or at least it was getting to operate in a suspect fashion.

I have friends that are of the opinion it is just a matter of time, but heck you can say that about anything eh.

I have been using a personal computer of the PC labelled sort since 1990. In that time, I have upgraded and as a result said goodbye to my computer long before it had any mechanical breakdown occur.

I dumped my PS1 on my sister. I traded a 486 system on a friend in trade for a washer dryer. My current system was originally bought as a 300MMX system, and now currently exists as a 800 celeron. The only original purchase items are the keyboard printer and scanner.
I started off with a 1.9 gig drive, added a 2.4 that a friend said was not worth the space in his case. I then bought a 40 gig drive which I still have.

If this drive has been formatted once, it has been formatted 40 times in 2 years. One weekend I formatted it 7 times while learning how to do it.

I can't say what formatting does to a drive physically. I only know nothing wipes a slate clean faster easier and more reliably.
Windows is great at retaining garbage and left over junk though.

The best piece of hardware I ever bought was the cd burner. It allows me to make reliable secure copies of data I don't want lost.
I have a friend her system is near worthless, the reason, to much junk on the drive, and she doesn't want to lose it all. Last I heard it was in a corner never used. Might as well be a box of odds and ends in her attic for all the good it is.

Post #: 14
- 8/18/2003 1:51:25 AM   
Blunderbuss

So the HD is likely to last as long as it has sufficient capacity for your needs? That is good news.

I have noticed that after I have uninstalled a program AND cleaned up the HD, I still come across fragments of the supposedly deleted program. Very strange. Then again, it might just be the case that I don't have enough knowledge of computers in general (ie I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing).:confused: I've been getting my videogaming thrills from games consoles for the last seven years.

Post #: 15
- 8/18/2003 2:28:35 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Sometimes a program will leave residue in the registry, real hassle there.

If you intentionally change anything that is part of the default install that will leave remains as well. For instance if you direct the program to install to a folder of your own creation, or if you set up a specific folder on the start menu bar.

Some programs like games will leave behind save program folders

Post #: 16
- 8/18/2003 5:24:20 AM   
chief

Les the cpl: Get reg clean (freeware) it'll get rid of unwanted registry items after you delete unwanted programs. FWIW:) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 17
- 8/18/2003 5:28:06 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

While on the surface not bad advice, but, I have been chewed out soooooooo often by my buddies that have had to fix the problems resulting from my forays into the computer hehe.

Some programs promise to "clean up" portions of the computer, but they are rarely able to discern the difference between what you want and what you need hehe.

When "removing" anything from the computer, one must always know the cosequences of said removal.

Some wonder clean programs might as well be formatting sometimes heheh.

Case in point, I once told an anti virus yes you may delete that infected file. Seemed like the right thing to do. Poof my computer no longer had the capacity to open the thing we call a "window".

I had the pleasure of re installing Windows thanks to the advice of the anti virus program.

Post #: 18
- 8/18/2003 5:38:05 AM   
chief

Les de sarg. The reason I mentioned reg clean is that when I wanted to enter an updated copy of an old deleted game it wouldn't enter, it told me I still had same in mac hine. Not wanting to screw up registry I downloaded same and poof the magic worked and has been working for 3 years now with no problems. Great little program for the price.:) :)

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 19
C:/format - 8/20/2003 11:13:27 PM   
DVDN

I find myself C:/formatting two or three times a year, depending on the op sys I am using. Presently that is ME, which
rears it's ugly head from time to time, and forces me to format.
I have XP home now, but I have not yet installed it on any of my
pcs.

DVDN

Post #: 20
- 8/21/2003 9:16:25 AM   
junk2drive

you dont know what you're missing by not installing xp.
you will be missing blue screens of death, slower operation, lack of freedom.
i thought xp was just a preety face till i got it. much more user friendly.
dont try to install it from a pirate copy or put one copy on more than one pc. u need service pack 1 from windows update. it will not work with copies.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How often do you format your system? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI