Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games (2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games (2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games (2vs... - 3/7/2021 4:31:57 PM   
Niedowidek_slith

Commanders,

I would like to present you an utility that (I hope) could help in managing PBEM team games i.e. games with two or more players on each side.

Telemecus described team games in details here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4788425

PBEM-- has two parts. Client is a Java program that you use on your computer. Client connects to Server part which has a database and stores team games (called "matches"), users, orders, reports etc.

So, in essence, it works a bit like Matrix PBEM++ but allows to play 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4 players (and any other combination including co-op games against AI). It is however an external program so you need to upload and download savegames using Client.

Before I say more, please bear in mind that this is the first publicly available version, so treat it like a beta version. Improvements will come and in fact are necessary.

Here is more detailed manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjxha9kd7cfxnir/PBEM--%20User%20Manual%2020210308_0849.pdf?dl=0
but below I provide a short description.

First, you download Client from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf7egsklfhxctbv/wite-multi-pbem-8mp-client-1.4.5.jar?dl=0

(If you don't have Java installed, follow instructions found here: https://www.java.com/ )

Then double-click downloaded JAR file. Window like this should open:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Niedowidek_slith -- 3/8/2021 6:51:25 AM >

The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer
with a map.
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games ... - 3/8/2021 5:06:45 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

(Original post has been divided to include all the images properly)

Please create an account. Then login to it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Niedowidek_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games ... - 3/8/2021 5:09:32 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

Then create your first match and invite your friends.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games ... - 3/8/2021 5:10:15 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

General rule of interface is that a green area is your friend.

Here, green area has all you current games (those in bold are the ones you can open because it's your turn).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games ... - 3/8/2021 5:10:42 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

After opening a game you'll see the game's (match's) details.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Niedowidek_slith -- 3/8/2021 5:12:16 AM >

with a map.

Post #: 5
RE: PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games ... - 3/8/2021 5:12:40 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

Again, green is your friend as it contains orders from team leader and reports from other players. You also write your report here.

Upper part (grey) - basic info about your match.
Lower part (purple) - your last actions (download, upload, update of match's info)

Important thing:
- Download and upload are for managing savegames - sending them to and getting them from the Server. Downloading locks the match for other players - they won't be able to open the match nor download or upload their savegame. So it prevents messing up the savegame in a situation when two players simultaneously downloads and make moves without knowing about each other.
- Update is for orders and reports. It doesn't make any changes to savegame. It doesnt lock the match.

I hope it's enough for start (manual has more details) and I really really hope that you would be interested in using it. I would recommend to test it on a small scenario. If anything fails in Client or Server, you still can use your savegame as in traditional PBEM (sending it via email). But if it fails, please tell me and I'll try to fix it.

It is made for WITE, but would be easy to use with WITW or WITE 2 (when it comes).

I'll be happy to add new features if you, Commanders, start to use it and find it helpful.

Artur

with a map.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> PBEM-- - tool to facilitate multiplayer team games (2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI