Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  353 354 [355] 356 357   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 2:44:46 PM   
USSAmerica

INP!

Fore the Glory of THE THREAD!!!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 10621
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 2:57:05 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

So the dry weather this past week finally allowed them to break ground and pour the foundation for our house! Now you lot won't have to listen to me whine about the weather... as much.

I am always astonished by the simplicity and speed of how the most of family homes are build in the USA...

BTW, Mike, have you ever heard that someone you know build the house in the "European style" (i.e. basement, deep reinforced concrete foundations, reinforced concrete sides, brick walls etc.)?

Hey Leo, it's common in a lot of parts of the USA to build basements, at least 1/2 to 3/4 below ground level. They are more common in the northern and older parts of the country. I don't know how deep you mean for reinforced concrete foundations, but the one for my house is around 3 feet deep. Very few houses are built with concrete sides over here, but plenty of commercial buildings are. Bricks are frequently used above the foundation level instead of other forms of siding, but only for appearance and ease of maintenance. Most exterior brick walls on houses here are only the outside layer of wood frame walls. A good German friend that some of you may remember from these parts as Historiker commented more than once on the big differences in construction methods between the US and Europe.

You would consider our houses as "bunkers"...

But the speed of building and the overall price must be a driving moment here (i.e. why the houses in Europe differ so much to houses in USA):..

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 10622
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 3:02:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

So the dry weather this past week finally allowed them to break ground and pour the foundation for our house! Now you lot won't have to listen to me whine about the weather... as much.

I am always astonished by the simplicity and speed of how the most of family homes are build in the USA...

BTW, Mike, have you ever heard that someone you know build the house in the "European style" (i.e. basement, deep reinforced concrete foundations, reinforced concrete sides, brick walls etc.)?

Hey Leo, it's common in a lot of parts of the USA to build basements, at least 1/2 to 3/4 below ground level. They are more common in the northern and older parts of the country. I don't know how deep you mean for reinforced concrete foundations, but the one for my house is around 3 feet deep. Very few houses are built with concrete sides over here, but plenty of commercial buildings are. Bricks are frequently used above the foundation level instead of other forms of siding, but only for appearance and ease of maintenance. Most exterior brick walls on houses here are only the outside layer of wood frame walls. A good German friend that some of you may remember from these parts as Historiker commented more than once on the big differences in construction methods between the US and Europe.

But the speed of building and the overall price must be a driving moment here (i.e. why the houses in Europe differ so much to houses in USA):..

Leo "Apollo11"

I grew up in a house with a solid poured concrete basement, brink on the outside but wood facia and soffit then asphalt shingles. With a wood furnace in the basement, the kitchen tile floor was warm on the coldest days.

We don't have to worry about earthquakes, the earth only moves about once a week around here with a loud BOOM! first. Minor flooding, not like Iowa in 1993. No strong tornadoes either, lots of fresh water.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 10623
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 3:04:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

But if someone wanted to give me this house I wouldn't say no to it.

That is a nice house 🏠 👌....GP

Dual chimneys means at least one fireplace if not two. Any gas exhaust might be vented out back.

― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 10624
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 3:07:50 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Certainly cost is the biggest factor. I'm sure plenty of market analysis was done a long time ago to determine what builders could sell more of and what buyers were willing to accept for a given amount of money.

Mike

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 10625
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 3:09:01 PM   
RangerJoe

Good morning!

My Sweet Pea wants to play fetch with me. She brings me a toy so I throw it, she plays with it then runs back to me carrying the toy, then she drops it. Her favorites for doing this are either a rattle with a mouse around it or even better, half of one of the hollow balls with a bell in it. Break one in half and she has three toys. I usually break them by accidentally stepping on them but she likes them better that way.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 3/8/2021 3:10:45 PM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10626
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 3:35:32 PM   
Orm

quote:

INP!

Fore the Glory of THE THREAD!!!

All hail THE THREAD!!! All hail USSAmerica.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 10627
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 5:20:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

I suppose what I would like to have if I ever got a house it wouldn't be in the "European style". I would prefer something in a traditional Swedish style built in wood. Perhaps a newly built variant (or restored) of the one in the picture below.

The North American Log Cabin or Log Home actually comes from New Sweden. Some of them are still being made, some of them commercially.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10628
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 7:38:04 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I would still have put a basement in. It is the cheapest addition that you can add to a house. Then there is also no need to build a crawl space for the snakes, skunks, and other varmints.

Basements are not practical in some areas due to certain conditions. For me its the water table, its four feet under my house.

quote:

Fortunately, it is never cold enough, long enough for the ground to freeze in the Winter here, so we don't have to deal with much expansion and contracting of the soil.

But if you did with such soil this could cause problems for a full basement. IIRC there are some similar problems in north Texas.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10629
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/8/2021 9:11:09 PM   
RangerJoe

With a good poured concrete basement or a rockwall basement, there is no problem with the ground freezing as long as you go deep enough.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10630
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 4:16:05 AM   
Orm

Good morning. Gentlemen. Ladies.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10631
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 7:25:32 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10632
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 8:37:38 AM   
Ambassador

Good morning, everyone !

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 10633
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 8:42:46 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

I grew up in a house with a solid poured concrete basement, brink on the outside but wood facia and soffit then asphalt shingles. With a wood furnace in the basement, the kitchen tile floor was warm on the coldest days.

We don't have to worry about earthquakes, the earth only moves about once a week around here with a loud BOOM! first. Minor flooding, not like Iowa in 1993. No strong tornadoes either, lots of fresh water.

I couldn’t imagine living in a home without brick or concrete (plus a layer of bricks for appearance) walls.

Or maybe an old stone manor, but these get expensive nowadays.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10634
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 11:28:07 AM   
btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10635
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 1:13:44 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 10636
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 1:32:52 PM   
RangerJoe

Good morning!

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 10637
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 1:39:00 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

I couldn’t imagine living in a home without brick or concrete (plus a layer of bricks for appearance) walls.

Or maybe an old stone manor, but these get expensive nowadays.

Yes, those European houses looked very solid and should last a long time - unless the Earth suddenly moves violently!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10638
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 4:04:08 PM   
BBfanboy

There was, in the last few years, a village in Italy that suffered a lot of building collapse and casualties during a strong earthquake. Anyplace that has young, rocky mountains is prone to earthquakes since earth movement is what is building the mountains in the first place. The Italians knew this but there is never enough money to earthquake-proof legacy buildings from previous centuries.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10639
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/9/2021 4:22:54 PM   
RangerJoe

Well, I know a place that has old mountains and the usually ground shakes once a week, preceded by a BOOM! Usually around the same time every week, no less or more than a half hour difference from week to week.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10640
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 4:11:50 AM   
Orm

Good morning, Gentlemen. Ladies.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10641
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 5:25:30 AM   
Ambassador

Hello,

Need coffee...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10642
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 6:22:21 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10643
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 6:23:49 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Hello,

Need coffee...

How was the interview accepted (now with 2-week time gap)?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10644
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 11:49:20 AM   
btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 10645
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 2:32:56 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Hello,

Need coffee...

Yes, that is true!

Although I have a female friend that wakes up early in the morning, wanting attention right away and she does not drink coffee at all!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10646
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 2:48:59 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Hello,

Need coffee...

Leo "Apollo11"

Very well, thank you. It was published on a double page, and my article was the most-read one for three days straight (above all others, including sports, politics and Covid articles). Lots of good comments.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 10647
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 2:57:53 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Hello,

Need coffee...

Leo "Apollo11"

Very well, thank you. It was published on a double page, and my article was the most-read one for three days straight (above all others, including sports, politics and Covid articles). Lots of good comments.

Congratulations!

Is there a link?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10648
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 5:01:41 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Hello,

Need coffee...

Leo "Apollo11"

Congratulations!

Is there a link?

Do you read French ?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10649
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/10/2021 5:02:03 PM   
Ambassador

And while we’re here...

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 10650
Page:   <<   < prev  353 354 [355] 356 357   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  353 354 [355] 356 357   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI