Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Zealand friends???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New Zealand friends??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/22/2011 9:05:32 PM   
Buck Beach

This is a post from another forum I read:

Yes I live up in Auckland quite some distance from the quake zone, but yeah this one is going to affect the whole country one way or another.    New Zealand is only about the same size and Colorado and has a similar population of around 4 million.   Most people in NZ would know someone or have family living in the area.

Around 360,000 people live in the quake zone.   There are around 160,000 houses, and they estimate that around 100,000 of them have been damaged in some way.

The aftershocks have been rather ongoing, and the folks down south have had a number of sleepless nights.   Now that the initial shock of the quake has worn off, people are now facing the reality of the long term ongoing disruption, from those who have damaged houses, to those whose places of work...  especially the older pre-WW2 concrete buildings in the downtown area which collapsed, or need to be demolished because they are beyond repair.    For some people their workplace or office building simply no longer exists.

Today they announced that one of the supermarkets, in one of the badly hit areas will need to close for a year so that it can be re-built.   That supermarket employs over 80 people.    This will only be the beginning as other business are forced to close because of the quake.

Buck

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 31
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/22/2011 9:08:32 PM   
Andav

Glad to hear you are OK Al! Thanks for the pictures. George was talking about "Taking the war to the Home Islands ..." I am not sure what this actually means ...

Walter

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 32
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/22/2011 9:20:07 PM   
Ossian

I have several friends who live in NZ but they are all around Hamilton way up on the North island so I'm guessing they're fine. My heart goes out to everyone in Christchurch and NZ.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 33
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/22/2011 10:10:30 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

My heart goes out to everyone in Christchurch and NZ.

+1

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 34
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/23/2011 1:43:17 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Hi;

My family and I are fine. Divepak lives a good distance further south and should be OK.

The first quake was pretty awful but this one, while being smaller on the richter scale, was closer and shallower. It also appeared to be lateral shaking rather than vertical, which the first one appeared to be. Buildings that had survived the first shake and 4000 aftershocks were probably slowly being undermined (although very regularly checked). This time they came down, and not just heritage buildings (altough they've been seriously thumped this time too). The central city has been seriously damaged with liquifaction.

I went INTO town to pick up my son. A picture of the liquifaction covering cars as I tried to drive past

Wow..that is an amazing amount of liquifaction! Is the area an old riverbed or fill? Can you imagine all the foundations?

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 35
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/23/2011 3:50:21 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Heard it just now!

Hey I hope all of you guys in the Christchurch area are ok!!!

Good luck over there, I wish I could do something to help.

Same here (regarding LoBaron's post) Has me worried! This is so devastating! I hope everyone will be ok. I saw the coverage on TV tonight. It broke my heart. I hope we can provide any assistance we can!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 36
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/24/2011 6:38:28 PM   
aprezto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Hi;

My family and I are fine. Divepak lives a good distance further south and should be OK.

The first quake was pretty awful but this one, while being smaller on the richter scale, was closer and shallower. It also appeared to be lateral shaking rather than vertical, which the first one appeared to be. Buildings that had survived the first shake and 4000 aftershocks were probably slowly being undermined (although very regularly checked). This time they came down, and not just heritage buildings (altough they've been seriously thumped this time too). The central city has been seriously damaged with liquifaction.

I went INTO town to pick up my son. A picture of the liquifaction covering cars as I tried to drive past

Wow..that is an amazing amount of liquifaction! Is the area an old riverbed or fill? Can you imagine all the foundations?

Hi Cap;

Yes Canterbury is on a large alluvial plain. A lot of the city was built on drained swamp land too. In hindsight not such a clever step. Liquifaction has hit in spades. Out my gate there are very regular mounds of silt 2 metres high (pushed there by residents or road workers). Silt Silt everywhere.
My house is standing. I have power. I have Internet. I have running water - although of dubious quality and pressure. Just no waste water. Managed to restock the food this morning. All in all - we are in very good shape. So much better off than others.
My immediate boss is camping in his back lawn - his house has cracked in two. His boss' house has filled with half a meter of silt and slumped to one side - will also have to be bowled. I work for a general practitioner support company, one of our surgeries was in one of the towers that fell - of the 11 (at the latest estimate) there at the time one survived.
Certainly it is unreal

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 37
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 2:43:03 AM   
JeffroK

Azprezto

Good to see that you have come through.

I've been watching a lot of coverage on Sky, as many reporters had been affected in some way its been good. Sadly the lot that arrived from OZ have been a bit tmore dramatic.
After comparing their coverage of the Cyclone with the comments from my sister who lives in Cardwell (about 30km from the eye) I prefer to watch the pictures and turn down the sound.
Sad because its such a terrible occaision. i also live in a town that was burnt out many years back so my wife's family have memories of similar devastation & loss of life.

Someone wrote of OZ being a land of "Droughts & Flooding Rains", what did they write about the shaky islands??

I booked a trip to CChurch on 1 Sept last year, for travel starting 3 March. (Maybe its all my fault, we went to Ayers Rock last year and got flooded out of Kings Canyon & the Todd flowed twice during our stay!)

So after checking with the Motels & car company I'll fly in at midnight, stay a night and head to Dunnydin and the Southland for a fortnight.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 38
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 2:51:38 AM   
stuman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Hi;

Hi Cap;

Yes Canterbury is on a large alluvial plain. A lot of the city was built on drained swamp land too. In hindsight not such a clever step. Liquifaction has hit in spades. Out my gate there are very regular mounds of silt 2 metres high (pushed there by residents or road workers). Silt Silt everywhere.
My house is standing. I have power. I have Internet. I have running water - although of dubious quality and pressure. Just no waste water. Managed to restock the food this morning. All in all - we are in very good shape. So much better off than others.
My immediate boss is camping in his back lawn - his house has cracked in two. His boss' house has filled with half a meter of silt and slumped to one side - will also have to be bowled. I work for a general practitioner support company, one of our surgeries was in one of the towers that fell - of the 11 (at the latest estimate) there at the time one survived.
Certainly it is unreal

I am glad to hear you are ok. Terrible news about the loss of life.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 39
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 3:52:46 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I'll be heading to a fundraiser put on by the local Kiwi Chamber of Commerce, of which I am a member, and NZ Embassy this evening. I've got quite a few NZ friends and clients and this is a shocker. Although I lost an Aussie friend in the Queensland floods, I think everyone I know survived this one. Of course, that's no comfort for those with family and friends buried under rubble.

All the best to you Kiwis on this forum. I'm sure you'll pull through this and be better than ever.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 40
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 9:01:54 AM   
aprezto

The first one was 'wow, we got away with it'. Honestly we were patting ourselves on the back at how our building codes had saved everyone. Lots of that stuff. Everyone knew that it was because of the time the first one hit - 4 in the morning. and secretly we all saw the damage that the first one cause to places that would have been filled with people during a business day lunchtime.

this was during a business day lunchtime.

The first quake was 7.1 on the richter scale, 45 km from Christchurch, at a depth of 15 km, with a ground acceleration of .8 G ( basically the sideways speed the quake goes). The latest one was 6.3 richter but 10 km from Christchurch at 5 km depth, but with a ground acceleration of 1.2 G.... this is the difference.

There was 30 million tonnes of silt came up with liquifaction last earthquake, this time it is 120- 160 million.

I am a little humbled. I just don't know how to portray the depth of it. The place is trashed. It takes 4 hours to cross a space that would usually take 15 minutes.

All this aside - New Zealand is one of the most earthquake prepared nations in the world. Things could have been so much worse.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 41
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 9:13:09 AM   
d0mbo

Can only wish you NZ folks all the best and a speedy recovery!

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 42
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/25/2011 10:13:39 AM   
Cyber Me

The damage looks very severe. But the aftermath can be harder to live through. Best wishes to our NZ cousins for a quick recovery. I trust your next few weeks will be helped with world wide support and aid. I'm off to make some donations too.

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 43
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/26/2011 3:42:02 AM   
Stuffedlogon

It's been hard to watch the constant news coverage.....I know that the ANZAC strirt will help you all to overcome this tragic event.

(in reply to Cyber Me)
Post #: 44
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/27/2011 9:36:27 PM   
Crocky

My family and I are fine we live in Christchurch .... No power or water or sewer it all stuffed house has cracks right thru it and some door wont shut but liveable ... sleeping downstairs atm with kids

Yikes another big after shock

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to Stuffedlogon)
Post #: 45
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/28/2011 6:52:07 AM   
JeffroK

Gday Crocky

Seems like there are areas VERY badly damaged and others with only minimal damage. Hopefully it will settle down soon and you can get back to rebuilding, if its not too windy!. And only if you can entice all those tradies who fled to Cairns & Brisbane back onto the job.

I'm heading there on Wednesday and have been told (hopefully truthfully) that I'll be OK.  Heading south after a couple of days to see the sights.

PS, My wifes family name id Blair, got any Convicts in the family tree?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Crocky)
Post #: 46
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/28/2011 8:25:58 AM   
CaptBeefheart

We ended up raising 7 million won on Friday night (that sounds like a lot, but it's actually about $6,500). A small amount, but it will hopefully make people's lives a bit easier down there.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 2/28/2011 8:27:16 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 47
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/28/2011 8:42:11 AM   
Saros

Now 150 people confirmed dead with a whole lot more still missing. I live on the west side of the city and everything is pretty much okay here apart from a few less chimneys than there were.
Aprezto is right in saying we were extremely lucky the first time and we all hoped the city had 'gotten away with it.' Apparently not though.

Thanks to everyone who is helping out. Its really amazing and humbling how generous people have been.

(in reply to Crocky)
Post #: 48
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/28/2011 9:42:13 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saros

Now 150 people confirmed dead with a whole lot more still missing. I live on the west side of the city and everything is pretty much okay here apart from a few less chimneys than there were.
Aprezto is right in saying we were extremely lucky the first time and we all hoped the city had 'gotten away with it.' Apparently not though.

Thanks to everyone who is helping out. Its really amazing and humbling how generous people have been.

Glad you are safe.

Do you guys know of any charity funds that may have been set up in case any of us might wish to help out ?

There is this of course: http://www.redcross.org.nz/cms_display.php

< Message edited by stuman -- 2/28/2011 9:45:10 AM >

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 49
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 2/28/2011 10:48:57 AM   
Saros

I found a list of places taking donations

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/promotions/news/article.cfm?c_id=500848&objectid=10671104

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 50
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/9/2011 9:11:24 PM   
witpqs

See this blog post:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2011/03/post-earthquake-images-of-christchurch.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/SbSV+(Google+LatLong)&utm_content=Google+Reader

One of the satellite companies is making high resolution images of Christchurch post-quake available via Google Earth. Download the KML file mentioned in the blog post (this file http://mw1.google.com/crisisresponse/2011/christchurch_earthquake/earthquake/geoeye/Christchurch_GeoEye-1_2011-02-26/Christchurch_GeoEye-1_2011-02-26.kml) and load it into Google Earth (Control-o).

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 51
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/9/2011 9:17:17 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/promotions/news/article.cfm?c_id=500848&objectid=10671104

Just make sure they are legit, and not a phony. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 52
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/10/2011 7:01:50 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

Just make sure they are legit, and not a phony. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

Good advice always. I decided to just donate via the Salvation Army.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 53
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/10/2011 1:30:10 PM   
Raverdave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crocky

My family and I are fine we live in Christchurch .... No power or water or sewer it all stuffed house has cracks right thru it and some door wont shut but liveable ... sleeping downstairs atm with kids

Yikes another big after shock

Crocky ! I am glad to hear that you are safe and well. For those of you who are new(ish) to this forum Crocky was one of the best players in the old days of Uncommon Valour, the grand daddy to WiTP-AE. Tis good to see some of the real old timers are still around.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Crocky)
Post #: 54
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 1:36:20 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hodugherty

The Best Sweet & Spicy CBD Infused BBQ Sauce RecipeGrilling season is here and the only way to do it right is to do it yourself. An age-old phrase that https://cbdacbd.com

Nice recipe. You dug deep for this thread....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Hodugherty)
Post #: 55
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 1:38:46 PM   
USSAmerica

Already reported him, GP.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 56
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 2:09:45 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Me too . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 57
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 2:15:59 PM   
RangerJoe

He did at least one more, a link to buy seeds . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 58
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 4:09:46 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Me too . . .

I was going to do it, but I suppose it’s of no use.

A ten-year necromancy, isn’t that some kind of record ?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 59
RE: New Zealand friends??? - 3/17/2021 4:24:23 PM   
btd64

Someone dug up a 2009 thread a few months back, but I don't remember what it was about....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New Zealand friends??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI