Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Managing a turn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Managing a turn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Managing a turn - 3/28/2021 5:48:42 AM   
39battalion

Really,really enjoying this great game.

Still in turn 1 but it is already my Game of the Year !

Many,many thanks to the developers.

There are so many interesting things to do before hitting the next turn button it would be useful to have a checklist of potential issues to check out. There is a useful overview section in the Manual (30.5) but I wonder if anybody who has played the game for a lengthy period during testing has a checklist they are willing to share ?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Managing a turn - 3/29/2021 4:41:26 PM   
jockstersi

Really interested in this as well. Any help/hints appreciated. Many thanks, Simon

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 2
RE: Managing a turn - 3/29/2021 7:39:03 PM   
loki100

I think this varies a lot across the game and by side.

As the Soviets I start by finding all my depleted air groups --- reserve. I then find those with low experience and off they go too (as its hard to regain experience on map but easier in the reserve).

I then back fill (here I'm assuming manual air control, the AI assist will do this for you) by bringing fresh units out of the reserve to replace these. At the start with the axis these are less important but worth a check.

as the Soviets check over your air reserve, newly raised air groups with low morale/exp sometimes pick up your best planes, replace these with older junk so they can train on them

every 4 or so turns, have a look for obsolete planes or new types

I then find low TOE SUs and send them to Stavka and/or the reserve (so they refit, or at least don't get destroyed). Do this as well as the axis but at the start its less important

set a refit rule in the CR for your combat units, say 40% TOE or whatever, flip these to refit and then use the map display to find them - move them out of the front lines and back to a depot to actually refit (the rules you use will of course vary according to circumstances) but this will also pick up anything that is unready or depleted

Towards the end of the ground phase I double check for new arrivals and anything still on trains (use the Commander's Report - its very easy to overlook both of these)

review your depot layout and priorities, make sure HQs are on depots if at all possible

(in reply to jockstersi)
Post #: 3
RE: Managing a turn - 3/30/2021 1:11:30 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

Just a few suggestions - by no means comprehensive

TURN START
1) do your FBDs at the beginning before you get carried away with moving the combat units. If they can move forward/repair into friendly territory great - get it done before you have the chance to forget. If there is going to be opposition along their route then unless there are complicating factors get that cleared and get them doing their repairs before you move onto dealing with the front line. With the latter remember that it may well be better to leave an FBD that is already on a depot and let it give a turns worth of bonus to the depot rather than spending MPs moving into pending hexes. But you still need to get those hexes cleared ready for the next turn.

TURN END
2) go to the HQ tab of the CR and check for any HQs that have a minus number for Command Capacity. Where it is straightforward try and reassign units/move HQs so you get the HQs at or under their capacity. This is v. important for your Assault HQs as if there is a HQ in the chain over capacity the combat units won't get the preparation point bonus that they normally would get.

3) go to the unit tab of the CR and sort by Distance to HQ . Again look for combat units with minus numbers for this which are out of command range. Move the HQs (or indeed the units if they have been 'left behind') as necessary to get them in range.

4) check through your AG/Front and Army HQs and try and make sure they are sat on depots.

As a more general opinion, certainly to begin with don't set yourself a massive checklist trying to manage every 'moving part' every turn. With stuff like your overall OOB management/SU distribution you can check for 'emergencies' each turn (e.g. check for HQs over capacity as above, check for low TOE SUs as described by loki) and only do a more in depth review every so often. Just as an example you could say that OOB/SU distribution/Air setup/logistics network are 4 areas where you might do a 'high level' review of one area each turn rather than trying to do all four every turn and overwhelming yourself.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Managing a turn - 3/30/2021 4:33:43 AM   
39battalion

Thank you Loki and Sammy..

Sammy's advice to not follow a massive checklist for every turn but to do a high level review of one area each turn is particularly helpful.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 5
RE: Managing a turn - 3/30/2021 5:32:29 AM   
The_Drill_SGT

quote:

TURN START
1) do your FBDs at the beginning before you get carried away with moving the combat units.

I second this from WITE1. The next thing I did there was to destroy encircled enemies before I lost track of which were previously trapped and which were newly done

after that, I moved infantry units forward, then armor units last to plug encirclement gaps.

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 6
RE: Managing a turn - 3/30/2021 5:50:16 AM   
jockstersi

Thanks Loki and Sammy, your advice is really appreciated. Cheers, Simon

(in reply to The_Drill_SGT)
Post #: 7
RE: Managing a turn - 3/30/2021 6:12:20 AM   
TheFerret

quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Drill_SGT

quote:

TURN START
1) do your FBDs at the beginning before you get carried away with moving the combat units.

I second this from WITE1. The next thing I did there was to destroy encircled enemies before I lost track of which were previously trapped and which were newly done

after that, I moved infantry units forward, then armor units last to plug encirclement gaps.

It looks like the unit status map mode highlights the opponent's visible isolated units. Though I haven't played with that map mode too much, I'm not sure if it will highlight newly isolated units too.

(in reply to The_Drill_SGT)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Managing a turn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI