Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/9/2021 4:06:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

If you do it yourself, that is the best way to learn. However, once you have done the turn you can save it and use it as many different times that you want to without having to reenter the orders.

The only downside is that the random AI choices and initial battle results (i.e., did Prince of Wales and Repulse survive?) are locked to the save. Which is fine... you just have to be happy with the Dec 8th A.M. status situation as your starting point, good, bad or mediocre.

Not locked in really. The saved turn one can be called up when you start a new game and then changes made before you run the turn. Force Z can try a different plan.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 331
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 8:01:32 PM   
Kull

quote:

First, in column G you can see in the heading "Cargo: Supply & Fuel" and all I have done is use the common color of creme to highlight the Unit Model/Type data, such as Euro L Cargo, etc. You can quickly see that both of the Euro L Cargo ships in Tjilatjap, Java need a port of size 2 minimum to dock for loading and unloading.

Second, in column K, denoted by the creme color, where "n" is the size port+ the ship can be docked. This helps me quickly scan the spreadsheet page and determine which ships are best suited for certain jobs during my setup phase.

Yes, very helpful! Feel free to post a link, should you so desire. I can then edit the first post and point to it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Not locked in really. The saved turn one can be called up when you start a new game and then changes made before you run the turn. Force Z can try a different plan.

Quite true. If you open any saved game and make changes to any unit orders, the "list of possible outcomes" for ALL units has altered. What IS locked is the AI variant (assuming more than one is present) - that can never be changed. This used to be a deal breaker for me, but all the newer AndyMac scenarios have only a single AI variant, so it's not an issue with those.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 332
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 8:45:01 PM   
RangerJoe

There may be a way to change the AI variant. If one knows which variant is being used and wants to go against another specific one, just switch them. Otherwise, just mix them up anyway to have a random but different AI script. Don't forget to save the originals in a different folder.

If you would wish to add to a script and have the AI hang around for a week bombing ships at Pearl Harbor and the vicinity . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 333
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 9:13:11 PM   
Kull

quote:

There may be a way to change the AI variant. If one knows which variant is being used and wants to go against another specific one, just switch them. Otherwise, just mix them up anyway to have a random but different AI script. Don't forget to save the originals in a different folder.

If you would wish to add to a script and have the AI hang around for a week bombing ships at Pearl Harbor and the vicinity . . .

Only when you start a new campaign. Once a game is saved, the AI variant is embedded within, and cannot be altered from that point forward.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 334
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 9:37:14 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

Only when you start a new campaign. Once a game is saved, the AI variant is embedded within, and cannot be altered from that point forward.

Thank you, I did not know that.

That means that the only way would be to get someone to edit the campaign file, if they had the ability, the means, and the desire to do so . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 335
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 10:05:42 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you, I did not know that.

That means that the only way would be to get someone to edit the campaign file, if they had the ability, the means, and the desire to do so . . .

If you rename a variant AI file to the « default » file (the file the Editor loads is the file without any additional number)(just keep a copy of the original one somewhere else), you can check the scripts the AI would follow with this variant, and edit.

Using the same method of renaming a particular variant to the « default » file, and removing all other variants, you can ensure a particular file will be used.

Editing the AI files is really much harder than editing the rest of the scenario. I’m not sure anyone but AndyMac knows precisely what each field really means. Adding some bases to the conquest list, or removing them, is simple enough, but then you may have to tinker with the units involved, the other variables, the triggers for the scripts, etc.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 336
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/10/2021 10:57:05 PM   
Alfred

Amongst the devs, Andy Mac is held in awa as far as writing a good script. However there is another dev, BigJ62, who most definitely knows the fields because he wrote the actual AI code and IIRC, the editor.

There is no doubt. Any change to the objective bases will require readdressing completely the script. Same with changing any unit slots.

It still remains the case that almost 12 years after release, there have still been no independent third party AI scripts publicly released.

Alfred

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 337
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 6:29:10 PM   
Mock726

Hi,

Great spreadsheet, very informative. But I have a question, I am looking at the spreadsheet Rev E that I found here. There are items that I don't seem to be able to do in the version of WitP-AE that I have. I am using version 1 DOT 0 DOT 0 DOT 1079 that I got direct from the Matrix website. Is there a later version that I need to have or am I just missing out how to do some stuff?

Thanks

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 338
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 6:59:36 PM   
Kull

That's the 2009 basic version. On top of that you'll need: [PC] Update v1.01.26a

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 339
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 7:34:25 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

quote:

First, in column G you can see in the heading "Cargo: Supply & Fuel" and all I have done is use the common color of creme to highlight the Unit Model/Type data, such as Euro L Cargo, etc. You can quickly see that both of the Euro L Cargo ships in Tjilatjap, Java need a port of size 2 minimum to dock for loading and unloading.

Second, in column K, denoted by the creme color, where "n" is the size port+ the ship can be docked. This helps me quickly scan the spreadsheet page and determine which ships are best suited for certain jobs during my setup phase.

Yes, very helpful! Feel free to post a link, should you so desire. I can then edit the first post and point to it.

Kull, I would need to go back and re-enter the info, etc. into your raw spreadsheet file and save it as an alternate version. No big deal as right now I am at home convalescing from a left shoulder biceps tendon tear surgery.

Shouldn't take that long. The other reason is I have moved units around to fit AndyMac's modified Scenario 1, so things would not match up and my own planned moves are in there.
If I have the spreadsheet file, what is the best way to make it available on the forum, upload or a link to an external site?

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 340
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 8:07:08 PM   
Kull

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kull, I would need to go back and re-enter the info, etc. into your raw spreadsheet file and save it as an alternate version. No big deal as right now I am at home convalescing from a left shoulder biceps tendon tear surgery.

Shouldn't take that long. The other reason is I have moved units around to fit AndyMac's modified Scenario 1, so things would not match up and my own planned moves are in there.
If I have the spreadsheet file, what is the best way to make it available on the forum, upload or a link to an external site?

Yikes, good luck with the rehab - that's no fun! As for the file, no hurry. When you can, zip it and upload to matrix - should be small enough. And having the new Andy bases in there is another bonus. I'm sure folks will appreciate that.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 341
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 9:56:00 PM   
RangerJoe

Ouch. I have had my left wrist broken while at the same time a right upper chest muscle tear. I could not lift much with my left hand and I could not reach far nor carry much with my right arm. But at least I did not lose any more body parts . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 342
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 10:50:09 PM   
Moltrey

Thanks for the well-wishes gents.
Kull:
I need someone's help with testing an anomaly I just encountered regarding AndyMac's Scenario 1
. While working on the stuff we are currently referring to... I came across some ship entries in Pearl that I had not entered the tonnage "n" numbers for yet. Fired up the game to check actual ship tonnages.
The issue is that for whatever reason, I cannot find the C2 Lassen AE Mauna Loa... anywhere. In Andy's scenarios (and I tried a few alternatives) she is just flat-out missing. Not in PH. Not under repair. Not in the coming reinforcements or active ships list. Not in any existing TF or sunk ships list.

What I would like you to do if you can, is fire up a Stock Scenario 1 in AE and see if the Mauna Loa is present at Pearl like I believe she should be to verify that Andy needs to make a correction in the scenarios.
Thanks!
And I didn't anticipate working in all the new bases, but I can put it on the list Kull!
Appreciate the help.

Oh, and I suppose it would be helpful if you could fire up an AndyMac scenario 1 game to verify the Mauna Loa is missing in your game too.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 3/11/2021 10:55:22 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 343
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 11:20:04 PM   
Kull

AE Mauna Loa is definitely in Pearl for the stock scenarios (at least the official Patch 07 updates), and even his Scen102 Ironman

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 344
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 11:23:42 PM   
Moltrey

Alright. Thanks for checking. I will go over to his thread and ask that he check the Scenario 1 to see whether it is there and somehow my files got corrupted (although I don't know how) or if the ship is indeed missing from PH.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 345
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/11/2021 11:32:55 PM   
Kull

I checked his Scen1 v5 (the latest) and yes, it is missing from Pearl......because the arrival date is now 1943:

Edit: Definitely some confusion. There was a cargo ship named Mauna Loa, and that was sunk at Darwin - which is the "sunk date" on the attached record. The AE Mauna Loa is a different ship and it arrived in the Pacific in January 1944.

In short, there shouldn't be ANY ship named Mauna Loa at Pearl Harbor on 12/7!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kull -- 3/11/2021 11:57:03 PM >

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 346
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/12/2021 12:03:44 AM   
Moltrey

Wow... so the standard scenario has the glitch, not Andy. Huh.

Well, that is a development I wouldn't have anticipated.
Could you go to the AndyMac thread and post this stuff for him to see so he doesn't do a wild goose chase on my post?
Thanks and good catch Kull!

P.S. I'd would like to double check on this... but I am almost certain that in my AndyMac v5 game as Allies, there is NO Mauna Loa, period. Not in 1944 or elsewhere on the list of AEs for the campaign. So, I think he still needs an adjustment, just later than I thought initially.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 3/12/2021 12:06:27 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 347
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/12/2021 12:07:15 AM   
RangerJoe

Just edit your post.

Maybe this is the result of the confusion where two different ships have the same name. That could be fun in the editor if a person makes a scenario with all of a certain class of ship with the same name. I mean, could you image the fun?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 348
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/12/2021 12:23:29 AM   
Moltrey

Good suggestion, will do it now. I did go into my current v5 AndyMac Allied game. The Mauna Loa isn't there in any list, or even a 1944 addition, neither AE or AK categories.
Edit for some ship info:

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 3/12/2021 12:39:27 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 349
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/12/2021 2:13:47 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Just edit your post.

Maybe this is the result of the confusion where two different ships have the same name. That could be fun in the editor if a person makes a scenario with all of a certain class of ship with the same name. I mean, could you image the fun?

There are two CLs named Birmingham - one British and one US ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 350
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/12/2021 3:15:48 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Just edit your post.

There are two CLs named Birmingham - one British and one US ...

But think if the Japanese carriers were all renamed to "Yo'Mama!"

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 351
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/22/2021 4:08:38 PM   
Kull

Moltrey made a small improvement to the Allies spreadsheet which provides minimum port docking sizes for individual ships and also identifies those cargo ships which have a fuel carrying component, as described in this post:

quote:

Kull:
I wanted to show you a small Mod I put together on your exemplary Setup spreadsheet.

It adds a couple pieces of logistical info explained below from another thread.

I modified Kull's AE Allied Setup Spreadsheet last fall by adding my own cargo ship minimum port size in column K and a designation for what I call "Dual Cargo" ships (both supply and fuel capacity) in column G.
Here is a pic of the Tjilatjap, Java portion of it:

His revised spreadsheet is available for download in the link below:

quote:

Kull:
I finished the stock Allied Scenario 1 modifications to your file.
Note I have not done any changes to your other tabs, so there are no descriptors of the additions, etc., I left that up to you.
Still working on the AndyMac Scenario 1 changes, including the new bases. Might take a while.
Cheers!

Moltrey Mod

Not sure this link is setup correctly, let me know.

I tested the link and it works fine. A nice update, highly recommended.

< Message edited by Kull -- 3/23/2021 1:39:22 PM >

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 352
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/26/2021 4:00:56 AM   
Mock726

Been working my way through the Allied setup spreadsheet. Very, very helpful.

I am curious why aircraft performing training only all have their range set at 0. What effect does that have versus leaving it at normal or extended range. Do planes on training get shot down if their radius takes them over enemy bases? Burn less fuel, cause less crew fatigue?

And on the issue of training the spreadsheet says to set some cruiser float planes to 100% training when their ship is already in the battle zone, British and Dutch cruiser around Singapore and Borneo for example. Does a day or two of training yield any improvement? Not to mention the need to remember to change them into ASW or Naval Search later.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 353
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/26/2021 4:22:10 AM   
Alfred

It is one of the great and most persistent AE urban myths. There is no real useful benefit from training at range 0.

Alfred

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 354
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/26/2021 5:59:11 PM   
Moltrey

Alfred:
I thought that it would somewhat reduce the chance of a training flight getting the dreaded "Training flight XXX is caught up in battle at YYZ" combat result if they didn't stray from their base.
Obviously the chance is calculated differently then.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 355
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/27/2021 4:32:45 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mock726

Been working my way through the Allied setup spreadsheet. Very, very helpful.

I am curious why aircraft performing training only all have their range set at 0. What effect does that have versus leaving it at normal or extended range. Do planes on training get shot down if their radius takes them over enemy bases? Burn less fuel, cause less crew fatigue?

And on the issue of training the spreadsheet says to set some cruiser float planes to 100% training when their ship is already in the battle zone, British and Dutch cruiser around Singapore and Borneo for example. Does a day or two of training yield any improvement? Not to mention the need to remember to change them into ASW or Naval Search later.

I will say that in umpteen zillion years of game play, I've never lost a single plane or pilot when training range is set to zero (which is not remotely realistic, of course, but there it is). There may be other factors at work, and perhaps increased range offers other benefits, but none that I'm aware of.

As for the war zone cruiser pilots set to train, it's probably a mix of factors - poor individual search skills, closeness to enemy bases (with the risk of being shot down by CAP), overlapping coverage from other Naval/ASW search, or some combination of the above.

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 356
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/27/2021 4:19:33 PM   
RangerJoe

I have lost planes while the unit is in training only when they get caught up in a fight.

When I set the training range to "0" then there is very little fatigue.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 357
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/28/2021 10:02:43 AM   
Alfred

The training mishap rate is set very low and almost nothing which a player does will noticeably result in increased number of mishaps.

Originally the mishap rate was set much higher and player settings could complement the malus associated with training. This however proved to be very unpopular with the beta testers and the decision was made to apply a ridiculously low rate.

The concern about fatigue is simply not warranted. A combination of not exceeding the normal range of the aircraft model and filling the pilot roster to 133% would result in regular pilot rotation. Remember that training is not limited only to pilots with an aircraft. Pilot fatigue is only really relevant on combat missions.

I too have zillions of AE hours with training set to a range not exceeding the aircraft's normal range and I can't recall the last training mishap. It really doesn't matter if a pilot in training has a fatigue level of 20 or 30.

Alfred

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 358
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/28/2021 12:36:08 PM   
RangerJoe

Trainees are supposed to be tired. If they are not tired, then they are not training hard enough.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 359
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 4/19/2021 2:07:37 AM   
tomeck48

Per your instructions I am trying to set up an AWS TF in Dutch Harbor. YP72 is supposed to go to 168,51, then to 169,47 and return to DH. How and where do I turn on the hex coordinates?

2 Week rookie.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI