Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Answered] Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Answered] Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Answered] Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude... - 4/20/2021 12:55:32 AM   
AlexinCT

Have a scenario where a vampire (ss-n-26 I believe) flying over terrain where terrain altitude is over 700 ft but the weapon is at 198 ft and can't be engaged by air defenses.

See attachment for screenshot and saved game...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WSBot -- 4/22/2021 11:29:02 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem - 4/20/2021 4:15:39 PM   
guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexinCT

Have a scenario where a vampire (ss-n-26 I believe) flying over terrain where terrain altitude is over 700 ft but the weapon is at 198 ft and can't be engaged by air defenses.

Bear in mind that is the detected altitude, not the actual one. The problem is that the aerostat's search radar is only getting an approximate measure of its location. More significantly no air defence weapons systems have yet detected the vampire with their fire-control radars (FCRs) which would be needed to attack it.

It's normal that a search radar will tell you roughly where an enemy is, but you still need a more precise FCR (or other sensor) to actually target it.

If you load that save in the editor and change sides, you'll see it's happily flying along above the ground. So it's WAD.

(in reply to AlexinCT)
Post #: 2
RE: Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem - 4/20/2021 5:32:43 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexinCT

Bear in mind that is the detected altitude, not the actual one. The problem is that the aerostat's search radar is only getting an approximate measure of its location. More significantly no air defence weapons systems have yet detected the vampire with their fire-control radars (FCRs) which would be needed to attack it.

It's normal that a search radar will tell you roughly where an enemy is, but you still need a more precise FCR (or other sensor) to actually target it.

If you load that save in the editor and change sides, you'll see it's happily flying along above the ground. So it's WAD.

A nice to have would be some sort of gating or filtering of any detection values that don't make sense (underground, water, etc.). Many systems have this in real life. I've seen it in the sonar world.

Mike

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 3
RE: Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem - 4/20/2021 5:45:04 PM   
Schr75

Hi AlexinCT

Your problem is two fold.
First you are trying to fire at an old contact, 18sec at scen start.
You need an accurate target fix to be able to fire, that´s why you get the altitude message.

Second.
You have a small mountain between the Patriot battery and the target, so the battery will never detect the target because of LOS limitations.
If you move the battery to the top of the mountain roughly 3nm west of the battery, it will detect and engage the target.

You can actually see this from the weapons allocation menu.
When you get the "No directors able to etc. (see attached pic), the firing unit is telling you that no radar directors can see the target, so it need external targeting data if it´s CEC capable, or it have to wait until it detects the target by itself.

Hope this helped.

Søren

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schr75 -- 4/20/2021 6:00:41 PM >

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Answered] Vampire can't be engaged because of altitude problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI