Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant worlds 2 is on Steam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Distant worlds 2 is on Steam Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 11:26:29 AM   
Tsar99

Just noticed it, so I got to share.
Unfortunately I cannot post links, so search it on Steam and someone else can post the link...
Post #: 1
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 11:29:51 AM   
LordMM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531540/Distant_Worlds_2/

(in reply to Tsar99)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 11:29:54 AM   
Handbanana

Can Confirm!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531540/Distant_Worlds_2/

(in reply to Tsar99)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 12:03:17 PM   
Miletkir

I'm overwhelmed. I like that they really kept all the major aspects that made DW:U strong.

Makes me look forward to this evening even more.

(in reply to Handbanana)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 5:45:36 PM   
Larsenex

Can we still purchase directly from matrix or is purchase thru steam advised?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 6:09:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Since you asked, we'd actually prefer if you purchase through us - you'll still get a free Steam key for any purchase on the Matrix or Slitherine store, but more of the game price will go directly to us (and Elliot) rather than to a third party.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 6:13:20 PM   
Larsenex

Erik that is exactly why I asked. One last question. I will be purchasing thru Matrix but will distribution be handled by both or can i get the game still via my games section in Matrix or is down load thru Steam required?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 6:15:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larsenex
Erik that is exactly why I asked. One last question. I will be purchasing thru Matrix but will distribution be handled by both or can i get the game still via my games section in Matrix or is down load thru Steam required?

By both - it's totally up to you. You'll have a fully registered copy here so you can re-download from us and you'll also have a Steam key so you can add it to your Steam library and download it there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 6:46:57 PM   
Bleek

I appreciate how Matrix gives you a Steam key after purchase.

I'll buy via Matrix as it's good for you. Then get my Steam key as it's ideal for me.

Post #: 9
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 6:54:53 PM   
Aikenar

Then there is nothing to think about, buying from Matrix it is.

Post #: 10
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/26/2021 7:35:09 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Buy from matrix but make steam pay for the download.

(in reply to Aikenar)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 1:26:58 AM   
balto

As long as it is not over $500, I will insta-buy. If it goes for more than $500, I need to some full playthroughs on Youtube prior to purchase.

PS - I know, there are no games that expensive. But this (as well as all of Vic's games) should be $500+ for what you get.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 1:31:26 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Probably will be in the $40~60 range like all new games nowadays.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 3:07:00 AM   
satoru

The only downside to buying off Matrix is that steam reviews from cd keys dont count to their totals which is a bummer

In any case people should at least wishlist the game on Steam in order for the "Steam Algorithm" to notice it and do whatever weird magic the Algorithm does

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 4:44:57 PM   
Kingah

Do I still get a disk when I buy through Matrix? Always loved having a physical copy of the game and each expansion with my name printed on them

(in reply to satoru)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 8:19:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: satoru
The only downside to buying off Matrix is that steam reviews from cd keys dont count to their totals which is a bummer

In any case people should at least wishlist the game on Steam in order for the "Steam Algorithm" to notice it and do whatever weird magic the Algorithm does

Yes, that's the plus side of ordering on Steam, at least if you give us a good review.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to satoru)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 1/27/2021 8:19:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingah
Do I still get a disk when I buy through Matrix? Always loved having a physical copy of the game and each expansion with my name printed on them

Yes, there will be an option for a physical copy.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 4/20/2021 8:04:59 PM   
burbigo

One of my most anticipated games of the last decade!

Post #: 18
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 4/21/2021 6:18:14 PM   
Galaxy227

For a split second I saw this thread as the most recent on the forum and thought to myself Distant Worlds 2 finally launched. Unfortunately, common sense very quickly washed over me—grounding me back down to the painful reality of waiting for DW2. Even so, this sudden, overwhelming rush of euphoria I experienced affords me great strength in these dark times. My dopamine is now replenished enough to hopefully weather the months ahead without my beloved sequel.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 4/21/2021 6:31:43 PM >

(in reply to burbigo)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 4/21/2021 9:01:17 PM   
Webbco

I hope there will be some more news shortly. One day of info a few months ago, then total silence.

< Message edited by Webbco -- 4/21/2021 9:02:16 PM >

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 4/26/2021 4:52:46 AM   
OnePercent

^^ because they are beta testing it, it's quiet because there's nothing new really to say, just gotta squash all the bugs and polish up a stable 1.0 foundation for the next DECADE of content releases lol (hopefully)

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 4/28/2021 6:08:29 PM   
Dd_01

Oh well. I hope beta-test runs smoothly, there's not so much bugs and stuff to re-do and everything is okay in general.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/2/2021 4:15:29 AM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: satoru

The other downside is that the cost of the product is more expensive than it would have been if you had obtained it from Steam because of localised prices and currency exchange issues. I prefer buying stuff from Steam because I don't get stung with a foreign currency fee.

(in reply to satoru)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/27/2021 3:11:57 PM   
Gus_Durham

The game seems to look interesting but .... at first I thought that this is another DLС for Stellaris, why would it be?

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/27/2021 6:37:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's certainly not that. Distant Worlds existed before Stellaris, so any similarity you see is not really something we were looking to achieve. With that said, if you like Stellaris and like what you see here, please give it a try when it's released, you may enjoy it!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gus_Durham)
Post #: 25
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/28/2021 12:39:06 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gus_Durham

The game seems to look interesting but .... at first I thought that this is another DLС for Stellaris, why would it be?

To be honest I don't even see how you could compare these two games... almost the only thing they have in common is the theme and the fact they are strategy games. They pretty much differ on every point in terms of focus, features and scope.

I have played both Stellaris and Distant Worlds allot and these game are not even remotely alike in terms of play experience or what you get out of playing either of them. Distant Worlds 2 seem to be very similar to Distant Worlds Universe in scope and overall mechanics so not very similar to Stellaris at all.

Stellaris is more of a strategic storyteller game with an abstract economic layer focusing in thematic impressions and a dynamic quite customised world. Distant Worlds is more about running an empire and dealing with economic and logistical problems, so more of a simulation than what Stellaris is.

To be honest I always figured Distant World to be a much better game but I still played Stellaris more hours than Distant Worlds, the reason is that Stellaris need less energy to play so get more game time as often you want just easy entertainment not deep thoughtful mental exercise... ;)

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 5/28/2021 12:42:52 AM >

(in reply to Gus_Durham)
Post #: 26
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/28/2021 2:05:30 AM   
Hanekem

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gus_Durham

To be honest I don't even see how you could compare these two games... almost the only thing they have in common is the theme and the fact they are strategy games. They pretty much differ on every point in terms of focus, features and scope.

I have played both Stellaris and Distant Worlds allot and these game are not even remotely alike in terms of play experience or what you get out of playing either of them. Distant Worlds 2 seem to be very similar to Distant Worlds Universe in scope and overall mechanics so not very similar to Stellaris at all.

Stellaris is more of a strategic storyteller game with an abstract economic layer focusing in thematic impressions and a dynamic quite customised world. Distant Worlds is more about running an empire and dealing with economic and logistical problems, so more of a simulation than what Stellaris is.

To be honest I always figured Distant World to be a much better game but I still played Stellaris more hours than Distant Worlds, the reason is that Stellaris need less energy to play so get more game time as often you want just easy entertainment not deep thoughtful mental exercise... ;)

I also agree, I mean stellaris can be fun, but ultimately the pop system is just too micro heavy an the fixes PDX has done... no, I think a lot issues with that game are related to core design issues, so won't be very fixable
I think if we could have some quest like events in DW2I'd probably be very happy, but it is an "and also" and not a "must have"

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 27
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/28/2021 9:23:43 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanekem
I also agree, I mean stellaris can be fun, but ultimately the pop system is just too micro heavy an the fixes PDX has done... no, I think a lot issues with that game are related to core design issues, so won't be very fixable
I think if we could have some quest like events in DW2I'd probably be very happy, but it is an "and also" and not a "must have"

Yes... the POP system is the biggest hurdle (and performance showstopper) in Stellaris. I find that the POP system is "interesting" to manage during the early game, but after this it just become a chore. The problem is that is scales poorly. In the early game managing POP have a big impact on your economy and there are not too many of them to manage. Late in the game each POP have a negligible impact and you spend way more time managing them while they mean very little. This is just not good game design in my opinion. I rarely play Stellaris to the finish for a good reason.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 28
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/28/2021 1:52:11 PM   
Hanekem

IT is at the core of the issues of Stellaris, yes. I mean it is the whole reason the first version of the game had the AI sectors, so that the pop management could be limited. But given how much 4x players like to micro, and how oft we don't trust AI to do a half competent job ad administering a planet (let alone a sector) that has all the signs of a bad idea written over it (the easiest way to handle it was to have jobs provide n resources, with Y pop, there s X pop that is less than Y, thus resources are proportional, but for some reason the want to keep this awful pop implementation, instead of dunno, going for a Vic2 sorta thing, but it is sorta inline with the development issues of the game, the different FTL techs aren't working or there is a meta? Remove two, AI isn't working, remove the AI sectors, make it optional, but don't address the underlying issue. POP is grinding the game to a halt? Limit pop growth in a way that makes non conquerors unviable)

Anywa, to leave pdx bashing asides,I do hope DW 2 can take in some of the intersting things about stellaris, maybe use a species creator or, at least, a faction creator with a bit more depth than we have, with values and whatnot. and the archeology mechanics could be very much a welcome addition, given how some of the DW scouting was about finding the ruins of the not so distant past. if the silvermist is a part of the new game space monsters, having it as part of a derelict research site quest line or some such could be rather cool

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 29
RE: Distant worlds 2 is on Steam - 5/29/2021 2:12:00 AM   
StormingKiwi

The problem Stellaris has is that the content designers design the game to be played for the early game and the early game only. The optimal game experience occurs in the early game, by the mid-game you're supposed to be losing interest and not playing to the games conclusion.

I do think Stellaris does some things right, particularly in terms of empire customisation, and would hope at a minimum that Distant Worlds 2 has similar levels of customisation. It can keep with the lore-friendly empires, but I do expect after playing Stardrive, Gal Civ and Stellaris to be able to customise my faction and appearance to suit my play style.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Distant worlds 2 is on Steam Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI