Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rail Capacity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Rail Capacity Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 8:43:01 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Now some comes from Brody - the reason is that is set up as an intermediate depot to hold freight that can't complete its journey (those SMP penalties) - see Carlkay's AAR for a first rate exposition of this point. A fair chunk comes direct from Berlin.

Where do the trains/rail capacity come from to move that. Well my best guess is Berlin=Berlin, Brody - a mix of Lvov and places like Katowice.

Am I getting enough to supply my forces, not really but then PG1 is a long way from Kirovgrad.

In a 2 day period, 13 450t trains delivered 5319t to kiev, Kiev was operating at 8% of its capacity so what is not enough now can be vastly increased. Historically 70 trains a day was delivered, so Kiev in game is getting 10% or so of historical freight delivered to the East, its freight max capacity is 133 train deliveries, so if maxed out it can supply each day 28 Div to 300 t.

and how is that modelled in the actual game? Did the historical German rail net follow mine?

In-game I could push more trains into the Ukraine but that would be at the cost of trains going to Minsk/Smolensk/Pskov. Did the historical German logistical planners make the same set of priorities that I am following?

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 31
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 9:22:01 AM   
Hanny

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now some comes from Brody - the reason is that is set up as an intermediate depot to hold freight that can't complete its journey (those SMP penalties) - see Carlkay's AAR for a first rate exposition of this point. A fair chunk comes direct from Berlin.

Where do the trains/rail capacity come from to move that. Well my best guess is Berlin=Berlin, Brody - a mix of Lvov and places like Katowice.

Am I getting enough to supply my forces, not really but then PG1 is a long way from Kirovgrad.

In a 2 day period, 13 450t trains delivered 5319t to kiev, Kiev was operating at 8% of its capacity so what is not enough now can be vastly increased. Historically 70 trains a day was delivered, so Kiev in game is getting 10% or so of historical freight delivered to the East, its freight max capacity is 133 train deliveries, so if maxed out it can supply each day 28 Div to 300 t.

and how is that modelled in the actual game? Did the historical German rail net follow mine?

In-game I could push more trains into the Ukraine but that would be at the cost of trains going to Minsk/Smolensk/Pskov. Did the historical German logistical planners make the same set of priorities that I am following?

I just gave you your game turn in game logistic ability to supply from kiev at 8% and 100% of Kiev at 60000t.

In dont see any way to build more rail lines in game, so dont understand your question about historical rail net.

Your not at the same place and time as where the Germans, due to you playing a game as opposed to German planners bounded by different logistical constraints you are not bound by. Each AG was planned to have 75 train loads of supplies delivered a day in 41.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 32
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 12:10:52 PM   
carlkay58

Hanny:

The rail net as Loki referred to is the repaired and functioning rail net. Yes it is bound by the historical rail lines as noted on the map but Loki may not have repaired/converted the same rails as the Axis did historically.

Historically the Axis captured the two major cities in the Dnepr River bend before Kiev fell. Those railyards are completely repaired by the time Kiev fell so they would be able to use their railyards to help the capacity in Kiev in the game. Loki's game does not include those railyards as of yet.

The Germans did plan to have 75 train loads of supplies delivered each day in 41. However they fell extremely short of that goal. AGC reports that they were only receiving 12 to 15 trains per day in September before the rains hit. So less than 20% of what was calculated as needed. As far as I know, the only AG that came close to receiving what it needed was AGN and that was helped immensely by both the Baltic ports and rail system that did not require conversion but just repair. Also all rolling stock in the Baltic States that were captured were able to be used on the rail system while the other AGs encountered the fact that Soviet rolling stock was broad gauge and could not be used once the tracks were converted to European gauge without major revisions.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 33
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 4:53:33 PM   
MaB1708

Loki, carlkay and the lot...thank you so much again for your relentless efforts to explain. Great example above, very helpfull!

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 34
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 6:45:03 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Hanny:

The rail net as Loki referred to is the repaired and functioning rail net. Yes it is bound by the historical rail lines as noted on the map but Loki may not have repaired/converted the same rails as the Axis did historically.

Kiev is in reciept of rail freight so he has a functioning rail line, i dont see how he could be asking a question thats impossible to answer, as you suggest he did.

quote:

Historically the Axis captured the two major cities in the Dnepr River bend before Kiev fell. Those railyards are completely repaired by the time Kiev fell so they would be able to use their railyards to help the capacity in Kiev in the game. Loki's game does not include those railyards as of yet.

How does capacity in those cities increase capacity at kiev?, which game rule are you thinking applies here. In any event he has a double line in working order, his 4 sending locations all arrive in a 48 period over the 7 day logistical period, so there is massive unused line capacity, he achieved 5k, line capacity for double line is maxed out in game at 30000t, so you would need 2 double lines to move 60k in a week to Kiev is that what you mean? having more depots pushing supplies to Kiev, so Kiev can forward on more ina 7 day period and still try and create stocks to fill its own capacity. I think thats what you mean, is that right?.

If so it helps in game, as a single 30000t a double line max capacity is 30000/7/450 so 10 trains in a week, the line is maxed out at 10 trains a week, does that seem low to you?, it did to the Germans, who ran 94 trains a day in late 42, 136 trains a day from Kiev in 43.

German pre invasion capacity.
April 1940 the Reichsbahn started the Otto Program to upgrade the tracks using 30,000 workers and 300,000 tonnes of steel from the Heer allocation. This produced eight trunk lines from north to south: VII Berlin–Danzig–Lublin–Rowne–Kiev: 24 train pairs a day. What we are interested in is Kiev planned 48 trains a day capacity, the SU was running 60 train pairs a day on the same line up to start of war. So winter of 42, was when 24 pairs was achieved.

quote:

The Germans did plan to have 75 train loads of supplies delivered each day in 41. However they fell extremely short of that goal. AGC reports that they were only receiving 12 to 15 trains per day in September before the rains hit. So less than 20% of what was calculated as needed.

AGC in July 14 trains, August 24, Sept drops back to July numbers, Ill do July from Halders diary http://militera.lib.ru/db/0/pdf/halder_eng6.pdf

Halder diary, page 203 6th July AGC requires 21 trains a day. Page 242 Wagner guarantees 14 @6300 tons. Page 246 what that translates into combat loads."To meet all supply requirements we have available: As of 18 July, 14 trains; 22 trains are necessary to catch up with the three Armies into the areas newly occupied".

Ie between 6th and 18th July 14*12=168 promised, 146 delivered.

So 6th AGC requires 21*12 days.
QM promises 14 a day, 14*12=168
QM delivers 146/12= 12 a day, =146.

32,000/24 =1333
AGC 21*12 =252*1333=335916 tons.
QM promises 168*1333=223944 tons
QM delivers=146*1333= 194618 tons.

AGC requires 335916
QM delivers 194618

58% of requirement met.

August, AGC gets double July delverd, in Sept for typhon, supply branch of the OKH warned Brauchitsch, Halder and Bock 'if the intensity of fighting and the operational rythm was to be similar to that of the summer campaign, the supply system would be able to cover a bit over 50% of AGC's needs for a space of time of two weeks. More than that, and the system would collapse and the it would be able to deliver just between 10-20% of the total load of supplies needed'.

quote:

As far as I know, the only AG that came close to receiving what it needed was AGN and that was helped immensely by both the Baltic ports and rail system that did not require conversion but just repair. Also all rolling stock in the Baltic States that were captured were able to be used on the rail system while the other AGs encountered the fact that Soviet rolling stock was broad gauge and could not be used once the tracks were converted to European gauge without major revisions.

Yes that all helped a lot, what did not help was the Pzr corps getting to Divina 100 miles ahead of its supporting Inf, and running out of POL, it sent back its entire supply lift along with the QMs, and it was ambushed mostly lost, the result was an Inf Army had their trucks taken away to replace them, making it less mobile.

Other things also had an influence, for the first 90 days.
AGN replacement manpower 55000
AGC replacement manpower 161000

At 14 men to a ton, AGN used 3900 tons of rail freight to replace 78% of its losses, AGC 11500 to replace 82%, AGN used 9 trains, AGC used 25. 16 more trains of x w z for AGC from the choice of using AGC for the next major operation from replacements alone.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 4/23/2021 7:16:54 PM >

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 35
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 9:36:03 PM   
loki100

it would really help if you understood how the game works. You can chuck statistics around as much as you like but it is how those concepts are captured in the game engine that matter.

so just to take

quote:

quote:

Hanny:

Kiev is in reciept of rail freight so he has a functioning rail line, i dont see how he could be asking a question thats impossible to answer, as you suggest he did.

what creates the capacity to actually move freight? Railyards of size 2 or more - both those cities match that criteria
and could have easily sent that capacity back to at least Brodny where I have freight sotred

He doesn't suggest it is 'impossible to answer' Carlkay provided you with useful (in-game) context.

Finally my relative depot priorities (ie Kiev vs Kirovgrad) have a huge influence on the relative allocation after my rail lines split

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 36
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/23/2021 9:59:18 PM   
carlkay58

Hanny - my numbers for the trains came from Stahel's Kiev 1941 where he used the numbers from AGC staff as to what was received. You are referencing the OKH's version. That could be some of the discrepancy. But the point I was trying to make is that, in game terms, Loki's rail status is nothing like the historical Axis setup which can make a HUGE difference in the game in the amount of freight shipped to a depot.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 37
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 7:44:57 AM   
Hanny

quote:

it would really help if you understood how the game works. You can chuck statistics around as much as you like but it is how those concepts are captured in the game engine that matter.

What would help more is if the game used a logistic model closer to historical reality, hence my use of math to show how far it differs. I understand how it works in game just fine.

quote:

so just to take

what creates the capacity to actually move freight? Railyards of size 2 or more - both those cities match that criteria
and could have easily sent that capacity back to at least Brodny where I have freight sotred

What creates the freight in the first place?, Berlin and the Ruhr is the origin of 85% of all daily freight, yet that is not to be seen in game. Ability to move freight is dependent on a loco to move the freight cars, where in game can i see where my locos are at any point in time?. note a loco in reality does not require a railroad of size 2 or more to move freight.
quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100He doesn't suggest it is 'impossible to answer' Carlkay provided you with useful (in-game) context.

Your confused , you asked an impossible to answer question, not Carlkay.

quote:

Finally my relative depot priorities (ie Kiev vs Kirovgrad) have a huge influence on the relative allocation after my rail lines split

As i already pointed out its historically immaterial, all you need is a single double line to achieve vastly more than exist in game, with more nodes, but is material in game.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 4/24/2021 8:24:00 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 38
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 8:06:30 AM   
Hanny

quote:

Hanny - my numbers for the trains came from Stahel's Kiev 1941 where he used the numbers from AGC staff as to what was received. You are referencing the OKH's version. That could be some of the discrepancy. But the point I was trying to make is that, in game terms, Loki's rail status is nothing like the historical Axis setup which can make a HUGE difference in the game in the amount of freight shipped to a depot.

Yes page 119 i recognised your use of Stahel, i was just adding further historical context. I understood your point and showed you how far the game differs from historical rail supply.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 39
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 9:42:30 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

What would help more is if the game used a logistic model closer to historical reality, hence my use of math to show how far it differs. I understand how it works in game just fine.

you really don't understand how it works in game

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 40
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 4:27:00 PM   
Hanny

quote:

Incorrect, every time you write that, which is often.

quote:

you do plan logistics, you set depot priorities/HQ priorities, you make decisions about rail usage for non-logistic reasons.

Except of course the Heer had in reality no such control in 41, there authority started after freight arrived at a rail head and could not influence freight deliveries, which was determined by a different organisation the Heer had no control over, so in game the ability to influence freight to rail heads did not exist, the Heer authority was where the forward depots from the rail head where to be placed, and had only the Grosstruppen to move the freight to depots. This direct line efficiency did not exist in German logistics in 41.
quote:

The game doesn't have you ordering the movement of every wheel nut and shell casing. That follows the set routines around the areas where you have agency.

Actually the game is using a 21st century JIT logistics model not a ww2 one.
quote:

F2 tells you how much unused rail capacity (ie trains) is in a given railyard.

And if you add it all up and work out how many trains were used to move freight you can see exactly how inaccurate the game is as to total number of trains, a game based on trains as the basic building block for logistics not getting close to the number of trains is kinda important.

quote:

I think the fundamental problem is you seem to think you have control over part of the game that is not under your control (by design). But you have a lot of tools to influence the logistics system

Odd, thats exactly what the Heer thought was wrong with the German logistic system, that the Reich Ministry of Transport was moving the freight where it wanted to, so as to able to return with the resources Germany needed, not where the Heer needed it to be to fight with. QMG Marckes, who runs the GTR when he takes over the long range transport role in Russia with his Grosstransportraum cannot even get the Transportation Department included in co-coordinating the long range supply movements.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 4/24/2021 5:05:52 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 41
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 5:42:17 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

quote:

You obviously didn't understand the meaning of final warning....

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 42
RE: Rail Capacity - 4/24/2021 7:31:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

quote:

Ok, turning disagreements into personal attacks is against the forum rules. Unfortunately you have not listened to the previous warnings on this. It's fine to disagree, opine on the details and share different points of view. You clearly have a great deal of historical knowledge and your input could be extremely helpful to this community. However, the personal fights you keep picking with people who are trying to help explain the game to you are not acceptable.

Please learn to disagree without making it personal. You have a two week cooling down ban from the forum to think it over. You're welcome here as long as you can disagree with civility.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/24/2021 7:32:02 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Rail Capacity Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI