Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/3/2021 9:31:46 PM   
alkafluence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Talon_XBMCX

I could go on with some other things, but what it really boils down to is the documentation needs to be laid out better. I started with the Tutorial, but it didn’t give me enough. It left some important things out and made me frustrated. After I read the Quick Start Guide, most of my confusion and frustration were gone so playing through the Tutorial a second time made much more sense. I don’t expect the tutorial to give me everything, but without the Quick Guide explaining the sequence of play, supply, GUI interface, etc., I wasn’t grasping the tutorial. I would combine those into a single Player Guide or preface the tutorial with “READ THE QUICK START FIRST!” in big, bolded, underlined print!

Combined with the "Desert War Tutorial pdf" that goes along with the 'Quick Start Guide' - those were the 2 biggest things that made discovering how to play this game possible.

Sadly, because I haven't posted on MatrixGames site (only the Slitherine site), I can't post links to it, directly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by alkafluence -- 1/3/2021 9:33:07 PM >

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 211
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/3/2021 9:58:09 PM   
Zovs

You just posted a jpeg, could you instead post the text of your pdf so one could copy and paste?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to alkafluence)
Post #: 212
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2021 2:54:42 AM   
bcgames

The Quick Start Guide comes with the game. Find it in Program Files (x86)/Matrix Games/Desert War 1941-42/Manuals.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 213
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2021 7:13:12 AM   
Zovs

+1 thanks

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 214
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/23/2021 12:12:54 PM   
Metalist

I have never seen this game before, and I like the idea of WEGO system in a WW2 game, never seen this before. Yet I can't buy the game as it is not on Steam. I need Steam for regional pricing and Proton play as I use Linux. I see a Stalingrad game also being developed, which is nice as the theatre is more preferable. I hope it comes to Steam.

And game is very pleasant to eye, best among the hex-based war games I have seen.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 215
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/23/2021 6:32:06 PM   
warzkins

I totally agree with Metalist, hope for the game gonna relase on some platform, not nessesary steam.

(in reply to Metalist)
Post #: 216
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/23/2021 7:46:44 PM   
Fred98

I watched a video of the game in action - and decided against it.

(in reply to warzkins)
Post #: 217
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/30/2021 11:13:04 PM   
BeirutDude

Two many Desert war games out there and not my favorite WWII subject. Would likely buy other battles theaters.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 218
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/31/2021 1:06:54 AM   
Zovs

Too many desert war games out there??? Are you kidding? Where?

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 219
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/31/2021 3:31:44 AM   
bcgames

Sounds like a good place to start then...

I was thinking about down the road how we would do Desert War II using the latest version of the game engine...whatever that might be. You know--The Admiral's Edition. A whole new operational map at 2500m per hex, breakdown/build-up battalions, regiments and brigades; attach/detach units, expanded air, naval and ground assets, improved AI...

Naaaaa....

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 220
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/31/2021 2:44:44 PM   
Talon_XBMCX

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Sounds like a good place to start then...

I was thinking about down the road how we would do Desert War II using the latest version of the game engine...whatever that might be. You know--The Admiral's Edition. A whole new operational map at 2500m per hex, breakdown/build-up battalions, regiments and brigades; attach/detach units, expanded air, naval and ground assets, improved AI...

Naaaaa....

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 221
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/1/2021 10:42:26 PM   
BeirutDude

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/BattlesOfNorthAfrica.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Tunisia43.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/ElAlamein42.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Tobruk41.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/StrategicWar/WarSouthernFront.html

Tons of Desert War Scenarios on TOAW IV

Older stuff that I haven't played in years.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 222
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/1/2021 11:26:20 PM   
bcgames

So I guess another Bulge game is out too.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 223
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/1/2021 11:35:42 PM   
BeirutDude

I'm quite confused, you put a question out there, I answered honestly. If you didn't want honest answers why did you ask? I was just answering why I chose not to buy a game that I looked closely at and was interested in, but ultimately chose not to buy.

BTW, I have just about everything that John Tiller has designed but I didn't buy Panzer Battles, Battles of North Africa either.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 2/1/2021 11:40:19 PM >

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 224
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/1/2021 11:46:22 PM   
bcgames

Thank-you for your feedback.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 225
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/5/2021 1:07:54 AM   
sfbaytf

I bought this on sale during the holiday sale and shelved it as I had other things occupying my time. I didn't really look into the game before I purchased and assumed given the time frame a campaign was included. Looking at the comments in this thread I've discovered no campaign. While disappointed, I'm not very upset as I got it for a decent price.

I tired it out for the first time today and I'm playing the tutorial. Its very busy and different. So far I like it, but its obvious I will have to put a lot of time into it to learn the system. Since I'm about to retire soon that shouldn't be a problem as I'll nothing but a lot of time. Besides the lack of a campaign, I would like to see what the terrain is by hovering the mouse pointer over a hex or clicking on it. Having to open the terrain menu and drag and compare doesn't really cut it for me.

Aside from a campaign, I think the Italian Campaign would be a nice fit. Given the busy and cluttered nature of whats already present in North Africa, I can only imagine what it might look like if the Eastern or Western Front might look like. If you're going to do the Italian theater, then a proper campaign is a must, otherwise I'd wait till on sale.

If you're going to do just battles with no campaign, then why not just do a game that uses the same basic system, but do historical battles like Crete, hypothetical invasion of Malta and the Italian/German battles in Greece in 41 and then bundle all 3 in a game?

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 226
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/5/2021 1:19:29 AM   
sfbaytf

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/BattlesOfNorthAfrica.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Tunisia43.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/ElAlamein42.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Tobruk41.html

https://www.johntillersoftware.com/StrategicWar/WarSouthernFront.html

Tons of Desert War Scenarios on TOAW IV

Older stuff that I haven't played in years.

I bought the First Blitzkrieg and War in the Southern Front 10 or so years ago and can't find the disks! I think the intention was to eventually do modules on the Eastern and Western front then link all together so you could play the entire European/Med theater, but looks like that was too ambitious.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 227
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/6/2021 4:03:51 AM   
kaliyama

I would check this out but after a lot of bad experiences I only buy matrix games over steam bc steam will refund purchases that turned out to be mistakes. I bought the SGS afrika korps game over steam but would have grabbed this instead if it was available. I am sure your game is great but I stick to my policy bc too many matrix/published games have turned out to be duds (the 3D close combat, astra exodus, hannibal), buggy (the 3D close combat, numerous others), incomplete (World in Flames, Sovereignty). Being able to refund within 2 hours of play time is essential to not getting ripped off with shovelware.
Perhaps bc steam games have to withstand 2 hours of playtime, the matrix games on steam tend to be the best (field of glory, strategic command, warplan, shadow empire, bsg, etc).

also, i accidentally purchased a second copy of WITP from the matrix store and they declined to refund me.

< Message edited by kaliyama -- 5/6/2021 4:14:38 AM >

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 228
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/6/2021 7:08:17 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaliyama

I would check this out but after a lot of bad experiences I only buy matrix games over steam bc steam will refund purchases that turned out to be mistakes. I bought the SGS afrika korps game over steam but would have grabbed this instead if it was available. I am sure your game is great but I stick to my policy bc too many matrix/published games have turned out to be duds (the 3D close combat, astra exodus, hannibal), buggy (the 3D close combat, numerous others), incomplete (World in Flames, Sovereignty). Being able to refund within 2 hours of play time is essential to not getting ripped off with shovelware.
Perhaps bc steam games have to withstand 2 hours of playtime, the matrix games on steam tend to be the best (field of glory, strategic command, warplan, shadow empire, bsg, etc).

also, i accidentally purchased a second copy of WITP from the matrix store and they declined to refund me.

That's the main reason I EVER buy from Steam, their refund policy.

(in reply to kaliyama)
Post #: 229
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 8/16/2021 6:26:26 PM   
Hellway

Buying last year but play seriously only today and discover a very pleasant game...like good wine, better with time...thanks

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 230
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/29/2021 2:13:36 AM   
FelixCulpa

Why I did not buy. Africa is not my cup of tea but a big fan of WEGO! Even in a hex and counter game, the look and feel is important and I don't think DW cut it. Games from indy developers come and go, so a good single player game is important, ie AI was not received well. WEGO and these type of games really shine in the multiplayer environment. Indy developers tend to attract small multiplayer participation. Don't like games with towers of unit counters and, maybe incorrectly, thought DW had this characteristic.

IMHO Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive is the new standard for presentation of hex and counter games.

Really would like your WEGGOWW2 concept to flourish but anything half-baked will kill your project.

Good luck,

(in reply to Hellway)
Post #: 231
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI