Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/24/2021 9:52:09 AM   
allor

Game ended

allor (Allies) vs ThisEndUp (Axis)

Axis victory in early 43

China and india overwhelmed in early 43 by an aggressive Japan
UK held onto Egypt until early 43 but defense collapsed once german land and air power turned the tide
US lost a carrier on Pearl Harbor day by forward elements of IJN. US never really got into the war in the Pacfic
US and UK spent alot of time chasing subs in the North Atlantic.
USSR bore the brunt of Germany's fury with Leningrad lost in early 43.

Well played by ThisEndUp

(in reply to DmitryN)
Post #: 481
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/25/2021 8:50:41 AM   
Taifun

New game started a few days ago:

clausewitzclausewitz (Axis) vs TAIFUN (Allies)

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to allor)
Post #: 482
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/25/2021 11:18:10 PM   
pjg100

In a conclusion that will likely surprise no one, Fafnir (Axis) gave me a thorough thrashing. Definitely a fun game, unexpected moves, I probably swore at the computer screen more in this game than in any other I can recall. I resigned December 1940, after he had whittled the RN down to a nub consisting of BBs and CVs but little else, while I had not sunk a single Axis naval unit in response. While this would not alone have caused me to throw in the towel, my "stuff everything but the kitchen sink into France" strategy, as well as a misdirected commitment in a secondary theater, resulted in the UK eating its research budget to support its force commitments. These two factors -- which yielded naval supremacy to the Axis over most of the globe, and would have enabled the Axis to ravage the Murmansk convoy -- plus Fafnir's complete conquest of France and impending conquest of Egypt and the Middle East, made the outcome, I believe, inevitable. Kudos to Fafnir!

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 483
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/25/2021 11:20:55 PM   
pjg100

In a conclusion that will likely surprise no one, Fafnir (Axis) gave me a thorough thrashing. Definitely a fun game, unexpected moves, I probably swore at the computer screen more in this game than in any other I can recall. I resigned December 1940, after he had whittled the RN down to a nub consisting of BBs and CVs but little else, while I had not sunk a single Axis naval unit in response. While this would not alone have caused me to throw in the towel, my "stuff everything but the kitchen sink into France" strategy, as well as a misdirected commitment in a secondary theater, resulted in the UK eating its research budget to support its force commitments. These two factors -- which yielded naval supremacy to the Axis over most of the globe, and would have enabled the Axis to ravage the Murmansk convoy -- plus Fafnir's complete conquest of France and impending conquest of Egypt and the Middle East, made the outcome, I believe, inevitable. Kudos to Fafnir!

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 484
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/26/2021 4:49:14 AM   
MattShadowlord

quote:

I resigned December 1940, after he had whittled the RN down to a nub consisting of BBs and CVs but little else, while I had not sunk a single Axis naval unit in response.

'Whaaaat?', but also 'How?' :D

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 485
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/26/2021 10:20:59 AM   
rafaelmbaez

We want details!

(in reply to MattShadowlord)
Post #: 486
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/26/2021 4:46:59 PM   
pjg100

quote:

ORIGINAL: rafaelmbaez

We want details!

Nothing too esoteric, just relentless and skillful combined use of maritime bombers, subs and surface vessels, matched against my lack of maritime bombers and imprudent use of the RN's large but not inexhaustible supply of surface vessels to support overstretched commitments in vulnerable theaters.

(in reply to rafaelmbaez)
Post #: 487
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/26/2021 5:06:51 PM   
Taifun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

New game started a few days ago:

clausewitzclausewitz (Axis) vs TAIFUN (Allies)

Game ended as clausewitzclausewitz resigned early.

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 488
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/28/2021 10:54:29 PM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjg100

quote:

We want details!

Nothing too esoteric, just relentless and skillful combined use of maritime bombers, subs and surface vessels, matched against my lack of maritime bombers and imprudent use of the RN's large but not inexhaustible supply of surface vessels to support overstretched commitments in vulnerable theaters.

Not really following - Germans have 1 maritime bomber so what do you mean bombers? I'd be interested in play-by-play - where you attacked in North Sea? Did you use French fleet to counter? etc.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 489
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/29/2021 10:27:32 AM   
boudi

Boudi (Allies) - Thunderlizard11 (Axis): Thunderlizard11 win

USSR collapse before spring 42'. Thunderlizard played well but the game is still strongly unbalanced in Soviet Union. I gave up in June 42, USSR lose 3-4 units per turn and the cities fall one after the other and the national morale collapses.

Soviet fighters and AA guns are useless against the too powerfull and too numeroos german bombers. And spring'42 germans have allready tanks level 3...

The game must be completely redone in the east.

Well played Thunderlizard11.

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 490
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/29/2021 9:24:04 PM   
pjg100

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjg100

quote:

We want details!

Not really following - Germans have 1 maritime bomber so what do you mean bombers? I'd be interested in play-by-play - where you attacked in North Sea? Did you use French fleet to counter? etc.

GE and IT MBs.

I did not aggressively use the French fleet until after it became clear that Fafnir was going for all of France, as I thought it more important to bolster French NM than to save a few expendable RN CAs.

There was a sort of slow plunking, here and there, which slowly whittled my strength down, mostly killing CAs, CLs and CCs, which I was using for recon and covering other more valuable assets. A few were dispatched in the Channel, a few in the southern Atlantic, etc. In addition, there were two large engagements, one west of the Bay of Biscay and one in the western Med and around Gibraltar, both of which ended poorly for the RN. The first involved a large-scale raid from the Channel ports on north-south traffic from the UK. That one could have ended even more poorly - Fafnir's subs were sniffing around and sunk several vessels but missed a CV by one hex. The second resulted from my efforts to resupply Egypt and put some hurtin' on the IT BBs in the Med. I hit an IT BB in Marseilles with a CV but took a lot of damage to the air wing from a GE FTR, then retired to hide off Barcelona. Unfortunately Fafnir's MBs in Algeria found me and took each of my CVs down to ~6 strength and the Regia Marina sunk several covering vessels. The French fleet was covering for the RN, and took some damage, but my sense was that Fafnir was focusing on RN vessels. I then retired to the Gib area to cover several transports bound for Egypt (an AT, an army and a corps). Next turn, Fafnir took Oran and most of the French vessels disappeared. I then tried a desperation dash to Alexandria with the transports, with a sub partially clearing the way, but it was my hopes that were dashed when my AT and army went to the bottom around Sicily. Fafnir then closed the escape hatch with subs and the Kriegsmarine west of Gibraltar, sinking several vessels that were bidding to escape the slaughter. By the end I had all of my BBs, most of my CVs and several DDs, but had lost most everything else (including one sub with the second about to join it at the bottom of the Med).

As a result, the ITs ruled the Med (and the Axis were likely to take Gib in a few turns after bribing Franco to join), and GE subs and surface vessels lurked everywhere from the Indian Ocean to the north Atlantic. The RN would have been confined to port until I had obtained a few levels of anti-sub and built a few MBs to recon the approaches to the UK, at the risk of losing critical assets like my remaining CVs. The UK was effectively sidelined, and likely would have been further marginalized attempting to defend the Murmansk convoy line following the kickoff of Barbarossa.

Some lessons: as the UK, don't stint on anti-sub and anti-air research, don't overcommit to France, and don't use CAs and CLs as if they were expendable, because if you do you may just run out.

Post #: 491
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/30/2021 9:46:57 AM   
eriador08

New ELO game started:

Eriador08 (Allies) vs DimitryN (Axis)

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 492
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 5/30/2021 3:16:22 PM   
ThunderLizard11

New ELO: ThunderLizard2 (Axis) versus DrZom (Allies)

and

ThunderLizard2 (Axis) versus DavidDailey (Allies)

< Message edited by ThunderLizard2 -- 5/31/2021 5:09:48 PM >

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 493
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/2/2021 7:11:58 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Game completed: Axis Win (Thunderlizard2) over Allies (ralaric). Mid '43 Allies had taken N. and E. Africa and landed in Southern France but having a challenge against German counter. Soviets on verge of collapse. Great game.

2nd Game complete: Allies Win (Thunderlizard2) over Axis (TreeFrog). Early '43 Italy folds. Russia hanging on and Allies landed in Normandy and Brittany.

< Message edited by ThunderLizard2 -- 6/3/2021 8:02:35 PM >

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 494
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/4/2021 5:03:22 PM   
petedalby

New ELO game started.

Jackmck (Allies) vs petedalby (Axis)

Axis hoping to do better 2nd time around against this excellent opponent.

Post #: 495
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/6/2021 11:08:47 PM   
LoneRunner

New ELO game started.

LoneRunner (Axis) vs petedalby (Allies)

Exciting nailbiter game going into early 1942. Germany took both Moscow and Stalingrad. Japan captured Chungking and Sian. However, the Allies are launching furious counterattacks with simultaneous invasions of France and Italy. Also, the Indians and Austrailians are massing in SE Asia. In addition, with some adroit diplomacy Finland and maybe Turkey appear to be moving into the Allied camp. And this is only May 42. The Axis fears what's to come in 43.

Petedalby is an excellent opponent and always a gentleman. If you get a chance to take him on, do so.

< Message edited by LoneRunner -- 6/6/2021 11:14:55 PM >

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 496
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/7/2021 2:03:12 PM   
boudi

Boudi (Allies) vs DmitryN (Axis) started.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 497
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/9/2021 5:06:12 PM   
eriador08

Game ended

Eriador08 (Allies) vs DmitryN (Axis)

Allied Victory in October 41 - Axis surrendered

After a hard fight over France Germany attacked in North Africa, Malta and Balkan. They wanted everything amd streched themselfs thin. While Yugoslavia and Greece fell, Malta and Egypt where saved. Two German Tanks got destroyed near Cairo from English counterattacks. In the meantime Ethiopia was freed with diverse Troops out of all Commonwealth States. In the End Barbarossa was pretty weak and early counterattacks from the Red Army destroyed Finnland. Even East Prussia was invaded.

Japan attacked hard in China but gained little. China hold the line and went into offensive action from time to time.

Thanks for the game.

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 498
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/12/2021 12:29:37 PM   
firsteds

Two new ELO games started (mirror games):

DimitryN (Axis) v firsteds (Allies)
firsteds (Axis) v DimitryN (Allies)

Actually I am a bit late notifying this to the list. Updates shortly. A couple of learners.

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 499
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/12/2021 9:04:20 PM   
eriador08

Game ended

Eriador08 (Axis) vs firsteds (Allies)

Axus Victory in Summer 43 - Allies surrendered

As expected this was a interessting game. Firsteds made use of all Commonwealth Units possible to fight in France, what delayed victory there. Brits invested a lot. As another surprise the Soviets neglected our pact over Poland and we annexed all of them. Then they started to mass their units on the border. Germany had little time to lose and only attacked Yugoslavia. Thereafter Barbarossa was prepared. At the beginning there were many speed bumps, but the red hordes could not keep up. 41 ended with Germany at the gates to all major cities. 42 Moskau, Leningrad and Stalingrad fell. 43 Soviets surrendered. Our ground units were worn out but Luftwaffe grew stong with tech and experience.

In the meantime Italy took out the Brits in East Africa. Egypt was besieged for years without German assistance, as everything went after Russia. Only when Turkey joined our cause we went south through the near east and took Suez.

The theatre in the far east was a whole different story. China was beaten bad through the years and only had one capital left. They were nearly out of the game. Problems began, when conquest of South East Asia was prepared. US went out of their comfort zone and sent U Boots everywhere to harass Japan. Britain sent the bulk of their navy to protect their holdings too. After conquest of Phillipines, Indonesia and those Islands north of Australia our offensive bogged down. Allies began to land everywhere. Both sides lost many ships. I regred not to invest in anti sub tech earlier. I think everything they had went into a counterattack on Japan. Thanks to my brave troops, navy and especially air force we stood our ground untill the Soviets perished.

Thanks for the game.

(in reply to firsteds)
Post #: 500
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/14/2021 12:28:32 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Two ELO completed:
ThunderLizard2 (Axis) versus DrZom (Allies). Axis victory Jan '41. Allies holding strong in Africa and Barbarossa preparations underway.

Rematch with same sides starting soon.

and

ThunderLizard2 (Axis) versus DavidDailey (Allies). Axis victory Mid '42. Barbarossa captures Caspian oil fields and Stalingrad. N. Africa at risk. Burma and Hawaii taken in Pacific. Allies take S. Norway and send Yanks to defend Leningrad.

Two new ELOs just started:
DmitryN (Axis) v ThunderLizard2 (Allies)
LoneRunner (Allies) v. Thunderlizard2 (Axis)

< Message edited by ThunderLizard2 -- 6/15/2021 11:53:45 PM >

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 501
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 7:30:59 AM   
petedalby

quote:

2 new ELO mirror games begun:

Taffjones vs Petedalby

Unfortunately Mike - Taffjones - was unable to continue and both games have timed out. I believe I should claim both games based upon previous posts? I was ahead in both but it would have been better to have played them to a proper conclusion.

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 502
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 9:07:36 AM   
Marcinos1985

quote:

I believe I should claim both games based upon previous posts?

Just take the win(s), you put time and effort into these games. In chess, if time runs out for one side, game is lost regardless of position. I don't see a reason why here should be otherwise.

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 503
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 9:53:46 AM   
firsteds

Two ELO games finished (mirror games):

DimitryN (Axis) v firsteds (Allies) - win for firsteds (Axis resign early after struggles in China)

firsteds (Axis) v DimitryN (Allies) - win for firsteds (epic long game with numerous counter-attacks on every front)

Thanks for the games.

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 504
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 11:28:27 AM   
taffjones

Hi Petedallby

Yes you should be awarded the win's for the games I can't complete which have timed out.

When I am better, I will PM you to arrange a rematch.

Hope you didn't get to wet walking in God's country

All the best
Mike

(in reply to firsteds)
Post #: 505
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 11:48:28 AM   
petedalby

quote:

Yes you should be awarded the win's for the games I can't complete which have timed out.

When I am better, I will PM you to arrange a rematch.

Hope you didn't get to wet walking in God's country

That is very gracious of you Mike - thanks very much. Hope you're on the mend now. Yes - delighted to pick up again when you're fighting fit.

Wales was glorious - great scenery - lots of sheep and not too much liquid sunshine. We were very lucky with the weather.

All the best

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 506
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 4:54:01 PM   
EarlyDoors

ELO Rankings June Update: http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/

Players of the month

1. Thunderlizard11 5 out of 5 wins
2. PeteDalby 3 out of 3 wins
3. eriador08 moves inside the top 5 with 2 out of 2

and a special hello to firsteds who has won 2 out of first 3

----------- Wins
Total Axis 74
Total Allies 72

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 507
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 6:22:32 PM   
LoneRunner

Thank you for maintaining the rankings EarlyDoors. Nice idea with the players of the month.

ELO game completed:
LoneRunner (Axis) defeated PeteDalby (Allies)

Sorry to ruin your three game win streak Pete.

Exciting game with Germany crushing the USSR and furious assaults by the Allies on France and Italy starting in 1941.

Japan declared war on the USSR at the same time as Germany causing the USSR to struggle on two fronts. However, the Japanese DOW on the USSR dragged the USA into the war so quickly that Japan missed hitting Pearl Harbor. Kind of a surprise because I didn't think the USA was concerned about USSR all that much.

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 508
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/18/2021 6:56:30 PM   
LoneRunner

New ELO game started:

PeteDalby (Axis) vs LoneRunner (Allies)

Pete is tough to beat as the Axis so I'm looking forward to a challenging game.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 509
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 6/25/2021 9:07:05 PM   
EarlyDoors

New ELO game started

migace (axis) v EarlyDoors (allies)

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI