Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are Port size 1's worth anything???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Are Port size 1's worth anything??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/27/2021 10:02:06 PM   
incbob

Recently I have come to the conclusion that any port size 1 is not worth any effort toward taking. I finally understood this a couple days ago when, as Japan, my enemy did not take Wake Island. I figured I was in good shape, but then began to realize the implications of port size 1.

== Port Size 1's only supply 20 strength (STR) worth of units, 1 naval group, and offer zero protection.

== If you take with a division (10 STR) you will not have supply for an air group (normally 20 STR). I guess you could wait till an air group was so beat up it was down to 10 STR and then turn off its reinforcements and move it in, but that is a major stretch.

== If you remove the land unit and just go with the 20 STR air unit according to the manual it still would not get supply. Oil using units use 20% more supply so a 20 STR air unit takes 22 supply. Also all I have to do is send a couple DD's your way with a transport, invade, and you lose the air group as it is overrun.

So, what are port size 1's worth? Is there any purpose to taking a port size 1?

I note that port size 2 would provide 40 supply and that could be worth it as an air base.

Post #: 1
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/27/2021 10:22:17 PM   
eskuche

I would probably garrison them with 3-5 strength infantry (which can't be taken immediately) and ~15 strength air unit. An island cluster would require a more heavy blockading force, as single squadrons would be shot down pretty regularly.

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 2
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 1:39:40 AM   
incbob

So, you think it is worth spending an air unit and some infantry on a size 1 port?

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 3
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 3:13:45 AM   
generalfdog

depends on where it is right? wake island not all that important but some of them down by new Guinea and Guadalcanal, can be useful stepping stones

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 4
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 3:06:16 PM   
stjeand

You can't cover every port as either side. You just do not have the units.

There are ports that you do not really have to worry about...BUT ones close to where you play to stage say your navy as Japan you better keep them all or the Allies will get recon, i.e. Rebaul...You need to take all the Allies island and hexes.

AIR units do NOT garrison. They will get destroyed if the enemy takes the port via invasion. Do not place them anywhere alone except in the middle of China or places that can not be reached by landing.

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 5
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 3:35:14 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: generalfdog

depends on where it is right? wake island not all that important but some of them down by new Guinea and Guadalcanal, can be useful stepping stones

Why are they useful as stepping stones?
US Fleet after 42 can take any garrisoned Island it wants to without needing land bases support from Islands. So why waste landing craft taking useless Islands?

The only thing of value to the Islands I have seen so far are as intel sources but they are usually to far from anything worth wanting intel on to be useful.

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 6
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 5:08:22 PM   
stjeand

And the islands are useful to base aircraft...since it is one per airfield.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 7:09:10 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: stjeand

And the islands are useful to base aircraft...since it is one per airfield.

I am not sure that is all that useful. Yes they can be on an Island but what can they do from that Island?
Most of the Islands are near anything worth attacking with air. And, neither side has so much air they run out of bases on the large multi hex land masses. There may be special situations that make occupying an Island for its bases worth while. Maybe some of the Islands off Japan if you plan to invade the mainland and want some support.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 8
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 7:58:49 PM   
stjeand

The islands by Rabual are the ones you really want...or one within range of Truk.

The other islands...just for recon.

In my games the Japanese players have not taken them...And when I see their fleet is in Rabaul, bombing time. Not a good thing for the Japanese player...
Then I rolled in my bombers and the American fleet follows.

Yes I am not strong enough to take them head on but I hit one CV for 2 damage and bottomed another with my air.

You take one off Japan and just start rolling your strat bombers through you can cripple the Japanese economy.

Just one option.

Each game it different and situations change.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 8:02:13 PM   
eskuche

For some reason I am able to sustain a full air division and a half division in the South central (Carolinas etc.) islands along the convoy path for only 8 supply. (12/20 remaining).

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 10
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 8:57:55 PM   
ago1000

There importance is for recon. If you control the hex, your recon in that area increases. Considering the Pacific was all about who sees who first, I think they are important to capture. You don't need to camp out there, but you should try to control them.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 11
RE: Are Port size 1's worth anything??? - 5/28/2021 9:11:24 PM   
sajm0n

recon and planes

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Are Port size 1's worth anything??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI