Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game makes laptop HOT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> RE: Game makes laptop HOT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 3:48:08 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

What I can say is that we will take a deep look at the optimization of the GPU for the first patch.

Sounds like a plan . BTW, the GPU issue aside, I'm havin' fun w/ the game.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 31
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/20/2009 3:28:51 AM   
Anthropoid

It was an Inspirion, can't remember the number, but it would have been a brand new computer in about 2001. Fried after about three years, AND they did not honor my extended warranty. I know they don't like to get negative round here, but over at a Civ site where I have been active for years, I wrote a quite long slam/review recount of the whole xperience. PM me if you want me to try to find it and link you to it.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 32
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/21/2009 9:26:17 PM   
Anraz

This issue also has been addressed in the hotfix - so please report if there is a change.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 33
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/21/2009 10:16:00 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anraz

This issue also has been addressed in the hotfix - so please report if there is a change.

I am excited you addressed this issue. I'm testing it now and will be back within 30 minutes...

EDIT:
Laptop only.
AI setting on high.
It does run cooler, no doubt. It took 20 minutes for the fan to go to high speed. Although the fan was on high, it was not as hot.

I turned the AI down to the lowest setting and exited and came back after the fan turned to low . It made no difference that I could tell. I still had to exit the game after about 15 minutes with the fan back on high. So the AI settings make no difference in heat.

If what you did was doubled, that would do the trick. It's about half way to where I could play it unlimited. It IS better though, thank you!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/21/2009 11:14:15 PM >

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 34
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 2:54:35 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anraz

Haven't had a chance to play much today but will test it ASAP

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 35
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 9:39:29 AM   
Kurak

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP
I am excited you addressed this issue. I'm testing it now and will be back within 30 minutes...

EDIT:
Laptop only.
AI setting on high.
It does run cooler, no doubt. It took 20 minutes for the fan to go to high speed. Although the fan was on high, it was not as hot.

I turned the AI down to the lowest setting and exited and came back after the fan turned to low . It made no difference that I could tell. I still had to exit the game after about 15 minutes with the fan back on high. So the AI settings make no difference in heat.

If what you did was doubled, that would do the trick. It's about half way to where I could play it unlimited.
Try this: open file fpslimit.txt (with Notepad) from the game's installation directory, remove it's content and insert "30" (only the number, without quotation marks), save and close file and then run the game.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 36
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 12:02:29 PM   
oldspec4

Initial look at desktop GPU temps after hotfix is very good...temps seem back to normal for my system.

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 37
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 7:57:34 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kurak

Try this: open file fpslimit.txt (with Notepad) from the game's installation directory, remove it's content and insert "30" (only the number, without quotation marks), save and close file and then run the game.

That did the trick. I even went down to 25 and it displays fine. I have had the game running for one hour and the fan stayed on low. Before, 10-15 minutes and the fan went to high.

However, I have another problem that may be related to lowering the frame rate. When the "Unit upkeep summary" dialog displays, and I click the mouse, it blinks real fast and locks everything until I click again. If I did not click again it would blink forever. It did this before changing the frame rate, but it never locked up. It just blinked fast until I clicked.

Thanks for all the help!

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 38
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 9:56:58 PM   
JFalk68

I'll throw my 2 cents in

First I am very glad to hear to OP got his problem fixed :) !

I think the first problem is that the PC is a dell. I had a desktop from Dell that suffered from over heating problems and at 14 months the GPU was fried and it affected other parts of the system that was causing frequent BSOD and memory problems as well. Dell wanted to sell me a new computer but after doing some research with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and reading about the parts and construction of Dells I decided never,ever again will I buy a Dell.

I found a company called Digital Storm that builds PC's with an A+ BBB rating and United States based tech support along with a rock solid 3 years parts and labor warranty. They are a little pricey but if you can afford to go that route in the future I would highly recommend them!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 39
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/22/2009 10:35:42 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: JFalk68

I'll throw my 2 cents in

First I am very glad to hear to OP got his problem fixed :) !

I think the first problem is that the PC is a dell. I had a desktop from Dell that suffered from over heating problems and at 14 months the GPU was fried and it affected other parts of the system that was causing frequent BSOD and memory problems as well. Dell wanted to sell me a new computer but after doing some research with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and reading about the parts and construction of Dells I decided never,ever again will I buy a Dell.

I found a company called Digital Storm that builds PC's with an A+ BBB rating and United States based tech support along with a rock solid 3 years parts and labor warranty. They are a little pricey but if you can afford to go that route in the future I would highly recommend them!

I'm glad Digital Storm has USA based support. I hate that Dell subs theirs out to places like India, it's horrible.

There is only one reason I use Dell and I can't say why here. I have bought several PC's from them without incident and have recommended many to family and friends also without incident. I guess I am overdue for trouble.

I have a friend that bought Alienware, the top end laptop they had to offer, and it fried with a stupid do nothing game. Go figure?! He spent about $4,500+ on that mistake.

When I bought this laptop it was my first. I could have spent $1,000 more for better cooling, but I didn't want to. I had planned to use it for turn based games and the other normal menial tasks. I don't expect to run King's Bounty or Fallout-3 on it, nor do I care to. I have the big desktop rigs that run anything and everything for that stuff. When this WW2-ToW turn based game heated the laptop up to the highest fan speed, I figured that something could and should be done. And because of great developers that listen, it has cooled down a lot.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 40
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/27/2009 7:14:18 AM   
jimh009

I have a Dell XPS M1530 (2.4ghz duo core/256mb nvidia card) and there's no doubt this game puts the laptop to work. My fan runs constantly and it gets warm (but not hot) to the touch. It's helpful that the XPS is "elevated" a bit (doesn't lay flat, thus, air can filter underneath).

What's weird is that this game runs hotter than WiTP, even though one would think that this game would be far less "processor intensive" than WiTP.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 41
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/27/2009 3:30:03 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimh009

What's weird is that this game runs hotter than WiTP, even though one would think that this game would be far less "processor intensive" than WiTP.

That was my original opinion too, as I have games more graphical and complex that run cooler.

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 42
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/27/2009 3:35:18 PM   
oldspec4

+1 for me on a desktop. The hotfix has improved my heat issue but the game still seems to require a higher level of GPU input than other more graphically intense games.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 43
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/27/2009 4:24:13 PM   
doomtrader

We will try to improve the performance with the patches.

Did you tried Kurak's tip?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2172397

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 44
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/5/2021 7:34:06 AM   
Ashleybarry

Why don't you spend some more money to buy a new best gaming laptop, or you may open your laptop with their specific tool and clean it up. By cleaning, the performance may increase and the heating of your laptop may decrease.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> RE: Game makes laptop HOT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI