Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitE: Watching combat resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> WitE: Watching combat resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/23/2021 5:07:00 PM   
Rusty1961

I want to buy this game. I'm a 10 year vet of WitP:AE and been gaming hard since I was 11 in 1972.

How different is watching the combat results from WitE? I found watching the combat resolution to be underwhelming.

Is it the same?
Post #: 1
RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/23/2021 7:28:37 PM   
xhoel

The combat has changed quite a bit since WitE 1 (improved). No longer will you see German Panzer divisions hitting a 300 tank strong division and only losing 2 tanks as a result. The addition of CPP, movement rules,supply system and weather rules etc is adds a nice dynamic to everything.

You get a lot more info about the combat just by looking at the battle details now. You can see which element hit how many times or how many elements were lost due to different causes. You can filter through the different element types in the battle reports, see engagement ranges etc. This makes it a lot easier to realize what happened, without needing to watch every battle at the highest detail.

I would suggest you buy the game and give it a try, it has a steep learning curve if you want to master it, but it is relatively easy to get into (and fun as well). Hope this helps!

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/23/2021 11:44:01 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

You get a lot more info about the combat just by looking at the battle details now. You can see which element hit how many times or how many elements were lost due to different causes. You can filter through the different element types in the battle reports, see engagement ranges etc. This makes it a lot easier to realize what happened, without needing to watch every battle at the highest detail.

That sounds like War in the West's combat resolution. Is it essentially the same?

Thank you for your response.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 3
RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/24/2021 10:50:06 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

That sounds like War in the West's combat resolution. Is it essentially the same?

Thank you for your response.

no, the code was reworked from the ground up - one reason for splitting the .exe between WiTE2 and WiTW.

most of this is out of sight but the main consequences are more losses in actual combat (as opposed to keying off being retreated) and the greater vulnerablity of low experience elements to some sort of loss (with this escalating in a number of situations)

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 4
RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/24/2021 2:25:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Coming from WITP:AE, if you are expecting the combat resolution to have animated tanks or infantry firing, that's not the case, but you don't get that in WITP:AE either. There are simply too many ground elements. The air resolution in WITE2 is also not graphical, unlike in WITP:AE, but the air battles are also much larger. It has been re-worked from the ground up and watching it resolve can be more interesting than in WITE but it's not as visual as WITP:AE.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution - 7/25/2021 7:55:38 AM   
MarkShot

I must say I bought both WITW and WITE-2. Combat under the hood may well be very different, but its appearance to the player is very similar.

Also,I prefer MESSAGE=1 and AIR=NONE for faster game play. The F11 battle AARs are very detailed.

The only thing you get boosting those is who shot what at whom? what damage they did? what was the consequence? But given the game fails to produce this and just log it ... you can only afford to experience such game play in your 20s. I wish it all did get logged and could be reviewed with the F11 AAR view.

But this is not a game for one who seeks either imagined or visual immersion; rather it is for the strategist. Combat Mission and Graviteam are good titles for battlefield immersion.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> WitE: Watching combat resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI