WitE: Watching combat resolution (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2

Rusty1961 -> WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/23/2021 5:07:00 PM)

I want to buy this game. I'm a 10 year vet of WitP:AE and been gaming hard since I was 11 in 1972.

How different is watching the combat results from WitE? I found watching the combat resolution to be underwhelming.

Is it the same?

xhoel -> RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/23/2021 7:28:37 PM)

The combat has changed quite a bit since WitE 1 (improved). No longer will you see German Panzer divisions hitting a 300 tank strong division and only losing 2 tanks as a result. The addition of CPP, movement rules,supply system and weather rules etc is adds a nice dynamic to everything.

You get a lot more info about the combat just by looking at the battle details now. You can see which element hit how many times or how many elements were lost due to different causes. You can filter through the different element types in the battle reports, see engagement ranges etc. This makes it a lot easier to realize what happened, without needing to watch every battle at the highest detail.

I would suggest you buy the game and give it a try, it has a steep learning curve if you want to master it, but it is relatively easy to get into (and fun as well). Hope this helps!

Rusty1961 -> RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/23/2021 11:44:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

You get a lot more info about the combat just by looking at the battle details now. You can see which element hit how many times or how many elements were lost due to different causes. You can filter through the different element types in the battle reports, see engagement ranges etc. This makes it a lot easier to realize what happened, without needing to watch every battle at the highest detail.

That sounds like War in the West's combat resolution. Is it essentially the same?

Thank you for your response.

loki100 -> RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/24/2021 10:50:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

That sounds like War in the West's combat resolution. Is it essentially the same?

Thank you for your response.

no, the code was reworked from the ground up - one reason for splitting the .exe between WiTE2 and WiTW.

most of this is out of sight but the main consequences are more losses in actual combat (as opposed to keying off being retreated) and the greater vulnerablity of low experience elements to some sort of loss (with this escalating in a number of situations)

Erik Rutins -> RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/24/2021 2:25:50 PM)

Coming from WITP:AE, if you are expecting the combat resolution to have animated tanks or infantry firing, that's not the case, but you don't get that in WITP:AE either. There are simply too many ground elements. The air resolution in WITE2 is also not graphical, unlike in WITP:AE, but the air battles are also much larger. It has been re-worked from the ground up and watching it resolve can be more interesting than in WITE but it's not as visual as WITP:AE.

MarkShot -> RE: WitE: Watching combat resolution (7/25/2021 7:55:38 AM)

I must say I bought both WITW and WITE-2. Combat under the hood may well be very different, but its appearance to the player is very similar.

Also,I prefer MESSAGE=1 and AIR=NONE for faster game play. The F11 battle AARs are very detailed.

The only thing you get boosting those is who shot what at whom? what damage they did? what was the consequence? But given the game fails to produce this and just log it ... you can only afford to experience such game play in your 20s. I wish it all did get logged and could be reviewed with the F11 AAR view.

But this is not a game for one who seeks either imagined or visual immersion; rather it is for the strategist. Combat Mission and Graviteam are good titles for battlefield immersion.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI