Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the 200kb max for this forum?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the 200kb max for this forum? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the 200... - 8/14/2021 11:14:42 PM   
Rednettle

I press Ctrl-C for the screen shot and then copy and paste the image into paint which puts them in the 1mb range. Cutting out everything unnecessary from the picture helps as does saving them as .gif files, but I am still unable to get the images down under 200kb. I see people post much large pictures without problems. What can I do to fix this? Or will I have to use links from a picture hosting website?
Post #: 1
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/14/2021 11:18:25 PM   
zgrssd

I use the Windows Snipping tool for it.

Note that Paint does not have a particulary good .gif or .jpg compression. In fact, it will increase the size of any file made by the snipping tool.
A proper graphics programm like GIMP will give you much better results in jpg compression, while still keeping it readable.

Overall the filesize limits and filetypes are a issue with this subforum.

(in reply to Rednettle)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/15/2021 12:03:47 AM   
Felius

For reference: Win+Shift+S brings up the snipping tool overlay, at least in Win10.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/15/2021 12:31:50 AM   
Rednettle

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I use the Windows Snipping tool for it.

Note that Paint does not have a particulary good .gif or .jpg compression. In fact, it will increase the size of any file made by the snipping tool.
A proper graphics programm like GIMP will give you much better results in jpg compression, while still keeping it readable.

Overall the filesize limits and filetypes are a issue with this subforum.

Alright I'll give it a try, thank you.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/15/2021 12:32:12 AM   
Rednettle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felius

For reference: Win+Shift+S brings up the snipping tool overlay, at least in Win10.

Great, thank you.

(in reply to Felius)
Post #: 5
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/23/2021 6:04:31 PM   
phyroks

I save it on grayscale to bring down the size to fit the forum size, or just upload somewhere else as full picture and link it.

< Message edited by phyroks -- 8/23/2021 6:05:18 PM >

(in reply to Rednettle)
Post #: 6
RE: How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the... - 8/23/2021 8:59:30 PM   
Elver

Greyscale is a smart idea I hadn't thought of. You can also crop out a lot of the screenshot in many cases, scale the size down to 60-80%, and save at a lower .jpg resolution - it doesn't need to be pretty or unpixelated, just to clearly communicate what's going wrong.

(in reply to phyroks)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> How do I take a screen shot that will fit under the 200kb max for this forum? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI