Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Torpedo targeting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Torpedo targeting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Torpedo targeting - 8/24/2021 2:30:33 PM   
beads

Trying to work out torpedo use.

In Harpoon I wwould set an activation point at which the torpedo would go active and start homing in on the target, usually from a different bearing to the one I was on.

When I do a BOL launch in CMO I'm not sure if this sets an activation point, as the sensor arc shows immediately, and I finally worked out that after a BOL you have to use f1 on the target to get the torpedo to actually try to home in on it.

Am I doing something wrong here? Rather than selecting a target, I would expect the active sonar to guide the torpedo to whatever it detects.

Is there a better way to get a torpedo to go active to home in on a target from a direction that _doesnt_ show them exactly where I am?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Torpedo targeting - 8/24/2021 3:53:59 PM   
DWReese

I'm doing this from memory, so if I am saying something that is incorrect, then someone will correct me, of that I'm sure. I'm answering you because no one else is, so take my information for what it's worth.

Unless they are wire-guided, ALL torpedoes are essentially BOL. Yes, you can send them in a direction, and there may be a way to activate them further down their intended path, but I don't know how to do it (sub warfare is not my specialty).

Most wire-guided torpedoes in the game will remain "guided unless the firing sub exceeds 10 kts. At that point, the wire breaks and the torpedo immediately goes active. Using that logic, it would seem that the game is likely set up in a similar manner. If it's not guided, then it will start searching pretty soon after it is fired. Obviously, you can set the path for the BOL, and the sub will try to follow that path unless it finds a target, but the torpedo is sort of on its own once fired.

In answer to your question, I don't know how to set BOL and then activate later, nor do I know if it can even be done.

Hopefully this will help. If not, then hopefully someone with more sub knowledge will come along and answer your question properly for you.

(in reply to beads)
Post #: 2
RE: Torpedo targeting - 8/24/2021 6:46:11 PM   
beads

Thanks for the reply!

I hope there is a way to control activation as it was a key part of my submarine game - if you can activate a torpedo so that it closes on the Target from an entirely different bearing to the one you are on you have a much better chance of staying hidden.

I will do some more experimenting.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Torpedo targeting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI