Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/27/2021 2:06:11 AM   
CaptBeefheart

We have some overlap in our collections, although you have me beat on quantity. Living in small apartments in Asia for decades, I came up with a policy to only buy physical history and other non-fiction books that have maps, photos or charts. I sold all of my actual fiction books a while ago, and all novels I buy now are strictly ebooks. That has saved quite a bit of space and keeps the missus fairly happy.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 31
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/27/2021 6:44:33 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Nice library, Wirraway_Ace! The photo is very blurry but I think I see Costello's Pacific War, Hornfisher's Neptune's Inferno, Slim's Defeat into Victory and Gamble's Fortress Rabaul?

I try to privilege e-books as well due to place constraints and because it's cheaper. But a Kindle in a drawer doesn't impress visitors the same way a wall or two full of bookshelves does .

And I echo the remark of my compatriot Maallon about living in the wrong country to be interested in the Pacific side of WWII. But I can choose between lots of books about how the FFI (French Resistance) and the Free French Forces have beaten the Germans - with a little help from their friends.

Edit: Lol, just noticed that Slim is clearly visible in the other photo further down.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 9/27/2021 6:48:07 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/27/2021 3:34:38 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Nice library, Wirraway_Ace! The photo is very blurry but I think I see Costello's Pacific War, Hornfisher's Neptune's Inferno, Slim's Defeat into Victory and Gamble's Fortress Rabaul?

I try to privilege e-books as well due to place constraints and because it's cheaper. But a Kindle in a drawer doesn't impress visitors the same way a wall or two full of bookshelves does .

And I echo the remark of my compatriot Maallon about living in the wrong country to be interested in the Pacific side of WWII. But I can choose between lots of books about how the FFI (French Resistance) and the Free French Forces have beaten the Germans - with a little help from their friends.

Edit: Lol, just noticed that Slim is clearly visible in the other photo further down.

Thanks, LST.
Yes, Costello, Hornfisher, Slim and Gamble are all there. I have not finished Gamble.

My children go to a French school here in Austin. They appear to have been taught a similar view of the role of the FFI during WWII.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 33
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 12:10:22 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

I count 65 books on my shelves that I have bought since my original purchase of WitP AE. By my calculation, I have spent $3,000 on books and about $75 for the game.

That's awesome. And yes Shattered Sword is fantastic. I wish I could zoom in to see all of those titles. Got a list of them?

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 34
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 12:46:24 AM   
Tanaka

My small JFB collection that keeps growing. Love them all. It all started for me with an old copy of Samurai By Saburo Sakai.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 9/28/2021 1:54:46 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 35
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 1:31:04 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

My small JFB collection that keeps growing. Love them all. It all started for me with an old copy of Samurai By Saburo Sakai.

Yes, Samurai is up there, as is Requiem for Battleship Yamato and Japanese Destroyer Captain.

I will put together a full list when I have a bit to time.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 36
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 3:00:12 PM   
traskott

OMG...

Sir, I'm detoxicating of new books about WitP... . It's disgusting... Please send me the last row ASAP

Post #: 37
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 4:23:08 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

OMG...

Sir, I'm detoxicating of new books about WitP... . It's disgusting... Please send me the last row ASAP

While not the last row, here is another section.
Pig Boat 39 is an excellent book, written by the wife of the skipper of S-39. She gives some fun bits of color to what life was like for a girlfriend/spouse in the late 30's and early 40's, but the real excitement comes from following the captain and crew of S-39. It is pretty clear from the story that the S boats were only marginally combat capable at the time war came to the Asiatic Fleet.

If you want a really depressing read, pick up Iron Coffins, though not about the Pacific theater. This tale is an eye opener about what it was like to be a U-boat skipper once Allied ASW really ramped up in sophistication.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Wirraway_Ace -- 9/28/2021 4:24:44 PM >

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 38
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 4:27:45 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

Tanaka,

what do you think of Aces of the Rising Sun and Zero, neither of which I own.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 39
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 5:12:55 PM   
traskott

oooh man. Such wonderful books !!!

Send me them asap to my adress, and one nigerian prince will appear and gave you not millions of dollars but WitP2 and "WitP3 Limited Edition"

Post #: 40
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 8:35:47 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

Tanaka,

what do you think of Aces of the Rising Sun and Zero, neither of which I own.

If you want to know about every single Japanese pilot in your game there is none better. Pics and biographies of every single stand out pilot in all theaters and organizations.

Zero is probably the next best book after Samurai about the Japanese air war in the Pacific. Great compliment to Samurai and I highly recommend. You are hearing from some of the best Japanese vets of the war such as Sakai and Okumiya as well as the designer of the Zero Horikoshi himself. Also recommend Midway from the Japanese side. Fuchida commanded the Akagi. Good stuff.

Post #: 41
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/28/2021 11:25:42 PM   
Sardaukar

Bergerud's Fire in the Sky is IMHO up there with great books like Shattered Sword.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 42
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/29/2021 2:54:04 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Bergerud's Fire in the Sky is IMHO up there with great books like Shattered Sword.

Agreed! His Fire in the Sky and Touched with Fire cover the entirety of the air and land war in the south pacific together very well!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 9/29/2021 2:55:35 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 43
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/29/2021 8:13:52 AM   
Skacee

Guys,
I am on the same book path with one difference - i have books stored in big banana boxes - for long! Waiting when we will move to the house and I will make some nice cabinet for it. I prefer to read paper then display - i have enough this at work. Thank you for some inspiration and looking forward the list the australian pilo t.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 44
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/29/2021 6:28:57 PM   
Yaab

Clay Blair Jr "Silent Victory. How Yaab Disabled Music in WITP:AE".

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 45
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/30/2021 2:55:51 PM   
SuluSea

This is a great thread! My wife only allows my books in boxes

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 46
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 9/30/2021 4:41:44 PM   
rustysi

quote:

My wife only allows my books in boxes

Hmmm, wife, books, wife, books.... Books.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 47
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/2/2021 4:28:57 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

Pictures like this make me regret buying e-books all the time, because I can't have a nice and classy bookshelf like this.

My biggest concern with e-books is having a way to access them ten years down the road. The whole family loves books, so they are everywhere, along with ladders to get to them. I am not sure the whole family enjoys Roman helmets, but who knows?

How do you have so much empty space on your bookshelves?

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 48
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/2/2021 7:21:25 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

Pictures like this make me regret buying e-books all the time, because I can't have a nice and classy bookshelf like this.

My biggest concern with e-books is having a way to access them ten years down the road. The whole family loves books, so they are everywhere, along with ladders to get to them. I am not sure the whole family enjoys Roman helmets, but who knows?

How do you have so much empty space on your bookshelves?

Space for future books, of course.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 49
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/3/2021 12:27:05 AM   
jdsrae

Thanks for this post.
I’ve just spent some quality time with my boys, flicking through old books and telling stories about their great grandparents.
I’ve got some of the Aus Army and RAAF journals from 1942/43/44 and haven’t looked through them in years.
They include drawings, photos, maps and stories from around the grounds.
I’ll have to take a photo of the drawing of a Wirraway shooting down a Zero and post it here later!
It's from "RAAF Log - The RAAF at War, 1943"

Here it is. Apparently it was an Oscar, not a Zero, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Also this: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11346869
"One Zero shot down by Archer; send 6 bottles of beer"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 10/3/2021 2:50:03 AM >

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

Post #: 50
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/4/2021 2:15:04 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Thanks for this post.
I’ve just spent some quality time with my boys, flicking through old books and telling stories about their great grandparents.
I’ve got some of the Aus Army and RAAF journals from 1942/43/44 and haven’t looked through them in years.
I’ll have to take a photo of the drawing of a Wirraway shooting down a Zero and post it here later!

Here it is. Apparently it was an Oscar, not a Zero, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

That story was part of the inspiration for my forum name. That and a Wirraway driver in one my Uncommon Valor games that got a few kills.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 51
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/4/2021 11:30:42 AM   
btd64

quote:

Thanks for this post.

Thanks for posting this. Good reading....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 52
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/4/2021 12:38:18 PM   
Xargun

Just a heads up for those who peruse their public libraries for such books... Most libraries belong to large consortiums that share the majority of their books - so if your local library doesn't have squat, speak with one of the librarians and see what you can get from another library. Also some of the larger libraries have an ebook service with millions of ebooks available to check out.

I deliver this public service announcement for my wife, who is the director of our county library...

Xargun

PS sometimes you can convince the libraries to buy specific books as well... depending on their budgets and such. Speak with the librarians and see what they can help with.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 53
RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE - 10/4/2021 3:32:37 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Thanks for this post.

Thanks for posting this. Good reading....GP

Thanks, btd64. The story of Jack Archer's kill was part of the inspiration for my forum name.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Real Cost of WitP AE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI