Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 9/29/2021 1:48:49 PM   
ZygfrydDeLowe

Hi all.

I'm trying to get back into this wonderful game.
I know that winning on the western front is still hot, but I'm curious what post WWII scenarios have you played and enjoyed?
Post #: 1
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 9/29/2021 3:51:31 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Web page about my one Modern one:

https://crossrl1.wixsite.com/my-toaw-site/the-next-war-1979

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to ZygfrydDeLowe)
Post #: 2
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 11/9/2021 3:30:10 PM   
LOK32MK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZygfrydDeLowe

Hi all.

I'm trying to get back into this wonderful game.
I know that winning on the western front is still hot, but I'm curious what post WWII scenarios have you played and enjoyed?

If you are interested in playtesting a new scenario I have an updated TOAW-IV scenario called 1988 Global War Game Western and Southwestern TVD (10 km scale-1 day turns-brigade-division level).
The scenario attempts to recreate a NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict in late 1988 in the Western and Southwestern Theater of Military Operations (TVD) shortly after the end of the Iran-Iraq war but before the collapse of the Warsaw Pact ca. 1988.
If you are interested please email or pm me and I can send you a link

(in reply to ZygfrydDeLowe)
Post #: 3
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 2:58:58 AM   
csm308

The current Ukrainian War; 2014 to Present. Would love to see that scenario.

(in reply to LOK32MK)
Post #: 4
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 4:09:04 AM   
MausMan2

here too. -went so far as to start building a map at 2.5 km for the entire Donbas. So far, have only covered from Mariupol to Donetsk and east to the border. It would be interesting to apply the same level of detail that was done in the Yugoslav Trilogy scenario. lots of work to do it right though. -was planning to have the map cover at least up to Sloviansk, but these days thinking it should go much further north.

(in reply to csm308)
Post #: 5
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 6:32:00 AM   
csm308

Indeed, you'd have to include Belarus and as much of Russia's Western Military District as possible to reflect units that deployed there for the Zapad exercises. Granted the Zapad exercises involve mostly invading Poland or deterring an invasion from Poland. Zapad 2021 had a bit of turning south to invade Ukraine as well. It appears all of the Zapad 2021 units returned to the far western part of the Western Military District, Bryansk/Yelnya/Orel, warehoused their equipment then returned to home base.

This does not include the Russian 20th Guards Combined Arms Army which is stationed along Ukraine's eastern border outside of the Donetsk, nor the 1st Guards Tank Army, which recently moved forward its units to staging bases along Ukraine's northeastern border.

You should go as far west/north as Poland, Kaliningrad, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Moldavia. Any European or US relief forces would have to rail through Warsaw. The other countries are also NATO members and may provide relief forces as well. There are currently, I believe, sufficient warehouses of US equipment to outfit a small US Army Corps (Two divisions with supporting units) in Belgium, Germany, and Poland (of all places). A far cry from the old Reforger days of seven full divisions worth of equipment in POMCUS plus two US Army Corps already stationed in Germany alone. All victims of the "peace dividend."

I mention Kaliningrad and Moldavia due to potential Russian Spetznaz raids from those areas. Both areas have at least one combat brigade in them as well, I think. The Zapad exercises usually included a brigade size attack from Kaliningrad eastward to meet up with attacks from Belarus to cut off Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

I wouldn't want to guess how many units the US and NATO/European Union could field. I only know what the US could field within a week then move to Ukraine. Two combat divisions mixed armor mech infantry and supporting units of an Army Corps. You could also include at least one airborne brigade of the 82nd within 24 hours, with the remaining two airborne brigades within 72 hours.

I'm also not including US air and naval forces. The Black Sea could be a slaughterhouse if it wanted to be. I don't even know if the US would risk a carrier battle group there, let alone any other NATO countries. They might send Los Angeles/Virgina attack subs though.

I'm guessing with Russian airbases so close, US air superiority or even parity might not be possible.

The reality is that nobody wants to send any units to assist Ukraine, but to increase the "fun" factor of the game you can release whatever you think logical, especially if it appears Putin is going for the whole Ukrainian enchilada.

You could of course shorten the map by starting any relief forces on Ukraine's western border or as far east as you feel the need. I also don't think the Russians have the logistics to conduct attacks against both Poland and Ukraine at the same time. They'd have to do it on their own as there is no longer a Warsaw Pact to back them up. No more East German, Polish, Czech, or Hungarian divisions to fight alongside them. Its the other way around now and you could add Rumania attacking Moldavia to pin down Russian forces there. I don't think the Poles would actually invade Belarus, but they might provide forces to Ukraine and/or attack Kaliningrad to either seize it or pin down Russian forces there.

Belarus is a basket case militarily and wouldn't add much to Russia's force structure. Belarus might attack with Russian forces, but certainly wouldn't attack on their own.

Lots of ifs to take into consideration. Most importantly, no nukes! Putin's a lot of things slimy but even he'd not start throwing nukes around, especially if he's not fighting on Russian soil.

VR

< Message edited by csm308 -- 12/6/2021 7:25:12 AM >

(in reply to MausMan2)
Post #: 6
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 5:16:06 PM   
MausMan2

Yes that's certainly an example of mission creep. Definitely would need to go to at least 5 or 10 km hex map for that. Or get a hold of that gigantic WWII east front 2.5, update it, and go crazy.
I was thinking more along the lines of recreating 2014 and later with the possibility of either a ending on a ceasefire, or a larger expansion of the conflict zone into northern Luhansk and Kharkiv. Would like to try my hand at stringing together more complicated events driven by things like civilian demonstrations, seizing TV antenna sites, police stations, and border crossing points, etc.
For existing scenarios, I've started on Vietnam Combat Operation. I thought there was an AAR someone did years ago, but not sure if its still out there.
-no end to the ideas for new modern scenarios these days. Armenia vs Azerbaijan 2020 could be interesting as well.

(in reply to csm308)
Post #: 7
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 5:28:05 PM   
csm308

Armenia vs Azerbaijan would also be fun. Those drones were a game changer.

Whatever you decide to produce on Ukraine, I will gladly download and play it. I could do some background research for past, current, and potential conflicts/ORBATS on Ukraine if you wish.

Command: Modern Operations game has a DLC for the Ukraine. It skimps on the ground war though as it is mainly an air/naval game.

Good luck!

VR

< Message edited by csm308 -- 12/6/2021 5:34:07 PM >

(in reply to MausMan2)
Post #: 8
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/6/2021 5:28:14 PM   
cathar1244

Just a suspicion, but modern naval ops would be hard to represent without a lot of abstraction. Getting good representation of naval mine effects in narrow bodies of water, anti ship missiles, and EW effects could not be ignored unless one wanted a WW2 simulation using modern ground equipment and map borders.

Cheers

(in reply to MausMan2)
Post #: 9
RE: Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed - 12/24/2021 2:48:18 PM   
rneum

Have you considered the files in the pca-cpa dot org Permanent Court of Arbitration? It was established by treaty in 1899, is an intergovernmental organization providing a variety of dispute resolution services to the international community. If you look in the content you'll see the Dispute Concerning Coastal State Rights in the Black Sea, Sea of Azov, and Kerch Strait (Ukraine v. the Russian Federation) includes various issues from control of areas to seizure of oil drilling platforms. Some opening comments

"Since spring 2014, Russia has already stolen more than 9 billion cubic metres of natural gas. It has purported to cancel licences duly issued by the Ukrainian government for energy production and it has issued its own licences to Russian companies. Russia has even taken from us valuable and modern mobile drilling rigs which it moves around our entitlements in the Black Sea to drill for more of our natural gas. .....
Ukraine's sovereignty in Crimea is beyond any doubt. Non-recognition of the annexation is the cornerstone of the international community's policy on Crimea, and it's based on the fundamental principle of international law: illegal acts can't produce legal effects. "
Cases include:
2020DASH28 Arbitration pursuant to Article 32 of the Constitution of the Universal Postal Union (The State of Qatar v. The United Arab Emirates)
2020DASH27 Arbitration pursuant to Article 32 of the Constitution of the Universal Postal Union (The State of Qatar v. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
2020DASH25 Arbitration pursuant to Article 32 of the Constitution of the Universal Postal Union (The State of Qatar v. The Kingdom of Bahrain)
2019DASH28 Dispute Concerning the Detention of Ukrainian Naval Vessels and Servicemen (Ukraine v. the Russian Federation)
2017DASH06 Dispute Concerning Coastal State Rights in the Black Sea, Sea of Azov, and Kerch Strait (Ukraine v. the Russian Federation)
2020DASH26 Arbitration pursuant to Article 32 of the Constitution of the Universal Postal Union (The State of Qatar v. The Arab Republic of Egypt)
2015DASH42 Arbitration under the Timor Sea Treaty (TimorDASHLeste v. Australia)
2015DASH28 The 'Enrica Lexie' Incident (Italy v. India)
2014DASH07 The Duzgit Integrity Arbitration (Malta v. São Tomé and Príncipe)
2014DASH02 The Arctic Sunrise Arbitration (Netherlands v. Russia)
2013DASH30 The AtlantoDASHScandian Herring Arbitration (The Kingdom of Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands v. The European Union)
2013DASH19 The South China Sea Arbitration (The Republic of Philippines v. The People's Republic of China)
2013DASH16 Arbitration under the Timor Sea Treaty (TimorDASHLeste v. Australia)
2013DASH11 The ARA Libertad Arbitration (Argentina v. Ghana)
2012DASH05 The Republic of Ecuador v. The United States of America
2012DASH04 Arbitration Between the Republic of Croatia and the Republic of Slovenia
2012DASH01 Railway Land Arbitration (Malaysia/Singapore)
2011DASH03 Chagos Marine Protected Area Arbitration (Mauritius v. United Kingdom)
2011DASH01 Indus Waters Kishenganga Arbitration (Pakistan v. India)
2010DASH16 Bay of Bengal Maritime Boundary Arbitration between Bangladesh and India
2004DASH05 Land Reclamation by Singapore in and around the Straits of Johor (Malaysia v. Singapore)
2004DASH04 Guyana v. Suriname
2004DASH02 Barbados v. Trinidad and Tobago
2003DASH02 Iron Rhine Arbitration (Belgium/Netherlands)
2002DASH01 MOX Plant Case (Ireland v. United Kingdom)
2001DASH03 Ireland v. United Kingdom (OSPAR Arbitration)
2001DASH02 EritreaDASHEthiopia Claims Commission
2001DASH01 EritreaDASHEthiopia Boundary Commission
2000DASH02 The Rhine Chlorides Arbitration concerning the Auditing of Accounts (The Netherlands/France)
1996DASH04 Eritrea/Yemen DASH Sovereignty and Maritime Delimitation in the Red Sea
1925DASH01 Island of Palmas (or Miangas) (The Netherlands / The United States of America)
1921DASH01 Norwegian Shipowners' Claims (Norway v. United States of America)
1913DASH01 Boundaries in the Island of Timor (The Netherlands v. Portugal)
1912DASH01 French Postal Vessel "Manouba"
1910DASH03 Arrest and Return of Savarkar (France / Great Britain)
1910DASH02 Russian Claim for Interest on Indemnities (Russia / Turkey)
1910DASH01 Canevaro claim (Italy / Peru)
1909DASH02 The Orinoco Steamship Company case (United States of America / Venezuela)
1909DASH01 The North Atlantic Coast Fisheries Case (Great Britain / United States of America)
1908DASH02 Deserters of Casablanca (France/Germany)
1908DASH01 The Grisbådarna Case
1904DASH01 Muscat Dhows (France / Great Britain)
1903DASH01 Preferential Treatment of Claims of Blockading Powers against Venezuela (Germany, Great Britain and Italy v. Venezuela)
1902DASH02 Japanese House Tax (Germany, France, and Great Britain / Japan)
1902DASH01 The Pious Fund of the Californias (The United States of America v. The United Mexican States)

Someday I'll be able to post a URL and possibly understand why a dash isn't allowed.

< Message edited by rneum -- 12/24/2021 2:50:33 PM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modern conflicts scenarios recommendations needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI