Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Going to buy new PC - advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Going to buy new PC - advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/6/2021 7:55:48 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, I am going to buy me a new PC and I know there are very knowledgeable people here. So thanks in advance to everyone willing to help. Here are the 4 options:

1) CPU INTEL I7 10700K LGA 1200 (5,1 GHz?) - MSI GTX 1660TI VENTUS XS 6GB
2) CPU INTEL I9 10900KF LGA 1200 (5,30 GHz?) - MSI GTX 1660TI VENTUS XS 6GB
3) CPU INTEL I9 10900KF LGA 1200 (5,30 GHz?) - 8 GB ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070
4) AMD RYZEN 7 5700G BOX (4,6 GHz?) - 8 GB ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070

16 GB of RAM all of them.

NOT planning to play high end FPS games. I DO want a fast processor though. As example, I toyed (for the lulz, sharing with friends via whatsApp) with the Deep Fakes (AI new technology) and my current PC's speed was 4 GHz (very decent), my laptop Lenovo I7 Legion = 2,7GHz (much much more slower).

I too heard that the 3070 graphic card might be excesive, that I don't really need it. My amateurish (?) choice is perhaps 2).

Am I wrong? Ideas?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke
Post #: 1
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/6/2021 8:32:47 PM   
DD696

A couple months ago I bought an Omen desktop, 5800x ryxen, 16 ram and a 3700ti due to my omen laptop getting zapped by lightning thru the Ethernet connection. I have been very satisfied with it, buying it to accommodate Microsoft flight simulator 2020. That game needs a strong cpu and graphics card and I am very satisfied with it. Bought it on amazon.

Whoops! it has a 3060ti and I bought it from Best Buy. Sorry about that slip of memory. Us old farts. What are you going to do???

< Message edited by DD696 -- 10/6/2021 9:13:34 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/6/2021 10:03:18 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Well, I am going to buy me a new PC and I know there are very knowledgeable people here. So thanks in advance to everyone willing to help. Here are the 4 options:

1) CPU INTEL I7 10700K LGA 1200 (5,1 GHz?) - MSI GTX 1660TI VENTUS XS 6GB
2) CPU INTEL I9 10900KF LGA 1200 (5,30 GHz?) - MSI GTX 1660TI VENTUS XS 6GB
3) CPU INTEL I9 10900KF LGA 1200 (5,30 GHz?) - 8 GB ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070
4) AMD RYZEN 7 5700G BOX (4,6 GHz?) - 8 GB ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070

16 GB of RAM all of them.

NOT planning to play high end FPS games. I DO want a fast processor though. As example, I toyed (for the lulz, sharing with friends via whatsApp) with the Deep Fakes (AI new technology) and my current PC's speed was 4 GHz (very decent), my laptop Lenovo I7 Legion = 2,7GHz (much much more slower).

I too heard that the 3070 graphic card might be excesive, that I don't really need it. My amateurish (?) choice is perhaps 2).

Am I wrong? Ideas?

Get the best system that you can for the price that you can afford. You may see break points in price if you plot the costs on a graph. They latest will always be more expensive than it should otherwise by on a graph like that.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 3
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/6/2021 11:37:07 PM   
ThomasJay

If you're not doing FPS or simulators, #2 looks the obvious choice of the four.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 2:09:51 PM   
Greybriar

I always purchase the best PC gaming rig I can afford. Cutting corners only results in bottlenecks that require upgrading sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to ThomasJay)
Post #: 5
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 2:55:19 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well need to know where you are located, some places are limited. I think alot of those pc hardware are starting to get expensive, unless they are old outdated. Due to lack of chip makers for most companies.

If you are in USA, could try looking into Newegg.com for barebone, some of them are pretty good deal. Building your own, will be costly.

I got mine back in March or April, got this gaming rig from Dell. Not Alienware, just too d*mn expensive. I paid around 1600 for this one and has Intel i7(8cores)3GHz, 16GB, nice Nivida GeForce 3060Ti with 8GB. Really nice gaming rig here also comes in with free stuffs esp Windows 10x64. Later on wanted to double my ram compacity, Dell wanted too much and manage to find one from Amazon for more than half of the cost.

So you need to decide what games are you playing. For example, No Man's Sky with max settings, you will need a good rig like this one i mention. If not much into 3D gaming, then shouldnt be that expensive to get.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 6
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 3:44:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, I forgot I am into simulators. I guess I might need the 3070 after all. The I9 seems to be faster than the AMD therefore 3) is what I apparently need.

This is a computer store and the 4 options they offer to me. I am not remotely skilled enough to buy components and assemble this thing.

Money is not a problem (number 3: 1.900 €; funny thing AMD is the most expensive) and yes, there's the disrupted world's supply chains thing. Graphic card NOT available *right now*

Thanks again for the kind help. I agree I should buy the BEST thing I *can* afford.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 7
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 6:13:37 PM   
ncc1701e

Honestly, if you are in simulators like X-Plane 11 with an Oculus Quest VR headset, you must go for a 16 GB GPU card.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 8
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 7:16:58 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Well, I forgot I am into simulators. I guess I might need the 3070 after all. The I9 seems to be faster than the AMD therefore 3) is what I apparently need.

This is a computer store and the 4 options they offer to me. I am not remotely skilled enough to buy components and assemble this thing.

Money is not a problem (number 3: 1.900 €; funny thing AMD is the most expensive) and yes, there's the disrupted world's supply chains thing. Graphic card NOT available *right now*

Thanks again for the kind help. I agree I should buy the BEST thing I *can* afford.

I built a new computer at the start of the year for the first time, wasn't too hard. But, graphics cards were out then and they still are. Rather than putting everything into getting that GPU that is way overpriced at the moment, just make sure you pick other parts that can support future upgrades.

It's actually twice as important to check this if buying a package computer. They might sport the most expensive GPU and CPU, but the motherboard might be of older stock and so on.

Post #: 9
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 8:08:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e
Honestly, if you are in simulators like X-Plane 11 with an Oculus Quest VR headset, you must go for a 16 GB GPU card.

I guess you're right but that's another league. Prices [only of these graphic cards]: 1.000, 2.000... even 4.000 € The guy from the store asked me how much I wanted to spend: "between 1.500 and 2.000". I know I can have a really good PC with this. I too know it will be more or less obsolete by circa 2026 (?).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri
[...] just make sure you pick other parts that can support future upgrades.

It's actually twice as important to check this if buying a package computer. They might sport the most expensive GPU and CPU, but the motherboard might be of older stock and so on.

Well spotted, will definitely ask the guy. I know he is professional and very honest (he was with my sister).

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 10
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 8:52:21 PM   
RangerJoe

I do believe that the Intel and AMD chips speeds are not always equal, that is a slightly slower AMD may be just as fast as an Intel. You might be able to just wait for a graphics card as well.

This may interest you:

quote:

Comparing AMD and Intel
Specification Comparison

We have done a comparison between the i9-9900K and the Ryzen 3950X. The 3950X comes with 16 cores/32 Threads and is built for multi-tasking. It can also handle 4K gaming without any issues. It also has 64MB of cache and dual channel memory. It has a base-clock speed of 3.5 GHz and a boost speed of 4.7 GHz.

The i9-9900K has 8 cores and 16 Threads but offers better single-core performance. It has a base clock of 3.6 GHz and a boost speed of 5 GHz and consumes less power than the Ryzen one. Additionally, it also comes with integrated graphics as well.
Performance Comparison

Most of the intel processors come with integrated graphics, and as a result, you can even avoid buying a GPU. However, the performance level is very impressive. AMDs have less integrated CPU and GPU units. Regardless of whether you choose Intel or AMD, a good quality processor suitable for gaming and streaming will cost anywhere between 200 and 350 Dollars.

If you have a dedicated GPU, then the Intel processor will offer better performance over it’s AMD equivalent. This is due to the architecture of the CPU. The 9900K is arguably the strongest gaming CPU at the time of its release. The Ryzen 9 3590X can outperform all the i9 CPUs in multi-threaded applications and offers great gaming performance. If you are a hardcore gamer, go for the 9700K or 9900K. If you are interested in things other than gaming, opt for a high-end Ryzen processor.

https://www.electronicshub.org/amd-vs-intel-processor-comparison-chart/

― Julia Child

Post #: 11
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 8:55:55 PM   
RangerJoe

AMD vs Intel: Which CPUs Are Better in 2021?
By Paul Alcorn 23 days ago
We put AMD vs Intel in a battle of processor prowess.

quote:

If you're looking for the best CPUs for Gaming or the best workstation CPU, there are only two choices to pick from – AMD and Intel. That fact has spawned an almost religious following for both camps, and the resulting AMD vs Intel flamewars, making it tricky to get unbiased advice about the best choice for your next processor. But in many cases, the answer is actually very clear. In fact, for most users, it's a blowout win in AMD's favor, as you can see in our CPU Benchmarks Hierarchy. That's an amazing reversal of fortunes for the chipmaker after it teetered on the edge of bankruptcy a mere four years ago, making its turnaround all the more impressive as it continues to upset the entrenched Intel after it enjoyed a decade of dominance.

This article covers the never-ending argument of AMD vs Intel desktop CPUs (we're not covering laptop or server chips). We judge the chips on seven criteria based on what you plan to do with your PC, pricing, performance, driver support, power consumption, and security, giving us a clear view of the state of the competition. We'll also discuss the lithographies and architectures that influence the moving goalposts. Overall, there's a clear winner, but which CPU brand you should buy depends mostly on what kind of features, price, and performance are important to you.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 10:51:21 PM   
demyansk

Cyber power has good sales on gaming computers

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/7/2021 10:54:09 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

If you're looking for the best CPUs for Gaming or the best workstation CPU, there are only two choices to pick from – AMD and Intel.

The real workstation CPU for 2021 is the new Apple M1 chip. My daughter came down in September with her new iPad Pro 13" (yep, dad paid for it) on which she basically moved all her video editing work. It is just stunning. I guess that a similar CPU paired with a GeForce 3090 GTX on PC would give photorealistic 3D games.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 10/7/2021 10:55:06 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/8/2021 1:04:14 PM   
Jim D Burns

I recently bought a new PC about 8-10 months ago. All I can say is the new systems run a lot hotter than the older ones did, so don't make the mistake I made. I bought the typical fan setup for the box and it was simply insufficient to keep the system cool when running graphic games like MechWarrior 5. Spend the cash up front to get the best fan cooling setup you can. The more airflow the better. I'm not sure if the trouble was with the CPU or the video card, but the heat built up fast whenever I ran a graphically intense game and my system would crash and reboot. Runs fine now with high airflow.

i9-10900KF CPU 3.70 GHz
GeForce RTX 3080

Jim

Post #: 15
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/9/2021 7:36:54 PM   
Kuokkanen

GTX 1660 Super is quite decent graphic adapter if you still can find it for a decent price (cost me some 350 € when it was new). 8 GB of RAM is on the low end, but enough for war games. SSD (Solid State Drive) are much cheaper than years ago and even cheapest ones beat the best HDDs, and gives you a significantly more performance compared to HDD. Don't get the most cheapest one though, and I really recommend to read some computer magazines about them first. I'm not sure what you would do with powerful processor though. I've got old Core i5-2500K, and it is quite adequate for war games, even ones with 3d polygons (BATTLETECH, Phoenix Point).

For sake of reference, this desktop I'm typing this with:
Core i5-2500K
8 GB of RAM
GeForce GTX 1660 Super
HDD

Worst performer is the hard disk. If I want to improve performance, that is the one easiest thing to change to SSD. It isn't bad enough to go through the trouble of installing operating system (could do upgrade from Win7 to Win10 with Win7 key) and everything else on it. Increasing RAM would be another thing to do, but old ones are under massive heat sink and I'm not confident in my skills to scrape off old thermal paste and apply new one to it. As already said, graphically more demanding war games, like BATTLETECH and Phoenix Point, run well enough on this with HD resolution, with occasional lag (motion may freeze for a moment at times), but it isn't as bad as with older graphic adapter (GTX 580, RIP).

I have newer desktop PC with a VR set elsewhere. I spared no expenses on that one, and it cost me several thousand €. Gotta disassemble and remove broken ground source heat pump so I can clear the room for VR action again. Maybe during Christmas holidays or new years...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 16
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/9/2021 10:12:32 PM   
Karri

If you really wanna get into building one from scratch, here's a website that I used:
https://pcpartpicker.com/

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/10/2021 2:55:09 AM   
operating

I'm no computer geek, anyhow about 10 years or so ago ordered a Dell Professional that had 6 ram, asked Dell to bump it up to 10 or 12 ram before delivery, Dell says OK and it was done. Always heard you need to have alot of ram to do gaming, the more ram the better. The only thing was: Nobody, including Dell did not suggest to increase fan cooling capacity and I am not wise to all the heat that ram creates, but sure as hell found out the hard way when the pc started smoke-ing and stinking up the house from burning pc components. Heck I say, I'm going to get my monies worth out of this rig by putting frozen water bottles and frozen medical packs around the tower and kept on playing the game of the day mostly in MP, till finally the rig totally up and died. Have a Dell XPS 10 ram gaming rig now with dual fans, learned my lesson the hard way, hope others do not make the same mistake.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 18
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/15/2021 6:54:11 PM   
TheFjordFox

I would just like to say that my 3070 has been problematic since day one. it's always 50 degrees or more at idle, the fans can not be turned off, and running paint will skyrocket the temperature, and hence, the fan speed. ...I wanted to return it, but since I had smoked in the room where the box was stored, and it smelled like smoke, they didn't even bother checking if it's defective, and refused the return. What scumbags...

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 19
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/19/2021 6:46:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

If you're looking for the best CPUs for Gaming or the best workstation CPU, there are only two choices to pick from – AMD and Intel.

The real workstation CPU for 2021 is the new Apple M1 chip. My daughter came down in September with her new iPad Pro 13" (yep, dad paid for it) on which she basically moved all her video editing work. It is just stunning. I guess that a similar CPU paired with a GeForce 3090 GTX on PC would give photorealistic 3D games.

I was shopping in the Apple Store for a MacBook Pro. I learned that Apple has not figured out how to do 3D VR graphics and there is no app that can do a reasonably good job of compensating for that lack. The M1 chip will not help either. So if the OP wants to do VR flying sims he must stick with Intel or AMD (or by a used flight simulator from an airline)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 20
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/19/2021 7:38:14 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I was shopping in the Apple Store for a MacBook Pro. I learned that Apple has not figured out how to do 3D VR graphics and there is no app that can do a reasonably good job of compensating for that lack. The M1 chip will not help either. So if the OP wants to do VR flying sims he must stick with Intel or AMD (or by a used flight simulator from an airline)

I understand some Apple computers come with Intel processors. That is worthless without appropriate software though.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/19/2021 8:45:29 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I understand some Apple computers come with Intel processors. That is worthless without appropriate software though.

Don't bother. I have Windows 10 installed on a virtual machine on my late 2019 MacBook Pro and I can run wargames and some ancient 3D Apps.

However, yesterday Apple presented their new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips and they are da bomb If you fork about $5000 you can have a MacBook Pro with the 3D power of a GTX 3080. Luckily they are still for pre-order only, so in the next few days the excitement should slow and we will be able to have some more sane evaluations.

Of course my youngest daughter, who is studying professional video making at the college, is already ringing the bell...

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 22
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 10/19/2021 9:04:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

I recently bought a new PC about 8-10 months ago. All I can say is the new systems run a lot hotter than the older ones did, so don't make the mistake I made. I bought the typical fan setup for the box and it was simply insufficient to keep the system cool when running graphic games like MechWarrior 5. Spend the cash up front to get the best fan cooling setup you can. The more airflow the better. I'm not sure if the trouble was with the CPU or the video card, but the heat built up fast whenever I ran a graphically intense game and my system would crash and reboot. Runs fine now with high airflow.

i9-10900KF CPU 3.70 GHz
GeForce RTX 3080

Jim

Well, the guy from the computer store cannot find components. This disrupted world's supply-chains thing is indeed getting serious He's offering me an I7. Given that there is already an I9 I said no. Via Amazon I just found [and bought] basically what you bought, except it's a 3070 card. I should receive it between the 22 and 27 october.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFjordFox

I would just like to say that my 3070 has been problematic since day one. it's always 50 degrees or more at idle, the fans can not be turned off, and running paint will skyrocket the temperature, and hence, the fan speed.

Let's hope I have zero problems.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 23
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 11/2/2021 11:12:36 AM   
Gilmer

I built a computer with an AMD chip (my first ever AMD chip) and an EVGA 3070. I have not had any problems. Package computers do skimp on stuff you'd never even think to check. They'll skimp on the wireless card, the motherboard, etc. That is why I built my own. Second one I have ever built.

Example. I was streaming stuff online with a store bought computer and it was always buffering. My brother in law who is a computer person said the wireless card must really suck because I shouldn't be having those problems. So, I built a computer and got the absolute best wireless card I could get. No more buffering problems.

No problems for me with this set up. I also bought one of those SSD's that are right on the motherboard. Really fast load times.

If you're getting a Dell, then I say good luck. They use a lot of proprietary components and it is deuced difficult and sometimes impossible to upgrade it later. I'm talking power source and wireless cards and other stuff. It's been a while since I owned one, so maybe they are better, but Linus PC did a secret shopper and graded them the worst.

< Message edited by Gilmer -- 11/2/2021 11:22:41 AM >

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Post #: 24
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 11/2/2021 1:26:28 PM   
TulliusDetritus

It arrived the 25 IIRC. Ah, the card is a 3060 (12 GB). Really fast computer, no noise, no heat. The people above with problems, did you buy the components and build the computer or you did like me = buy the whole finished good?

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 25
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 11/2/2021 3:23:21 PM   
DonH58

I just built a new PC.
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
32 Gigs ram
Asus Tuff B550 gaming MB
Enthoo Pro PC case, the case is just plain awesome and low priced.
Kept my PSU Monitor and Graphics card and did it all for less than 800 bucks,

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus MB
Radeon Rx 570 8GB Graphics Card
T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB RAM
SSD 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2
Win 10

Post #: 26
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 11/12/2021 9:53:23 AM   
imaneanys54

If you are looking for a monitor I have the best suggestion for you. I've been using Alienware 25 AW2518Hf Monitor and it is one of the best monitors for fighting games. It has a 240Hz refresh rate and 1ms of response time. If you want to go with this I'm 100% sure you will not regret it.

(in reply to DonH58)
Post #: 27
RE: Going to buy new PC - advice - 11/12/2021 1:02:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: imaneanys54
If you are looking for a monitor I have the best suggestion for you. I've been using Alienware 25 AW2518Hf Monitor and it is one of the best monitors for fighting games. It has a 240Hz refresh rate and 1ms of response time. If you want to go with this I'm 100% sure you will not regret it.

In fact, yes, I'm planning to buy a monitor. Mine is a 21" and from what I'm reading I need one between 24" and 27".

(in reply to imaneanys54)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Going to buy new PC - advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI