Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/9/2021 3:36:07 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Watching US Open Men's Tennis in New York.
This guy Novak Djokovic is pretty good, wins every night.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3781
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/9/2021 7:19:40 PM   
RFalvo69

I'm binge watching Rick and Morty. What a mindf**k

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 3782
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/9/2021 8:36:41 PM   
gamer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

"In Kyrgyzstan, players throw themselves into the national sport of kok boru, a rough polo-like game played on horses - with a dead goat as the ball."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12595580/
https://www.netflix.com/tr-en/title/80227160

I guess that the game would tenderize the meat . . .

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/kok-boru-the-horse-game-you-wont-see-at-the-olympics-18386029/

This one much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDLJ7YJOnA about meat and pilav (rice) I think thats the best food in the world.

My brother was in Khazakistan during brawl between Kazak and Turkish workers he was an engineer in 2006 has no harm but he said they have no mercy in fighting.
https://www.rferl.org/a/1072169.html

< Message edited by gamer78 -- 9/9/2021 8:38:40 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3783
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/10/2021 4:52:10 PM   
Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

A very wild ride. They can pack a lot of insanity into their stories. Sometimes I've had to watch an episode twice, once for the rapid-fire jokes and then a second time to keep track all the syfy concepts they're sending up.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3784
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/11/2021 1:46:15 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

In Rambo III, John J. played some Goat ball.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 3785
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/11/2021 2:59:34 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Currently watching, "Impeachment" on FX. https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/american-crime-story

It's about this American President who drops something on a young intern's dress. Not really sure what genre to call this, Oral History?

Post #: 3786
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/14/2021 10:02:38 AM   
jhyden

quote:

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Title: Remembering Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis - ABC News Nightline - May 19, 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKbEKSuJZM

🌍 best wishes all ~

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jhyden -- 9/14/2021 10:55:27 AM >

Post #: 3787
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/14/2021 9:27:57 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

A very wild ride. They can pack a lot of insanity into their stories. Sometimes I've had to watch an episode twice, once for the rapid-fire jokes and then a second time to keep track all the syfy concepts they're sending up.

My youngest daughter suggested this show to me. She said that it was "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but on bad acid - something that I dug immediately. What I didn't expect was the level of nihilism and violence, both physical and psychological. The end of episode six (the one with the "cronenbergs") is one of the darkest things I ever watched. For sure it is full of genius but not something I would show to children.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 3788
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/15/2021 9:31:02 AM   
Buckrock

The show veers from painfully dark to hilariously light and all places in-between but I can assure you the Cronenbergs episode is definitely not the darkest one out there. The episodes that focus on progressing the show's story arc forward tend to be the darkest and least humorous of the lot. A necessary evil I suppose. Definitely not a show I'd recommend for the kiddies either.

And remember to watch the post-credit bonus segments. Some of them are brilliant twists on the episode just gone.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3789
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/15/2021 2:13:45 PM   
Zorch

'The Regia Marina in WW2 - The Under-appreciated Navy (w. Vincent O'Hara)' by Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np73fWCDnfg
An 85 minute talk with author Vincent O'Hara about the Italian Navy.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 3790
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2021 12:15:01 PM   
warspite1

Vigil - BBC1

I love detective dramas - and this one is a detective drama on HMS Vigil a fictional Trident nuclear submarine - fantastic. Line of Duty under the sea

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3791
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2021 12:48:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

'The Regia Marina in WW2 - The Under-appreciated Navy (w. Vincent O'Hara)' by Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np73fWCDnfg
warspite1

An interesting discussion. O'Hara comes across very well - just as he does in his books, which I think are largely well written.

He makes some valid points, although I still disagree with his overall view of the Regia Marina in WWII. But at least in presenting his view, he provides further reading on a topic that deserves to be read.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3792
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/23/2021 11:43:20 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

An interesting discussion. O'Hara comes across very well - just as he does in his books, which I think are largely well written.

He makes some valid points, although I still disagree with his overall view of the Regia Marina in WWII. But at least in presenting his view, he provides further reading on a topic that deserves to be read.

From its use, I don't think that Little Bennie nor the "Paper hanging son of a (insert word for a female canine)" in Berlin appreciated it nor what it could do.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3793
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/23/2021 11:44:44 PM   
RangerJoe

Hacksaw ridge on DVD but I just picked up Dunkirk on DVD - it was on sale. The Dunkirk DVD was cheaper than the price of a movie ticket . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3794
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/24/2021 6:51:43 AM   
Orm

In my quest for re-watching old films I watched Resident Evil again. Really like it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3795
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/3/2021 10:12:34 AM   
warspite1

The Murder of Lord Mountbatten: 3 Days that Shook Britain (Channel 5)

A very well done documentary on the murder of Mountbatten. Although I remember the time it happened very vividly, I've never read about what actually happened. This was a very well put together documentary that dealt with the events in chronological order and didn't try and be too clever for its own good. Recommended.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3796
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/5/2021 3:12:00 AM   
warspite1

Hot on the heels of Vigil the latest BBC offering on a Sunday night is Ridley Road. First episode started well. The story is based on true events and the rise of anti-semitism in the UK in the early 60’s (although I don't think this was in any way shape or form ever widespread outside a few neanderthals). So far so okay, with an excellent cast including the always watchable Greg Kinnear. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/11/2021 3:17:07 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3797
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/5/2021 3:33:35 AM   
BBfanboy

Haven't watched it in a while, but I really loved the performances and scope of the two mini-series: The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance, based on Herman Wouk's excellent books. Robert Mitchum plays the main character - 'Pug' Henry - a USN Captain. It follows his story as he is posted to diplomatic and intelligence posts in Germany before the US entered WWII. It then follows him into the Guadalcanal campaign where he loses his CA at Tassafaronga. And then he goes on to work on increasing production of amphib ships (where he bumps into competition from the Manhattan Project).

Meanwhile, his sons are involved by marriage with a Jewish family, and one of them serves as an SBD pilot at Midway. The Jewish family is caught up with trying to escape Germany during chaotic 1940. Some do, some don't. Some go to the camps. And Pug encounters a fine Australian lady named Pamela, played by a young Victoria Tennant. She alone is enough reason to watch ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3798
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/5/2021 11:40:32 AM   
RFalvo69

I watched the first three episodes of "Foundation" and I think I'll stop. The adaptation is just dire. The first episode was actually interesting, and Jared Harris was exactly how I imagined Hari Seldon when I read the books. Then things went very south with the second episode and never recovered.

Gratuitous gender/race swapping abounds (*) - including a gender swapping that breaks an important plot point. But, no, wait: the plot has nothing to do with the books and a big reveal far down the story is wasted ten minutes in, so I guess nothing was broken.

If you are looking for an adaptation of Asimov's books don't bother: only the first episode touches the original story, the rest throws in some names and that's it. If you forget the books, then you get a very boring sci-fi show, so full of plot holes that by the third illogical event you simply stop bothering.

Pity, because the production values are stunning. Asimov almost never gave a visual description of places and landscapes, so the work that they did to portray Trantor and the Foundation universe is breathtaking. The actors do what they can with the characters they are given and I can commend Lee Pace for doing his best with a very stupidly written Emperor. Still, this remains a wasted opportunity.

(*) Edit: I have nothing against gender/race swapping by itself, if done for a reason. In the new "Battlestar Galactica" turning Scorpion into a woman greatly enriched the story. Here it seems that Gaal Dornick was turned into a young black woman only due to the need of "reaching a quota" or such - a genuine plague of our times.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 10/5/2021 11:56:23 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3799
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/6/2021 8:00:35 AM   
lenna0428

Squid game!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3800
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/8/2021 6:33:25 PM   
warspite1

Cosmonauts: How Russia Won The Space Race Another excellent BBC4 production. This was a superb look at the Space Race from the Soviet side. Having recently watched the excellent series on the American space program, this was an excellent accompaniment. Thoroughly recommended.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/8/2021 6:35:36 PM >

(in reply to lenna0428)
Post #: 3801
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2021 3:19:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Hot on the heels of Vigil the latest BBC offering on a Sunday night is Ridley Road. First episode started well. The story is based on true events and the rise of anti-semitism in the UK in the early 60’s (although I don't think this was in any way shape or form ever widespread outside a few neanderthals). So far so okay, with an excellent cast including the always watchable Greg Kinnear. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

warspite1

Mmmmmm.... this is proving a bit of a disappointment. Some of the script lines are a bit naff and the story itself isn't really holding up. Oh well, the BBC has produced some real winners recently - I guess they can't all be good.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3802
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2021 4:11:16 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

quote:

Started watching Mare of Easttown (Sky Atlantic). Early days but this could be a very nice little series based on the opening episode. Lots going on which should lead to a number of storylines, well acted and suitably small town America bleak.

warspite1

The series ended last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it - with some nice twists along the way. Sadly it looks like there won't be a second series - which is a shame.

I binge watched it. The performances are great and the plot intriguing. The problem I had is that it is the classic “Young woman is killed in a small community and

[Channels Gary Oldman in The Professional]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYONE!
[/Channels Gary Oldman in The Professional]

…Has an unbelievably dirty secret or such. Yes, even dogs and sparrows. “The Killing” (the original Danish show, not the American remake, for the love of God) already did it - and much better - in 2007.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3803
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2021 8:03:46 AM   
loki100

Just struggled through the second series of Fort Salem partly on the grounds that the trailers etc looked interesting. Best I can say for it is watch the trailers, that covers everything that actually happened (one of those 'why am I watching this, I assume it improves later' moments)

Have started watching the Korean Zombies of the Middle Ages series (Kingdom).

Now that is excellent 'B-movie' stuff, no real pretence of depth, plot or character as we jolly along from one scene to the next. But a nice level of menace even if the Zombie King - in this case a king who is a zombie - is little bit far fetched

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3804
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2021 9:12:33 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Just struggled through the second series of Fort Salem partly on the grounds that the trailers etc looked interesting. Best I can say for it is watch the trailers, that covers everything that actually happened (one of those 'why am I watching this, I assume it improves later' moments)

Have started watching the Korean Zombies of the Middle Ages series (Kingdom).

Now that is excellent 'B-movie' stuff, no real pretence of depth, plot or character as we jolly along from one scene to the next. But a nice level of menace even if the Zombie King - in this case a king who is a zombie - is little bit far fetched

One of the best parts in Max Brooks' "The Zombie Survival Guide" was the last chapter, about "Recorded zombie attacks throughout history". I always found fascinating the idea of zombie outbreaks in ancient times, or the middle ages - as opposed to the umpteenth zombie outbreak in modern times". Pity that the idea hadn't been explored more.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3805
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2021 10:44:25 AM   
loki100

thats part of why the series is such ridiculous fun. Some of it is the standard building blocks but the time period/place and what passes for a story make it a bit different to the usual 'zombies take over a chain store somewhere in America' stuff.

Oh and the hats, the hats are magnificent. My wife sometimes works with textiles and has some experience of milinery and she loves it - don't think she's that fussed over the zombies but the hats more than compensate

Heres a picture of some random hats (& bad acting):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3806
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2021 12:22:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

warspite1

A few weeks ago I started to watch this. Five minutes in and I ralised I couldn't remember who the characters were and what even happened in Series 1.... and I wasn't that fussed about finding out. I may go back to this but doubt it given that 'recommendation'.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3807
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2021 12:28:41 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Watched "No Time to Die" at theaters.

Watched latest Dave Chappelle.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3808
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/14/2021 4:58:26 PM   
RFalvo69

I made the mistake of watching the fourth episode of "Foundation" - and I paid the price for it. It is so bad, it is indefensible. I think it is clear, by now, that they never intended to adapt Asimov's books (Salvor Hardin with mental powers???) but they also didn't want to lose the appeal of the franchise.

I would have had more respect had they decided to do their own thing (which, make no mistake, would still have been a "terrible their own thing"). Today, however, it seems that we have to deal with a "new, contemporary, relevant" batch of creatives that have no faith in their ability to create an original universe the way people from Lovecraft, to Asimov, to Lucas did in different ways and in different media. And, at least in this lack of faith in their own abilities, they are totally right.

Post #: 3809
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/14/2021 8:06:37 PM   
warspite1

Just watched two series:

The Boleyn's: A scandalous Family (BBC2)

An excellent three part series that focuses not just on Anne and Henry VIII, but tells the story of the family's rise to power - and downfall - concentrating mainly on Anne's father and uncle and to a lesser extent her sister Mary. Thoroughly recommended.

Guilt - Series 2 (BBC iplayer)

Following on from the surprise hit of 2019, this follow up maintains a similar theme - lots of characters whose stories become intertwinned as the series goes on. Excellent cast and fine story telling, only marginally not as good as series 1.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3810
Page:   <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI