Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario 1 Woes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Red Tide >> Scenario 1 Woes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 5:37:17 PM   
DannyJim_slith

Hi All

I can't get anything to happen in Sce 1. I've tried the revised scenario and am patched up to and including the hot patch.

I get a couple of biologicals, which I watch with P3 and Bedford but I have timed out 5 times now.

Any advice?
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 6:02:49 PM   
CV60

quote:

ORIGINAL: DannyJim_slith

Hi All

I can't get anything to happen in Sce 1. I've tried the revised scenario and am patched up to and including the hot patch.

I get a couple of biologicals, which I watch with P3 and Bedford but I have timed out 5 times now.

Any advice?

I'm not claiming I have the answer to your problems. However, I did an AAR, with screenshots of Scenario 1, and it is located here: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=25950.0 Possibly it might help you identify some ideas of how to play the scenario? I'm guessing that possibly you are having the P-3 simply search the entire TTW zone, instead of narrowing the search area down to the zone near where the periscope is sighted.?

< Message edited by CV60 -- 10/27/2021 6:03:51 PM >

(in reply to DannyJim_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 6:44:53 PM   
DannyJim_slith

Thankyou

I'll have a look and grab some tips

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 6:57:17 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I think one of the outstanding issues is that the periscope sighting message doesn't place a reference point upon triggering (unlike the first sighting message). You are given Map coordinates, but the problem is that the Latitude/Longitude layer doesn't draw the Latitude numbers that far north, so you can't eyeball it using that.

I made a rough guess with Google Maps, but this needs to be ensured to work.

Also, if I remember correctly, the first time I had the Soviet aircraft attack, I had made at least one direct pass over the sub with Bedford, whereas in the attempts where I didn't do that, the Soviet aircraft did not attack.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 10/27/2021 7:00:46 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 7:05:26 PM   
DannyJim_slith

Thank you

To sum up from the AAR and HLE:

I need to pass directly over the sub and/or initiate hostilities.

Was playing too nice

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 7:08:13 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Ah so that's it.

Perhaps the briefing/orders need to clarify that 'aggressively pursuing' involves passing over the target submarine with Active sonar pinging.

This would help ensure the story moves along correctly.

Post #: 6
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 7:36:06 PM   
DannyJim_slith

Yes - Just did exactly that.

Soviets went hostile and the campaign rolls on.

Thankyou both

Post #: 7
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 8:00:34 PM   
Eggstor

What worked for me (using the original version) was overflying one of the AGIs after identifying the SSB as such (I hadn't yet ID'd it as a Golf). The AGI fired upon the P-3, damaging the VHF radio and satisfying the "requirement" that the Soviets fire first.

Post #: 8
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 8:21:07 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Wow, that's a really stupid AGI crew, attacking a P-3 in peacetime...

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 9:13:23 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

I think one of the outstanding issues is that the periscope sighting message doesn't place a reference point upon triggering (unlike the first sighting message). You are given Map coordinates, but the problem is that the Latitude/Longitude layer doesn't draw the Latitude numbers that far north, so you can't eyeball it using that.

Also, if I remember correctly, the first time I had the Soviet aircraft attack, I had made at least one direct pass over the sub with Bedford, whereas in the attempts where I didn't do that, the Soviet aircraft did not attack.

I found the easiest way to make my own periscope marker was to guess at the location to create a reference point, then drag the reference point, watching the info block of the cursor which will show Lat/Long as you drag. Fairly easy to get it to the right spot that way and pretty quick. You're right. There aren't enough labels in the area to do it by eye.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

Post #: 10
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/27/2021 9:34:39 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

quote:

I found the easiest way to make my own periscope marker was to guess at the location to create a reference point, then drag the reference point, watching the info block of the cursor which will show Lat/Long as you drag. Fairly easy to get it to the right spot that way and pretty quick. You're right. There aren't enough labels in the area to do it by eye.

Dave

WOW!!!! That's ingenious!! Thanks for the tip Dave!

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/28/2021 12:49:00 AM   
Kushan04

quote:

The periscope sighting message RP not appearing was fixed in todays patch.

Post #: 12
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/28/2021 2:22:33 AM   
Eggstor

quote:

Wow, that's a really stupid AGI crew, attacking a P-3 in peacetime...

Given the other ways the Soviets could have shown their suddenly-hostile intent - having a surface asset observed/identified within the very-short bombing range of the Fitters at Greem Helm, having the tender try to shoot its way out of its trap with one of my surface assets (a double-sided dumb move if it would have been the Penguin-armed Narvik), or stumbling my way into the Golf's torpedo range - and how inattentive I was in investigating what turned out to be the northern AGI, I got lucky.

The Soviets didn't get as lucky that I had armed the ASW-only P-3 for anti-surface action, as I think that was the one on patrol at the time. They lost the hostile AGI and the tender to it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Kushan04

The periscope sighting message RP not appearing was fixed in todays patch.

Hate to bring up another missing action, but the scenario-ending message "congratulating" me for kicking off WWIII doesn't fire, though it presumably should fire as part of the scenario-ending "NATO Victory" trigger.

< Message edited by Eggstor -- 10/28/2021 2:26:37 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/28/2021 5:48:13 PM   
BobTank63

Adding my two cents after playing this scenario for the first time after the update. I found the sub and banged away on the active sonar right on top of it with both ships and nothing happened. I tried the scenario twice and the intended Fitter strike never showed. I even made multiple min attitude passes with the P-3s over both the AGI and the tender to no effect. Seems like it could still use some reworking.

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/29/2021 11:05:44 AM   
jarraya

Definitely an issue with the orders. How do you get a submarine to surface in Command?

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/29/2021 11:40:46 AM   
ultradave

Well, I passed on the 3rd try, but probably not the way intended. Seems I started the war without any penalty. Found the sub, pinging away with active sonar, along comes one of my P-3s drops a sonobuoy right on top of it, circles around and torpedoes the sub. Minor variation on the movie :-) (probably I should have gone over my ROE settings better)

Nothing bad happened so I figured it's open season now, and sent a Harpoon armed P-3 after the Novosibirsk, hitting it with 2 Harpoons and sinking it. Ding. Scenario ended with a victory.

On to the Med to see how I can bollocks up that theatre.

Dave

< Message edited by ultradave -- 10/29/2021 11:41:18 AM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/29/2021 2:46:02 PM   
CommandPB

quote:

Well, I passed on the 3rd try, but probably not the way intended. Seems I started the war without any penalty. Found the sub, pinging away with active sonar, along comes one of my P-3s drops a sonobuoy right on top of it, circles around and torpedoes the sub. Minor variation on the movie :-) (probably I should have gone over my ROE settings better)

Nothing bad happened so I figured it's open season now, and sent a Harpoon armed P-3 after the Novosibirsk, hitting it with 2 Harpoons and sinking it. Ding. Scenario ended with a victory.

Dave

Ah the good old British saying "Bollocks"
As heard at "Rorkes Drift" when a Company of Welsh Troops engaged 4000 Zulus and won !

< Message edited by CommandPB -- 10/29/2021 2:48:24 PM >

The Stig

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
German Field Marshal (1800-1891)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 10/29/2021 3:39:45 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: CommandPB

quote:

Dave

Ah the good old British saying "Bollocks"
As heard at "Rorkes Drift" when a Company of Welsh Troops engaged 4000 Zulus and won !

I lived there for a number of years and some of the more useful expressions tend to stick.:-) Loved living there, btw. It was a great experience. Great hiking, the pub culture, nice people, beautiful country. We lived in the northwest, just on the south edge of the Lakes District National Park - just beautiful.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to CommandPB)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/2/2021 5:38:10 AM   
BobTank63

I tried this scenario myself (the new version). Crossed over the Golf with both my ships while active was turned on and nothing happened. Tried overflying the AGIs and the tender with my P-3s after detecting the sub and nothing happened. Two playthroughs and no hostile action was taken by the Soviets. I had the radars turned on for my ships, so they knew I was there. However, the supposed Fitter strike never came.

This scenario could probably use another fix.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/2/2021 11:15:33 AM   
AndrewJ

Bob, could you share a save or a screenshot showing where the Golf was towards the end of the game?

There is an event for the Soviet Union to go hostile if the Golf is detected while it is in a specific zone around the island, which worked when I played it.

However, if the sub maybe stayed outside the zone, because of the pathfinding issues some players have been reporting, then this would not happen. So I was wondering where the sub actually was?

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/3/2021 3:09:44 AM   
BobTank63

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Bob, could you share a save or a screenshot showing where the Golf was towards the end of the game?

There is an event for the Soviet Union to go hostile if the Golf is detected while it is in a specific zone around the island, which worked when I played it.

However, if the sub maybe stayed outside the zone, because of the pathfinding issues some players have been reporting, then this would not happen. So I was wondering where the sub actually was?

Alright, I ran it again and the scenario worked fine. I detected the sub closer to the TTW this time and I got the message saying "shoot it if fired upon". Two Fitters then perform an attack run on the Bedford and I then splash the Fitters, sink the sub, and blow up the tender with Harpoons from a P-3.

The only issue I saw is that I think the Fitters are operating at extreme range as they turned back right before attacking. I went back to a previous save, slowed down the Bedford, and the Fitters performed the attack.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/5/2021 11:18:15 PM   
RFalvo69

I played the scenario three times today. I got the "periscope" marker all three times, so I narrowed the P3s search around it, with the ships pinging away (Operation: GOLF STOP). Every time I made the area around the periscope sighting a bit bigger. On the third attempt I even wondered if the periscope report was a kind of false sighting.Nothing. No Fitter strike, no Golf, Zero (0) points every time (even when I torpedoed a biological, cough...)

I guess that this scenario needs more work - the Russians simply never activated.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/6/2021 12:01:01 AM   
ultradave

I had better success controlling the P-3(s) manually, including when to drop sonobuoys, with a hefty helping of active ones. I found I pretty much had to drop a sonobuoy right on top of it to find it. Hope that helps without giving away anything.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 11/23/2021 9:20:57 AM   
ljdramone

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The Soviets go hostile if and only if the Golf is detected inside Norwegian territorial waters (the TTW zone) around Svalbard.
If you send Bedford to the periscope datum at flank and detect the sub quickly, it'll be outside the zone.

I tracked the sub until it was inside the zone, then dropped and reacquired the contact.
Once the Soviet side is hostile, a low P-3 pass over the sub tender will draw fire and give Captain Finlander* the excuse he needs to attack the Golf and start WW3.

* Commanding officer in the 1965 movie "The Bedford Incident".

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenario 1 Woes - 12/18/2021 4:27:03 AM   
Darren_H_slith

My Orion flew over the Golf. It was not classified as hostile, just Goblin. It launched a torpedo and attacked anyhow.

(in reply to ljdramone)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Red Tide >> Scenario 1 Woes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI