Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's - 10/30/2021 6:45:48 PM   
fatgreta1066

As always I'm not sure how well I'll explain this question. I've got a bunch of ASW patrols set up at the start of the Okinawa Bound scenario surrounding my ambphibious invation fleet (circled in red). I've got the RP's for those missions fixed to the Ambphibs, hoping that they will remain in relative place to the amphibs as they sail south east. That is the first picture. I've highlighted in yellow one vessel and the specific mission it is assigned to. I would have assumed that as the amphib groups sailed and the mission area moved with them, the vessels assigned to the mission would stay in the mission area. As you can see in picture 2, that did not happen. I'm curious about why, and is there some way that I can create the missions or order the vessels to stay inside the parameters outlined? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Attachment (2)
Post #: 1
RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's - 10/30/2021 7:33:28 PM   
Randomizer

Do your patrol missions have any of the "outside patrol zone" boxes ticked? Checking any of these pretty much guarantee that units assigned will take random walks and leave their stations.

Fixed ASW patrols can be problematic since the orientation of the zone is constant but the direction of the ASW threat will usually vary based on your base course (or Path of Intended Movement - PIM) or the sub threat. In fact there are a number of factors that determine the threat axis for submarines and these, coupled with the nature of the threat, missiles or torpedoes or both, may be used to determine the nature of your defensive formations to defend your high-value units (HVU).

Fixed ref points are great for AAW ships, you place a fixed zone up-threat from the HVU and they will stay there regardless of the PIM.

Convoy Protection Under Multi-Threat Scenario

It's complex and most references are guidelines rather than hard rules but have fun anyway.

-C

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 2
RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's - 10/30/2021 10:29:40 PM   
cscrutinizer

Thanks for the attached thesis. Very interesting.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's - 10/30/2021 10:36:00 PM   
thewood1

Also, it would be helpful for anyone trying to help to have the scenario at the point you've configured it. There are so many switches on the units, groups, and missions that is guess only at what could be going on.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to cscrutinizer)
Post #: 4
RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's - 10/31/2021 12:02:11 PM   
fatgreta1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Do your patrol missions have any of the "outside patrol zone" boxes ticked? Checking any of these pretty much guarantee that units assigned will take random walks and leave their stations.

Fixed ASW patrols can be problematic since the orientation of the zone is constant but the direction of the ASW threat will usually vary based on your base course (or Path of Intended Movement - PIM) or the sub threat. In fact there are a number of factors that determine the threat axis for submarines and these, coupled with the nature of the threat, missiles or torpedoes or both, may be used to determine the nature of your defensive formations to defend your high-value units (HVU).

Fixed ref points are great for AAW ships, you place a fixed zone up-threat from the HVU and they will stay there regardless of the PIM.

Convoy Protection Under Multi-Threat Scenario

It's complex and most references are guidelines rather than hard rules but have fun anyway.

-C

That could well be it, I'll change those settings and see, thanks for the advice.

Chris

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI