Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

“World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe is about to begin.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe is about to begin. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
“World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategic Co... - 11/12/2021 12:37:53 PM   
Edmon

“World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe is about to begin.

You’ll be enjoying three different scenarios, each one will cover one round and it will last six weeks:

1939 Storm Over Europe
The campaign begins on the 1st of September 1939 with Germany waging war against Poland. Bigger battles against stronger opponents will soon follow. Take control on the opening days of the war and fight the whole campaign to its conclusion.

1942 Case Blue
The Soviet Union has been weakened, but not defeated, during its first year at war. Can the Axis win a victory in the east before the USA becomes a major factor in the war?

1944 D-Day to Berlin
The war is now progressing in favor of the Allies and the time has come to defeat the Reich. On to Berlin!

In all three scenarios, you will play mirrored games from both the perspective of the Allies and the Axis. Your success in the tournament will be determined not just by how well you play from a strong position, but equally by how well you defend a losing one. With Slitherine’s tournament system matching you against players of similar ability, and a revised scoring system now in place for the Strategic Command games there will always be something to play for.

If you’re not familiar with Slitherine’s PBEM system, here’s how it works: the system will pair you with opponents and create your PBEM games for you automatically. You will be notified by mail of when the tournament is starting and when it is time to play your turns. The tournament follows the Swiss Tournament rules.

The tournament will start on November 22nd, sign up to test your skills and climb the leaderboard! All you need to do is own the game and opt-in here.

< Message edited by Edmon -- 11/12/2021 12:38:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 12:43:54 PM   
AshFall

Sign me up! :)

This looks like a lot of fun, playing different starting positions. Great idea!

With the recent changes to the Case Blue scenario that is going to be much harder for the axis.

< Message edited by AshFall -- 11/12/2021 12:45:43 PM >

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 2
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 3:46:12 PM   
AshFall

This is my first tournament, so have a couple of questions if that's ok? If this isnt the thread for them, let me know!

Do I understand correctly that there are three "rounds" total in the tournament, one round per scenario and we play one opponent each round including swapping sides (a total of six games over the tourney)?

How are victories measured and "points" given out for comparison in the swiss system? :)

Edit: Also, is each "Round" six weeks (i.e. you need to complete both games against the same opponent over that period in one of the scenarios) or is the entire tournament six weeks?

< Message edited by AshFall -- 11/12/2021 3:59:04 PM >

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 3
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 6:36:07 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi AshFall,

Yes each round is 6 weeks, so 18 weeks in total for all 3 rounds. You will indeed only have 6 weeks to play both mirrored games per round, so 2 games in six weeks is correct.

The point system is going to be a bit different from the last time around.

1) Victory Conditions - Map situation is in effect right from the get go, e.g. current victory conditions are weighed into the score, and of course victory conditions change from the start of the campaign to the finish.

CAMPAIGN SCORING (VICTORY CONDITIONS)
100 DECISIVE
80 MAJOR
70 MINOR
60 TACTICAL
50 STALEMATE

2) Kills Ratio - The strength point losses in MPPs you inflict on your opponent relative to the strength point losses in MPPs he inflicts upon you.

3) National Morale Ratio - National Morale of all your major nations on your side, including those that have surrendered (those that have surrendered will have 0 NM applied to the formula) relative to 100% will factor in to the score

4) MPP Growth - Current total MPPs relative to your at start home MPPs for all major nations on your side will factor into the score as well, e.g. if you are expanding and your opponent is contracting, you are doing better with this factor than he will be etc.

The major portion is the current victory conditions, e.g. item 1), while items 2) to 4) will push that score a bit higher or lower depending on how you are doing.

Scores are relative to 100 points, and if you are in a DECISIVE VICTORY position which equals 100 Victory points, then you can certainly push higher than 100 points if you are also doing very well in the other categories, or push a bit lower if you did not do so well and paid a heavy toll to get there. Doing well also generally means your score is pushed higher while your opponents score is pushed lower, and vice versa.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 4
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 6:37:17 PM   
Hubert Cater

Tournament also starts with the 1944 campaign, then the 1942, then the 1939 campaign as the last round.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 7:41:44 PM   
Taxman66

Given the scenarios chosen, and specifically the number turns involved in said scenarios before they reach conclusion, I have a suggestion:

Reduce the time for the 1944 scenario to 5 or even 4 weeks, and increase the time for the 1939 scenario by a like amount.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

Post #: 6
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/12/2021 8:58:52 PM   
Hubert Cater

Makes sense, unfortunately I don't believe we have that kind of control on round lengths with the tournament server, but I'll look into it to see if that might be possible.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 7
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/13/2021 7:07:07 AM   
Duedman

Awesome stuff.
Edmons "Power 3" haha

Post #: 8
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/14/2021 7:19:20 AM   
El_Condoro

Can someone throw more light on this, please? I am interested as someone who lives in Australia (GMT +10) and whether I will be penalised if the tournament server uses a (very) different time zone. I can normally get 2+ turns in per day but am wondering if that will be enough for the tournament.

Make sure you know how long each round lasts as this will determine how much time you have to play. It's a bit like a chess clock and you're allocated an amount of time. While it is your turn your time counts down. While it is your opponents turn their time counts down. If you run out of time you will receive a score penalty. Players who are inactive will be removed from the draw so as not to spoil future rounds for other players. The timer is required to keep the tournament on track and ensure all games are completed by the time the next round is due to start.

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 9
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/14/2021 7:56:19 AM   
Duedman

Good question. Also I and probably many others wont be able to play for like a week around Christmas. Will there be a holiday break or something like that?

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 10
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/14/2021 1:18:27 PM   
Taxman66

Also remember you have to play simultaneous mirror games. So think does your 2 turns/day mean 1 turn/day per game; or would you be capable of doing a total of 4/day?

Different time zone just means that the Tournament start day/time and end day/time will be different.

I think the timing issue is keeping track of the time the game is waiting on your turn. If you play every day it shouldn't be an issue. It is there to keep players whom are loosing from stalling out a game.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 11
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/14/2021 6:48:14 PM   
El_Condoro

I think I will be OK with that. By the time the tournament starts RL workload should have settled down a bit. Duedman's question about a Christmas hiatus is a good one, though.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 12
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/15/2021 6:30:04 PM   
Hubert Cater

I don't believe there will be a Christmas hiatus considered into how the server processes turns and the speed of turns being played and submitted, but I will see what I can find out.

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 13
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/15/2021 6:43:32 PM   
AshFall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duedman

Good question. Also I and probably many others wont be able to play for like a week around Christmas. Will there be a holiday break or something like that?

Considering that the first scenario is the shorter 44' scenario the six weeks alotted should be enough to give everyone a week or two off from playing, depending. The first round last until new years after all :).

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 14
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/16/2021 5:04:59 PM   
Duedman

Ah yes you are right. With a round time of 42 days the second round will only start after Christmas and the shorter first round should be finished by then.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 15
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 1:33:04 PM   
AshFall

Edit: Nevermind! I failed to notice the "tournament" tab! XD All good!

Hm, I got a "challenge has started" notification in my email, but I cant see any ongoing in the PBEM game list or "my challenges". How do you go about matching and setting up/seeing games?

< Message edited by AshFall -- 11/22/2021 1:36:57 PM >

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 16
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 1:33:59 PM   
Kuebelwagen

There is a new button on the down right side which calls "Tournament". There you will have access to the tournament games

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 17
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 1:36:03 PM   
Kuebelwagen

If if want to start my move i receive an error message: CRC32-Measures don't match 1944 D-Day to Berlin.cgn

Anyone knows what to do? It is a clean reinstall with 1.23.00

(in reply to Kuebelwagen)
Post #: 18
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 1:44:32 PM   
EpiScope42

File Mismatch. ame happened here, I am on STEAM SC WW2 WiE updated to a new version and now unable to play the tournament game.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 19
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 1:46:58 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks for the report, sorry about the trouble and we'll try and quickly sort this out.

(in reply to EpiScope42)
Post #: 20
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 2:55:34 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: EpiScope42

File Mismatch. ame happened here, I am on STEAM SC WW2 WiE updated to a new version and now unable to play the tournament game.

Episcop42,

Could you send me an email to support@furysoftware.com at your convenience?

Thanks,
Hubert

(in reply to EpiScope42)
Post #: 21
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 3:42:07 PM   
Will952

Same error here. Have pinged you an email Hubert

Post #: 22
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 4:06:20 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks Will

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 23
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 4:31:36 PM   
Szenser

I get this message too
"CRC32-Measures don't match 1944 D-Day to Berlin.cgn"

Post #: 24
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 4:53:53 PM   
Duedman

There was an update just today. Maybe its Steam vs NonSteam games again?

(in reply to Szenser)
Post #: 25
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 4:55:52 PM   
EpiScope42

File Error w/Steam. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall with Steam and still receive the file error.

I went back to Matrix and reinstalled the initial release v1.00 and then the v1.23 update and was able to PBEM without a file error.

However, my version through STEAM would not work.

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 26
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/22/2021 5:20:41 PM   
manickennel

Hello everyone,

A thousand apologies, but something got broken when we made the 1.23.00 Matrix patch and it's causing issues when trying to play the tournament. We know what the problem is and will have a fix out by Tuesday.

Really sorry about this - not quite the triumphant return of SC tournaments we were aiming for.

Producer of Strategic Command, Commander, Field of Glory and a few other things besides.

(in reply to EpiScope42)
Post #: 27
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/23/2021 3:47:53 PM   
manickennel

Thank you for your patience. The patch has now been updated anyone playing the Matrix version should update in order to continue. They game's launcher should allow you to do so, but you can always download directly here as well.

No turns that have been played so far should be lost, so please let us know if anything doesn't look right.

Sorry about that, hope it won't spoil your enjoyment of the tournament too much.

Producer of Strategic Command, Commander, Field of Glory and a few other things besides.

(in reply to manickennel)
Post #: 28
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/23/2021 11:31:24 PM   
MPHopcroft1

I am ready to play, and I am tryng to figure out how to reach my first opponent.It's been a while since I've used the forums here, and I'm not sure about private messaging.

Also, do Steam-based users need to wqrry about the patch?

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to manickennel)
Post #: 29
RE: “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategi... - 11/24/2021 1:13:33 AM   
Hubert Cater

Hi MPHopcroft1,

No need to apply or worry about this Matrix patch on Steam, it was a Matrix issue only and now resolved for them.

Once you play your first turn you can send a message to your opponent in game via the top right panel 'Send Message' option, and/or when in the Tournament screen you will see your opponent's user name listed. From that bit of info you can send your opponent a private message through these forums using the 'Inbox' found in the upper right hand corner here.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> “World Divided” a brand new tournament for Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe is about to begin. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI