Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kingdom Creation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Kingdom Creation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kingdom Creation - 10/22/2021 7:14:44 PM   
RichWall

Would it be possible to set up a way to select specific minor territories for Kingdom creation. Perhaps a check the box menu?

Thanks much,

Rich
Post #: 1
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/23/2021 12:25:41 AM   
pzgndr

In theory, yes it should be possible and I'll add this to my task list. Whether I can get it to work or not is another issue. Since I added the ability to add new minors to a created Kingdom, if nothing else I should be able to expand that to remove selected minors from a created Kingdom.

A burning question. Why would a player not want to maximize a Kingdom with all eligible controlled minors? I'm curious. I don't recall this being a complaint or feature request over the many years I've been monitoring all of the many gripes folks have had.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to RichWall)
Post #: 2
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/23/2021 5:46:23 AM   
RichWall

Hello pzgndr,

Thank you much for your reply and steadfastness with EiA.

There comes a point in the middle-late game when Poland and the Confederation produce a great deal more Strength Points than the nations counters can handle when those new nations are maxed out territorial wise when created.

I could create them when I have fewer territories, but to be able to be specific on their creation would be a nice bonus if it does not require too much work.

I was unaware of your new feature to add territories after creation. I need to look at that.

Usually I do wait to have all the available territories to create the kingdoms, but then to be able to tailor their creation, one could full control over the Kingdom's production output.

It sounds like you have been able to remedy the majority of the request already. Nice.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/23/2021 6:03:55 AM   
RichWall

One extra note on the above. I am not looking to reduce the Kingdoms once created, just to be able choose which territories are included.

But I can see you have the issue 95 % handled already and even better to add as you go making kingdom creation useful much earlier in the game.

(in reply to RichWall)
Post #: 4
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/23/2021 3:36:39 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

There comes a point in the middle-late game when Poland and the Confederation produce a great deal more Strength Points than the nations counters can handle when those new nations are maxed out territorial wise when created.

I'm not sure I understand the problem here? The Kingdom retains all of the minor nations' counters and strength limits, so it shouldn't make much difference if a particular minor is part of the Kingdom or not. If anything, a player has much more flexibility to gain money and manpower through the Kingdom and then max out whichever counters he wants.

I'll keep this under consideration. But you note the change to be able to add provinces to Kingdoms now, which was a major complaint before. So players can be somewhat selective at taking control of just those minors that they want for creating a Kingdom and then go get the "other" minors and not add them to the Kingdom. Same effect. If you want to do that. Personally I don't see the point but perhaps there's a compelling reason if you want to use a particular minor as a bargaining chip. I think you can still cede a Kingdom province without breaking the Kingdom as long as you still have enough provinces to meet the requirement. If this is the idea and ceding does not work, I could take a look at making that possible too.

Bill

(in reply to RichWall)
Post #: 5
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/24/2021 12:16:15 AM   
RichWall

I now see the expanded counter mix in the Alt scenarios. I have to agree. Your improvements already address these.

Thanks much.

Since I am a bonafide pensioner now I hope to spend more time on EiA. It has been one of the everlasting favorites.

Getting caught up with other post on the board here is now a priority.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 6
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/24/2021 1:18:46 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I now see the expanded counter mix in the Alt scenarios. I have to agree. Your improvements already address these.

Thanks. I hope more players take some time to review what I have done. Creating separate classic EIA and alternate EIH scenarios with their different force pools, minor country influences, and such took a lot of time and effort. Except for the EIH map in the game, which really isn't that much different than the EIA map except for several provinces, players can now enjoy whichever version they prefer. There were so many complaints about this 10-15 years ago. Now it's better.

Bill

(in reply to RichWall)
Post #: 7
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/28/2021 2:53:03 PM   
seydlitz22513

I'm sure there is a fair amount of people here on the Matrix forums like the look of this game, but are unsure of either buying the game or have the game already but are unsure how to play it correctly, if there were maybe a video lets play available created by someone who knows what the game is about and better still knows what they were doing, it would be a great help for potential new players or players who own the game but have not got a clue what's happening!

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: Kingdom Creation - 10/28/2021 8:20:46 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz22513
I'm sure there is a fair amount of people here on the Matrix forums like the look of this game, but are unsure of either buying the game or have the game already but are unsure how to play it correctly, if there were maybe a video lets play available created by someone who knows what the game is about and better still knows what they were doing, it would be a great help for potential new players or players who own the game but have not got a clue what's happening!

I have moved your comments to the Suggestions for new players thread pinned above. There I have attached a copy of the game manual for folks to look at and I responded to your comments.

Personally, when I got into this game after it was first released by Matrix, it was with no experience with the boardgame and there was no tutorial. From my boardgame playing starting back in the 1970s, the Old School method was to read the manual (RTM!) and start playing. And that's how all of the veteran EIA players learned how to play back in the day. Self-study is the greatest help that a player can give himself.

Bill

(in reply to seydlitz22513)
Post #: 9
RE: Kingdom Creation - 11/16/2021 2:08:51 PM   
RichWall

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ee/60/6d/ee606d8b79dda870ca004721d18f634d.jpg

https://external-preview.redd.it/hfIYo_CNIzWud1gUdL0bSDHHI3EVyt_yN923sMyc3FQ.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=7a0b958d7e57c5f4831c39dc436919f5db869c3e

One last question on Kingdoms. Europe maps of 1810 and 1812 show the Kingdom of Italy consisting of the territories of Venice, Lombardy, Romagna and Modena.

If The Kingdom of Italy could formed in lieu of the current Free States of Venice, Lombardy and Piedmont, it would allow for a more streamlined production effort and make the "Italians" less devastated by supply/forage/attrition losses.

Just a thought. I know this would be low on the priority list but wanted to throw the idea out to see if this might be of interest.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 10
RE: Kingdom Creation - 11/16/2021 8:00:09 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichWall
If The Kingdom of Italy could formed...

I know. Unfortunately, I lack the ability to edit the map and database to allow the other Kingdoms to be created. Whatever Marshall Ellis used way back when to make the map and original database, I don't have it. In fact, my edits of the database to create the separate Classic EIA and Alternate EIH scenarios were all done by brute force using a hex editor. Ideally, it would be nice to have separate EIA and EIH maps, with each minor country and province properly coded for all Kingdoms and all Kingdoms defined in the database. Alas, I cannot do that. I wish I could.

Bill

(in reply to RichWall)
Post #: 11
RE: Kingdom Creation - 11/23/2021 1:15:14 PM   
Daniel Amieiro

Well..

In my EIA mod i could edit the kingdom of Italy without problem. I can edit that .tpj and .ged if needed.

I could fix these if you want.

Same i did for Swedem and Two siciles. But the cost here is that Findland and Sicily must been separated (so no Sweden-Findland and no Sicily-Naples) from start, they are taken one by one. Engine does badly when a minor is owned by other minor (like finland from Sweden at start).

On the other hand about kindomgs.

For a non-corp territory, it's a valid option have it conquered. Minors has a lot of manpower for their units. Far than their historic strength.
A big Poland is a waste, because their corps are filled fast with no gain.
Confederation of Rhine is a waste, because some minors could add to main nation.
Same for Ottoman Empire, which is vastly overmanpowered.

On the other hand, for future option, with kingdoms overlapping territories (like C. Rhine and Bavaria, some sweden options with Sweden-Norway-Finland-Sweden Pomerania vs Denmark-Norway) it should be a must.

The engine doesn't handle the kingdom superposition. So it's imposible to mimic the Kingdom of Westphalia, because it will not handle with C. of the Rhine (making previous will make impossible to make the latter in my tests).

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 12
RE: Kingdom Creation - 11/24/2021 8:55:49 AM   
RichWall

quote:

In my EIA mod i could edit the kingdom of Italy without problem. I can edit that .tpj and .ged if needed.

I very much like the changes made by pzgndr to be able to add territories to a created Kingdom because you may tailor the Kingdom by starting small and adding to a desired production size, especially if you choose the original game scenario option. But now with the ALT scenarios the Confederation and Poland have expanded force pools relieving the bottleneck production wise.

The only change I would make at this point is to be able to create a kingdom of Italy consisting of Venice, Lombardy, Romagna and Modena. Scratching up 4 or 6 production points from 3 or 4 free states can be tedious and having an force pool of 5 generic Italian counters would be more efficient. (If you have a difficult problem give it to a lazy man for he will find an easier way.)

If the kingdom of Italy can have any of the 4 territories of Venice, Lombardy, Romagna and Modena be added to this kingdom like Poland and the Confederation then the kingdom could be reconstituted if any of its constituents be lost to enemy action and then reconquered.

(in reply to Daniel Amieiro)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Kingdom Creation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI