Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What difficulty level against AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> What difficulty level against AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 5:02:11 PM   
okeefe

What do you guys pick for a good game? How much better would you say the AI is on slow movement, is it worth the wait?
Post #: 1
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 6:26:23 PM   
billios65

Worth the wait yes, it is not minutes we are talking about here, I always use AI slow and not noticed any delays exceeding 30 seconds and that was one extreme case.

(in reply to okeefe)
Post #: 2
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 6:54:28 PM   
Tempest5

quote:

ORIGINAL: billios65

Worth the wait yes, it is not minutes we are talking about here, I always use AI slow and not noticed any delays exceeding 30 seconds and that was one extreme case.

+1

(in reply to billios65)
Post #: 3
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 8:19:25 PM   
Stelteck

I use Normal Time / Challenging for the grand campaign and it seems quite good. Still the turn can take a long time in the grand campaign, but it is worth it as your turn take also a very long time.

(in reply to Tempest5)
Post #: 4
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 9:06:14 PM   
FelixCulpa

I use the Hard setting. The US AI seems to use Intercept Fire more often which I think is more realistic given the performance of US arty at the time.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 5
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/18/2021 9:15:31 PM   
Duck Doc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I use Normal Time / Challenging for the grand campaign and it seems quite good. Still the turn can take a long time in the grand campaign, but it is worth it as your turn take also a very long time.

Good advice and now my default settings. Still learning as I go.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 6
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/19/2021 7:24:40 AM   
Octavian

I use challenging and slow speed and was able to win major victories on all small scenarios on both sides playing them for the first time (!!), which made me think of the strength of the AI. And a minor victory in St. Vith medium scenario, too.
Biggest AI problem seems to me: the ai sometimes retreats units too eagerly, if you go past them, especially true for choke points, cities and the like.

I have to admit, that I am very well known with the DC-series´gameplay. But anyway, I would advice to use at least challenging ai setting, if you have understood the game to a certain degree.

< Message edited by Octavian -- 12/19/2021 7:46:23 AM >

(in reply to okeefe)
Post #: 7
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/19/2021 8:26:32 AM   
billios65

Good advice, I agree that AI is too quick to abandon strong positions, perhaps giving non-attacking side more static roadblock type units would help slow human attacker. I will certainly be adding static units to all supply dumps.

(in reply to Octavian)
Post #: 8
RE: What difficulty level against AI - 12/19/2021 3:42:26 PM   
Duck Doc

I am an experienced but not a fanatic DC player and I found the AI had holes and lapses in the small scenario set playing the German side and was able to get through each after at most a couple of attempts. Having said that I found Skyline Drive a challenge. I will play with higher difficulty from now on. I would not have been able to win any against a competent and determined human opponent, however. As the Germans, the challenge would be just too much. Maybe a rethink of victory conditions is in order. Like any good Zen player, I found the journey much more fun than the goal. Maybe a numerical scoring rather than an all-or-nothing victory could work. Having a lot of fun regardless and my respect for the DC series just keeps growing. Good job!

(in reply to billios65)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> What difficulty level against AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI