Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Landscape & Agriculture

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Landscape & Agriculture Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Landscape & Agriculture - 12/26/2021 12:24:30 AM   
mxmissile

Does landscape affect how much food an agriculture asset produces?

What about planet type, does that have an overall effect on food production?
Post #: 1
RE: Landscape & Agriculture - 12/26/2021 6:52:01 AM   
Maerchen

open sky agri assets slowly terraform the hexes in a two hex radius to agricultural fields, boosting the food output by 10% each. You need the appropriate water supply and temperature range, though.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

(in reply to mxmissile)
Post #: 2
RE: Landscape & Agriculture - 12/26/2021 9:12:52 AM   
zgrssd

Terrain: Yes and No.
Open Air Farms (earth or Xeno) get bonus from having farmland within 3 Hexes. But it is not a x2 multiplier for the 2nd piece. More like x1.1 for the 2nd.
They also slowly terraform terrain into farmland within 3 hexes. Afaik it looks at stuff like the Competition rating of local plants to decide how fast that goes.

Open Farming is generally a rare thing. It needs:
- plentyfull water
- atmosphere that is not (too) toxic
- soil that is not (too) toxic for earth life
- breathing hazard that is not too big
- biosphere that is not too toxic or too competitive
- the right temperatures

Xeno-Farming can overcome the temperature, but in turn it is subject to the "Alien Tissue Nutrition" value.

Even if you can use Open Earth or Xenofarming from the planet side, those factors might each result in dome farms being still more usefull.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 12/26/2021 9:14:02 AM >

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 3
RE: Landscape & Agriculture - 12/29/2021 8:42:43 AM   
mattpilot

the things you learn on the forums... i suppose if i read the manual i would be wiser too :-)

I just thought open farms were useless because of the winter cycle .. always to go for dome farming, until i realized late game that hydroponics double... twice .. with tech, so now i go for that. Plus reduced man power compared to others.

Are there any other advantages i should know about farming? i feel like i'm missing so much and i already got hundreds of hours in this game

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Landscape & Agriculture - 12/29/2021 12:47:47 PM   
zgrssd

All farms produce the same base food on each Tier.

Open Air Farms primary advantage is, that they do not need power. While 10 Power is not a lot in the grand scheme of things - a T1 Solar Panel Produces 100 - early game it maters. And the higher tiers need a lot of power.

Their second advantage is, that they get a bonus from Farmland. That means they can easily produce more food for the same workers. That could even be enough to offset you getting less food in the winter or summer months. But you may have to invest a little into storage.

A anciliary use is the farmland itself. Agricultural Land has the same movement cost as Ruins or other Plains. But infantry can entrech a lot better then in natural plains.

They can also be buffed by technology like "Cross Fertilisation".

Earth Open Air Farms need a lot of water. A whole Ice Mines worth of it even.
But on the right planets, water literally falls from the sky or you can get it for cheap from the nearest River. (see 5.5.3.2. free water InCome). The 1000-7200 Water need can be fullfilled for basically free - on the right planet!
They are also subject to temperature and other factors (see 5.5.2.1. envIronmental modIfIers; but 10-35°C is perfect, only below 0° or above 60° does it become outright impossible), but unless that is bad year round they should still have a decent - maybe superior - yield.

Xeno Open Air Farms need no water or power. They are (propably) better adapted to the temperature extreme. They receive no penalty from Atmosphere or Biohazard Levels. But in turn are subject to Alien Tissue Nutrition.

Dome Farms are reliable. They cost some energy and some water, but not a lot of either. But in turn they are utterly immune to planet effects. Temperatures of -0°C to +100°C do not mater for it. Atmosphere does not mater. Biohazard does not mater. It can not loose yield to looss of Farmland.

Hydroponics are the best. It is like a Dome Farm, just so much better yield. If you want to have few workers for a lot of food, there is no way around them. However they are rather high tech, so you need a serious industrial base and energy grid to run them, plus the tech to build them.
Prefer them if you have them. If you don't, use hte other 3.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 12/29/2021 12:51:03 PM >

(in reply to mattpilot)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Landscape & Agriculture Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI