Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Opening turn basics for Japan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> The War Room >> Opening turn basics for Japan Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 1:26:00 PM   
YueJin

I've been seeing a few people not up to speed on the most important parts of the Japanese first turn which is vital to having a decent remainder of the game. As such I wanted to write up a short demonstration of the key parts of the opening moves for Japan.

1) Strike Pearl Harbour twice with the carrier fleet. It may seem obvious but still worth mentioning. Average results for the strike are 2-3 battleships sunk, unlucky strikes have only 1 sunk and very fortunate ones may sink 4.

2) Naval strike the ships in Manilla with the bombers from Taiwan. You should sink the Houston every time and often bottom or sink the subs which can be very useful.

3)Naval strike the ships in Singapore. These include the BC Repulse and BB Prince of Wales which can be very useful to get off the map turn 1. On average one of those ships will sink and you may bottom or sink the other if lucky. Note that you can move the close support bomber group that is out of range to get one extra strike in.

4) Invade and destroy the garrison at Rabaul. It's both a victory point hex and a size 8 shipyard so capturing it is highly recommended.

5) Invade the Philippines, the method pictured is my personal favourite with divisions landing at Aparri and Legaspi whilst Lingayen and Manilla are blockaded. This ensures Philippines surrender on turn 3 with minimal forces and landing craft invested.

6)The most important part of turn 1 to do correctly. Land two divisions at Batavia and destroy the garrison there. The division that lands to the East of the city will have enough action points to occupy it. With Batavia being the only morale hex for the DEI they will surrender next turn giving you all their oil points completely undamaged.

7)Advance the army and division down towards Singapore, surrounding and destroying the Indian garrisons.

Position at the beginning of turn 2. Highlighted are the parts I haven't mentioned yet, blockades of Fiji and Nomea, invasion of Wake to remove the garrison there and invasion at Lae to grab the VP location early.

If the starting two allied carriers attempt to break the blockade of either Fiji or New Caledonia then the Japanese carriers intercept using an oiler. This leads to disaster for the Allies 100% of the time.

Position at the end of turn 4 in the Solomon island area. Nomea and Fiji both have fallen, all relevant size 3 ports are secured and the Moresby garrison will surrender next turn.

The lead this sequence of moves gives the Japanese player is gigantic. Once comfortable with this, you can also add in some extra moves such as invading Ceylon turn 3 if wanting to play safe or Bombay/Madras to try to make India collapse completely as you will have more than enough landing craft left to commit two full armies and four divisions. Remember, the Allied player has no transports or landing craft and cannot stop this in any way other than committing their four carriers to a terrible fight which is only likely to cement your dominance.

I've not really mentioned China as I feel like moves there are personal preference and should eventually lead to a stalemate in the North and the capture of Changsha in the South leading to a stalemate at the river lines behind it.

< Message edited by YueJin -- 5/31/2021 1:31:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 1:35:40 PM   
eskuche

Pretty close to what I wrote on my AAR (which you are free to read now).
I believe Batavia can be gambled with one SNLF but probably safest to use two.
My alternative on the Philippines is a smaller risk but goes down faster without so many ships required, freeing them for other uses.
I’d prefer to blockade Port Moresby early to prevent replacements, but you get Fiji earlier so maybe better there.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 2
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 2:03:08 PM   
YueJin

Yeah there's no new tech here for people with a good understanding of the game and I've used the 100% options when possible. I've just had four people on the Japanese side start without taking the DEI turn 1 or blockading the Phillipeans which doesn't exactly make for a very fun game when they're out of oil 10 turns in.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 3
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 2:06:53 PM   
Peek101

+1 great post. Do you think there would be any point in invading Samoa too, when going for the islands in the South Pacific?

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 4
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 2:09:54 PM   
eskuche

There's little reason not to take (or feint/bait) taking that cluster of 3 with single ship blockades if you can spare it. The quicker you can get a blockade up, the easier it will be to force the island.

Taking the Cooks/French Polynesia give you closer access to shipping, though.

(in reply to Peek101)
Post #: 5
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 2:13:04 PM   
YueJin

Blockade Samoa and Tonga after taking Fiji and New Caledonia to remove the garrisons from the board for sure but no, I don't think there's any point occupying them. They don't really help defend against the Allied counterattack in 1943 as air there won't have range to anywhere important. Putting air at Espirito Santo and Port Villa can be very useful though.

(in reply to Peek101)
Post #: 6
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 4:02:27 PM   
Stelteck

Terrific first turns !!! Thanks.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 7
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 4:26:11 PM   
eskuche

More stuff:
You have 160 transports. Use them. This includes shuttling stuff from home islands to wherever, transporting stuff out of China proper and Manchuguo into needed areas, such as for an India offensive or to prevent cutoffs in Burma/Haifeng areas. Tenshin paratroopers can either be shown to threaten an airdrop to force honest play in rear garrisons, especially near Lanchow (though bad weather effectiveness loss and lack of trucks initially can let the Allied player count when you actually CAN drop). They could possibly help break the Burma line too.

You have several small strength units that take up very few landing craft to conquer stuff. These are well used in northern Borneo and the Solomons.

A few comments for China:
Japan has 60 rail capacity which allows switchouts in Manchuguo. After my first game, it occurred to me 1) that you're losing a lot of efficiency due to weather in Northern China until early summer 1943 and 2) the northern Chinese ports can't supply everything past 10 hexes too well. May even want to consider wintering strong armies in Manchukuo until the bad weather passes, holding the line with divisions instead. China doesn't really matter until it matters in terms of production centers, and if you can't force Changsha early due to bad weather rolls it might be prudent to back up a bit and force overextension/threaten paradrop.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 8
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 4:47:49 PM   
incbob

Why take Wake Island?

Yes, you can destroy a USMC unit, but honestly it starts the game weak and has to be built up. This soaks up early turn US PPs. Also, even if you do destroy it the US can easily replace it by the time they get transports to move it.
As a size 1 port, Wake can't protect ships, can only supply 1 naval group, and can only supply 10 STR. That means if the USMC div does get built up then the island cannot supply an air group. If the island has an air group then it cannot supply the division. It is useless as a base for either the Americans or the Japanese. Don't bother.

India moves.
If you want to invade India forget Fiji. Move your Kido Butai immediately to the Indian Ocean. Use Oilers. See video "Japan Killer Bombay Move."

You can also invade Australia?
Australia does not start the game with enough units to guard all her east coast ports and Canberra. If Canberra unguarded land on beaches to the southeast of it and take it. It is Main supply and 5 morale.

If Canberra guarded there will be 2 ports open. If Allied smart they will be the two size 2. That is 80 supply. That is enough to supply 6 full strength divisions and a full strength air group. Take one of the bigger ports and you got more supply.

You can knock Australia or India out of the war. You have to decide, before turn 1 which to do.

< Message edited by incbob -- 5/31/2021 4:57:22 PM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 9
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 5:18:18 PM   
YueJin

You can move to knock India/Aus out of the war by mid 1942 but you don't have to. I intend to give first time players a risk free pathway to take all the easy VP's and then they can expand their own strategy from there.

Even if you are going for the killer invasion at Bombay, blockading Fiji and Nomea turn 1 is still sensible and moving the KB Southeast means they get to India at the same time whilst also covering those invasions which are finished by turn 3, they only need to move to Nomea on turn 3 if the US CV's try to intervene. Your 3 CVL's and surface fleet are more than sufficient to cover your invasion at Ceylon or Bombay from the meagre British ships.

Regarding Wake, yes it is a fairly useless base in general for both sides but I don't think that division has anything better to do with it's time, the other forces you have are plenty to take Nomea/Fiji and India and destroying the USMC garrison is worth the 25pp's from the landing ships imo. It's a relatively minor move though that won't really impact the game much whether you do it or not.

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 10
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 5/31/2021 5:51:53 PM   
eskuche

The other consideration is that you can waste USN transport time by “forcing” them, psychologically, to take even undefended islands back. This potentially buys you a critical few turns in the few transports period for Allies.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 11
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/1/2021 1:38:57 PM   
ago1000

Excellent first move. Thanks for sharing.
With the changes to DEI and Philippines in the next patch what sort of adjustments do you think you will need to make with your opening move?

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 12
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/1/2021 1:51:22 PM   
YueJin

It depends on what gets added to the DEI. If it's only Surabaya and Bandar Lampung becoming morale centres then that's just two more divisions needed, could just use the divisions at Saigon or Cam Rahn if necessary. If the Batavia garrison gets pumped up to 10/10 strength it might get a bit trickier as it's main supply. Assuming the scorched earth is removed like Alvaro said, it may become better to land at Bandar Lampung and just take the oil, reducing Batavia with airstrikes over 2-3 turns.

Phillipeans I can't see changing in any meaningful way unless Manilla is made main supply which would totally change the difficulty of forcing surrender. If Davao becomes a morale hex, then just blockade it and sacrifice the Lae landing to cut it off from Baybay and Cebu and it shouldn't change the timetable for surrender there.

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 13
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/1/2021 6:40:29 PM   
incbob

quote:

ORIGINAL: YueJin
It depends on what gets added to the DEI. If it's only Surabaya and Bandar Lampung becoming morale centres then that's just two more divisions needed, could just use the divisions at Saigon or Cam Rahn if necessary. If the Batavia garrison gets pumped up to 10/10 strength it might get a bit trickier as it's main supply. Assuming the scorched earth is removed like Alvaro said, it may become better to land at Bandar Lampung and just take the oil, reducing Batavia with airstrikes over 2-3 turns.

Phillipeans I can't see changing in any meaningful way unless Manilla is made main supply which would totally change the difficulty of forcing surrender. If Davao becomes a morale hex, then just blockade it and sacrifice the Lae landing to cut it off from Baybay and Cebu and it shouldn't change the timetable for surrender there.

This sounds about right. We are going to have to see what the changers are in order to determine the new meta.

A couple of things do worry me though.

1) From what Alvaro has posted it sounds like it will take a turn or two longer now for the Japanese to conquer the DEI and the Philippines. Lets assume that it takes 2 extra turns. That puts the DEK falling on January 4th, it was not invaded till Feb. If the Philippines falls mid-January or Feb it would be about right IMO. (MacArthur was ordered to leave early March.)

2) It sounds like to increase balance he is just increasing the strength of some units. This to me is a signal that there is a fundamental problem with the game system.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 14
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/2/2021 1:49:39 PM   
stjeand

Not sure I would say fundamental game problem.

You need to make small changes to try to effect change. Massive changes usually break things in the wrong direction.

With a larger unit...the Japanese can still invade but if rain hits they may not be able to attack...maybe that creates a supply problem and they can't take the location.

Sadly leaving the game to "build your own story" creates issues like this.
It is nearly impossible for force history yet let the players decide. They will always find a loophole.

Lets say we removed all the units that could invade the DEI turn 1...great...issue solved.
Well no...the Japanese could just move other "landing" units and land turn 2. It is what I would do.
I would invade Rubaul and then pull back all other invading units and go after the DEI, which would be ahistorical again.

IF the DEI needs to fall per historical dates then the only way I can see is you either make the units strong enough that the Japanese have to send an army to take it...and that takes time, or they have to be left neutral until a date that the Japanese should invade.
It is not like the DEI was sending out their forces to attack the Japanese so being neutral would not really change anything.
I am not sure the game engine allows for this though. Would have to check with Alvaro...

One concern now with the DEI not being able to be taken turn 1...

The Air Unit in the DEI will now shoot down the Japanese bombers hitting the Prince of Wales and Repulse...and they will likely escape.
The few times I forgot to take the DEI that plane was a pain.

I think the efficiency will need to be changed to 49% to start...that way it will not "defend".

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 15
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/2/2021 1:58:43 PM   
stjeand

Opening move changes that I do...

2) Philippines. I make sure I sink the 2 subs...if they get away they will be back hitting your convoys.
Normally I move down the other plane in Japan to Formosa and get another bombing run in.
Also will move a CVL from Japan down and attack as well as the CVL east of the Philippines to attack.

6) DEI...I just move the IJN Marine down and invade. THEN move the DD next to the city, supply the marine. Attacking with the Marine alone 6 to 1 odds has a 90% chance of success in the first attack leaving your other invading unit to go elsewhere. Sometimes it takes a 2nd attack but I have never had the unit hold longer than that attack...then I will invade with the other unit. IF you want you can send down a larger fleet and probably guarantee it falling but that is more ships using oil. I tend to try to keep most in port early on to save up.

Also not sure why you do not take Kuala Belait...I am sure too on turn one...capturing both oil fields and the port. I then walk my unit south till I capture Sarawak.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 16
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/2/2021 2:09:49 PM   
YueJin

I don't capture the oil fields on Borneo turn 1 because oil simply isn't a concern for the Japanese as long as you hold the Palembang fields through 1943. You'll hit stockpile easily enough as long as you don't keep the entire fleet out every turn. I tend to capture it with the 5 strength division that starts near Saigon on turn 2 to preserve landing craft. The other reason why my CVL's aren't doing anything in this guide is that there are two armies and two divisions chilling in transports at Batavia harbour ready to move into the Indian ocean turn 2 and invade turn 3, the 3 CVL's and around 18 surface ships are at Saigon ready to provide naval bombardment and defend in the case that the two American carriers show up in India turn 3. Bombay and Madras fall turn 4, India usually surrenders around the time the US gets their first transport.

Not really the basics though in my opinion so I left that out.

< Message edited by YueJin -- 6/2/2021 2:10:36 PM >

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 17
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/2/2021 3:20:51 PM   
stjeand

Ah...well to be honest I am not a fan of the "invade" India so you can reset easy...I won't do that. I think it is at many have said ahistorical and wrong. I don't want to play a game that is over in 10 turns.

There was a time in WPE where France with the help of a massive UK army could sometimes defeat Germany. Boring game and no one learns anything.

NOW since I use less LC to take DEI I have 10 more than you at that point...so taking Borneo is a wash.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 18
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/2/2021 4:04:25 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Being able to take India throws the game off. As long as it is relatively easy to do it become the required strategy for the Japanese player rather than one of many choices. Hopefully this will be fixed in the update. While Australia isn't probably as important as India, it still alters the game flow. If only India is fixed then all those resources directed at India will probably go to taking Australia. If the Japanese also take Fiji the US will have no port that can repair and support fleets except Pearl Harbor.

Historically these didn't happen because Japan didn't have the logistics (merchants) to supply forces operating so far from Japan. They did some raiding into the Indian Ocean but they never tried to take bases there. But in the game "new" convoy routes aren't created for supply forces in India and Australia so there is no vulnerability there for the Allied player to raid. The Allied player has convoy routes to these it has to protect but once they are taken by the Japanese they get free shipping to it.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 19
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 6/6/2021 1:40:24 PM   
CrackingShow

Also spend on Anti Submarine Warfare so the US sub fleet doesn't kill all your merchants.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 20
RE: Opening turn basics for Japan - 1/4/2022 11:56:57 PM   
aalb1970

I believe they patched out the possibility to disembark land units next to Batavia. With version 1.00.05 the game says "no landing locations available". I don't see how it's possible to avoid running out of oil after 2-3 turns as the Japanese player.

(in reply to CrackingShow)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> The War Room >> Opening turn basics for Japan Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI