Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Custom Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Custom Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/17/2021 8:44:01 AM   
Khanti

Ernie, I'll make some other small changes and post it on scenario bank. It was just short demonstration version.

I'm sad because it seems one can not edit units on map (other than name and color).
And in some windows mouse wheel works and in some not.
And sometimes arrows works moving whole menus, sometimes not, and one must use mouse wheel.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 31
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/17/2021 11:33:52 AM   
ernieschwitz

Ok :)

The other stuff sounds dodgy. :(

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
    Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.

Try this Global WW2 Scenario: GD1938v3

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 32
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/18/2021 8:00:36 PM   
billios65

Ref:Nordwind
I am almost finished creating the map for this offensive, it is 80km x 60km. I have not included the Straßburg and Southern zone which would cover the fighting around the Colmar Pocket, I may do so in the future though. Once the map is finished I'll crack on with the rest of the editing. I already possess considerable research material from when I created Nordwind scenarios for Command Ops 2 (Dave@Panthergames), I also still possess copies of all the original maps used by Germans and Allies.

Post #: 33
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/19/2021 7:58:03 AM   
nikdav

Great !
With the open beta patch i added all the Corps/Division icons you need !

Davide

(in reply to billios65)
Post #: 34
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/19/2021 8:20:12 AM   
billios65

Ah so that's where I need to look!

(in reply to nikdav)
Post #: 35
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/20/2021 12:31:16 AM   
Khanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khanti

https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=310

(edited as I uploaded it to scenario bank)

_WaR-H2.dc4 985.1 KB

version: 17 Dec 21

Tank does matter.
It's my version of main scenario Wacht Am Rhein.
I use it as demonstrator - what changes I would like to see and to find out what other people think.

The main reason was to increase importance of armored vehicles on battlefield.
They just die in assaults too fast and are too fragile to my liking (yes, it's a matter of taste). So I've improved their ranged fire form 50% to 65%. Firing from distance now makes sense.

Second chance is adding some missing replacements and making them more unpredictable. Work in progress, but it's done partially. It' mostly done by +1 random unit a turn for some common types. Unfortunately I don't know how to FORCE the game to actually use horse carriages as replacements for artillery units.

Third thing is increased number of panzerschrecks in all German units. Right now, only by replacements, as I did not want to manually rearrange units on map. But if replacements will arrive, then every battalion could have up to 9 of them. I've 2 turns for increased panzerschrecks arrival. Should fill some vacates.

Fourth thing is fuel for Germans that is increased from 4k to 4.5k every turn. This should help. As the real nightmare were narrow roads and interdiction by allied airplanes, not shortages of fuel in rear area depots.

Fifth. I've added 2 small battalions to HGB. Nothing fancy, just to test how it works in editor with disbanding battlegroups.

Six. Recon points for standard recon vehicles are 5. Jeeps and Kubelwagens have 2 points.

Seven. Removed 50% probability of drawing artillery fire by some mortars. There were two such types. I've set linear 20% probability for many units. Still don't know why some artillery units have this flag set up and some not. I'm tempted to set it the same for all trucks, artillery and mortars (20%) and the same for all infantry (10%). This way artillery/mortars will not shot vs. tanks if other units are near.

8. I've added a few officer's cards for a few German and British officers. Brits have generally weak officers, don't know why. Replaced commander of 6 para brigade with proper one and added commander for 5 para brigade.

9. I've replaced German Feldersatz battalion that costs 20 PP with more valuable Kampfgruppe. Feldersatz battalions can be acquired by officer's cards, by the way (without paying PP).

10. Added ability to raise units for Montgomery, but I don't know how to make it to raise Brits. Right now, he just calls American Rear Area units.

11. I've set auxiliary infantry Reinforcement Type for both sides, so no more secondary infantry appear in frontline units.

12. I've set Heavy Mortar flag for German 120 mm, so they no more appear in infantry regiments. Artillery regiments dont' accepts 81 mm too.

13. There are working horses replacements for Germans.

14. Some other changes in Reinforcement Types.

15. Some small random replacements for Brits from 50 turn.

16. I've set all Road Block units short names as RB.

This new version will be uploaded to scenario bank soon.
I don't have other plans for changes righ now. I'd like to play it a while :-)

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 36
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/20/2021 3:08:23 AM   
ernieschwitz

Sounds like you got quite a mod going there, and you're learning a bit of the editor too. I love it when people learn to do stuff, and you are certainly proving you can do that :)

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
    Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.

Try this Global WW2 Scenario: GD1938v3

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 37
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/20/2021 3:09:52 PM   
Khanti

Yo Ernie ;-)
What is the most stunning fact, is I can now edit EVERY scenario with my modified files and got the same results I wanted to get in WaR !

I've edited
h-germanymodels.dc4his
h-alliedmodels.dc4his
h-German_officers.dc4off
h-British_officers.dc4off
h_GermanyTroops.dc4troops
h_alliedtroops.dc4troops

Still need to do American_officers.dc4off and officer's cards (but don't have editor for cards)

Nice fun

Post #: 38
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/20/2021 7:54:56 PM   
dduckett

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

There are actually 3 graphics you need to change for each symbol you want to make.

Thank you for the explanation and tips.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Need some follower power to find somebody who's good in playing around graphics programs.
While brainstorming some ideas about potential scenarios, I'd require a 7,5cm FK 16nA or 7,5cm FK/38 graphics picture(s), some NATO symbols to represent Bridge Engineers (Brückenpioniere), Panzer Pioniere, SF/Kommando, Construction etc.

I posted NATO symbol graphics for a mechanized engineer on different thread (https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5118977).

< Message edited by dduckett -- 12/20/2021 7:55:51 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/27/2021 6:18:04 PM   
carll11

HI Khanti, have you modded weather per turn? Can you share a quick tutor? I'd like to try myself and see what would happen if the germans had another week of poor( for them good) weather....

(in reply to dduckett)
Post #: 40
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/27/2021 7:06:21 PM   
Khanti

Carl. Its' easy.
1. Use simple editor for it, so:
2. Load scenario. Don't run it, but use simple editor option when scenario is ready to play.
3. 7th upper button is called TABLES. Use this one.
4. Historical weather is 1, random is 2, bad is 3. So you probably want to use number 3. But..
5. In TABLES, use weather library (right panel)
6. Use table 43 - historical overrun
7. There are turn numbers 1 to 64 and weather type.
8. It will probably be enough to change weather types from whatever to 3 or 4 but not 1 (clear).
See picture

There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 41
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/27/2021 7:51:52 PM   
Tempest5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

quote:

I'm not sure if copying/being influenced by scenarios from another game by another publisher will be received well, however. Thoughts?

No publisher would complain about that.

I did a comparison of DC:AO and WDS Bulge '44 Gold for something I had written. Both are 1km per hex and are striking examples of excellent map design.

In fact, I would recommend DC:AO players consider the WDS game, maybe during their sale starting 12/16/21. The two campaign maps are just different enough to be considered completely original creations.

I have been the fence on this...Do I really need DC:AO and B'44?

decisions decisons

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 42
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/28/2021 2:07:22 AM   
Rosseau

Oh gosh, Tempest5, you definitely need DC:AO. It is unique in so many ways. B'44 would be like a good book. Best wishes.

(in reply to Tempest5)
Post #: 43
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/28/2021 3:09:24 AM   
Tempest5

I have DC:AO ( see my mods). But should I get B’44? In fact I was waiting for the WDS Christmas sale to pick up B’44
But I enjoyed DC’s other strategy games so I scooped up their AO. No regrets on that decision.

< Message edited by Tempest5 -- 12/28/2021 3:10:16 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 44
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/28/2021 5:19:30 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khanti

Carl. Its' easy.
1. Use simple editor for it, so:
2. Load scenario. Don't run it, but use simple editor option when scenario is ready to play.
3. 7th upper button is called TABLES. Use this one.
4. Historical weather is 1, random is 2, bad is 3. So you probably want to use number 3. But..
5. In TABLES, use weather library (right panel)
6. Use table 43 - historical overrun
7. There are turn numbers 1 to 64 and weather type.
8. It will probably be enough to change weather types from whatever to 3 or 4 but not 1 (clear).
See picture

Thank you sir, I actually discovered this noodling around after I posted. I am going to play the present game to maybe turn 45, or until my frustration levels maxes out;).

Then I'll do some changes, the allies had compete air control but perhaps, I'll do a 3, overcast provides 25% of aircraft on target or you can adjust the number of aircraft per strike, flak effectiveness etc.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 45
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/28/2021 6:08:54 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

They just die in assaults too fast and are too fragile to my liking (yes, it's a matter of taste). So I've improved their ranged fire form 50% to 65%. Firing from distance now makes sense.

I have actually found ranged tank fire very useful in the standard game vs both tanks or infantry. For success against enemy tanks, the key to ranged attack is to have a terrain advantage and better readiness. Ranged fire is particularly useful in defensive counterattacks or if reducing infantry lacking anti-tank guns in terrain which is too dangerous to assault with armor. Infantry in the open, just overrun them.

Post #: 46
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/29/2021 2:17:52 AM   
Rosseau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

quote:

I have actually found ranged tank fire very useful in the standard game vs both tanks or infantry. For success against enemy tanks, the key to ranged attack is to have a terrain advantage and better readiness. Ranged fire is particularly useful in defensive counterattacks or if reducing infantry lacking anti-tank guns in terrain which is too dangerous to assault with armor. Infantry in the open, just overrun them.

Thanks for these observations and strategy tips. They are extremely helpful for someone like me, who is not a complete idiot, but always coming to grips with so many variables in such a richly detailed game.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 47
RE: Custom Scenarios - 12/29/2021 8:07:59 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

Thanks for these observations and strategy tips. They are extremely helpful for someone like me, who is not a complete idiot, but always coming to grips with so many variables in such a richly detailed game.

The trick is just to experiment a little until you find out what works. Switching between assault and ranged fire when planning your attack will often produce very different odds when using tanks.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 48
RE: Custom Scenarios - 1/1/2022 9:18:52 PM   
billios65

Any chance you can show me how to create horse replacements as you have done?

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 49
RE: Custom Scenarios - 1/2/2022 10:29:28 AM   
Oberst_Klink

There you go.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to billios65)
Post #: 50
RE: Custom Scenarios - 1/5/2022 1:54:10 PM   
vege1

Just as a fruit of thought battle of Salerno (Allied landings in Italy) could be a cool battle for a custom scenario. There is a lot of geographical variety (hills, urban, beaches, fields, etc) and unit variety (city garisons, mechanized and panzer units).

Germans used kampfgruppen and units arrived in piece meal to the area. The battle lasted around 8 days and the combat was quite intense, both sides switched between defense and offense. Allied shore bombardment could be modelled as off-map artillery or with the cards system.

Also, From the battlefields has an informative youtube video series about the battle.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Custom Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI