Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hubert what's next?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Hubert what's next? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hubert what's next? - 1/9/2022 1:10:09 AM   
CSSS

I have played all your games since Strategic command 1. What a grand 20+ years it has been. All the versions, Mods scenarios!
If anyone deserves a Golden public service medal,it is you and the staff who helped all along the way.
What does the future hold? Will you do a Roman game> A 4x fantasy or space? The engine that you have made would be excellent where random worlds are generated. Whatever is next? I am looking forward to it?
Post #: 1
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/9/2022 1:26:25 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Hear! Hear!

btw the space game idea is intriguing. I remember a SC3 WiE mod that never got finished but looked real good.

Yeah the input that Bill and Hubert take into consideration from us and implement in new iterations of an already fine game(s) totally deserves some kind of Hero Worker Award.

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 2
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/10/2022 8:40:25 AM   
nats

I would hope a new global WW2 game featuring stackable naval fleets. And then this could be expanded to take it into the cold war with dlc? That would be cool.

"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 3
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/10/2022 1:00:20 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks gentlemen, and while we are working on a few things that we believe will be of great interest to this community, we are just not quite ready to announce anything official just yet. Hopefully soon enough though

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 4
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/10/2022 5:46:44 PM   
CaesarAug

Oh wow, is that so! How wonderful a prospect! Thanks so much for your dedication!

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/10/2022 10:32:09 PM   
Zeckke

i know is dangerous, but more special units with better stats of attacking, bigger map of course, great job all this years, congrats

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 6
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 1:16:49 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Questions to ask:

1) What game will sell. Face facts, game makers need to eat too. WW2 is the safest genre. Nazis sell. Nazis are the one group which can be smacked; not protected by the Woke Word Police. Same time, the old guard is dying; new Generation might want "Harry Potter vs Spiderman", nah those are movies. Cannot take another Superhero movie, only watched one, The Hulk. U.S. Civil War, maybe. Problem, there's already dozens of them, that ship has sailed. Why would Euros & Russians & Juntas want to play that game. New generation people don't care about the Battle of Vicksburg, or do they. Maybe a market survey is in order.
2) What are developers capable of. Obviously WW2 history and gaming. Cannot make a game about Julius Caesar that's worth a shat, if you don't know the era. I'd stick with your bread & butter, WW2.
3) Next, do you keep giving the game facelifts like all the people on TV. Plastic surgery of new lips and ships would sell. But do you really want to keep singing the same song. Elvis died because after playing Hound Dog at the International Hotel over 5000+ concerts, I'd be popping roofies too. No, don't make another Strategic Command game. You know what to do, what will sell, and how much dough you'll make. But what about the challenge of engineering . More importantly, what about your soul.

Leads me to this: From the makers of Strategic Command, comes "WW2 Tactical Command". Play the greatest Battles of World War II. Released first, Tactical Command module 1: Stalingrad. Monster maps, with all kinds of new detail, terrain, units & ****loads of tactical goodies. Tank Commanders, Artillery Leaders, and Infantry badasses. Turn based, each turn is 3 days. Then make 20 more modules if your game is worth it. Module 2: Battle of Bulge. Module 3: Iwo Jima & Manilla. Start off with three distinct well know battles. Then again, why must the game have too much detail? If the game is realistic and fun, beer & pretzels could work.

This would require a game engine be made. Also able to add new features each module. Developers already know WW2.

Anything Nazis.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/14/2022 1:19:55 AM >

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to Zeckke)
Post #: 7
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 7:46:13 AM   
eriador08

I must disagree in part, Elvis. I am from Europe and know some people who would love a Civil War version.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 8
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 7:53:58 AM   
PanzerCro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Thanks gentlemen, and while we are working on a few things that we believe will be of great interest to this community, we are just not quite ready to announce anything official just yet. Hopefully soon enough though

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 9
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 5:45:37 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: eriador08

I must disagree in part, Elvis. I am from Europe and know some people who would love a Civil War version.

If the Euros want to come on over, do little bit of U.S. Civil War, fine by me. After all, America is Europe 2.0, new kids on the block. I would program this game: Victory Games U.S. Civil War. I'd pay $250 for this game if it was TCP/IP or "live" somehow. The game plays in pulses, Army of North Virginia, Potomac, etc. Interactive makes in fun. I'm an old fish these days, have played tons of games. Played Victory Games U.S. Civil War, face-2-face at least 150+ times.

Computer games tend to be two extremes. Choice #1, the game sux. Just a big blob of pieces, no strategy. Play the game 3 times, you're pissed you bought it. Choice #2, Strategic games keep getting deeper & deeper into clicking forever. Forget one thing, you're ruined. Compare original Civilization versus the latest Civ. New Civ versions take a lifetime to play. Maybe in Heaven I'll have enough time to play. Doesn't work for me.

I want to play the game, more than PBEM 2/turns day. I only get a small fix. Takes for forever to do a proper turn or I forget all the pieces because it could 3 days since last turn. You really think people aren't reloading. Sending flawless turns on the Oceans. Never making a bad move in Russia/Africa. It's a joke.

Frankly, I have no clue what to make. Nor what people will buy.

I forgot to remember to forget,
-Legend

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/14/2022 5:48:14 PM >

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 10
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 7:11:41 PM   
Tanaka

Regarding a new American Civil War game that would be optimal and perfect and here in my opinion is why:

SC games are the world war version of the Panzer General games (but better) that we all wanted.

At the time Civil War Generals 2 was the Panzer General of the ACW games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant,_Lee,_Sherman:_Civil_War_Generals_2

A sequel was planned, CWG3, that would have taken it to a bigger campaign level. It was eventually canceled and never happened and thus a niche was never filled. Many were let down since hoping one day it would come. But nothing close ever did. Except maybe Forge of Freedom.

Flash to today and Grand Tactician: The Civil War is out. It finally features the grand campaign and detail we all wanted. The only problem is: It is all real time campaign and battle and not turn/hex based like Panzer General/CWG2. Thus it is more like the Total War games and can be a real slog.

A grand campaign American Civil War Strategic Command game would finally give us what we have all been wanting and missing since CWG3 was dumped. A grand campaign Panzer General type game turned into the American Civil War on a huge scale. With all of the research and techs and toys and generals at play. Forge of Freedom was the closest thing we came to this but ultimately was not enough but a SC game of this scale would be a true winner. Just my two cents. Oh well a guy can dream...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/15/2022 5:59:36 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 10:07:32 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: eriador08

If the Euros want to come on over, do little bit of U.S. Civil War, fine by me. After all, America is Europe 2.0, new kids on the block. I would program this game: Victory Games U.S. Civil War. I'd pay $250 for this game if it was TCP/IP or "live" somehow. The game plays in pulses, Army of North Virginia, Potomac, etc. Interactive makes in fun. I'm an old fish these days, have played tons of games. Played Victory Games U.S. Civil War, face-2-face at least 150+ times.

Computer games tend to be two extremes. Choice #1, the game sux. Just a big blob of pieces, no strategy. Play the game 3 times, you're pissed you bought it. Choice #2, Strategic games keep getting deeper & deeper into clicking forever. Forget one thing, you're ruined. Compare original Civilization versus the latest Civ. New Civ versions take a lifetime to play. Maybe in Heaven I'll have enough time to play. Doesn't work for me.

I want to play the game, more than PBEM 2/turns day. I only get a small fix. Takes for forever to do a proper turn or I forget all the pieces because it could 3 days since last turn. You really think people aren't reloading. Sending flawless turns on the Oceans. Never making a bad move in Russia/Africa. It's a joke.

Frankly, I have no clue what to make. Nor what people will buy.

I forgot to remember to forget,
-Legend

Wow I have this game too. Played the heck out of it. Scope was perfect. Also some fascinating alleyways to explore like the Far West/New Mexico and the Indian Territory/Oklahoma. Sideshows sure..but it was all here.

The SC engine would be perfect for this massive conflict.

One problem that I could see but could be overcome possibly is the river combat like on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. Jazon who created the Polish-Soviet War mod for SC-WW1 and I playtested and featured on YT ran into this problem when trying to design in gunboats etc for the Pripyat and Dniepr.

Anyway American Civil War was a titanic struggle. Russian Civil War also....and there is already a fine base with SC-WW1 to pull that off.

Of course..not bored with the current SC-3 titles. Have just scratched the surface here..and I am personally getting reacquainted with WiE after a long absence, especially Crispy131313's latest version of Fall Wiess II and Elessar's WitP mod for WaW.

Post #: 12
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/14/2022 11:40:45 PM   
archmache

Well for starters I think we should get an expansion pack for the current SC games.

1) Fix naval warfare
2) Fix supply (supply needs be totally revamped in my opinion!)
3) Differentiate Unit combat (i.e. army should function different than recon besides just stronger unit values)
4) Fix map interactions (for example Stalingrad and Leningrad should really be 4 hexes and you should need to take all 4 to "take the city" - same thing with NA supply should be determined based on "sea control" somehow with # and strength of naval units etc to mimic supply. Additionally operational zones need to be added to prevent moving stuff from east to west in one turn. Also need to add localized moral so that if you take or retake a city it effects units with x hexes to mimic routs and tactical victories or whatever. This is a real gripe I have that the Russian front is so big yet it does not feel tactical at all .. its just three lines to the big 3 cities. Something like Kursk battles have never showed up in my MP games.)

I think SC is good - so good that it is in fact the only video game I play but it really needs to get overhauled b/c as I play it more instead of getting deeper into the game and learning more Strats I just start to see gimmicks etc.

For 1) Naval Warfare
- if they fixed this they could release an official WiP game for $50 or whatever and people would buy it. Then port those good naval changes to the rest of the game.

/rant over

Post #: 13
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/15/2022 10:03:37 AM   
firsteds

+1 for a SC hex based turn based US Civil War game please. I am in Europe - I don't think that is a barrier to wanting a good US Civil War game. PBEM would be awesome.

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 14
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/15/2022 10:58:59 AM   
nats

There is Grand Tactician: American Civil War? That is a very good game although not multiplayer. But does anyone actually play any of these games as multiplayer games?

"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"

(in reply to firsteds)
Post #: 15
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/15/2022 6:02:57 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: nats

There is Grand Tactician: American Civil War? That is a very good game although not multiplayer. But does anyone actually play any of these games as multiplayer games?

Not hex based. Not turn based. Very slow real time battle and campaign. Very different. And no Multiplayer like you said. Strategic Command could fill a real hole here...

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 16
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/15/2022 7:00:26 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: archmache

3) Differentiate Unit combat (i.e. army should function different than recon besides just stronger unit values)

.... Also need to add localized moral so that if you take or retake a city it effects units with x hexes to mimic routs and tactical victories or whatever. This is a real gripe I have that the Russian front is so big yet it does not feel tactical at all .. its just three lines to the big 3 cities. Something like Kursk battles have never showed up in my MP games.)

These are interesting ideas! Do you have ideas on how 3 would work?

The localised morale could be great - if a system can be created that means the collapse of French morale in 1940 happens organically rather than by event, that would be amazing (and also apply to the many other fronts of the game..)

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 17
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/15/2022 7:47:43 PM   
Keenan

I would take American Civil War or a Napoleonic Age one. Both has been built as Mods for SC 2 and given the limitations of the engine and the effort a typical modder can afford to invest, the results were already pretty cool. And I can`t wait to see what FOARPs Opus Magnum (more than 2 years of work) American Front will turn out to be.

On an ACW or a age of Napoleon version:
- One of the core elements: Manoeuvring and supply also works of these scenarios (with a few tweaks, some beyond the capabilities of the current engine, will possibly be required).
Cohesive frontlines would obviously be a lot less relevant, so the local battles need to work somehow different (refreshing unit strength points would need to be more limited, so a localized war of attrition becomes possible - this is already there in the current engine but barley moddable to tweak it to a level where it would work smoothly for such scenarios). For example it could make sense to emulate the "living off the land" aspect to only give supply to units attached to HQs not every unit in range. And low supply units could already suffer some attrition not only out of supply ones. But higher readiness and moral could do the job as well - just now it is very hard to do siege efficiently in 2:1/3:1 situations if the defender is positioned in supply source that has not yet been brought down.
- Maps would need to be bigger or the movement points reduced - a combination of both might allow the best compromise. (I know the creation of larger maps is painful and time consuming, so not sure if this will be doable as an invest into a new version of SC3.)
Impact of ZOCs possibly needs some tweaking as well.
- The political and econonmical game could use some extension as well (still could be done without re-inventing it in full).
Units or minors with their units switching sides but keeping strength (more or less) and position would be a great thing to see. For a Napoleonic scenario it would be even better if this would work for Majors as well - maybe one could introduce something like "secondary" majors which can do so, while the core majors (France and UK respectively USA and CSA) are kept static. [I know, this is possibly a big ask in terms of engine adjustments. But it is also quite a weakness already now. When Italy switches sides even a fully intact and upgraded Regina Marina just vanishes. The naval war is typically not of any relevance at this point and all relevant Italian military units basically are gone anyways but it is still a strange mechanism.]
Production could be more regional (pre-assigning the capital/supply/industrial center when starting unit production, so you would need to place it there could make a lot of sense - to be honest I think this could even make sense for the current games and it`s there for the initial production queue at game start).
Also I`m missing different approaches to deal with occupied countries, historically there was often the choice between short term gain (plundering) and strengthening local forces willing to collaborate. Right now this has always been left to events to deal with. But for example it would be an option to plunder less and gain a higher max occupation efficiency percentage in return. Or events could be allowed to adjust this value. Some monarchs and codes of law Napoleon put in place were more popular that the previous ones. In other cases or just when times of peace fell short this "strategy" failed miserably. In a similar way one could choose the reduction of conquered supply sources depending on a military doctrine chosen by both the attacker and the defender (potentially paying a price in respect to NM when choosing extremes).
- Overall it could be more a game of NM for the majors than just conquering capitals to somehow emphasize the importance of larger battles during these days. With typically some heavy impact, if a capital is actually being lost.
- Naval game would possibly use some tweaking as well but I think this is something that is partially true for the existing games as well. (I`m not saying it`s broken but it always kind of feels like it should be improved here and there.)

Obviously such scenarios could also work completely different, I just wanted to add my 2 cents how certain effects could be achieved while keep most existing core mechanisms of the engine intact. I can definitely see options for both timelines without major changes to the engine. But possibly some would be required to make some things work in a non-weird way.

+++

Independent for these kind of expansions there used to be some more "battle" and "local campaign" type scenarios as part of the SC2 add-ons. Things like that might not attract as much attention and are possibly also drawing less interest from the MP community but that does not mean there is no interest at all.

+++

And in any case I would like to see the Russian Civil War Scenario return - one way or another.

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 18
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/16/2022 2:31:05 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keenan

I would take American Civil War or a Napoleonic Age one. Both has been built as Mods for SC 2 and given the limitations of the engine and the effort a typical modder can afford to invest, the results were already pretty cool. And I can`t wait to see what FOARPs Opus Magnum (more than 2 years of work) American Front will turn out to be.

On an ACW or a age of Napoleon version:
- One of the core elements: Manoeuvring and supply also works of these scenarios (with a few tweaks, some beyond the capabilities of the current engine, will possibly be required).
Cohesive frontlines would obviously be a lot less relevant, so the local battles need to work somehow different (refreshing unit strength points would need to be more limited, so a localized war of attrition becomes possible - this is already there in the current engine but barley moddable to tweak it to a level where it would work smoothly for such scenarios). For example it could make sense to emulate the "living off the land" aspect to only give supply to units attached to HQs not every unit in range. And low supply units could already suffer some attrition not only out of supply ones. But higher readiness and moral could do the job as well - just now it is very hard to do siege efficiently in 2:1/3:1 situations if the defender is positioned in supply source that has not yet been brought down.
- Maps would need to be bigger or the movement points reduced - a combination of both might allow the best compromise. (I know the creation of larger maps is painful and time consuming, so not sure if this will be doable as an invest into a new version of SC3.)
Impact of ZOCs possibly needs some tweaking as well.
- The political and econonmical game could use some extension as well (still could be done without re-inventing it in full).
Units or minors with their units switching sides but keeping strength (more or less) and position would be a great thing to see. For a Napoleonic scenario it would be even better if this would work for Majors as well - maybe one could introduce something like "secondary" majors which can do so, while the core majors (France and UK respectively USA and CSA) are kept static. [I know, this is possibly a big ask in terms of engine adjustments. But it is also quite a weakness already now. When Italy switches sides even a fully intact and upgraded Regina Marina just vanishes. The naval war is typically not of any relevance at this point and all relevant Italian military units basically are gone anyways but it is still a strange mechanism.]
Production could be more regional (pre-assigning the capital/supply/industrial center when starting unit production, so you would need to place it there could make a lot of sense - to be honest I think this could even make sense for the current games and it`s there for the initial production queue at game start).
Also I`m missing different approaches to deal with occupied countries, historically there was often the choice between short term gain (plundering) and strengthening local forces willing to collaborate. Right now this has always been left to events to deal with. But for example it would be an option to plunder less and gain a higher max occupation efficiency percentage in return. Or events could be allowed to adjust this value. Some monarchs and codes of law Napoleon put in place were more popular that the previous ones. In other cases or just when times of peace fell short this "strategy" failed miserably. In a similar way one could choose the reduction of conquered supply sources depending on a military doctrine chosen by both the attacker and the defender (potentially paying a price in respect to NM when choosing extremes).
- Overall it could be more a game of NM for the majors than just conquering capitals to somehow emphasize the importance of larger battles during these days. With typically some heavy impact, if a capital is actually being lost.
- Naval game would possibly use some tweaking as well but I think this is something that is partially true for the existing games as well. (I`m not saying it`s broken but it always kind of feels like it should be improved here and there.)

Obviously such scenarios could also work completely different, I just wanted to add my 2 cents how certain effects could be achieved while keep most existing core mechanisms of the engine intact. I can definitely see options for both timelines without major changes to the engine. But possibly some would be required to make some things work in a non-weird way.

+++

Independent for these kind of expansions there used to be some more "battle" and "local campaign" type scenarios as part of the SC2 add-ons. Things like that might not attract as much attention and are possibly also drawing less interest from the MP community but that does not mean there is no interest at all.

+++

And in any case I would like to see the Russian Civil War Scenario return - one way or another.

Agreed. These could both be done one after the other as they are both in the rifled age...

(in reply to Keenan)
Post #: 19
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/16/2022 8:30:43 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Votes are in, have been tallied.
Strategic Command U.S. Civil War 1861-1865. Get working Hubert.
How about July release, matches up with the Battle of Gettysburg July 1863.

Since one person complained about being called a Junta. I would like to have "Johnny Reb" and "Yank" be banned. I'm a grown ass man and f-ing kidding. Could go with Runta & Yunta. Where is that dude anyways? Was a fake. Showed up for 1-day, posted 50+ worthless new threads, then left. Doubt he owned the game. Probably some new turd with 2 profiles. 1 person dictates policy, so 3rd Day Millennium.

Great peace unto them that love Him, and nothing shall offend thee.
-Legend

I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times dar am not forgotten,
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
In Dixie Land whar’ I was born in,
Early on one frosty mornin’,
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/16/2022 10:13:09 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 20
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/17/2022 12:34:40 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Wow.
Reincarnation must be real. Looks like #45 right here.......

Post #: 21
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/17/2022 2:04:13 AM   
Unfortunate Son

Holy reincarnation Batman! I see the resemblance. Was this picture taken in 1865 or 1965?

Post #: 22
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/17/2022 2:51:18 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unfortunate Son

Holy reincarnation Batman! I see the resemblance. Was this picture taken in 1865 or 1965?

That photo looks like #45 in 1965 to 1985. Alas the second time around he couldn't get into the army like the rest of the poor saps back in the 1960's. He was born with bonespurs this last incarnation. Could be karma.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 1/17/2022 2:52:17 AM >

(in reply to Unfortunate Son)
Post #: 23
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/17/2022 12:40:10 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

#45 Eerie, indeed in the photo of yesteryear.
Visiting Gettysburg gave me major gitters.
Gave Pickett major gitter also, "General, I have no division".

Planet Earth,
-EJR

Look now, look all around
There's no sign of life
Voices, another sound
Can you hear me now?
This is planet earth, you're looking at planet earth
Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop this is planet earth

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/17/2022 12:47:09 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 1:37:15 AM   
Bo Rearguard

While we're dreaming, an American Revolutionary War game would be interesting too. I still have my old copy of Avalon Hill's 1776.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 25
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 2:20:49 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

While we're dreaming, an American Revolutionary War game would be interesting too. I still have my old copy of Avalon Hill's 1776.

This was such a well made game...one of the best Avalon Hill put out. I still think its tops over any other American Revolution era games that came out, at least at this strategic level. Mine got lost in a move..but there are some on the market. I may go shopping!

Anyway..yes, this conflict would be a great choice to develop.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 26
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 2:23:55 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Pow! The shot heard around the world. 1776. I had that game. Bought it, barely could read, the cover looked cool. My gaming group buddies were readers, they taught be all the games 3rd Reich, Squad Leader, US Civil War, War in the Pacific. We never got around to playing 1776.

But here's one we probably played dozen plus, multiplayer neighborhood games, Conquistador. Had too much paperwork calculations and the combat was stale. The exploration was the fun part, second half game dragged.

Startin' tomorrow only good things in life are going to come to me,
-EJR

There's a brand new day on the horizon
Everything's gonna be just fine
And the whole world's gonna be mine

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/18/2022 2:25:56 AM >

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 27
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 3:52:47 AM   
archmache

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

This was such a well made game...one of the best Avalon Hill put out. I still think its tops over any other American Revolution era games that came out, at least at this strategic level. Mine got lost in a move..but there are some on the market. I may go shopping!

I agree ...

It could start off in 1775 with players having to make strategic and tactical choices. Kind of like a long drawn out mulligan and deployment phase. In this players would vie for Native American allies, Old World help from Spain, France, or Germany etc, loyalists states vs ones that would "rise" immediately, and where the constitution was signed and finally where the first "shot heard round the world would occur." This would be phase one. Even something like spies could be placed and location of gunpowder.

Phase two would be the initial fights, building the armies, English arriving on NA shores, skirmishes.

Phase three would be the climax with wars in the North and the South states and even west of the appalachines and into New England and Canada. Now that I think about it this could be a fun game.

Post #: 28
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 3:55:03 AM   
archmache

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

Pow! The shot heard around the world. 1776. I had that game. Bought it, barely could read, the cover looked cool. My gaming group buddies were readers, they taught be all the games 3rd Reich, Squad Leader, US Civil War, War in the Pacific. We never got around to playing 1776.

But here's one we probably played dozen plus, multiplayer neighborhood games, Conquistador. Had too much paperwork calculations and the combat was stale. The exploration was the fun part, second half game dragged.

Startin' tomorrow only good things in life are going to come to me,
-EJR

Everything's gonna be just fine
And the whole world's gonna be mine

Out of curiosity ... do you end ever post with a new quote or poem? How do you have so many of those memoried?

Post #: 29
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 5:20:19 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: archmache

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

I agree ...

It could start off in 1775 with players having to make strategic and tactical choices. Kind of like a long drawn out mulligan and deployment phase. In this players would vie for Native American allies, Old World help from Spain, France, or Germany etc, loyalists states vs ones that would "rise" immediately, and where the constitution was signed and finally where the first "shot heard round the world would occur." This would be phase one. Even something like spies could be placed and location of gunpowder.

Phase two would be the initial fights, building the armies, English arriving on NA shores, skirmishes.

Phase three would be the climax with wars in the North and the South states and even west of the appalachines and into New England and Canada. Now that I think about it this could be a fun game.

Indeed as well! Have you guys played Birth of America 2 from Ageod? It has a lot of this but a SC game would be ever better!

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Hubert what's next? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI