Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail Hexes in Italy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Rail Hexes in Italy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 6:35:30 PM   
canuckgamer

I noticed that all the rail hexes in Italy only cost 1 OP to enter so they act like road hexes. Was that your intention?
Post #: 1
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 6:43:32 PM   
Nirosi

I strongly believe that all rail hexes on the map act also like road hexes (and should).

< Message edited by Nirosi -- 1/12/2022 6:53:20 PM >

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 6:56:37 PM   
stjeand

Strangely I have found some that do not...in Russia that is.
And I believed that it was true always cost one per move.
I was trying to move and blocked multiple times in a current game. I just let it go but I will have to revalidate and next time I see it take a screen shot.

I have been having movement issues which are strange but figured that was per design. I could check the editor to validate each land with a railroad is set to one.

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 7:32:52 PM   
Nirosi

Thinking about it it could make sense that in some semi-isolated sectors some rail are not also roads. However in Western Europe such as UK, France, Germany etc. They should all (or pretty close) be also roads.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 8:54:04 PM   
stjeand

I think there are still some movement bugs.

For example...I check and can move past a unit and it has no ZOC. I move a different unit somewhere else and come back to this unit and suddenly it is blocked by a ZOC.

I need to take a few screen shots...but Al could not find a fix for the one I posted in Poland that I use every game.

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/12/2022 9:44:19 PM   
Nirosi

Thanks for you time stjeand. Not everybody would have the patience.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 12:24:53 AM   
canuckgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: stjeand

Strangely I have found some that do not...in Russia that is.
And I believed that it was true always cost one per move.
I was trying to move and blocked multiple times in a current game. I just let it go but I will have to revalidate and next time I see it take a screen shot.

I have been having movement issues which are strange but figured that was per design. I could check the editor to validate each land with a railroad is set to one.

stjeand, my friend and encountered some movement anomalies which I posted about. Alvaro replied asking for screenshots but I don't know how to do that. However I did post in detail the exact moves we did but he has not followed up on them. If you do the exact same moves as per below, can you tell me if you are getting the same movement anomalies? If yes can you post some screenshots so that Alvaro can see what I am talking about? Thanks.

The game you refer to is actually two turns of a 1941 Campaign hot seat to test what we were seeing in our PBEM game. We think we encountered two movement bugs. I save the test as "Game One" and see it in saved games. I clicked on your name but I don't see an option to attach a file.

Here are the moves I did step by step.

1. Opened up a 1941 Campaign Hot Seat
2. Ended the Axis turn without doing anything so as to advance the Allied turn.
3. In the Allied turn I moved a number of Russian units away from the front so that there would be no ZOC impacting the test.
4. I moved a 9-5 German infantry starting in hex 170,66 to hex 173,68 which is a full marsh hex and it cost 2 OPs to enter that hex. Shouldn't it be 1 OP?
5. I then did an undo of the last hex moved by the 9-5 infantry and moved a 5-5 German infantry starting in hex 171,67 to the same marsh hex 173,68. It also cost the 5-5 infantry 2 OPs.
6. I moved a 14-5 infantry starting in hex 175,60 adjacent to small urban hex 179,62 which converted that hex to Axis controlled.
7. I then moved the German tank starting in hex 176,60 in to the small urban hex and you will see that it cost 2 OPs even though the small urban hex is in clear terrain.

The anomaly we are seeing in the urban hex example is that if you do not convert the small urban hex to Axis control and move the German tank unit starting in hex 176,60 in to the urban hex it will only cost 1 OP. So converting that hex to Axis control before the tank enters adds 1 additional OP to the cost.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 5:46:58 AM   
canuckgamer

My mistake on the infantry moving in to the marsh hexes as it does cost 2. Please check out #6 and #7. Thanks.

Post #: 8
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 5:51:02 AM   
canuckgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: stjeand

I think there are still some movement bugs.

For example...I check and can move past a unit and it has no ZOC. I move a different unit somewhere else and come back to this unit and suddenly it is blocked by a ZOC.

I need to take a few screen shots...but Al could not find a fix for the one I posted in Poland that I use every game.

My friend and I have encountered the bug with the ZOC multiple times.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 9
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 10:08:26 AM   
stjeand

At least the bug is a minor thing.

Honestly I think on the first turn after a DOW, ZOCs should not exist, at least for the first move, since it is a surprise.
But overall...it is minor.

Post #: 10
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 1:14:08 PM   
AlvaroSousa

For WP2 I am going to try a different approach to calculating ZoC. The Cav thing I can't see why it is doing it from my end.

WP1 is incredibly complex under the hood. Partially because I had not programmed in decades and learned as I went. Making any huge changes now would be difficult.

But if specifics are given to a bug I can figure out why.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 11
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 4:20:35 PM   
canuckgamer

Alvaro, I also realize that you are a one man team so I try to be very specific about bugs. For the movement anomaly we encountered in WP I am wondering if you get the same result doing the following:

6. I moved a 14-5 infantry starting in hex 175,60 adjacent to small urban hex 179,62 which converted that hex to Axis controlled.
7. I then moved the German tank starting in hex 176,60 in to the small urban hex and you will see that it cost 2 OPs even though the small urban hex is in clear terrain.

The anomaly we are seeing in the urban hex example is that if you do not convert the small urban hex to Axis control and move the German tank unit starting in hex 176,60 in to the urban hex it will only cost 1 OP. So converting that hex to Axis control before the tank enters adds 1 additional OP to the cost.

I did this test after opening up a 1961 campaign hotseat. Thanks.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 12
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/13/2022 4:21:40 PM   
canuckgamer

Sorry, typo, that is a 1941 hotseat.

Post #: 13
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/16/2022 3:42:29 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

For WP2 I am going to try a different approach to calculating ZoC. The Cav thing I can't see why it is doing it from my end.

WP1 is incredibly complex under the hood. Partially because I had not programmed in decades and learned as I went. Making any huge changes now would be difficult.

But if specifics are given to a bug I can figure out why.

Can't help identify the bug ...
but a thought for WP2 .....
Rail hexes should be good for rail movement but not treated as a road hex for normal movement or supply .... a single or twin rail track isn't going to be much help to wheeled vehicle movement

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 14
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/16/2022 4:00:10 PM   
Nirosi

I would not agree because in Western Europe at least, you have roads pretty much in almost every hex as well. They represent both rails and roads. Maybe two type of rails? One "rail only" in isolated places like Northern USSR and other places according to research and "dual rail/road" hexes?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 15
RE: Rail Hexes in Italy - 1/16/2022 10:20:56 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I repeated it. I am not sure why it is off. But I am looking into it for the next patch. Could be because it is considered rugged but the rail should remove that.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Rail Hexes in Italy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI