Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/19/2022 10:26:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Things are going swimmingly here, apparently.

I vaguely recall making a comment years ago noting the civil and relatively sophisticated behavior of the forum members here, compared to other strategy and gaming rooms. There were spirited disagreements from which came no resolution, compromise, etc. Eventually the parties involved simply agreed to disagree, and moved on with some humor and a change of subject, and that was it.

There was also an air of self-reliance regarding finding answers to questions. Someone asks a question and they're either given an answer or pointed to where they can find the answer. In the latter case that person should then be able to look for and discover the answer for themselves, learning a lot more than they initially bargained for in the process. But responding with the notion that their question instead be answered then and there, simply because they asked it, is annoying. I agree that Alfred could be coarse at times but I always valued his knowledge - though by no means is he the only knowledgeable person in the forums - and whatever objective response you got from him was solid.

I don't know that I'm making a point here. I guess I'm trying so say that I don't want to see this forum descend into the politically correct stupidity we see poisoning our society. Blatantly insulting and deliberately demeaning behavior should not be tolerated. Obviously. But we're all adults here and I think we can handle ourselves in frank discussions over controversial topics, without community enforcement guidelines enabling someone to clamp down on the community because they personally didn't like what was said.

+1 on all of that.

I have seen where people who try to force other people to agree to their point of view get very insulting when people dispute them. They would get rather forceful which is why some people have not returned to the forum. Much was lost there, especially about posting trees on an AAR which then received 6 pages of comments with no action in the game which drove his opponent nuts!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 241
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 7:04:00 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Things are going swimmingly here, apparently.

I vaguely recall making a comment years ago noting the civil and relatively sophisticated behavior of the forum members here, compared to other strategy and gaming rooms. There were spirited disagreements from which came no resolution, compromise, etc. Eventually the parties involved simply agreed to disagree, and moved on with some humor and a change of subject, and that was it.

There was also an air of self-reliance regarding finding answers to questions. Someone asks a question and they're either given an answer or pointed to where they can find the answer. In the latter case that person should then be able to look for and discover the answer for themselves, learning a lot more than they initially bargained for in the process. But responding with the notion that their question instead be answered then and there, simply because they asked it, is annoying. I agree that Alfred could be coarse at times but I always valued his knowledge - though by no means is he the only knowledgeable person in the forums - and whatever objective response you got from him was solid.

I don't know that I'm making a point here. I guess I'm trying so say that I don't want to see this forum descend into the politically correct stupidity we see poisoning our society. Blatantly insulting and deliberately demeaning behavior should not be tolerated. Obviously. But we're all adults here and I think we can handle ourselves in frank discussions over controversial topics, without community enforcement guidelines enabling someone to clamp down on the community because they personally didn't like what was said.

I personally liked what you said.

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 242
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 7:28:20 AM   
tolsdorff

Then too think, if only, back before this started, the rules-infringing image of a vagina-fruit was removed and a warning was left on that 'now gone' topic too keep it civil, most, if not all, of this drama could have been avoided.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 243
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 8:01:52 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

Then too think, if only, back before this started, the rules-infringing image of a vagina-fruit was removed and a warning was left on that 'now gone' topic too keep it civil, most, if not all, of this drama could have been avoided.
warspite1

But that suggests that all, or indeed most, of 'this' has happened because of one image. That is not the case. There are a number of strands to all of this.

There was nothing uncivil about the picture, there was nothing uncivil about the pin-up art. There was nothing uncivil about the depiction of 'Kali'. Its not about civility, but it is about the changing times that we live in and Matrix decision to adopt the Derby House Principles.

Australian Beauties (in the GD forum) and Things to Ponder (in this) fell foul, in Matrix eyes, of what the Derby House Principles are trying to achieve.

We may agree with these principles, disagree or shades in between, but Matrix have made their decision, and we have a choice as to whether we respect that decision and go along with it or not (in which case, like DD696 we leave).

The question of civility or otherwise comes with the banning of an individual and has been discussed heavily over the last few days (so I'm not adding anymore to that). We will have an answer from Erik soon on whether he will 'cut the Gordion Knot' as has been suggested or not. But whatever decision is taken, hopefully that will be the last word on that and as others have said, we can then all move on.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 244
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 8:11:10 AM   
tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

There was nothing uncivil about the picture, there was nothing uncivil about the pin-up art. There was nothing uncivil about the depiction of 'Kali'. Its not about civility, but it is about the changing times that we live in and Matrix decision to adopt the Derby House Principles.

I couldn't agree more.

Let's hope we can all move on soon, with or without Alfred.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 245
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 8:22:16 AM   
Ian R

It won't just be without Alfred.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 246
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 8:38:51 AM   
littleike

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

It won't just be without Alfred.

Me too but new users don't knew him as we that haved the time in the years to appreciate his knowledge.
The risk that someone treated with rudeness at his first attemps to ask something
will return nomore is real.

Many of users here think it will not be a great loss because the help Alfred give to the knowledge
of the game is far superior to all the rest giving their grognard attitude.
But how many who never have seen a wargame and are not expert could grow if only they will not be given the time to
look around. Many expert players here has been always kindly with unskilled who asked here.

I understand why the moderators want this site to be the more inclusive they can.
I have well in my mind that more people come here more WitpAE copies are sell, the more
the game is supported the more a new game will be developed first or after.
This will be a good thing for all us.

How may we not take in consideration this side of the story!!

Look at what is happening now. Site is talking about Alfred and the community is divided
between them who defend him and others who think he has sometime crossed the line.

I have always been glad if i have seen a word from him saying:

Well if so many think so maybe sometime i has been a bit rude so i will take it into account. Go all we on and close the question.

I think there will be a standing ovation from this.

But what is he doing?

Nothing!! and i think that he is reading every word of this forum.

Again the Zarathustra super man attitude " you look high and i look down because i am just high"

Everyone can make a mistake from either side of the barricade and there is a hand here to shake and go forward. I have seen it very well.

Hope this could happen.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 247
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:00:07 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

warspite1

But that suggests that all, or indeed most, of 'this' has happened because of one image. That is not the case. There are a number of strands to all of this.

Australian Beauties (in the GD forum) and Things to Ponder (in this) fell foul, in Matrix eyes, of what the Derby House Principles are trying to achieve.

We may agree with these principles, disagree or shades in between, but Matrix have made their decision, and we have a choice as to whether we respect that decision and go along with it or not (in which case, like DD696 we leave).

The question of civility or otherwise comes with the banning of an individual and has been discussed heavily over the last few days (so I'm not adding anymore to that). We will have an answer from Erik soon on whether he will 'cut the Gordion Knot' as has been suggested or not. But whatever decision is taken, hopefully that will be the last word on that and as others have said, we can then all move on.

Could you please stop repeating yourself. I chastised you for gaslighting Truegrit, and your response was to personally attack me as being "stupid" and "mouthing stupidities" (*may not be an exact quote, but stupid was in there a couple of times). Were you deliberately trying to escalate the situation?

How about you back down and apologise for insulting Truegrit and I? Did it ever occur to your offensive language in this thread is part of the problem here, not part of the solution?

Now, quite separately, message to Erik:

Warspite personally attacked me on this thread - by referring to me as stupid and belittling my posts in a disparaging way, etc. Apparently I showered him with stupidity or something. He attacked first. I have just given him a shot back across the bows.

In my view, there is no need for you to get involved, or spend time on it. We'll sort it out. I don't want you to ban him, I want him to keep posting, so I can puncture his pomposity balloon again.

On the other hand, if you don't want this sort of robust exchange here, just say so*. I won't trouble you again.

[*And in accordance with your stated policy, that rather means you need to ban Warspite, because he attacked first.]

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 248
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:08:37 AM   
Zovs

What? Scratching my head on this exchange. I did not see any one calling someone “stupid” maybe I missed something, I don’t get it.

But I am just a DAT so what do I know lol.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 249
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:24:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

What? Scratching my head on this exchange. I did not see any one calling someone “stupid” maybe I missed something, I don’t get it.

warspite1

Very simple:

I asked Trugrit a question.

Ian R decided he didn't like the manner of the question and that I was 'gaslighting' and 'imposing' my view (see post 181)

I said I thought that was nonsense. I can't see how I was imposing a view by asking a question, nor do I really understand the reference to 'gaslighting'.

Now Ian R has decided that I am repeating myself, even though I was simply giving my opinion on a comment by tolsdorff.

I think that is it?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/20/2022 9:47:14 AM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 250
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:30:23 AM   
Orm

Been an interesting thing to follow this thread.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 251
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:36:21 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Very simple:

Ian R decided he didn't like the manner of the question and that I was gaslighting and 'imposing' my view (see post 181)

I said I thought that was nonsense. I can't see how I was imposing a view by asking a question, nor do I really understand the reference to gaslighting.

Now Ian R has decided that I am repeating myself, even though I was simply giving my opinion on a comment by tolsdorff.

I think that is it?

You're quite right Warspite, it was "talking nonsense" rather than "stupid". And yes you did gaslight truegrit, even though you are denial about it.

Same same, still an insult, and on Erik's stated policy, you personally attacked first.

Up to Erik what happens next.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 252
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:46:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Very simple:

Ian R decided he didn't like the manner of the question and that I was gaslighting and 'imposing' my view (see post 181)

I said I thought that was nonsense. I can't see how I was imposing a view by asking a question, nor do I really understand the reference to gaslighting.

I think that is it?

You're quite right Warspite, it was "talking nonsense" rather than "stupid". And yes you did gaslight truegrit, even though you are denial about it.

Same same, still an insult, and on Erik's stated policy, you personally attacked first.

Up to Erik what happens next.

warspite1

Thank-you for clarifying.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 253
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:47:01 AM   
Zovs

Well I don’t see any attack here, but I was in the Army and was called far worse then nonsense. So I still don’t see any attacks.

I’ll have to look up what gaslighting means, it’s not in DATs vocabulary.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 254
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:50:14 AM   
Zovs

Well I read the definitions and the only ones I liked and understood were the gas lamp ones, the others were too complicated for us DATs.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 255
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:53:22 AM   
Ian R

So was I (inafntry), which is why I suggested I'd deal with warspite and sort out his pompous ad hominen posts by myself.

But that does not seem to be the preferred way forward here.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/20/2022 9:54:24 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 256
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:53:41 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Well I read the definitions and the only ones I liked and understood were the gas lamp ones, the others were too complicated for us DATs.
warspite1

This is what one website said:

In the vernacular, the phrase “to gaslight” refers to the act of undermining another person’s reality by denying facts, the environment around them, or their feelings. Targets of gaslighting are manipulated into turning against their cognition, their emotions, and who they fundamentally are as people.

Sadly, I don't know what a DAT is either, but maybe I am one because I can't relate the above to me asking a question of another forum member.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 257
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:57:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

So was I, which is why I suggested I'd deal with warspite and sort out his pompous ad hominen posts by myself.

warspite1

Ian R, I am not sure what you mean by preferred way. If you believe I have broken forum rules then please report me. I don't believe I have, but then, I am not a moderator.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 258
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 9:58:06 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

warspite1

In the vernacular, the phrase “to gaslight” refers to the act of undermining another person’s reality by denying facts, the environment around them, or their feelings. Targets of gaslighting are manipulated into turning against their cognition, their emotions, and who they fundamentally are as people.

Sadly, I don't know what a DAT is either, but maybe I am one because I can't relate the above to me asking a question of another forum member.

Do you need to have your offensive language to truegrit quoted back to you?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 259
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 10:00:39 AM   
Zovs

DAT

In the Army the crunchies (infantrymen) and mechs (mechanics) used to lovingly (or at least we thought) called us Dumb Assed Tankers or DAT for short.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 260
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 10:04:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Do you need to have your offensive language to truegrit quoted back to you?
warspite1

No, but thank-you. My post and question can be found in post 175

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 261
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 10:05:14 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

So was I, which is why I suggested I'd deal with warspite and sort out his pompous ad hominen posts by myself.

warspite1

Ian R, I am not sure what you mean by preferred way. If you believe I have broken forum rules then please report me. I don't believe I have, but then, I am not a moderator.

I don't run around reporting people. I fight my own battles.

That's probably a reason, after 21 years, I don't feel I fit in here anymore. The corporate policy has gone full nanny-state, with ... [I'm leaving it to Erik to post my analysis of the Alfred banning... he has my permission to publish my PM].

Oh well, it's their website. They get to run it as they see fit.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 262
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 10:06:12 AM   
warspite1

quote:

DAT

In the Army the crunchies (infantrymen) and mechs (mechanics) used to lovingly (or at least we thought) called us Dumb Assed Tankers or DAT for short.
warspite1

Ah

Dumb Assed Tankers. I freely admit to the first two words as a description of me, but I was never a tanker

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 263
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 10:44:56 AM   
Yaab

Damn, this thread made me nostalgic.

Feldherrnhalle:
PzB, Nemo

The Jedi Younglings Monument:
MarkShot, N.N.

Dome des Invalides:
Chemkid, Alfred

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/20/2022 12:44:56 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 264
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 11:53:55 AM   
actrade

After looking through the myriad of threads regarding moderation and Alfred, it comes down to this:

1. There is a vocal minority here who deem themselves the "guardians of knowledge" on the inner workings of WiTP:AE, admittedly a very complex and deep game. They feel they have the right to tell players, many of them new, that they don't know anything, read the manual closer and in some instances, have resulted to unprovoked insults when they just as easily could simply have chosen not to respond to these posts at all. Psychologists call this term a "Spring boarder," which means someone who pushes down on a spring board to elevate themselves, the person/persons put someone down in order to create themselves in the image of 'other' or 'better' than their victim.

2. Then there is the silent majority, who simply want to play the game, engage in discussions on how to play better, understand the game better, doing what human beings do by asking questions that you find on most other forums. They haven't memorized the manual yet and don't have 10+ years of experience with the game. Go take a look at the WiTE2 forums, which is also a quite complex game IMHO, but is much more scalable in terms of AI assistance and less micro managing. I was quite shocked at the difference between the two boards after picking up WiTP:AE for $16 over the holidays and coming over to these forums.

3. Finally, you have a company who realizes things have gotten out of control and have decided to more rigorously enforce a long-existing set of standards of decorum (along with new standards) and is being vilified for doing so. The vocal minority "gatekeepers" are now threatening to leave and in some cases, highlighting their own self-importance and loss for the community if they make good on their threats. All of this smacks of classic narcissism.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 265
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 12:20:04 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

After looking through the myriad of threads regarding moderation and Alfred, it comes down to this:

1. There is a vocal minority here who deem themselves the "guardians of knowledge" on the inner workings of WiTP:AE, admittedly a very complex and deep game. They feel they have the right to tell players, many of them new, that they don't know anything, read the manual closer and in some instances, have resulted to unprovoked insults when they just as easily could simply have chosen not to respond to these posts at all. Psychologists call this term a "Spring boarder," which means someone who pushes down on a spring board to elevate themselves, the person/persons put someone down in order to create themselves in the image of 'other' or 'better' than their victim.

2. Then there is the silent majority, who simply want to play the game, engage in discussions on how to play better, understand the game better, doing what human beings do by asking questions that you find on most other forums. They haven't memorized the manual yet and don't have 10+ years of experience with the game. Go take a look at the WiTE2 forums, which is also a quite complex game IMHO, but is much more scalable in terms of AI assistance and less micro managing. I was quite shocked at the difference between the two boards after picking up WiTP:AE for $16 over the holidays and coming over to these forums.

3. Finally, you have a company who realizes things have gotten out of control and have decided to more rigorously enforce a long-existing set of standards of decorum (along with new standards) and is being vilified for doing so. The vocal minority "gatekeepers" are now threatening to leave and in some cases, highlighting their own self-importance and loss for the community if they make good on their threats. All of this smacks of classic narcissism.

Do you want to accuse any one in particular of alleged "narcissism", or just leave it as a general smear?

Let me put that another way - you have just made a generalised smear attack on a "undefined" group of posters, accusing them of suffering a mental disease which is identified on the DSM IV. So, are you feeling good about yourself right now, eh? Nice and smug about calling people mentally ill?

Did it occur to you that there are, statistically speaking, very likely many members of this forum who have over the years, sought mental health therapy, for issues ranging from classic depression,, to military service induced PTSD.

You just smeared every single of the one with your genarilased attack.

Have you no shame?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 266
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 12:41:19 PM   
Edmon

Right, the free pass is officially over, frankly because this thread is getting out of control.

Any personal attacks past this point or anywhere else on this forum, for that matter, are going to be actioned.

Everyone has had plenty of time to say their bit and/or work out the issues of the past.

If the subject of a post is someone else, I would ask you to think very carefully as to it's appropriateness for a forum about video games.

Regards,
Edmon.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 267
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 12:45:34 PM   
Ian R

Good Night Edmon.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 268
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 12:53:40 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

1. There is a vocal minority here who deem themselves the "guardians of knowledge" on the inner workings of WiTP:AE, admittedly a very complex and deep game.

Curious choice of words. An alternative term would be "an expert".

quote:

They feel they have the right to tell players, many of them new, that they don't know anything, read the manual closer and in some instances, have resulted to unprovoked insults when they just as easily could simply have chosen not to respond to these posts at all.

Making low effort or downright lazy posts and expecting others on the forum to "do your homework for you" is grounds for pushback from the community in my opinion.

Being told to read the manual is a legitimate response when the information being sought is in the manual.

quote:

Psychologists call this term a "Spring boarder," which means someone who pushes down on a spring board to elevate themselves, the person/persons put someone down in order to create themselves in the image of 'other' or 'better' than their victim.

Completely unfamiliar with this phrase, and from a quick search of academic literature "Spring board(er)" in the psychological context only seems to appear in contexts not really germane to the present discussion.

quote:

Then there is the silent majority, who simply want to play the game, engage in discussions on how to play better, understand the game better, doing what human beings do by asking questions that you find on most other forums. They haven't memorized the manual yet and don't have 10+ years of experience with the game. Go take a look at the WiTE2 forums, which is also a quite complex game IMHO, but is much more scalable in terms of AI assistance and less micro managing. I was quite shocked at the difference between the two boards after picking up WiTP:AE for $16 over the holidays and coming over to these forums.

Worth recognising they're significantly different games, with notable differences in approach and nearly a decade apart in terms of release. I'd also point out that the WITE titles have had a Steam release, which would suggest a much wider player base.

Based on any number of factors I'd be careful before drawing comparisons between the two.

quote:

See, you were close there.

Fell down the old trap of defaulting to personality characteristics.

It's going to be a fundamentally flawed approach if you're considering what is essentially intragroup conflict (and the wider group dynamics) with the lens of individual personality factors.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 269
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/20/2022 1:19:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Hi all,

I've been a member here for 19.5 years ... and a MOD on the WITP and then AE forums for 6-7 years (roughly Feb 2006 - Aug 2012) ... my interest has been pretty focused on WITP and AE :D ... outside of that, I've been a historical wargamer for zillions of years. Board games, computer games, miniatures and even role-playing.

When David made me a MOD in 2006, he didn't ask me or even tell me, I woke up one morning and I was a MOD ... and I tried hard to wiggle out of it, but David never relented. He was a good MOD trainer.

If I had an issue, I would PM the person and discuss the matter. I think 9 times out of 10 or 19 or of 20, that solved the issue. MODs didn't have banning powers back in those days ... but in the 6.5 years I was a mod, if I had an serious issue, I would escalate to David and he would make the call. I think 3 people got perm bans and maybe 6 got 1 week bans. So we were pretty "gentle" in those days.

David did tell me his standards for the forum were "Your grandmother should be able to come here and be comfortable". I don't think we always enforced that, but that was the vision.

Of course, I was dedicated to the WITP and AE forums only, so that meant I could get really close to the people in those forums ... I lived there along with them. And that probably helped a lot. Well, I had already been a member of the WITP for 4 years before becoming the MOD.

As Erik said, no one is perfect.

As to females on here. I knew (in the internet sense) RhondaBrn ... and she and I got a little personal for a while (not meaning "romantic personal") but she had an off grid power system and I was building one, so she gave me the benefits of her wisdom regarding design and issues based on her experience. So, I think a female can be successful here, though in general wargaming has been a male activity over most of my history in the hobby. When I go to wargame conventions, there are females there, though in much smaller numbers, unless there is a significant role-playing presents at the con.

Erik's been around a long time here and I trust him to make things right and help us transition to the level of "decency" that David really envisioned for this place from the start. It isn't a new idea.

Thank you Joe, I think this is a good note on which to close this thread. I think in some regards, understanding has improved as a result of this discussion.

A few key points to everyone:

1. As I've explained in the first post and elsewhere, we are actively monitoring and will be enforcing the forum rules. The "waiver" for discussions in this thread is over.

2. Enforcement will be fair and neutral, there are no favorites here.

3. You will get a warning referencing the issue before a ban if you cross the line. Thread locking will be used if needed, but we prefer that you police yourselves in terms of acknowledging the rules and removing any content that is over the line.

I appreciate the input in this thread. I hope everyone understands at this point what kind of place we would like this forum to be and I hope you all feel comfortable continuing to post here on those terms. As I said earlier, I think 99% of previous posts in this forum are well within those bounds. Keep it civil, no personal attacks, keep it family-friendly. As Joe quoted above from Dave's original wishes for the forum, we would like this to be a place your grandmother, your wife, your daughter, or any of your kids or grandkids would be comfortable browsing - and if they did, they would learn a lot about wargaming, history and the collegial sharing of information by gamers interested in those subjects.

If you have any concerns that require moderation, please PM me and/or Edmon, or e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/20/2022 1:26:04 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI