Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2021 7:47:12 AM   
lenna0428

I'm reading Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. It is based on a true fraud happened in Silicon Valley.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3091
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2021 10:31:42 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL:
I really liked the biography about Goebbels by [German historian] Peter Longerich. I plan to read his biography about Himmler too.

Started Peter Longerich's Heinrich Himmler: A Life. Excellent stuff so far.

I am gaining a better understanding. The SS were originally guards (20s and early 30s). To understand the difference with the other much bigger (in theory 10:1 ratio) paramilitary organisation SA: the SA would protect a meeting, the SS would protect the speakers and VIPs of that meeting (and party HQs too). Himmler was working in the party's propaganda (yes, that Goebbels' thing later) department at Munich HQs, therefore he had to arrange, plan meetings here and there. Part of his job then was deploying the [SS] thugs here and there, to protect the speakers and VIPs. But to do that he needed some sort of authority. And the title or rank of this authority (= send 10 thugs to Augsburg on monday) was precisely the infamous "Reichsführer-SS" thing. In fact he started as someone else's deputy. Later that someone else quit that job.

So it all started in the party's propaganda department.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3092
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2021 8:16:07 AM   
lenna0428

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3093
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/8/2021 6:28:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just ordered Tower of Skulls (Frank). This apparently is the first in a trilogy that will cover the Asian-Pacific war. Frank is the author of the excellent Guadalcanal and so I have high hopes for this. This first tome covers 1937-42 and so should contain much on the Sino-Japanese war, something I know little about. Should be here before the end of the week.

warspite1

This arrived today. A couple of chapters in and.... yeah, this is a serious book. Looking forward to devouring this.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3094
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/8/2021 10:17:34 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: lenna0428

I'm reading Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. It is based on a true fraud happened in Silicon Valley.

Theranos? I saw a wonderful documentary about that fiasco.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to lenna0428)
Post #: 3095
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/10/2021 4:53:20 PM   
jhyden

quote:

The Letters of the Younger Pliny
-translation and introduction by Betty Radice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Radice

(excerpt from the title page)
Pliny was born in late A.D. 61 or early 62, the son of Lucius Caecilius of Comum. He probably had tutors at home before continuing his education in Rome; there he came in closer contact with his uncle, the polymath Elder Pliny who, on his death in the eruption of Vesuvius which destroyed Pompeii, left the Younger Pliny his estate, having adopted him as a son. Gaius Plinius Luci filius Caecilius Secundus, as he was there after known, began his career at the Bar when he was eighteen, and specialized in cases of inheritance. He managed to emerge unscathed from Domitian's 'reign of terror', even being appointed an official at the Treasury. In 103 he was awarded a priesthood in recognition of his distinguished public service, and was prominent in several major prosecutions. His final senatorial appointment was to represent the Emperor Trajan in Bithynia and Pontus, where he died probably in 113. He was given the consulship at the early age of thirty-nine, and was married three times. His nine books of personal letters (a social commentary on his times) were selected by Pliny himself and were published in his lifetime, while his official correspondence with Trajan was published as a tenth book after his death.

Links:

✔ The Elder Pliny https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

✔ Mt. Vesuvius - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vesuvius#Eruption_of_AD_79
✔ Emperor Domitian - https://www.britannica.com/biography/Domitian

✔ What is a Roman Consul? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_consul
✔ Emperor Trajan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan
✔ Where is Bithynia and Pontus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bithynia_and_Pontus

-best wishes to all ~

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jhyden -- 10/10/2021 5:20:04 PM >

(in reply to lenna0428)
Post #: 3096
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/10/2021 5:51:00 PM   
jhyden

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhyden

quote:

The Letters of the Younger Pliny
-translation and introduction by Betty Radice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Radice

(excerpt from the title page)
Pliny was born in late A.D. 61 or early 62, the son of Lucius Caecilius of Comum. He probably had tutors at home before continuing his education in Rome; there he came in closer contact with his uncle, the polymath Elder Pliny who, on his death in the eruption of Vesuvius which destroyed Pompeii, left the Younger Pliny his estate, having adopted him as a son. Gaius Plinius Luci filius Caecilius Secundus, as he was there after known, began his career at the Bar when he was eighteen, and specialized in cases of inheritance. He managed to emerge unscathed from Domitian's 'reign of terror', even being appointed an official at the Treasury. In 103 he was awarded a priesthood in recognition of his distinguished public service, and was prominent in several major prosecutions. His final senatorial appointment was to represent the Emperor Trajan in Bithynia and Pontus, where he died probably in 113. He was given the consulship at the early age of thirty-nine, and was married three times. His nine books of personal letters (a social commentary on his times) were selected by Pliny himself and were published in his lifetime, while his official correspondence with Trajan was published as a tenth book after his death.

Links:

✔ The Elder Pliny https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

✔ Mt. Vesuvius - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vesuvius#Eruption_of_AD_79
✔ Emperor Domitian - https://www.britannica.com/biography/Domitian

✔ What is a Roman Consul? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_consul
✔ Emperor Trajan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan
✔ Where is Bithynia and Pontus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bithynia_and_Pontus

BOOK ONE
Letter #1 - To Septicius Clarus

You have often urged me to collect and publish any letters of mine which were composed with some care. I have now made a collection, not keeping to the original order as I was not writing history, but taking them as they came to my hand. It remains for you not to regret having made the suggestion and for me not to regret following it; for then I shall set about recovering any letters which have hitherto been put away and forgotten, and I shall not suppress any which I may write in (the) future.

🌞

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jhyden -- 10/10/2021 5:52:32 PM >

(in reply to jhyden)
Post #: 3097
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2021 7:02:33 PM   
TheFjordFox

I'm reading it in Norwegian, and I'm not sure how it translates exactly, but I picked up "Panzer Warfare On The Eastern Front" in the grocery store of all places, and have been hammering at that lately.

(in reply to jhyden)
Post #: 3098
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/19/2021 9:16:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Anabasis of Alexander by Arrian. I had read (maybe 3 or 4 times already) Xenophon´s Anabasis but never this one, the descent upon Asia that actually worked.

(in reply to TheFjordFox)
Post #: 3099
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/4/2021 11:41:26 PM   
RangerJoe

I am not sure where else to put this but I just saw this:

quote:

Enjoy holiday pricing from now until December 31, 2021. Naval Institute Press is offering 50% off list price and free shipping on all books.

Offer applies to individual orders only. Offer does not extend to retailers, wholesalers, or bulk orders.

Clear the Decks and Punk's Trilogy are excluded from this offer.

https://www.usni.org/press/books

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 3100
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/12/2021 7:12:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Reading the complete works of Lucian of Samosata (one of the best satirists in world literature, from the first century AC) and Antonio Gramsci's famous Prison Notebooks (the whole thing, he talks about circa 2.000 different topics ).

EDITED: Lucian lived in the second century (AC), apologies

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 11/12/2021 7:47:58 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3101
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2021 12:16:06 AM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading Capitalism on a Ventilator: The Impact of COVID-19 in China & the U.S. by Lee Siu Hin. It is an informative book but I should have read it last year when it was first published.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 3102
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/15/2021 1:23:59 PM   
mainsworthy

just finished "the Eden paradox" the title did not do it justice, it was one of the best written stories i have ever seen, amazing, but its for sci fi buffs rather than old steam punks like you guys, not about human wars but still a good read

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 11/15/2021 1:24:50 PM >

Post #: 3103
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2021 12:09:00 PM   
Niederrheiner

I'm reading books about my home in WWII - "Operation Plunder"/Tim Saunders, "The Rhine Crossing"/Andrew Rawson, "Onslaught on Hitler's Rhine"/Patrick Delaforce, "Die Luftlandung"/Johann J. Nitrowski

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 3104
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2021 3:43:41 PM   
DingBat

Just finished these books:

Both are very good, but very troubling, particularly the one on Iraq.

(in reply to Niederrheiner)
Post #: 3105
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/22/2021 4:27:42 PM   
AmyUnderwood

Charlotte Link "Sisters' Home"
John Marrs "Passengers"
Now - Chris Whitaker "We Start at the End"

Post #: 3106
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/22/2021 8:41:47 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading Josephine Baker and the Rainbow Tribe by Matthew Pratt Guterl. It is about someone whose existence I was unaware of until recently.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to AmyUnderwood)
Post #: 3107
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/17/2021 4:26:30 PM   
warspite1

Hot on the heels of Tower of Skulls, I've got a thing for the Far East at the moment. Has anyone given this a go yet? I'd be interested in any thoughts on it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 3108
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/17/2021 4:28:20 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainsworthy

just finished "the Eden paradox" the title did not do it justice, it was one of the best written stories i have ever seen, amazing, but its for sci fi buffs rather than old steam punks like you guys, not about human wars but still a good read

I will give this one a look. Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 3109
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2021 8:39:45 AM   
aerosky

The U.S. Air Force once launched a series of exercises called "A Day Without Space" in order to figure out how to conduct air operations without space capabilities. For example, in the famous Red Flag military exercise of the United States Air Force, the two imaginary enemy units of the U.S. Army in space warfare, namely Air Force 527 Squadron and 26 Squadron, will set up GPS and satellite communication jamming facilities in the exercise area. Pilots need to relearn how to use inertial navigation to determine the position of the aircraft. This method of positioning by initial position and measured acceleration does not rely on satellites and compasses, and can be used when the GPS system is down.

In the future, no space, no win

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3110
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2021 8:41:30 AM   
aerosky

At present, the combat operations of the armed forces of various countries increasingly rely on the support of the space combat system. The military uses space-based technology for navigation, reconnaissance, weather forecasting, intelligence collection, communications, command and control, and precise targeting.

In the future, no space, no win

(in reply to aerosky)
Post #: 3111
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/8/2022 1:17:06 AM   
cpdeyoung

The Panzer Killers

Daniel P. Bolger

I have been reading about World War Two for 65 years. I think this is the most interesting book on the subject I have read. It is not a history of the war, but of a small subsection, dealing with the US. 3rd Armored Division ("Spearhead"), under the command of Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose. The author is a History Professor at NC State University, just up the road from me. He got his Ph D in History from the University of Chicago. I checked his student's comments and rankings, and he is very popular. I do not doubt it. The book is a page turner.

The book is 321 pages long, not counting the appendices, notes, and index. This allows for a good amount of detail about day to day operations. I learned things I did not know, and I knew a bit coming in. This can be attributed to the author's other credentials - he retired as a Lieutenant General in the US Army, and commanded an Armor Division in combat himself. His experiences show as he discusses the operations of the 3rd AD. Gen. Rose was one of highest ranking American officers killed by enemy action. People who should know have called him the finest armor division leader we had. Rose led from the front, always, and was killed by a MP-40 fired from the tank commander's hatch of a panzer. Rose died just weeks before the war ended in Europe, and Bolger makes clear that he was lucky to last as long as he did. The man seems not to have known fear. You know his end is coming but it still hurts. Bolger makes clear that Rose was a very private man but I felt I understood some of his motives. Bolger gives some very interesting sketches of other officers who served with Rose, and his superiors. I thought these were balanced.

I only found one error, and that was in a photo caption. I find captions are a weaker spot for editing, perhaps because they come later in the publishing cycle.

I recommend this book.

Chuck

PS: I have edited this to reflect the correction posted by Bob Cross pointing out higher ranking officers KIA. The error was mine, not Dr. Bolger's. Thanks.

< Message edited by cpdeyoung -- 1/8/2022 2:13:04 AM >
Post #: 3112
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/8/2022 1:43:16 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Gen. Rose was the highest ranking American officer killed by enemy action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Bolivar_Buckner_Jr.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3113
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/8/2022 4:21:26 PM   
RFalvo69

I'm halfway in "Soldiers of Destruction" by Charles W. Sydnor Jr. It is the story of one of the evilest units in all WWII, the Third SS "Totenkopf" Division, from its outgrowth from the "SS Totenkopfverbande" and the concentration camp guard system to the end of the war.

It is, above all, the story of his commander, Theodor Eicke, until his death in Russia in 1943. It is a wonderful book that, while being obviously very grim, can also be unexpectedly funny. Eicke was obsessed with "his" division and his attempts to get only the best for his troops sometimes make him resemble Wile E. Coyote. Eicke cons, pleads, rages & whines - usually for Fate to intervene and thwart his machinations. (after all, the worst thing that can happen to Evil is to be laughed at). Totally suggested!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3114
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/8/2022 7:31:43 PM   
ncc1701e

Not a new book but I am re-reading When Titans Clashed, the new revised edition.

Still a great book.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3115
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2022 7:00:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Not a new book but I am re-reading When Titans Clashed, the new revised edition.

Still a great book.
warspite1

It certainly is.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3116
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2022 11:06:09 AM   
RFalvo69

I'm re-reading "An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson. I read it a few years ago and, for some reason, I found it overrated. Now I decided to give it another chance and I'm really liking it. The style is full of gallows humor. It spurred me to finally learn "GG: War in the West" (I'm trying to write a AAR of "Torch to Tunisia" - my very first one ever! - with a style partially inspired by this book; it is down there in the AARs subforum).

I don't know why the first time I was not impressed. Maybe I didn't understood that it was a story of the American Army and not of the whole theatre. Now I have already bought the two remaining in Atkinson's "Liberation Trilogy".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3117
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2022 12:05:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Just ordered Tower of Skulls (Frank). This apparently is the first in a trilogy that will cover the Asian-Pacific war. Frank is the author of the excellent Guadalcanal and so I have high hopes for this. This first tome covers 1937-42 and so should contain much on the Sino-Japanese war, something I know little about. Should be here before the end of the week.

warspite1

This arrived today. A couple of chapters in and.... yeah, this is a serious book. Looking forward to devouring this.

warspite1

Got up to the invasion of Malaya in this brilliant book. So now its time to break out Churchill and Australia (Freudenberg) to read alongside.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3118
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2022 2:14:35 PM   
Delaware

Hi Warspite
Regarding A War of Empires, I have not gotten to it yet, but there is quite a buzz about it on Twitter from specialists in that area. The author himself is quite a good guy also.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3119
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI