Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Search on Limited Arcs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Search on Limited Arcs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 4:11:06 AM   
BananaConvention

I've been playing with search arcs rather than just a random search. What does the green search arc slice mean, and what do the black ones mean? I'm trying to narrow the focus of searches to improve chances of finding stuff but I can't figure out the colors.
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 4:36:11 AM   
Platoonist

Blue and green vector lines represent the morning and afternoon search phases. Black shows when the designated search areas are covered in both phases. It all depends on how many planes you have patrolling. The light blue lines represent ASW.

(in reply to BananaConvention)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 9:43:47 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Blue and green vector lines represent the morning and afternoon search phases. Black shows when the designated search areas are covered in both phases. It all depends on how many planes you have patrolling. The light blue lines represent ASW.

Also, I believe, the distance you mission the search...Shorter distance, better coverage within the designated area. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 10:32:37 AM   
Phoenix100

The explanation, given above, is definitely hard to find, I've found, which is why it's nice to be able to ask in here and get a quick response. :) But, in case there are other things in there you might be interested in, the search arcs colours explanation, and a few other things, are in the file called 'Interface Addendum' in the Manuals folder of the main install folder.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 10:59:50 AM   
BBfanboy

If the compass directions in degrees are mysterious to you, look at the top right hand corner of the game map - the compass rose there should show you what directions the various degree settings correspond to.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 5
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 1:04:16 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

The explanation, given above, is definitely hard to find, I've found, which is why it's nice to be able to ask in here and get a quick response. :) But, in case there are other things in there you might be interested in, the search arcs colours explanation, and a few other things, are in the file called 'Interface Addendum' in the Manuals folder of the main install folder.

Good call! Search arcs were a feature added in a later update, which is why it didn't make into the manual. In the same folder is another file, "Pilot Management Addendum", and that too is definitely worth a read (also not in the manual).

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 1:06:43 PM   
actrade

I believe numbers of aircraft, distance and width of arc all play a role in coverage. If you want higher coverage, add aircraft, shorten the search distance and lower the arc to the degree where you get the coverage you want.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 2:02:19 PM   
BananaConvention

So I read the interface addendum but it does not talk about the BLACK arcs or lines. It only discusses green and blue things. Can we get confirmation that the BLACK lines are good and not bad? I usually equate black lines with something not being available or unattainable.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 8
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 2:13:46 PM   
RangerJoe

Altitude also makes a difference. Seeing a lone destroyer in the ocean is tough at a higher altitude but the dive bomber pilots can use that as a direction indicator to find the Kido Butai . . .

So higher altitude gives you more ocean to see at a glance but too high leaves the smaller TFs a greater chance of not being seen. The best search altitude overall seems to be 6k feet although dive bombers with a naval strike mission as well as the search mission still would need to be flying at the dive bombing altitude for the strike mission. The Scouting dive bombers would be 50% strike and 50% search. With two US carriers operating together, only one carrier would search. I just use 30% search for my dive bombers . . .

ASW missions are best flown at the lowest altitude possible if you actually want to hurt them as it give the sub less time to react and dive out of danger. One US pilot claimed to have sunk a Japanese cruiser, he bombed it and it sank in less than half a minute! He got chewed out for bombing a US sub!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 3:08:13 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: BananaConvention

So I read the interface addendum but it does not talk about the BLACK arcs or lines. It only discusses green and blue things. Can we get confirmation that the BLACK lines are good and not bad? I usually equate black lines with something not being available or unattainable.

Black lines mean that arc slice is getting both morning and afternoon coverage. So, I guess you can say it's a good thing if you have the planes to spare for it.

Post #: 10
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 5:48:44 PM   
Lowpe

As I understand it, only the afternoon search is done at medium to long range say greater than 8 hexes, although that exact distance is a guess on my part.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 1/22/2022 5:49:02 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 11
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 7:12:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

As I understand it, only the afternoon search is done at medium to long range say greater than 8 hexes, although that exact distance is a guess on my part.

Doesn't the setting you use for the squadron range determine how far the search goes?
I thought the 8 hexes or so was the figure for a thorough search (the aircraft can see to both sides of the arc) while 12 hexes was about the limit for an effective search (the arc visibility in the 8-12 hex range is not complete, but enough to be worthwhile)?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 12
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 7:19:46 PM   
Lowpe

There isn't enough time for the plane to fly out and complete the long distance search in the am phase only....

Another hidden frustration in naval search arcs, is the that the plane might return after spotting an enemy task force, and not give you the full length search. More planes searching that arc make it more likely to search the entire distance albeit at a less effective rate the greater the distance.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/22/2022 7:26:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

There isn't enough time for the plane to fly out and complete the long distance search in the am phase only....

Another hidden frustration in naval search arcs, is the that the plane might return after spotting an enemy task force, and not give you the full length search. More planes searching that arc make it more likely to search the entire distance albeit at a less effective rate the greater the distance.

Ah! Thanks, I did not catch that your 8 hex comment referred only to the Morning Phase. That makes perfect sense, given how long some patrol aircraft can remain airborne.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 14
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 2:43:10 PM   
Moltrey

Seems a bit silly, but I dug out my old 360 degree protractor to be a quick aid to arcs, just laying on my desk next to the manual, etc.
After a while you won't need it anymore.

There are some good debate threads on Arc vs. No-Arc, Air Search vs. ASW (quite different in execution) and how they work. Don't have the reference handy, perhaps the other guys do, it's an eye-opener.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 4:22:43 PM   
BananaConvention

BLUF (Bottom line up front):

Should I bother with search arcs or do let it go random? In both of my PBEM battles I am using exclusively search arcs for both naval search and ASW patrol. Am I wasting my time?

Oberleutnant Joachim "Jochen" Heiden
3./JG51 "Mölders"

Currently looking for Allied PBEM opponents

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 16
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 4:28:56 PM   
the1henson

You’re not wasting your time. It makes perfect sense to focus your vision on the places you really need to see.

One thing I don’t do, however, is set arcs for carriers. Maybe someone will come let me know I’m screwing up in a big way on that, but I haven’t detected negative consequences after I stoped that practice.

Post #: 17
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 5:06:48 PM   
Trugrit

You are correct. You should never use search arcs from ships that are at sea.
You set random arcs at sea. The game searches out to four hexes automatically.

From land I use both random and/or search arcs depending on what I’m trying to do.
I use the search arcs for very long range detection and I get almost 100% detection
on any enemy task force that stops movement in the zone.

I bring multiple planes into a single sector and search both day phases.
I use a lot of aircraft when I do this.

Note: B-17’s work very well for both naval search and recon.

I’ve shown my methods in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4985690
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4985693
Read the whole thread.

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 18
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 6:30:35 PM   
RangerJoe

B-17Ds at 1000 feet for ASW gives a good search area . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 19
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 6:53:46 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

B-17Ds at 1000 feet for ASW gives a good search area . . .

Yep,

I use the B-17 for ground recon a lot as well. Ground hexes not base hexes.
They are tough planes and can soak up a lot of punishment as long as you don’t go real low.

One of the bad things about the recon of a ground hex is that if the recon plane does
not see an enemy ground unit in the hex it will fly over an enemy base hex instead
and get shot up. B-17’s work good in this role.

If the recon plane sees an enemy ground in the hex it will stick there.

You don’t get real good recon results with the B-17 but once I know
that the enemy is in the hex I can go back with a dedicated recon plane
at high altitudes.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 9:41:17 PM   
RangerJoe

The B-17D has the best range and the weakest defenses. Much like the LB-30, they are both best used for Naval Search and ASW.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 21
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/23/2022 10:12:07 PM   
the1henson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

You are correct. You should never use search arcs from ships that are at sea.
You set random arcs at sea. The game searches out to four hexes automatically.

From land I use both random and/or search arcs depending on what I’m trying to do.
I use the search arcs for very long range detection and I get almost 100% detection
on any enemy task force that stops movement in the zone.

I bring multiple planes into a single sector and search both day phases.
I use a lot of aircraft when I do this.

Note: B-17’s work very well for both naval search and recon.

I’ve shown my methods in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4985690
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4985693
Read the whole thread.

Great stuff.

It seems to me what year it is matters, especially for the allied player. Early in the war, there are situations when you know where the opponent's task force is or should be, but you're resource-constrained from the method you describe by the relative lack of airframes in 41/42, and you're just trying to keep your first convoys from hitting a cruiser or carrier raid. In those cases, a wider search area may be more important than fidelity within the search, especially if the arcs are large enough that any task force would spend multiple turns/segments in the coverage area. Later, however, there are assets available to amp up the fidelity.

It's always situational with the decisions in this game. I've learned not to just use "standard settings" unless I've first thought about the mission. Your method is a perfect illustration.

< Message edited by the1henson -- 1/23/2022 10:13:07 PM >

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 22
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/24/2022 12:29:46 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I play vs. the AI and I use random search almost exclusively (I'll define arcs from continental bases sometimes). It seems to work just as well as tweaking the arcs. I'd say it depends on what you like to spend time on. If you have the time and like that kind of micromanagement, then do it. If you'd rather focus on other things than tweaking search arcs, I don't think you'll suffer for it.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 23
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/24/2022 1:22:27 AM   
RangerJoe

If you are searching from Sydney, define your arcs. Those Whirlaways at 1,000 feet work good in the short range Air ASW saturation to assist ASW TFs.

― Julia Child

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 24
RE: Naval Search on Limited Arcs - 1/24/2022 2:21:30 AM   
Macquarrie1999

I also don't bother with arcs usually. I normally don't have enough planes to cover all I want with arcs and I find if it is random it finds things better.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Search on Limited Arcs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI