Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Suggestion wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> RE: Suggestion wish list Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/9/2021 7:16:52 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khanti

I don't like the idea of "war against trucks". Every time artillery shells, it hits truck-like equipment. I've checked values in editor. All trucks have 30 points as ranged targets. I suggest adding some 10-20 points to infantry types.

But in the other hands, it is difficult to hide trucks from artillery. They are fragile and harder to bury.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 61
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/9/2021 12:30:45 PM   
JonJonJon

After playing for a couple of days, two things really that it's screaming for:

- pbem ++
- options for key binding. I'm looking at you, WASD map scrolling. Annoyed me in SE too if I recall.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 62
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/9/2021 2:39:59 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

quote:

I don't like the idea of "war against trucks". Every time artillery shells, it hits truck-like equipment. I've checked values in editor. All trucks have 30 points as ranged targets. I suggest adding some 10-20 points to infantry types.

But in the other hands, it is difficult to hide trucks from artillery. They are fragile and harder to bury.

That true but this isn't ww1 type saturation bombardments;)

On a similar note, where are the replacements for Horseys???

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 63
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/9/2021 11:14:31 PM   
Khanti

GE Captured tanks should have reinforcement type set as Medium Tank not Halftrack or perhaps ReinforcementType2 as Halftrack. It tends being attached to wrong units anyway.

There should be not possible to reinforce artillery units with light-medium mortars (range 2). Maybe add new unit reinforcement type "HEAVY MORTAR" (like Heavy Artillery). They have range of 5.

I've experimented with 75% direct range for units (1 hex) and that's OK with using tanks now. But mortars can still easy kill them during these engagements.

< Message edited by Khanti -- 12/10/2021 6:04:14 PM >

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 64
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/10/2021 8:00:37 PM   
JonJonJon

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonJonJon

After playing for a couple of days, two things really that it's screaming for:

- pbem ++
- options for key binding. I'm looking at you, WASD map scrolling. Annoyed me in SE too if I recall.

Plus, the last AI settings (difficulty & speed) being applied when starting a new scenario.

(in reply to JonJonJon)
Post #: 65
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/11/2021 6:30:41 AM   
Rosseau

I would humbly suggest (to the players) that they consider Battlefront's Combat Mission 2 Final Blitzkrieg as a tactical companion game to this one - putting the player down in the trenches of what DC:AO so ably represents.

There are 79 scenarios to be found - actually a small battle count, compared to CMBN's hundreds - but the Bastogne and Chaumont scenarios certainly set the mood. I would just add that one will not find 48 Panthers in any battalion in this game. And there's the rub - compared to DC:AO, the micromanagement can still be irksome.

Certainly, with these two games, my "wishes" have come true. But back to the Suggestions List, with my apologies...

(in reply to JonJonJon)
Post #: 66
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 6:25:42 AM   
Khanti

My heretic thoughts:

Completely overhaul of kill system. Now there is something like:
attacker has modified (experience, terrain, etc) value of 50, defender has modified value of 100, so it's 50:100 which can ended as KILL.
I'd like to see in such circumstances RETREAT, not kill.

My suggestion is that kill should be possible ONLY when attacker has greater modified value of offensive, than defender's modified value of defense. All other circumstances should be just retreat.

I don't know if it is doable anyway...

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 67
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 6:34:54 AM   
Khanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

quote:

Some units have value "Rear Area backbench" set as TRUE. Trucks have it as true. But trucks also have "TargetChance%" as 30, so when attacking unit containing trucks fight with defending unit containing mortars or guns (ranged weapons) - trucks are being killed during attack.
Solution is to remove trucks from units and make separate transport units consisting only trucks...or loose those trucks one by one...

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 68
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 7:54:25 AM   
GazBot

Hot Key for FOW is my biggy so far!!!!

Cheers

Gaz

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 69
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 8:14:28 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

Some units have value "Rear Area backbench" set as TRUE. Trucks have it as true. But trucks also have "TargetChance%" as 30, so when attacking unit containing trucks fight with defending unit containing mortars or guns (ranged weapons) - trucks are being killed during attack.
Solution is to remove trucks from units and make separate transport units consisting only trucks...or loose those trucks one by one...

Do the presence of trucks act as decoy, protecting mortars&guns ? A targeted truck may be a safe mortar.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 70
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 8:38:05 AM   
Khanti

My PzJager Abt attacked and scored a hits and won engagement.
Yet some loony howitzer managed to kill truck.
A legit kill generally (179:43)

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 71
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 9:56:25 AM   
Khanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

On a similar note, where are the replacements for Horseys???

In Wacht Am Rhein there are not set replacements for horses. But there should be at least in "random" replacements table.
I would love to have more random replacements anyway, just for fun ;-)
+1 random for every equipment would be great - even those Tiger II ;-)
I did it partially for my own version and it' great.
PS: If dates are set as 1 to 90 that means from 1 to 90 turn?

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 72
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/12/2021 2:44:58 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

Trucks are a very tricky problem to model. Trucks are valuable primarily to move troops quickly to a danger spot or exploit a breakthrough. But trucks are so vulnerable that they dropped off infantry near the front lines and then departed to safe areas until needed again. In the meantime, infantry walked into the frontlines. But if you modeled it, you end up with additional counters cluttering up the map. As you mentioned, we probably can separate out truck battlegroups...assuming we can get 50 power points out of them...but then we end up with the same counter clutter and the penalty of lower staff/troop ratios.

I have wondered if trucks are too vulnerable in close assaults. Whether they should be considered absent from assault combat with the assumption that they have departed for safe areas in the rear. Still vulnerable to artillery but not to direct fire??? I haven't really thought it through or looked at it closely but is seems truck losses might be a little high.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 73
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/16/2021 5:34:26 PM   
Khanti

I'd like to make second Infantry Reinforcement Type as "secondary infantry" to make sure that good replacements first will go to first rate infantry units and best units will not get as priority those secondary types replacements (security, nachts, volkssturm). Ideally secondary replacements should go to rear guard units.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 74
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/17/2021 8:41:27 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

- Please add a way to order units to move directly to the selected hex (not the fastest route...). E.g. shift + Right click (like in many other games).

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 12/19/2021 8:29:19 AM >

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 75
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/17/2021 10:13:09 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

Maybe I've found a bug? In scenario Arracourt, a bridge is displayed between hex 0,3 and hex 0,4 but it doesn't seem to work?
EDIT: It doesn't seem to have an effect for units, while supply seems to flow across normally.

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 12/17/2021 10:30:51 PM >

(in reply to JacquesDeLalaing)
Post #: 76
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/19/2021 12:39:32 AM   
CGGrognard

I would like to see the Strategic Map look like maps used during that time. The current Strategic Map has too many colors and information that it makes it difficult to read.
Or another option would be the ability to zoom into portions of the Strategic Map.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

Post #: 77
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 7:48:35 AM   
Khanti

Aufklarung/Recon units should have more recon points than standard infantry/armored regiments. I've replaced Sdkfz 251 in Aufklarung with Sdkfz 250 and gave the last one 5 recon points (+4 in editor) and some BMW with +2 recon. Something like this should be done ;-)

There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 78
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 7:56:13 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

Aufklarung/Recon units should have more recon points than standard infantry/armored regiments. I've replaced Sdkfz 251 in Aufklarung with Sdkfz 250 and gave the last one 5 recon points (+4 in editor) and some BMW with +2 recon. Something like this should be done ;-)

It is an interesting change but carefull that boosting recon ability will also nerf the defense.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 79
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 9:22:36 AM   
beyondwudge

I'd love a way to load a saved game in-game, i.e. without surrendering to the main menu first.

I'd like it mainly for when I'm learning a new mechanic, like repeating the same action (like an artillery barrage) many times in a row or trying different variations out.

< Message edited by beyondwudge -- 12/21/2021 9:24:34 AM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 80
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 2:43:06 PM   
Khanti

Pz Gren Btn has around 220 recon points (many troops inside).
My version of Auf Abt has around 260-280 points.
Standard Inf Btn has around 80 points.
Standard Tank Btn around 80.
Standard Recon Sqd / Cavalry Sqd aroun 80-100 - should have more than Tank Btn !
Ranger Battalion has 120 (because of many Jeeps, which now has 2 recon points).

American "Recon" Squadrons have the same amount of points as their "Infantry" Battalions. Which is just not, as it should be.
I would replace their trucks (0 points) with Jeeps (2 points). Their low values is caused by smaller amount of troops (every troop has 1 point).

< Message edited by Khanti -- 12/21/2021 6:26:47 PM >

There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 81
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 6:23:24 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

I love the fact that air strikes cause traffic points.
But it made me wonder: Shouldn't artillery strikes also cause traffic points? :)

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 82
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/21/2021 6:31:49 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: JacquesDeLalaing

I love the fact that air strikes cause traffic points.
But it made me wonder: Shouldn't artillery strikes also cause traffic points? :)

Bingo.....H&I Fire is called that for a reason;)

< Message edited by carll11 -- 12/21/2021 6:32:48 PM >

Post #: 83
RE: Suggestion wish list - 12/22/2021 6:29:30 AM   
JacquesDeLalaing

It would also solve the issue that currently supply can flow so freely even if enemy troops sit adjacent to the road. If you could use artillery for interdiction, you could interdict supply even if your unit is not positioned on the road directly, but it would be more of a gradual affair rather than a "completely open/completely blocked" thing. And it would come at a cost (supply & readiness loss for artillery).

One could even go as far as to have ordinary ranged fire actions cause traffic points?

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 84
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/24/2022 5:25:31 PM   
FlyingEagle

Overall, gameplay and atmosphere are great. I really like and recommend this game. It's a big improvement over older operational Bulge games. For me, it hits the nail. It reminds me a lot of the original "The Ardennes Offensive" game from SSG in 1996 or 1997 ("TAO2"), only better :)

The recon, weather, LOS and combat systems are deep and full of choices and possible outcomes, the map and unit representation is gorgeous. You can really immersive yourself to be there in that desparate offensive in the woods and hills of the Ardennes in winter...

Where I'd like to see improvements:

AI
- Most important: Higher priority for defending supply sources/bases and victory locations.
There are often only road block units in the victory hexes while stronger units lingering around in hexes nearby. In many small and medium scenarios I won too easily just by capturing the supply source and weakening the enemy decisively.

- Much less unit splitting.
The AI splits far too many units into task forces / Kampfgruppen. I doing so they cover a larger front line but they also loose nearly all offensive punch and weaken their defensive power.
There are well known phrases from Frederik the Great: "He who tries to defend everything/everywhere, defends nothing at the end!" and from Heinz Guderian: Concentrate/mass your forces, do not spill/splash them ("Klotzen, nicht kleckern!").

- Arty units move much too often. I mostly play the German side and my fear of the American firepower is nearly gone. They show their opportunity fire power too rarely because they are always busy moving around.

Victory Levels
- Higher victory levels for singleplayer, at least in the smaller and medium scenarios. I won a major victory in every scenario I played at the first attempt. It wasn't easy per se and it was fun anyway, but it didn't felt quite right.

A visualization for arty range.
At least for the short-ranged German arty it's a constant matter for the player: How far do I have to move them to be in firing range the next turn? And no, counting hexes is no fun at all ;)

An option to show only arty units in the combat window.
It's a mess sometimes when many direct fire units are also in range but I only want to choose from my arty units.

Post #: 85
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/24/2022 7:35:38 PM   
James Taylor

Get rid of the different branches same equipment designations.

Really, halftracks, opel trucks, RSOs, etc. that are SS, Weh., and Luftwaffe are all the same. Differentiation makes it difficult to distribute the equipment to needful organizations.

Needless micromanagement!

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, TO&E restrictions don't help either. I spend way too much time in the "Micro" screen.

< Message edited by James Taylor -- 1/24/2022 7:40:05 PM >

SeaMonkey

(in reply to FlyingEagle)
Post #: 86
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/25/2022 6:59:47 AM   
ruzen

Hello cant wait for this to release on Steam in the meantime learning lots of things about the game.
One small thing I wished this game has just to create immersion
Wished there were some randomized minutes when showing the time. Just for the aesthetics in-game or just in reports. The hour will stay the same ofcorse

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 87
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/25/2022 10:32:26 AM   
Goodenough

quote:

Overall, gameplay and atmosphere are great. I really like and recommend this game. It's a big improvement over older operational Bulge games. For me, it hits the nail. It reminds me a lot of the original "The Ardennes Offensive" game from SSG in 1996 or 1997 ("TAO2"), only better :)

The recon, weather, LOS and combat systems are deep and full of choices and possible outcomes, the map and unit representation is gorgeous. You can really immersive yourself to be there in that desparate offensive in the woods and hills of the Ardennes in winter...

Where I'd like to see improvements:

AI
- Most important: Higher priority for defending supply sources/bases and victory locations.
There are often only road block units in the victory hexes while stronger units lingering around in hexes nearby. In many small and medium scenarios I won too easily just by capturing the supply source and weakening the enemy decisively.

- Much less unit splitting.
The AI splits far too many units into task forces / Kampfgruppen. I doing so they cover a larger front line but they also loose nearly all offensive punch and weaken their defensive power.
There are well known phrases from Frederik the Great: "He who tries to defend everything/everywhere, defends nothing at the end!" and from Heinz Guderian: Concentrate/mass your forces, do not spill/splash them ("Klotzen, nicht kleckern!").

- Arty units move much too often. I mostly play the German side and my fear of the American firepower is nearly gone. They show their opportunity fire power too rarely because they are always busy moving around.

Victory Levels
- Higher victory levels for singleplayer, at least in the smaller and medium scenarios. I won a major victory in every scenario I played at the first attempt. It wasn't easy per se and it was fun anyway, but it didn't felt quite right.

A visualization for arty range.
At least for the short-ranged German arty it's a constant matter for the player: How far do I have to move them to be in firing range the next turn? And no, counting hexes is no fun at all ;)

An option to show only arty units in the combat window.
It's a mess sometimes when many direct fire units are also in range but I only want to choose from my arty units.

I'm with FlyingEagle, agree wholeheartedly with all points.

Just finished Wacht am Rhein scenario, terriffic experience but would love to see the AI defend important towns and villages better. Too often VP locations were empty.

Artillery is deadly especially in large concentrations. A visual range option would be nice. I sometimes found Artillery units obscured from the combat window so an Artillery only option would be good.

One point of my own is that in the main WaR scenario it is possible to push along the map edges, North and South which prevents the Allies from entering along those edges. I don't think anything can be done with the current game but a German no go zone of 3 or 4 hexes along North and South map edges would force the Germans to commit to a more historical defence in those areas.

I also loved SSG's Ardennes Offensive, but this game is something special. The scale is amazing, the map detail and size is great. A truly fantastic game!

(in reply to ruzen)
Post #: 88
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/25/2022 9:30:46 PM   
Marc1314

sorry repeat post deleted

< Message edited by Marc1314 -- 1/25/2022 9:39:21 PM >

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 89
RE: Suggestion wish list - 1/25/2022 9:33:18 PM   
Marc1314

sorry forum error made repeat post

< Message edited by Marc1314 -- 1/25/2022 9:38:32 PM >

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> RE: Suggestion wish list Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI