Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in cheek aar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in cheek aar Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:07:06 AM   
56ajax

When do the Tank divs start disbanding into brigades?

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 91
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:10:14 AM   
RedJohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

When do the Tank divs start disbanding into brigades?

I believe there's a 20 or 30% chance for them to reform into brigades if they're routed, and I think every tank is converted turn 32 or something.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 92
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:14:17 AM   
RedJohn

Turn 7 start. I did move my cavalry around though, to encircle some Germans and to move out of a potential pocket - insofar as I could of course.

Slow grinding at Leningrad, no attacks towards Moscow, but some pushing north of Gomel. Gomel itself also fell.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 93
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:38:57 AM   
RedJohn

Turn end. Pretty much the only movement was north of Gomel, and the cavalry in the south. I've deployed more useless troops - such as NKVD units brought in from TBs - to the south also.

I should also mention since I forgot to last time, Rostov was given 8 rifle divisions as reinforcements last turn in order to build up it as a city fort. I probably won't keep them all there, but Rostov is certainly a worthwhile investment as for whatever reason it's CVs seem to balloon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 94
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:43:11 AM   
RedJohn

A mighty 600 CV, despite most of it's divisions being 50-70% TOE.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 95
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:51:13 AM   
RedJohn

OOB turn 7. Central front is made an assault HQ - dunno if I mentioned that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 96
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:28:51 PM   
RedJohn

A setback, I've managed to let me cavalry get encircled. I was hoping to save the ones from the potential pocket, but may have doomed the entire army instead!

We've called BOBKIN to save us.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RedJohn -- 1/30/2022 4:31:35 PM >

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 97
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:32:19 PM   
RedJohn

Bobkin saves the day... For now. Our brave cavalry have also decided of their own accord to march in and cut off the enemies armored forces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 98
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:33:10 PM   
RedJohn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 99
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:33:53 PM   
RedJohn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RedJohn -- 1/30/2022 4:34:25 PM >

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 100
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:35:01 PM   
RedJohn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 101
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:37:39 PM   
RedJohn

It's BOBKIN with the steel chair! A lot of units encircled, undoubtedly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 102
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:40:31 PM   
Stamb

That is very impressive! Panzers seems to be useless in comparison with motorized divisions. Full pz division route while 1/3rd! of moto divisions just retreats.

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 103
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:43:05 PM   
Stamb

Also there was no artillery SU in first two battles. Might turn into hold for a Model.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 104
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:44:11 PM   
RedJohn

The panzer was isolated, so it'll rout, but your statement is still correct insofar as motorised are weirdly stupid strong vs panzers which tend to fail massively against enemy armored. They'll deal casualties, absolutely, but will take tons of their own.

Also: rostov fort.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 105
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:47:17 PM   
RedJohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamb

Also there was no artillery SU in first two battles. Might turn into hold for a Model.

Probably, yeah. I'd have just hit it again with another 2 tank divisions though, so.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 106
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:47:37 PM   
Jango32

Isn't the answer obvious regarding Panzer performance, even against the supposedly obsolete T-26s and BTs? The Red Army is (not) overpowered.

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 107
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:48:11 PM   
RedJohn

Rokossovosky hits another panzer. Tauchpanzers are amphibious tanks I believe?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 108
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:52:05 PM   
RedJohn

Another tank battle, though the ratio is not in our favour here sadly. Still we hit more Panzers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 109
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 4:54:45 PM   
Stamb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jango32

Isn't the answer obvious regarding Panzer performance, even against the supposedly obsolete T-26s and BTs? The Red Army is (not) overpowered.

There was a chaos in command and a lack of ammo for a tanks (maybe not only ammo and maybe not only for a tanks) for the Soviets during `41 (if I recall correctly what I read).

While in game there are no issues with supplies so players can refit and supply units easily. And there is no chaos as player has complete control over whole army thus organizing things as he wants.
I am very happy that someone decided to push game mechanics to its limit and show current balance problems.

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/30/2022 4:55:35 PM >

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 110
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:10:27 PM   
Stamb

And while we are talking about balance.

From the very start of the game and even now (after playing for few months) I can not understand how motorized division can perform much better than a panzer division?

Panzer division attacks enemy mech/armor formations -> losses it owns tanks -> becomes useless with 50-60% TOE after few attacks/defense actions.
While motorized divisions barely takes any damage. How armored cars can perform better than a tanks?

So either panzer divisions are under performing heavily or motorized are too OP. We have to agree that until `43 Germans had pretty bad tanks. So maybe panzer divisions are represented correctly.

Sorry for my rambling comrade RedJohn, but I think this is the topic where we can discuss such things.

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/30/2022 5:24:41 PM >

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 111
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:21:59 PM   
Jango32

This is probably a result of how brittle AFVs are in the game. Panzer divisions were very resilient and powerful formations both on the offense and on the defense not because of how many tanks they had, but because of the tanks and all the other TOE elements working together as combined arms.

In the game though, they are best used for flipping hexes and bullying infantry divisions. Engaging enemy tank or mechanized divisions, even if they are equipped with allegedly obsolete T-26s and BTs, will knock out lots of German AFVs regardless.

< Message edited by Jango32 -- 1/30/2022 5:23:05 PM >

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 112
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:29:34 PM   
Stamb

quote:

This is probably a result of how brittle AFVs are in the game. Panzer divisions were very resilient and powerful formations both on the offense and on the defense not because of how many tanks they had, but because of the tanks and all the other TOE elements working together as combined arms.

In the game though, they are best used for flipping hexes and bullying infantry divisions. Engaging enemy tank or mechanized divisions, even if they are equipped with allegedly obsolete T-26s and BTs, will knock out lots of German AFVs regardless.

Exactly. Remember that there was also flying artillery in support for them, called Luftwaffe. And now open any AAR: "Bombers to Berlin, Stukas to reserve or also to Berlin so they would not use any supply."

Indication that you can not (if you are not a madman) use panzers in order to make a breakthrough should be already a red flag.

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/30/2022 5:30:18 PM >

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 113
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:31:32 PM   
Stamb

As I told previously - I would happily trade all panzer divisions to a mech one. Hell, I would even agree for 3 panzer for 2 motorized.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 114
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:44:20 PM   
RedJohn

quote:

quote:

There was a chaos in command and a lack of ammo for a tanks (maybe not only ammo and maybe not only for a tanks) for the Soviets during `41 (if I recall correctly what I read).

While in game there are no issues with supplies so players can refit and supply units easily. And there is no chaos as player has complete control over whole army thus organizing things as he wants.
I am very happy that someone decided to push game mechanics to its limit and show current balance problems.

It's important to note that despite my experience I'm still a pretty mediocre player. My multiple, 100% Loss rate as Germans proves that I think lmao.

But the Soviets are in my eyes so broken that I can basically do whatever I want - if I abandon the south - and just win anyway.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 115
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 5:58:22 PM   
vvs007

LOL :) As soon as we see a rare game (one of twenty AARs? or less?) when a Russian player understands the situation better, game mechanics, and just plays better ... immediately we hear screams: "oh my god ... balance!!! ... russian tanks destroy the germans 3 vs 1, not 20 vs 1 as we would like"... it's just ridiculous... :)

let's better talk about how 10 Messerschmits shoot down 100 fighters + 200 twin-engine bombers per flight. Or why Croatian biplanes are better than Soviet MIG3? and would like to understand where in WITE 2 - Germans 90 000 aircrafts historically produced throughout the war? All died in Africa and Normandy?:)

Would like to hope that a respected RedJohn will finally create close to the historical VVS 2.0 and show how the Luftwaffe was historically defeated. But something tells me that this game is coming to prompt end, as it usually happens with us if the blitzkrieg fails. :)

RedJohn good game, thank you!

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 116
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 6:04:45 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

As I told previously - I would happily trade all panzer divisions to a mech one. Hell, I would even agree for 3 panzer for 2 motorized.

Brought all this up about motorized units in my earlier AARs. Glad people are seeing this now :-)

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 117
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 6:06:37 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: vvs007

LOL :) As soon as we see a rare game (one of twenty AARs? or less?) when a Russian player understands the situation better, game mechanics, and just plays better ... immediately we hear screams: "oh my god ... balance!!! ... russian tanks destroy the germans 3 vs 1, not 20 vs 1 as we would like"... it's just ridiculous... :)

let's better talk about how 10 Messerschmits shoot down 100 fighters + 200 twin-engine bombers per flight. Or why Croatian biplanes are better than Soviet MIG3? and would like to understand where in WITE 2 - Germans 90 000 aircrafts historically produced throughout the war? All died in Africa and Normandy?:)

Would like to hope that a respected RedJohn will finally create close to the historical VVS 2.0 and show how the Luftwaffe was historically defeated. But something tells me that this game is coming to prompt end, as it usually happens with us if the blitzkrieg fails. :)

RedJohn good game, thank you!

This has been shown before, nothing new.

(in reply to vvs007)
Post #: 118
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 6:11:21 PM   
Stamb

quote:

Do you understand that with current balance it is almost impossible to win for the Axis when there are two players with the same skill AND Soviet player is playing for the win, thus retreating, not trying to play historically.
I have read all of the AARs in wite 2 on this forum (I have no access to the beta forum, or however it is called). And the only times when Axis was winning - it was due to a big difference in a skill, like HLYA vs somebody who plays Soviets for the first time and with motorization which is completely broken).

Check this topic:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5076008

In ideal world it should be 50%/50%.

quote:

This is also not normal and should be fixed. It current patch I it will be closed to a 30-40 BF models. Not sure where do you see such losses.
And while we are talking about Axis allies in the air - Soviet i16 planes are destroying Rumanians for example

I am nor Axis nor Soviet fanboy. I just want a balanced game so both players can have a chance of winning it. Who would even agree to play a side that can not (maybe it can in 10% - 20%) win a game?

(in reply to vvs007)
Post #: 119
RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in che... - 1/30/2022 6:14:29 PM   
Stamb

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Brought all this up about motorized units in my earlier AARs. Glad people are seeing this now :-)

At that time I had no idea about this amazing game. Unfortunately your message was not seen.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Red Army Is (Not) Overpowered - A tongue in cheek aar Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI