Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:00:54 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Always great to read your AARs Mike!

Thanks. I appreciate that. For some weird reason, I really like to make AARs.

Military and government work habit: document, document, then document some more.

I think there's a shred of truth to that statement, Joe. Having experienced both, that could be it.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 241
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:05:24 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I think delaying Yamato until Dec 1942 is the right move for Japan; I did that last game. I also halted Junyo even to bring Junyo/Hiyo in as a pair....I didn't see a need to accelerate them as USN unlikely to challenge KB in first 6 months. I also halted construction of most submarines except for half-dozen nearly complete float-plane subs

Doing all that allows you to accelerate all the CVs without adding additional Naval SY capacity....that gives you a large reinforcement of CVs just as the USN is also receiving CVs in 1943, and should keep the IJN competitive for longer

I did convert a bunch of Merchant SY capacity to Naval, bringing the Naval to 1501. I'm delaying the Yamato as you said. I'm also not accelerating any of the CVLs that come on relatively early either. Shinano is off. Taiyo is coming at a normal pace (for now). This is allowing me to accelerate all 6 of the Unryus and all 13 DDs that I can accelerate at this time.

With Mike's play style, I suspect I'm going to need it sooner rather than later.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 242
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:06:49 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I now see 95(!) fighters at Rangoon. After liberating Singapore, I plan on sending a couple of bombardment forces there to turn those fighters into scrap.

IIRC this involves entering the river mouth to get there, and I don't think BB's can do that.

Hmm, didn't know that. Never tried to bombard Rangoon before. I have most of the CAs in the SRA. They'll have a job to do when the time comes.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 243
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:10:48 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I think delaying Yamato until Dec 1942 is the right move for Japan; I did that last game. I also halted Junyo even to bring Junyo/Hiyo in as a pair....I didn't see a need to accelerate them as USN unlikely to challenge KB in first 6 months. I also halted construction of most submarines except for half-dozen nearly complete float-plane subs

Doing all that allows you to accelerate all the CVs without adding additional Naval SY capacity....that gives you a large reinforcement of CVs just as the USN is also receiving CVs in 1943, and should keep the IJN competitive for longer

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer here....other than your builds (plane and ship and economy) should synergize with your overall game goals.

Some JFBs can use the super heavies really well...others not so much.

I have mirrored your strategy Q-ball in the past, and also done the exact opposite building the super heavies and submarines -- both strategies can work or really anything between.

Same holds true with CS-CV conversions. Here though I prefer to leave CS as CS and stuff them with float fighters....worked really well for me thru 43 into 44 but in 44+ I think having Sams on board a bit better...but again it depends upon what the strategies and game situation is. It is a long conversion.

I agree with you, Lowpe. But it sure is fun to discuss it with everyone. I've always had good luck with the Yamatos in the past. It's just a new tactic to try out for me. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the CSs, but I have some time. I'm leaning toward converting Chitose and Chiyoda and leaving the other two. We'll see how the carriers fare in the early game.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 244
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:12:28 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

I now see 95(!) fighters at Rangoon. After liberating Singapore, I plan on sending a couple of bombardment forces there to turn those fighters into scrap.

IIRC this involves entering the river mouth to get there, and I don't think BB's can do that.

I addition to what I've said remember bombardment TF's can and will damage all production at a base.

Yep, but I'll willing to take that chance to get a chunk of the AVG on the ground. I can live with a damaged Rangoon.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 245
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:13:28 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer here....other than your builds (plane and ship and economy) should synergize with your overall game goals.

Some JFBs can use the super heavies really well...others not so much.

I have mirrored your strategy Q-ball in the past, and also done the exact opposite building the super heavies and submarines -- both strategies can work or really anything between.

Same holds true with CS-CV conversions. Here though I prefer to leave CS as CS and stuff them with float fighters....worked really well for me thru 43 into 44 but in 44+ I think having Sams on board a bit better...but again it depends upon what the strategies and game situation is. It is a long conversion

I can see the argument both ways. The CS Conversions are a whole subject to themselves! I can see the debate either way since they can be useful as CS and the conversion is very long, but they are clearly more useful in 1944 as CVL

Here we go!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 246
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 11:18:09 AM   
Mike Solli

Just to bring you up to date quickly...

I've got a couple of turns to post. Mike is busy at work and packing to move into his newly built house in a couple of weeks. Mike said he _may_ get a turn done by ~6 Dec, but maybe not. That's fine. I'm pretty busy now with the grand sons, and life in general. So, I'll post the turns and we can babble while Mike works through RL.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 247
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 12:42:23 PM   
btd64

Hey Mike, I'd still like to meet up sometime for lunch. Though it would have to wait until after Christmas....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 248
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 3:40:40 PM   
Mike Solli

Definitely, Brian. Life has been crazy busy lately. Grandkids are incredibly time consuming.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 249
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/21/2021 4:48:48 PM   
btd64

quote:

Definitely, Brian. Life has been crazy busy lately. Grandkids are incredibly time consuming.

Oh yeah, I do know about grandkids and time consumption....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 250
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/22/2021 2:27:32 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm, didn't know that. Never tried to bombard Rangoon before. I have most of the CAs in the SRA. They'll have a job to do when the time comes.

Again, IIRC all you have to do to find out if the BB's can't make it is to include them in the bombard TF and you get a message 'can't make target' or some such.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 251
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/22/2021 2:29:57 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Grandkids are incredibly time consuming.

quote:

Yeah, but what a way to spend time.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 252
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/22/2021 2:31:54 AM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

Grandkids are incredibly time consuming.

quote:

Yeah, but what a way to spend time.

Nothing beats it....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 253
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/23/2021 3:31:17 PM   
Mike Solli

Watching grandson #1 right now (every Tuesday, actually). He's taking a nap so I can update this AAR.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 254
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/23/2021 3:35:56 PM   
Mike Solli

16 Dec 41

Sub War

The Salmon caught and sank an xAKL with one of those rare working torpedoes.

The I-162 caught the PC Formalhaut sinking her in the southern SRA.

Off Makassar, the I-157 surfaced to finish off the xAKL Legazpi, not realizing she has her own deck gun. After a couple of minor hits from Legazpi, the I-162 submerged and slunk away leaving the Legazpi heavily burning.

5 Fleet

The Adak invasion force finally landed today. No enemy forces were present. We’ll liberate Adak tomorrow.

4 Fleet

The 61 Naval Guard landed at Nauru Island today and shock attacked and liberated it. The Naval Guard will re-embark and move to take Tarawa.

SE Fleet

The two crippled AMCs that were hit off Suva yesterday were staggering north in a feeble attempt to get away. The Vindicators hit Hokoku Maru sinking her. The Aikoku Maru needed no help and went down of her own accord later in the day.

Shortlands Island was successfully liberated today. The goal here is a fighter airfield in the short term with a long term goal of increasing it to level 4.

Tomorrow, we land at Rabaul.

SRA

Philippines: A sweep of Manila netted 4 of 5 enemy fighters for no loss. My intel sees only 2 enemy fighters in the Philippines. Enemy air power here is just about done. It’s time to move the remainder of the 23 Air Flotilla to SE Fleet AO and leave the air reduction of the enemy here to 5 Air Division.

There were 2 remaining Vildebeests (from Hong Kong) stationed in the Philippines that were continually harassing my shipping. I have a couple of DDs nearby to draw their attention. One was downed by flak today. We’ll see if the lone remaining TB does anything tomorrow.

Mindanao: Two tank regiments are at Cagayan and scheduled to attack tomorrow.

Malaya: My ground forces continue to flow south while the 3 Air Division continues to soften up the Commonwealth ground forces cut off and scattered around the countryside.

An unsuccessful para drop of Temuloh was snuffed out by the 22 Indian Brigade that was there. My intel failed me!

The Rest: Yet another xAKL was caught and sunk south of Mindanao by Nagara and her two accompanying DDs.

Near Tacloban, Kuma and 3 DDs found the two remaining Q boats and sank one. The other one is still out there somewhere.

The Aussies found the two Japanese BBs trying to scare off the enemy ships scattered around the southern SRA and mustered 3 Hudsons to attack them. They were unsuccessful.

Burma

Still no conflict. The AVG still is at Rangoon.

China

Movement and minor attacks here and there.

Other Stuff

Nothing new.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 255
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/23/2021 8:01:06 PM   
Mike Solli

17 Dec 41

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

Adak became Japanese without a fight and will begin building the airfield to level two, then forts to level 3, then port to level 3, then airfield to level 4. Those 36 engineers are going to be busy for awhile!

4 Fleet

The 2 Independent SNLF Company landed at Guam reinforcing the I/33 Regiment. Tomorrow, they’ll attack that thorn in the side rabble.

By the way, early on I set the Guards Brigade to attack Midway. I don’t plan on doing it, but if he gets intel on that, maybe he’ll send some reinforcements there. I have a line of subs between Midway and Pearl, just in case. Just some attempts to drive Mike nuts.

SE Fleet

The Rabaul invasion force completed its landing (144 Regiment, 15 Base Force & 35 JNAF AF Unit). The 35th starts over strength with 60 naval support attached. Nice! They will attack tomorrow.

Future invasion timeline:

Gasmata: 18 Dec 41
Finschaven: 19 Dec 41
Buna: 20 Dec 41
Pt. Moresby: 21 Dec 41

KB will be in the Coral Sea by 19 Dec 41 to clear the way and support the invasions. Also, the 4 Aobas are currently at the Shortlands with a full load of ammo (and torpedoes) should they be needed. None of the 6 TFs are spotted!

I suspect that if there are any Allied TFs in the area, they will hit the road when KB is spotted.

SRA

Philippines: I see 12 fighters at Bataan! It appears that Mike is reinforcing the fighter squadrons there. That’s outstanding! That’s more planes (and [somewhat trained] pilots) that won’t be available in more important theaters later. I’m pulling out the remainder of 23 Air Flotilla in a couple days and will leave the Nates (and eventually, Oscars) of 5 Air Division to finish them off. Nice experience for the IJAAF.

Mindanao: Successful attack at Cagayan:

Ground combat at Cagayan (79,89)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 1035 troops, 0 guns, 159 vehicles, Assault Value = 92
Defending force 2985 troops, 4 guns, 50 vehicles, Assault Value = 96
Japanese adjusted assault: 92
Allied adjusted defense: 25
Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Cagayan !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 5 destroyed
SOC-1 Seagull: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 7 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Allied ground losses:
627 casualties reported
Squads: 65 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 98 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 38 (38 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Assaulting units:
4th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
3rd PA Constabulary Regiment
3rd/101st PA Battalion
Cagayan USAAF Base Force
Mindanao Force Corps

Nice air units captured on the ground!

Malaya: Continued bombardment of the isolated British forces in Northern Malaya occurred. I’m not sure which rail line will be easier to clear. The eastern line has Temuloh occupied by an Indian Brigade, but I see them moving west to block the western rail line. Is it the infantry brigade, the AA unit or the base force, or all of them. Only time will tell. Two hexes north are the remnants of the 8 Indian and FMSV brigades, both in really bad shape and on the receiving end of multiple air bombardments daily. The 124 Regiment will arrive in their hex (from Kota Bharu) tomorrow and attack the day after. Hopefully, they’ll both be destroyed so I don’t have to worry about them anymore.

The hex to the NE of Malacca (still eastern rail line) has the remnants of the Mysore Battalion, the former Malacca garrison. They are being chased by the 91 Naval Guard, still a couple of days out. I hope the NG destroy them outright, but if not, I hope they retreat to the NW to Kuala Lumpur, on the western rail line. Either way, the NG will move to Kuala Lumpur to liberate that base.

If the Brits in Temuloh all move west to cut the western rail line, then I’ll perform another para drop to take that base. I think this is the best chance to open a rail line to Johore Bahru so the IG division can join the Singapore assault force.

33 Division is currently landing at Mersing and will march to Johore Bahru. When they (and IG Division) arrive there, there will be 4 divisions available to assault Singapore (along with 6 arty and a bunch of other stuff).

Everywhere Else: I noticed a nice pile of Dutch aircraft sitting in Batavia. I have no fighters to sweep them other than 18 Zeros at Singkawang, which would have to use drop tanks at extended range. That ain’t happening. I sent a daitai of Betties on a night raid. Only 5 showed up to the party but they destroyed a bomber on the ground while damaging another 4 bombers and a fighter. Tomorrow, a daitai each of Betties and Nells will attempt to hit them.

Burma

The AVG is still at Rangoon trying to (unsuccessfully) ambush my bombers.

China

Just maneuvering…

Other Stuff

I'm getting very close to launching my attacks on Merak, Oosthaven and Kaldjati. Once I have a foothold there, I can dump fighters and bombers at Kaldjati and suppress all the airfields, so I can begin to liberate the oil fields in the SRA. Just about all the invasion forces are loaded and at CRB, so it'll happen soon.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 256
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/23/2021 8:52:31 PM   
RangerJoe

Don't forget to have transports in TF set to have Midway as the final destination while they move elsewhere!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 257
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/24/2021 7:01:47 AM   
Yaab

Re xAKL Legaspi. Allied xAKLs should only have MGs at start.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 258
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/25/2021 12:04:17 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Don't forget to have transports in TF set to have Midway as the final destination while they move elsewhere!

Ahh, very sneaky.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 259
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/25/2021 12:04:48 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Re xAKL Legaspi. Allied xAKLs should only have MGs at start.

That's right. I forgot. The damage was minor.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 260
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 11/25/2021 12:55:24 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Ahh, very sneaky.

Just don't have escorts with short legs.

Also . . .

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 261
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/8/2022 6:25:34 PM   
hpalmer

where is taskforce Solli, the world wonders!?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 262
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/23/2022 1:51:20 PM   
Mike Solli

The war is back on, guys! Mike was busy these past few months with RL (work, holidays, having a house built and then moving in, and other stuff). I got the turn a week ago and almost got it done when our male cat, Mo, decided to have a urinary tract blockage. He was in and out of the vet clinic, but it ended up with him having surgery. He's good now and will come home Monday. I finally got the turn back to Mike this morning. It was a fun and eventful turn.

(in reply to hpalmer)
Post #: 263
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/23/2022 1:59:41 PM   
Mike Solli

18 Dec 41

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

The Adak invasion force is fully landed (7 Base Force and 5 JNAF AF Unit). Their 36 engineers will work on the airfield for starters. The 3 infantry battalions of 90 IR are fully loaded at Rashin but are still loading supply. Tentatively, they are scheduled to land at Adak, Umnak and Dutch Harbor. The last 2 are still tentative. We’ll see if Mike decides to offer any opposition up there. At any rate, once they do move out, it’ll be about 9 days steam to get there. Once Adak’s airfield reaches level 1 I’ll buy out some fighters and after level 2, they’ll get some naval search. Again, everything is tentative there. I have few assets available right now.

4 Fleet

So, the 2 Independent SNLF Company was going to show the I/33 IR how to take Guam, right? Yeah, right… The result was high disruption of the Marines and no losses. The slackers. Tomorrow, the IJA infantry will try for a shock attack. This is getting ridiculous. I’m going to take Guam even if it takes every last soldier of I/33 IR. (They withdraw in 164 days.)

SE Fleet

Landings continued at Rabaul. The Aussie 6” guns did good work badly damaging a couple of xAKs (Yusen-N and Husimi). They would both sink later in the day, one of them still carrying a 60% of the 7 Naval Construction Battalion. The rest of the invasion force landed successfully and took Rabaul. Fighters and Betty bombers were flown in to help secure the area.

Rabaul was liberated easily by 144 Regiment. Fortunately, that nasty Rabaul Det. Base Force with the nasty 6” guns was destroyed. The two infantry units were trashed and scurried off into the jungle, where they will eventually starve. The Betties stationed at Rabaul have a secondary mission of ground attack and will hasten their departure.

Oh yeah, there are 2 more ships that are burning furiously sitting in port. I hope they unload some of their supply before they sink.

There were successful landings at Gasmata. It will be liberated tomorrow. This is where I will station 11 Air Fleet HQ, with torpedoes. That will allow all the bases within 5 hexes of Gasmata to have torpedoes available. Then I won’t have to keep all my Betties in one basket.

Lots more going on here too. KB is currently 5 hexes east of Rabaul, and still unspotted. Tomorrow, they will move to a spot 3 hexes east of Woodlark Island. There they will secure the southern flank of the current operations and the upcoming invasion of Pt. Moresby.

The Pt. Moresby invasion force (4 ID and 1 Maizuru SNLF [garrison]) is currently 3 hexes NE of Lae. It will move to a point 2 hexes SW of Gasmata where the BB cover force (2 BB, 1 CL, 2 DD – currently at Gasmata) will join it. They will then move toward Pt. Moresby and arrive 2-3 days later.

There are also two small invasion TFs. The first will land at Finschaven tomorrow and the second will land at Lae in 2 days.

There are also 7 subs helping cover the southern flank.

There are a series of supply and fuel TFs headed toward Rabaul from Truk. Shipping will be allocated to move some of it to the newly secured bases in the area. I am also sending fuel and supply from Japan to replenish Truk. This is NOT something I plan on doing again. Future supply and fuel will come from the SRA.

SRA

Philippines: Dot Base Clean-up TF #1 invaded Laoag and will liberate it tomorrow.

Dot Base Clean-up TF #2 liberated Kudat.

5 Air Division HQ is landing so more of their planes can be based in Luzon. 23 Air Flotilla HQ and planes are moving to SE Fleet AO. 5 Air Division planes will take over the beat down of Bataan (and Manila and Clark Field while still enemy held).

About 15k troops are moving into Clark Field. While probably not enough to take it, they have 5 artillery units that will start wearing them down, along with the bombers. There are also an additional 6 heavy artillery units enroute from the liberation of Hong Kong. This additional artillery will arrive in a couple of days.

The recon regiment and an infantry regiment of 16 Division have arrived in Manila. The remainder of the division will arrive there over the next few days (it’ll combine as soon as everything arrives). 16 Division definitely can’t take Manila, but it’ll keep their attention.

I am in no hurry to take Luzon. They aren’t going anywhere. It’ll be good experience for the IJA bomber force.

Malaya: A 9 plane Zero sweep of Singapore met 9 Buffalos, shooting down 4 and damaging the rest at a cost of 1 Zero (and pilot) lost. Intel says 3 of the 5 damaged planes crashed. I see no fighters and 19 bombers in Singapore. I’ll continue the sweeps. Then, 59 Sallies plastered the airfield destroying 2 bombers and damaging another 3. There is still a little airfield damage so I know Mike’s not working on forts there today. The bombings will continue.

Over Georgetown, 18 Nates met a Buffalo and 2 Blenheim IFs, driving them off. I had moved my recon from there to Taiping (dumb mistake) so I don’t know what enemy aircraft are still there. I’ll continue the sweep and daily bombings.

The coup of the day was the 1 Raiding Regiment para drop and liberation of Taiping. The IG division is in strat mode and sitting in Alor Star. It will rail to Taiping tomorrow. The last hurdle is the liberation of Kuala Lumpur. That will allow them to rail down to Johore Bahru to join the Singapore Liberation Army, also known as the 25 Army.

One house rule prevents us from using small slices of units for invasions and air drops. Since I used a chunk of 1 Raiding Regiment in the para drop on Taiping, I can’t use it elsewhere while it’s there. I do have 3 Yokosuka SNLF available though. They both are sitting in Bangkok (other than the “liberators of Taiping”). The longest ranged transport is the Tina at 16 hexes, but Kuala Lumpur is 17 hexes from Bangkok. Ah well. I’m moving 3 Yokosuka SNLF to Kompong Trach today and will drop them on Kuala Lumpur tomorrow. Then, IG Division is off to the races (I hope).

25 Army is sitting in Johore Bahru waiting for IG division goofing off up north and 33 Division still unloading at Mersing. Once everything arrives, the assault force will be composed of:

25 Army HQ
IG Division
5 Division
18 Division
33 Division
1 Tank Regiment
6 Tank Regiment
4 Independent Engineer Regiment
15 Independent Engineer Regiment
23 Independent Engineer Regiment
3 Medium FA Regiment
18 Medium FA Regiment
3 Independent Mountain Gun Regiment
14 Independent Artillery Mortar Regiment
3 Mortar Battalion
5 Mortar Battalion

Java: I had set 36 Nells and 27 Betties on a night bombing raid on Batavia, where my intel told me there were 26 Dutch fighters and 58 bombers stationed. Exactly 5 Betties flew, killing a bomber and damaging 2 more and doing light damage to the airfield, which was easily repaired. This is just a delaying measure. I’m planning an attack on Merak and Kaldjati and then Oosthaven. I had mentioned this earlier but have changed around my forces slightly. I am also invading Tobali as a forward fighter and recon (and possibly light bomber) base. Here are the allocated forces:

Tobali:
III/143 IR
21 IJNAF AF Unit
25 IJNAF AF Unit
8 Field AF Construction Battalion

Merak:
21 Division
Yokosuka 4 SNLF (garrison)

Kaldjati:
56 Division
22 Air Flotilla HQ
1 JAAF AF BF
(This will obviously be where I station fighters and bombers to prosecute the air war.)

Oosthaven:
48 Division
2 Tank Regiment
8 Tank Regiment
3 Independent Engineer Regiment
21 Independent Engineer Regiment

Reserve to be sent where needed:
2 Division

More forces will be allocated later, but these are in the first wave.

Just about everyone is loaded and at or within a day’s steam of Cam Ranh Bay or Singkawang. They’ll head out tomorrow.

Other Areas: A small TF composed of CL Nagara and 2 DDs sank an xAKL and an AG in two separate attacks between Ambon and Saumlaki.

Two DDs caught another AG and sank her 4 hexes south of Kendari.

Those two small Japanese TFs (and others) were a concern of mine because of the possible presence of the Dutch and Asiatic Fleets. I soon found out where the Asiatic fleet was hiding.

I had sent two fleets to Ambon because of a presence of several small Allied TFs there. The first, composed of BBs Nagato, Fuso, Ise and Hyuga, with 2 escorting DDs, found 3 AMs there and quickly dispatched them.

Then, the second fleet of 2 CA and 5 DD bombarded Ambon doing nothing.

Next, the Asiatic Fleet, composed of Houston, Boise, Marblehead and 6 DDs showed up at Ambon and took on the BB TF! This event was basically volume of fire vs. weight of shell. I wasn’t too worried about the 6” and down shells (unless they hit my DDs or BB superstructure). It turned out Houston never hit anything with an 8” shell. Here’s the result:

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 9 (24-0-3-0) – damage from the superstructure hits
BB Fuso, Shell hits 2 (2-0-0-0)
BB Ise, Shell hits 9 (14-0-1-0) – damage from the superstructure hits
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 6 (1-0-1-0)
DD Asagumo (1-0-0-0)
DD Mikazuki, Shell hits (0-2-0-0)

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
CL Boise, Shell hits 7, heavy fires
DD Barker, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Edsall, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
DD John D. Edwards
DD Paul Jones, Shell hits 1
DD Parrott, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
DD Stewart, Shell hits 1

Of the surviving US ships, 3 are 2 hexes south of Ambon (probably Houston, Boise and Edsall) and the remaining 4 are 4 hexes south of Ambon. I don’t have any ships in the area that have enough ammo. At any rate, I don’t want to expose any smaller ships to the 8” and 6” guns. I have several subs in the area moving in hoping to get a shot at the damaged ships. The only carrier I have that has a remote shot at being in range of them is Hosho, and she has only 6 Kates and (15 Claudes) aboard. Her escorts don’t have enough fuel to pursue, so she’ll head back to Babeldaob to refuel and pick up Taiyo (12 Claudes, 12 Vals, 3 Kates) and probably Chitose (24 FP) then head out for more mayhem.

Burma

Still plodding forward.

I still see 92 fighters at Rangoon, undoubtedly the AVG. I’m sending some bombers on a night mission to piss them off.

China

Four bombing raids destroyed 26 infantry and 18 other squads.

There were various attacks.

Chuhsien was liberated unopposed. The 20 resources were undamaged.

Puching was also liberated unopposed.

Tsiaotso, in the north was also hit. The Chinese Corps barely held on, with the forts being reduced to 0. The attacking division and independent mixed brigade (IMB) were reinforced with another IMB and will attack again tomorrow. This base has 40 R and 40 LI, which I want to deny to the enemy. If I capture it intact, all the better!

The mountainous hex to the NE of Tsiaotso was also attacked and cleared of the enemy. Two divisions with artillery support cleared the mountains of 2 Chinese corps and a HQ inflicting heavy losses. They will pursue the remnants to the west to continue the rout.

Other Stuff

Phase II is beginning very soon. If you don’t recall, I still haven’t taken any oil producing bases. I want to decimate the Dutch bomber force. I think they’re mainly in Java now, which puts Miri, Brunei and Tarakan out of their reach. I’m loading the invasion forces for the first two today from CRB. They’ll load in a couple of days and take a few more to reach their targets. I also have 3x 10k supply TFs ready to head to Miri from CRB to start on the 150+ oil that needs to be repaired. I’ll keep the small supply TFs headed there every 10 days or so.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 264
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/23/2022 2:16:11 PM   
btd64

quote:

The war is back on, guys! Mike was busy these past few months with RL (work, holidays, having a house built and then moving in, and other stuff). I got the turn a week ago and almost got it done when our male cat, Mo, decided to have a urinary tract blockage. He was in and out of the vet clinic, but it ended up with him having surgery. He's good now and will come home Monday. I finally got the turn back to Mike this morning. It was a fun and eventful turn.

Sorry about your cat 🐈. But glad that the game is back on track....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 265
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/29/2022 12:53:20 PM   
Mike Solli

Mo is a little trooper. He's wearing the cone of shame. He's our dog stuck in a cat's body. Right now he's laying on the table next to me. Anyway, the stitches come out in 9 days, but who's counting? Can't wait to get back to normal.

Anyway, back to the game...

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 266
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/29/2022 12:57:09 PM   
Nomad

something like this?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 267
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/29/2022 12:59:20 PM   
Mike Solli

19 Dec 41

Sub War

Nothing exciting to report.

5 Fleet

Three DDs visited Dutch Harbor to clear out the ships there. I figured they were YPs or AMs. Nope, there were 2 DDs and an AVD. The first engagement was brief and definitely a win for us good guys. DD Hatfield took a torpedo first thing and went down. DD Kane took a shell for little effect. They did successfully shield AVD Williamson.

Then, my DDs caught two YPs at Dutch Harbor sinking them pretty quickly.

During the day, the same DDs caught Kane and Williamson. This time, things were more even. The engagement ended with Kane burning fiercely and again, Williamson was shielded. Later in the day I heard sinking sounds (and it wasn’t one of mine). Was it Kane? Only time will tell…

Shiratsuyu took 2x 4” shells and Shigure took one. Damage was worse than I had expected with Shiratsuyu at 39-12(4)-10(1)-1 and Shigure at 10-3-2-0. They’ll both head for the Home Islands for repairs.

Engineers began working on Adak’s airfield.

The 3 battalions of 90 Infantry Regiment destined for the Aleutians are STILL loading supply. Man, they’re slow!

4 Fleet

The I/33 Infantry Regiment shock attacked by itself getting a 1:1 result but wearing down that pitiful US base force. Both units will shock attack together tomorrow.

SE Fleet

There were landings at Finschafen today. I’ll take it tomorrow.

The victors of Kavieng (I/66 Naval Guard) marched south and hit the 2/1 Ind Company beating them up some more and pushing them farther south on the island. The mission of the NG unit is to take the entire island. Eventually, the Aussies will run out of room to retreat.

Gasmata was liberated today by the 7 JNAF AF Unit. The 11 Air Fleet HQ will arrive and begin unloading tomorrow. Some repairs need to be made on the port then the airfield will start expanding, eventually to level 4.

The CA TF (4 Aobas and 3 DDs) is currently at Gasmata. They will visit Pt. Moresby tomorrow, where I can see a couple of Allied ships. I don’t anticipate anything larger than a CL, so they should be able to take care of themselves.

KB is 3 hexes east of Woodlark Island and has finally been spotted. They will move to a point 4 hexes SE of Buna tomorrow, in range of Pt. Moresby. They will cover any attempt to intervene by sea or air.

Yesterday, Mike saw only ships at Rabaul, and only because it was attacked. Today, he can see 5 TFs: the invasion and CA TFs at Gasmata, KB, the Pt. Moresby invasion TF 2 hexes SW of Gasmata (he doesn’t know that’s where they’re going), the invasion TF at Finschafen, and the Buna invasion TF (doesn’t know where this one is going either) 2 hexes west of Gasmata. What he still can’t see is the 11 Air Fleet HQ 2 hexes east of Rabaul, the Kiriwina Island (a dot base and future level 4 airfield 4 hexes SW of Gasmata) invasion TF, and the Replenishment Fleet (which he hopefully won’t ever see – 8 hexes SE of Rabaul). I hope he wasn’t drinking coffee when all that popped up.

The 144 Infantry Regiment (victors of Rabaul) have been tasked with taking Horn Island after Pt. Moresby is secured. Then, they will invade their way west and eventually find the rest of 55 Infantry Division in Burma. Talk about the grand tour!

SRA

Philippines: Fifteen Zeros swept Bataan engaging 4 US fighters and shot them all down. I still see one fighter, 2 bombers and about a dozen auxiliary aircraft in Luzon. Their air force is pretty much finished.

The 65 Brigade, along with some engineers and 5 arty units, entered Clark Field. I’m doing recon by fire tomorrow to see what’s there and its AV. Then I’ll make a decision as to what to do. There are also 6 more arty units that will begin landing in two days (from Hong Kong). They include 3 heavy, 2 mountain gun and a mortar battalion/regiment.

About half of 16 Division has made it to Manila. The rest will arrive over the next 2 days.

My goal is to take Clark Field before Manila, so the Manila garrison is isolated from Bataan. Right now I see 6 units in Manila, 7 in Clark Field and 24 in Bataan. In addition, there is 11 PA Infantry Division in San Fernando out of supply and slowly being destroyed by the air.

Finally, 3/12 PA Infantry Battalion was ousted from Tuguegarao by the Yokosuka 1 SNLF (Para unit). The PA unit got trashed and the remnants withdrew to Aparri. The paratroopers are chasing them and will destroy them, then be withdrawn for future paradrop missions.

Mindinao: An SNLF landed at Zamboanga and will take the place tomorrow. Note that this is the only location on the island that provides supply (20 LI).

There are still some units scattered around the island. There are the remnants of 5 that are at Malaybalay. Two tank regiments are attacking them tomorrow. One is at Surigao. The 146 Regiment will be there in a few days to oust them. The last one is between Davao and Dadjangas. The Kure 1 SNLF is headed there to kill it off.

Java: The Heavy Cover Force (2 BB, 6 CA, 2 CL, DD) is at Singkawang with TFs for the invasions of Tobali, Oosthaven, Merak and Kaldjati enroute. I hope to send the invasion TFs out from Singkawang within 4 days.

Supporting this effort is an air TF centered around Kaga, Ryujo and Zuiho (39 Zero, 36 Claude, 27 Val, 48 Kate).

There is also a heavy cover TF composed of Kongo, Haruna, 6 CA, 2 CL and 10 DD. They’ll provide the surface fist if needed. I originally formed this TF to counter Force Z had they been used to counter the Mersing invasion. That didn’t happen. They sat for a time at Mersing and then moved to Singkawang where they’ve been ever since. Tanaka commands them, so I expect good things if they are needed.

I see 4 Allied TFs (2 ships each) split among Merak, Batavia and Kaldjati. I believe they’re all small ships (AMc and MTB) with a couple ships in port at Batavia (probably damaged).

I have heavily reconned Oosthaven, Merak, Batavia and Kaldjati and see no ground forces at Merak or Kaldjati, only 1 small unit at Oosthaven and a lot of forces (22 units, 55k troops) at Batavia. Most of the Dutch Air Force is at Batavia (24 fighters, 45 bombers and 3 auxiliary). That is ideal for me. I doubt Tobali will make it to a level 2 airfield in time, but I’ll try to accomplish that. If the Dutch Air Force fighters are still around when that happens, I’ll station Zeros there to sweep and finish the job. Right now, the nearest base I have is Singkawang, 12 hexes away from Batavia. That’s extended range on tanks for Zeros, not how I really want to use my Zeros.

Without Tobali in business, reducing the Dutch fighters has to be a job of the carrier fighters. That job will probably fall to Zuiho’s 21 Zeros. The carriers will reach Singkawang tomorrow. I’ll probably move them in harm’s way the day after and begin the reduction of the Dutch Air Force. My initial thought is to use them as a target. I’ll put everyone on CAP and not fly the bombers at all. That should shred anything that comes my way. I don’t like doing that, but the Dutch Air Force hasn’t had much time to train in NavB. I will probably move the carriers to a hex SE of Tobali. That’s 4 hexes from Batavia. That way I’ll get every available bomber on NavB and fighter on Escort to come my way. If it works, that should be a nice increase on experience for my carrier based fighter pilots. It’ll also do double duty by killing off fighters and bombers. That’s always a good thing.

Malaya: Five British fighters met 18 Nates over Georgetown. Yeah, they are not the most modern IJAAF aircraft. All of the British fighters were driven off for no Japanese loss. I don’t see any fighters in Georgetown now, so hopefully some of them crashed and aren’t just damaged. I’ll continue to sweep.

There were 59 bomber sorties against Singapore’s airfield. Total losses were 2 Sallies shot down and two more lost to flak. My Zero sweep went in after the first bomber run engaging the only 2 undamaged Buffalos, shooting them both down. Singapore’s airfield damage is up to 20%. I won’t ever let it drop to 0 again, so no more fort building there.

The 124 Infantry Regiment attacked the FMSV and 8 Indian Brigades a hex south of Kota Bharu on the eastern rail line. Both brigades took a beating and retreated down the rail line but both survived. The regiment is already marching down to them to hopefully kill them off.

Two groups of 3 Hudsons each flew against my multitude of shipping gathering at Singkawang (more below). Their morale must have been abysmal because they fled when they saw my fighters.

Everywhere Else: DDs Sagiri and Yugiri visited Kendari sinking a large xAK, then proceeded back to Babeldaob to replenish.

I can still see the 3 damaged US ships from the BB encounter yesterday. They moved 4 hexes south and are a hex NW of Babar. I have a sub in the hex with two more within a couple of hexes. No contact though. I really hope someone gets a shot at one of the damaged ships, preferably Boise or Houston. Either way, they’re out of the war for a while.

The invasions of Miri and Brunei are leaving CRB today and will reach their targets in 3 days.

So it begins.

Burma

I still see the AVG at Rangoon. None of my “elite” IJNAF 2E bombers flew night missions against the airfield there.

China

The following attacks occurred:

Trashed a Chinese Corps a hex SW of Wuchang and pushed them south. My master plan is to turn a hex near but not in Changsha into a POW camp with everyone in the area.

Trashed another Chinese Corps 2 hexes E of Sinyang.

Took Tsaiotow trashing a Chinese Corps and leaving the infrastructure intact: Manpower 1(1), Res 40(0), LI 40(0).

Inconclusive attack a hex W of Sinyang. The enemy is withdrawing, probably in combat mode.

Between the attacks and air bombing, the Chinese lost 198 infantry, 226 non-combat, 27 engineer squads and 13 guns. The goal is >350 infantry squads destroyed a month. The other stuff is gravy since little of it will be replaced.

Other Stuff

Phase II is finally beginning. I’m setting in motion invasions of Java, southern Sumatra, Balikpapan, Miri and Brunei. Soon after that will be Tarakan, Boela and Babo.

In Phase I, the Philippines and Malaya are developing nicely, I'm taking advance bases in preparation for future phases, and the 15 Army is still crawling into Burma.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 268
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/30/2022 9:23:49 AM   
Mike Solli

Question for the group: My intent is to have 4 divisions assault Singapore (along with arty and engineers). Two of the divisions are ready and sitting in Johore Bahru. If I crossed the river with them now, would there be another shock attack when the other divisions later crossed the river into Singapore?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 269
RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) - 1/30/2022 12:38:04 PM   
btd64

Yes. With just those 2 new divisions. I've observed this on many occasions....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Logistics in the Pacific - USSAmerica (A), Mike (J) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI