Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Streamer Demo Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Streamer Demo Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/30/2022 7:12:21 PM   
Wolveen

Bonjour Eric and Tank You for this fabulus game coming near us very soon...
Question here about the possibility for multiple scouting target when we do use our scout in manual has we use to do in DWU with the shift key? Any possibility to see this in the near futur or maybe the posibility to scout all the asteroid in one clic maybe?
And a second though about maybe a way to have the possibility to pin a note on the map?I guess this could be useful ;)
And again Thanks for all this coming real :) ...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 61
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/30/2022 9:20:39 PM   
Darkmater

Not sure if I am missing it, but do ships get their empire flag painted on the hull or some distinctive texture treatment that differentiates it from other empires of same race that will have the same ship set? I am curious what happens when two fleets of the same race come together, are you able to easily make out your ships vs. theirs in the chaos of combat.

(in reply to Wolveen)
Post #: 62
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/31/2022 12:17:57 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkmater

Concerning fleets, are you able to set them to jump together and move in warp at the speed of the slowest ship. Based on the previews it seems like fleets end up getting separated due to different jump sequence or warp speed. Resulting in the fleet ships reaching the enemy in parts and not a whole, meaning the full brunt of its power is not delivered effectively. Also putting those ships arriving and engaging early at a disadvantage.

This was an irritation I had forgotten about in DW:U. I suspect the mess of jump-times hasn't changed in DW2, but it's certainly a feature I would love to have.

My DW1 experience has them following the fleet slowest speed - to a hilarious degree.
Like "I added that one ship on the other end of the empire, which is out of fuel and uses a old hyperdrive. Guess we now all have to trave that slow!"

quote:

Any thoughts or future considerations for after battle reports that summarize defense and weapon effectiveness for your ships and enemy ships? Obviously this would be tied to tech ability to derive those measures. Was good to have them in games like sword of the stars, etc to see what was doing or absorbing most damage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, we'd like to eventually do something like that, but we won't have that in for the initial release and it's a relatively tricky one because of the nature of some battles in DW2. It's something on our wish list for future updates/expansions.

The old game Star Trek Armada 2 tried to recognize distinct battles. And I think Age of Empires had something like that too? And both face comparable challenges.
It did not work well, of course. Still, there might be some lesson in what to do/avoid.
However, even the part where battles are usually sticking to one solar System helps a bit to seperate the battles.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 63
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/31/2022 12:35:32 AM   
Darkmater

I really like the immersion of the race animations in the diplomacy screen. I find it adds so much more character than static images, though was curious are there different animations for the characters representing their attitude / response toward us. Aggressive, decline offer, accept offer, war stance, peace stance, friend/ally.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 64
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/31/2022 1:45:00 AM   
Cauldyth

One of the nice things about the Distant Worlds combat model (at least in the original) is that there aren't necessarily well-defined battles (unlike, say, Stellaris). Things are more fluid, ships just sometimes shoot at each other.

Post #: 65
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/31/2022 7:03:48 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

One of the nice things about the Distant Worlds combat model (at least in the original) is that there aren't necessarily well-defined battles (unlike, say, Stellaris). Things are more fluid, ships just sometimes shoot at each other.

If ships are in the same system and shooting at each other, I call that a "battle".
Maybe not a big battle. But a battle none the less.

Stuff like Star Trek Armada and Age of Empires (if it had that mechnic) run into the issue that any clash, of any unit, between any two sides of a teamgame, anywhere on the large, undivided map might be part of one "Battle". Works easier in DW.

And then we can cut out civil ships too. So it is a lot easier to define.

It still needs it's time of course. Maybe even a lot. But at least the basis is a lot better then most other realtime games I know.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/31/2022 7:05:23 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 66
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/1/2022 9:47:46 AM   
Gertjan

The pace at which the streamers are playing this game (I am looking at you DAS) is mind boggling. I really cannot keep up wit watching :-)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 67
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/2/2022 5:24:45 AM   
zgrssd

Hey @ErikRutins . Still hoping for answers for:
quote:

17. "Question here about the possibility for multiple scouting target when we do use our scout in manual has we use to do in DWU with the shift key? Any possibility to see this in the near futur or maybe the posibility to scout all the asteroid in one clic maybe? "

18. "And a second though about maybe a way to have the possibility to pin a note on the map?I guess this could be useful"

19. "Not sure if I am missing it, but do ships get their empire flag painted on the hull or some distinctive texture treatment that differentiates it from other empires of same race that will have the same ship set? I am curious what happens when two fleets of the same race come together, are you able to easily make out your ships vs. theirs in the chaos of combat."

But I want to add one:
20. You mentioned some things about the Population count matering for ground combat over here. In particular:
Militia Units will spawn, with numbers based on Population. Troops on large colonies will heal (recover) faster.
My questions about this are:
1. Does the Assimilation level or Happiness of the local population on the Planet mater for that? i.e., how much will they help recent invaders?
2. What about the Assimilation ahd Happiness for that species across the empire? Would having a large, happy bases of humans help dealing with that one still unhappy human colony?
3, Does the race of the stationed troops matching the population on the planet mater?
4. What about Blockades or Robot and Clone Facilities?

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/3/2022 12:57:22 PM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 68
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/3/2022 12:51:33 PM   
zgrssd

I could add something from another thread. But still missing 17-20.
But some of those should be answerable by any streamer, as they are mostly a question of experience with the version.

Post #: 69
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/8/2022 12:04:53 AM   
Darkmater

Is there a 2d flat representation of the nebula bubbles? The height of the bubbles based on the preview imo makes it difficult to see what systems or paths actual intersect the nebula. Flattening the 3d nebula globe would go a good distance in cleaning that up. I can understand why 3d because when they are given their nebula color code it will add clutter to the empire map structure. I believe a thick dashed boarder for nebula would enable a better way to show them in 2d.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 70
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/8/2022 2:33:06 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

Is there a 2d flat representation of the nebula bubbles? The height of the bubbles based on the preview imo makes it difficult to see what systems or paths actual intersect the nebula. Flattening the 3d nebula globe would go a good distance in cleaning that up. I can understand why 3d because when they are given their nebula color code it will add clutter to the empire map structure. I believe a thick dashed boarder for nebula would enable a better way to show them in 2d.

I agree with all of that. And by my knowledge there is no such option yet.

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 71
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 2/8/2022 3:39:16 AM   
Cauldyth

I'd like a nice, pretty flat 2D nebula graphic. Hopefully that's in the plans for the upcoming final polish build, or hopefully someone can mod it in.

If nothing else though, you can currently rotate to a completely top-down view, in which case you can clearly see whether paths intersect the spheres. This is how Larry Monte typically plays.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Streamer Demo Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI