Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming advice Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/25/2022 9:42:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmf_slith

Yeah sounds like Operation first and foremost than tactical is more for me...

Then try Panzer General, I or II, then Steel Panthers. You might be able to get them for free.

For a Pacific Strategic level game, Pacific War is free.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=17

A description:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/pacific-war-matrix-edition

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 31
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/25/2022 10:55:37 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmf_slith

What about some of the John Tiller games? I read they are pretty deep which I prefer and read that they aren't as hard to learn like WiTE?

John Tiller's Campaign Series is always among my first suggestions. Tons of content and variety. The mini-description for each and every unity is useful for someone who wants to learn the basics about WWII, too.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 32
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/26/2022 12:58:57 AM   
Rosseau

And this is why I love this forum so much: Advice given without condescension or malice.

I will just add the obvious; that the digital choices are so much greater than when I was a young guy and couldn't wait for the postman to deliver the latest SSI game. Such excitement. Old men enjoy their memories!

The good thing about Tiller (now under the great love of Wargame Design Studio), is that if you learn one, you are relatively familiar with them all. I still like the Squad Battles series best, and now we have Campaign Series Vietnam from Matrix, which is making the existing design even better!

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 33
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/26/2022 2:52:38 AM   
Zovs

You really can’t go wrong with JTs Campaign Series (East Front, West Front, Rising Sun all packaged together), CS Middle East is good too.

I have 67 (4 of which are demos) of the WDS titles and they are keepers.

When Matrix has the big winter sale (or your anniversary) JTs CS, Panzer General I (with all the DLCs) and WITP-AE are priced ridiculously cheap and offer a lifetime of war gaming.

< Message edited by Zovs -- 1/26/2022 2:54:00 AM >

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 34
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/26/2022 6:47:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

Speaking about free games, here's a thread.

Another consideration about tactical & operational is that at its simplest, there are only game pieces or icons attacking eachothers, reducing hit points. In this case, tactical level tends to have more range in terms of hexes/squares, as it is practically zoomed in variant while operational scale is zoomed out. Most straightforward comparison is operational scale Panzer Corps and tactical scale Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon which both share the same game engine. Civilization IV has got mods that turn the game from strategic nation building down to tactical scale combat.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 35
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/26/2022 10:12:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

The TOAW manual defined Operational Scale as:

"Think of the operational level as a view of the battlefield on a scale just exceeding that at which differing ranges of various direct fire weapons are significant."

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 36
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/29/2022 5:54:00 PM   
TheGrayMouser

Interesting to see how players view and or define operations vs tactical. I personally think it has much less to do with things like weapon ranges, scale etc but what you as the player DO and WHY you do them in the game. Do you do things that are tactical or do things deemed operational or even strategic? Since games are GAMES, very few seriously try to simulate YOU in realistic role as a major, a general, supremo commander, Kaiser or whatever.. ( FPS exempted perhaps) Thus most games are somewhat hy-breds.

Some examples: Steel Panthers 3 , Talonsofts/Matrix's East Front West Front etc game, are platoon scale ( ie you pick up and move platoon size units in game) Scale is 200 and 250 meters/hex, clearly range in hexes is a huge consideration for positioning your tanks, AT guns, missles whatever.. There is no fatigue management, units cannot be repaired or receive replacements, there is no change from day to nite and thus even the largest battles in the games are hour, or mult-hour affairs. Pretty darn tactical. It goes without saying SP 1 2 and the various offshoots from Matrix and Shrapnel, The Squad Battled Games from JT are of the same vein , pure tactical.

If you then consider the Napoleonic titles( and the Civil war ones too)from JTS/WDS your "pieces" are battalion, Squadron or battery size elements, which were the actual lowest maneuver units( in general) in those eras. 100 Yard hexes, ranges of weaponry matters, and facing relative to the enemy matters. ( flank attacks confer bonus in melee). Seems very tactical... but!:

Some of the maps are monstrous, and are played out over several days with nite turns where fatigue can be reduced or increased if one tries to maneuver at nite.. With Division and Corps size units in route of march columns miles away from where the battle POSSIBLY can be fought, players can decide what road networks to take and make decision that imho seem much more operational..Your shaping when where and how the battle develops.

Of course, you still have to DO this by moving many pieces one at a time, down to 50 man skirmishes screening the army... Not really what an operational commander ( ie Davout, Napoleon) would be doing.. So what is this, a tactical game or what? haha!

Now if you go up a level in size there are the Tiller Operational games for WW1 and WW2, 1 hour turns, 1 km hexes, small arms all have the same range( adjacent) the full battle in the titles can be like 400 turns, so over a week or more in time. Fatigue, replacements etc all come into play. Seems pretty operational BUT you are still moving basically tactical units around ( a lot of them) ! So it seems again, its a tactical game in what you do, but the size is so large it has the feel of operations without really having any mechanics for that.. BTY this is not a bad thing, the WW1 titles are pretty amazing!

I don't own these but I suspect that the Decisive Campaigns sold here by Vic likley have actual operational elements in what you do as a player, but I'm not sure.

One thing that not too many computer games do ( but a lot of board games did) is Grand Tactical. I don't own these either, but the Napoleonic games made by Paul Bruffel at HPS sims seem to fit this bill.
The players concern is over the battlefield area only( ie Austerlitz etc), the map has area movement ( so no mini maxing terrain, if you enter an area that is wooded you suffer the penalties for being in wooded , in say Steel panthers a heavily wooded map will have breaks in the trees, paths etc you can maneuver and fight in and thru if woods are no good for your tanks) Units are regiments ( which would be several actual tactical units of battalions or squadrons in each one) When you attack another area, you are not concerned about the most in game effectiveness of range or flanks for the small element in a stack, these are not your concerns in a grand tactical game, and the game doesn't include those elements anyhow.

Arguably the Panzer general games might be grand tactical but certainly also they have operational ( fuel, weather, cities and production centers) and even strategic concerns as well ( you control the means of producing your army tailored to what you like...choices in branching paths ie attempt Sealion OR Barbarossa in 1940). Not a fair comparison as im talking about a campaign of linking carryover battles here, where i was really talking about single scenarios in the other games, however the grand campaign always defined the PG games and I think it would be a mostly forgotten footnote if SSI only included single battles.

Without a doubt, the TOAW games, when they stick within the boundries of size scale time etc that Norm Koger recommended for best use, feel very operational but I suspect one can see the tactical in there too if you look hard enough.

Anyway I have procrastinated enough to avoid moving a lot of snow off my house, cheers!

< Message edited by TheGrayMouser -- 1/29/2022 5:55:18 PM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 37
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/29/2022 7:09:16 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGrayMouser

Arguably the Panzer general games might be grand tactical but certainly also they have operational ( fuel, weather, cities and production centers) and even strategic concerns as well ( you control the means of producing your army tailored to what you like...choices in branching paths ie attempt Sealion OR Barbarossa in 1940). Not a fair comparison as im talking about a campaign of linking carryover battles here, where i was really talking about single scenarios in the other games, however the grand campaign always defined the PG games and I think it would be a mostly forgotten footnote if SSI only included single battles.

Interesting arguments. How does Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon look to you?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 38
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/30/2022 4:42:48 PM   
coachi

Command ops. Difficult to learn. Easy to play

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 39
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/31/2022 10:49:34 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGrayMouser
If you then consider the Napoleonic titles( and the Civil war ones too)from JTS/WDS your "pieces" are battalion, Squadron or battery size elements, which were the actual lowest maneuver units( in general) in those eras. 100 Yard hexes, ranges of weaponry matters, and facing relative to the enemy matters. ( flank attacks confer bonus in melee). Seems very tactical... but!:

Some of the maps are monstrous, and are played out over several days with nite turns where fatigue can be reduced or increased if one tries to maneuver at nite.. With Division and Corps size units in route of march columns miles away from where the battle POSSIBLY can be fought, players can decide what road networks to take and make decision that imho seem much more operational..Your shaping when where and how the battle develops.

The same could be said of the Panzer Campaigns series. The scale of the game is tactical or grand tactical and the smaller scenarios have a tactical feel to them. Then the same scale is used for, for example, the whole France 1940 campaign.

I often joke that the ultimate grognard game would be World in Flames at ASL scale, but Panzer Campaigns almost aims at that. I have some titles and I played them a lot, but always the small/medium scenarios, never the Grand Campaigns.

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 40
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/31/2022 2:50:47 PM   
Curtis Lemay

We shouldn't confuse scale with scope. A game can be tactical in scale and strategic in scope.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 41
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/31/2022 4:06:45 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

We shouldn't confuse scale with scope. A game can be tactical in scale and strategic in scope.

There also is the concept of "telescoping scale": a strategic game with, let's say, one week turns, that can go down to hourly turns when needed. A good example is Mark Herman's "Pacific War".

"This entire sequence [monthly turns] is set within a telescoping time scale (days to hours) that has naval units seamlessly accelerate (from 12 to 30+ knots), searches seek out the enemy, carriers launch air strikes, combat air patrols defend, culminating with torpedo and dive bomber attacks on individual naval targets. At its core, Pacific War’s game systems allows you to fight detailed carrier strikes (sequential and simultaneous) with night surface naval actions (float planes, gunfire and torpedo salvos) integrated with large scale ground offensives on the Asian mainland..."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 42
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 1/31/2022 11:08:38 PM   
Eambar

I still enjoy the old SSG Decisive Battles Series - Korsun Pocket, Battles in Italy, Battles in Normandy, Across the Dnepr (1&2) and Kharkov. Throw in Battlefront and they are a great group of games that are challenging and can be completed in a relatively reasonable amount of time.

Cheers,

< Message edited by Eambar -- 1/31/2022 11:09:02 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 43
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 2:12:08 AM   
Rosseau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eambar

I still enjoy the old SSG Decisive Battles Series - Korsun Pocket, Battles in Italy, Battles in Normandy, Across the Dnepr (1&2) and Kharkov. Throw in Battlefront and they are a great group of games that are challenging and can be completed in a relatively reasonable amount of time.

Cheers,

Yes, SSG's games and Command Ops 2, despite their age, seem to have a legendary AI. Both require some study, but I guess that's half the fun!

Best wishes!

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 44
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 1:53:21 PM   
coachi

Just restarted command ops. Great game with unique realistic concept. I often wonder why it doesn’t have more followers

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 45
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 2:45:06 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: coachi

Just restarted command ops. Great game with unique realistic concept. I often wonder why it doesn’t have more followers

"It plays by itself" and "It is like watching a movie" were two of the most commonly cited reasons back in the day. I guess that some people are not interested in winning.

(in reply to coachi)
Post #: 46
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 3:00:44 PM   
mainsworthy

I have it on 3 monitors, so its modern to me

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 47
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 7:30:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

There also is the concept of "telescoping scale": a strategic game with, let's say, one week turns, that can go down to hourly turns when needed. A good example is Mark Herman's "Pacific War".

Wait, what? I thought Pacific War is Gary Grigsby's game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Grigsby's_Pacific_War

MekWars

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 48
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/1/2022 7:37:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Wait, what? I thought Pacific War is Gary Grigsby's game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Grigsby's_Pacific_War

He meant Victory Games Pacific War:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5622/pacific-war-struggle-against-japan-1941-1945

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 2/1/2022 7:38:05 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 49
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/2/2022 1:34:22 AM   
Eambar

I have hundreds of hours in CO 1 and 2 and still regularly play it (ie weekly). One of the best wargames ever designed IMO.

There are three aspects to it that are very different to most other wargames.

1. No hexes - there are a few wargames that don't have hexes, or where hexes can be turned off and for players transitioning from board games or those used to playing with hexes, this can be off-putting. It doesn't take long to get used to no hexes but it does make CO different.

2. The game is not designed for you to move every piece. Give an order to a HQ and let the AI do the work. This is encapsulated in the "on-map boss" concept that you may read about in any development notes about the game. Many games require the player to move every piece, and sitting back and watching the AI execute your plan (and not always the way you want it) can be off-putting. The tendency is to want to jump-in and micromanage, but the more you do this, the more the game doesn't work. This could be a hurdle too high to overcome for many players.

3. What is the appropriate level to let the AI execute the plan? What I mean by this is at what level do I issue orders? Let's say a scenario has a divisional structure OOB with a div HQ and a number of brigades. Do I issue orders to the Div HQ to implement the plan, or to the Brigade HQs? Do I go lower - Battalion or Company level? Too low and I suffer from the issues raised above, too high and the plan goes well astray. Each scenario is different but generally I have found the sweet spot to be at the Battalion (Combat Command or Kampfgruppe equivalent) level where the battalion will consist of a number of companies and support units. Occasionally for a simple task I may give orders to the Brigade. This takes some time to figure out and if the new player is easily turned off by having to experiment with the best set up for them, then they will stop playing in favour of games that make order giving and execution far more simple.

To the OP - Command Ops 2 base game with three scenarios is free so there's no financial penalty for giving it a go.

Cheers,

(in reply to coachi)
Post #: 50
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/2/2022 4:28:16 AM   
Fred98

If one counter = 1 man then tactical
If one counter = 1 squad then tactical
If one counter = 1 platoon then tactical
If one counter = 1 company then could be tactical or operational
If one counter = 1 battalion then operational
If one counter = 1 brigade then could be operational or strategic
If one counter = 1 division then strategic
If one counter = 1 corps then strategic
If one counter = 1 army then strategic

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 51
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/2/2022 6:33:56 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred98

If I recall correctly, Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of Shogun has formations labeled as battalions. I don't think that game is operational scale anymore than Battle Academy is.

MekWars

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 52
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/2/2022 9:07:48 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred98

If I recall correctly, Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of Shogun has formations labeled as battalions. I don't think that game is operational scale

Then the game should be labelled accurately.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 53
RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming ad... - 2/3/2022 1:39:55 PM   
zgrssd

In my understanding games by Victor Reijkersz/VR Designs tend to have a heavy focus on the logistics side of Warfare.
So if you want a game where that part is not ignored, I would look at his games.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: new To the genre and looking for some war gaming advice Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI