Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A minor suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> A minor suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A minor suggestion - 2/4/2022 1:27:26 PM   
Galaxy227

Returning the player's view to their original orientation of the galaxy.

Background: Dastactic enjoys fixing his field of view towards the Galactic-North, as it keeps the angle in which he views the galaxy consistent. With as big as Distant Worlds is, this is a necessary feature. Being able to align your camera back to how it was is important.

Problem: In order to align the camera back to its original view, Dastactic has to mash the same key several times, flipping through each cardinal direction until finally returning to Galactic-North. This is a bad design. There is no reason for the other cardinal directions to be available, and especially no reason for the player to have to flip through every cardinal direction to find their original camera angle. Having to flip the camera in 45-degree increments when all you want is the original alignment is headache-inducing. If this feature only exists to return the player to their original camera angle, then why make them twirl through the entire compass rose to get there?

Suggestion: Remove the angles for all cardinal directions except one, and have this direction be the original angle of the galaxy. This way, the player is still able to bask in the glory of his 3D ships—rotating the camera to his heart's content—but when it's time to go back up to the galactic stage, there will be this handy key that immediately readjusts the camera to its original angle... WITHOUT having to unnecessarily mash through seven other angles to get there.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/4/2022 1:38:10 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A minor suggestion - 2/4/2022 1:50:20 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

Background: Dastactic enjoys fixing his field of view towards the Galactic-North, as it keeps the angle in which he views the galaxy consistent. With as big as Distant Worlds is, this is a necessary feature. Being able to align your camera back to how it was is important.

Problem: In order to align the camera back to its original view, Dastactic has to mash the same key several times, flipping through each cardinal direction until finally returning to Galactic-North. This is a bad design. There is no reason for the other cardinal directions to be available, and especially no reason for the player to have to flip through every cardinal direction to find their original camera angle. Having to flip the camera in 45-degree increments when all you want is the original alignment is headache-inducing. If this feature only exists to return the player to their original camera angle, then why make them twirl through the entire compass rose to get there?

Suggestion: Remove the angles for all cardinal directions except one, and have this direction be the original angle of the galaxy. This way, the player is still able to bask in the glory of his 3D ships—rotating the camera to his heart's content—but when it's time to go back up to the galactic stage, there will be this handy key that immediately readjusts the camera to its original angle... WITHOUT having to unnecessarily mash through seven other angles to get there.

Yes, a CTRL->HOME key or something to snap you back to north. I think this may already be on a suggestion list somewhere.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 2
RE: A minor suggestion - 2/4/2022 1:54:14 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

Yes, a CTRL->HOME key or something to snap you back to north. I think this may already be on a suggestion list somewhere.

This is DasTactic.
So 90% chance it is already in, he just keeps forgetting it exists

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 3
RE: A minor suggestion - 2/4/2022 6:17:25 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

I think that I Stellaris the interface always snaps back at the original orientation for this very reason when you swivel the map. I think that in general is a good approach... but otherwise a quick button to orient the map in the correct direction could be good.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> A minor suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote