Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great Job...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Great Job... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great Job... - 2/4/2022 7:11:27 PM   
carll11

Just a note that in that I throw out a lot of questions, fix requests, add ons on etc., (critique?) I think its hi-time I took a moment to say, great job, truly. I bi!ched a lot re; the time it was taking etc., yes, it was worth it.
Speaking with hard won familiarity, I think the game has captured the Vietnam experience as well as any game can. I've played Na son, Gabrielle and Dak To ( the 75 turn v.),and not even tried to edit or create yet, boffo!
The graphics as in colors, nuances etc are well done and lush. Cant think of a thing re; I'd ask to change. the tunnel work is excellent btw, wasn't sure how you'd handle but I cant think of any improvement. The vc and nva disappearing at random etc, the helos, FB's etc, again, thumbs up.

I am just in turn 8 of the Long Binh grand scenario and have to say, I am amazed, ( as I was in Dak To) re; the EP points and what that took to set the triggers, the values, scaling and thought that went into it, the units lists, the unit diversity... thats a lot of work....a lot.

In closing, great job, really......the whole team, graphics guys, programmers, testers, scenario designers.....well done. and, thank you!

Now get back to work and get going on 68 thru 72!!

I am especially interested in how you're going to script Ripcord, thats a must I think, it was a sheetshow from day 1, but would be a great scenario imho.

< Message edited by carll11 -- 2/4/2022 7:12:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 7:39:15 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, carll! That's muchly appreciated!

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 2
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 7:41:54 PM   
Scud

Big Ivan and I did our best to test for PBEM, not just for playing the AI, but we were rarely able to get through complete tests, due to the rapidity of changes to the game engine, which would often break our games. Most of our testing was vs AI. Right now I'm trying to get as many games going as I can against human opponents, so to find the gem scenarios for human vs human play. I urge anyone who likes PBEM to find an opponent and post your game results and thoughts on each scenario over at theBlitz.club so we can get a good database of human versus human Vietnam scenarios established.

I agree with you, Carl. The devs have done a fantastic job and I see them making fixes and talking about future improvements daily. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the new scripting/engine being applied to the old WWII versions.

Dave

CS and CSx2 Forum Moderator at The Blitz

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 3
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 8:19:40 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scud

Big Ivan and I did our best to test for PBEM, not just for playing the AI, but we were rarely able to get through complete tests, due to the rapidity of changes to the game engine, which would often break our games. Most of our testing was vs AI. Right now I'm trying to get as many games going as I can against human opponents, so to find the gem scenarios for human vs human play. I urge anyone who likes PBEM to find an opponent and post your game results and thoughts on each scenario over at theBlitz.club so we can get a good database of human versus human Vietnam scenarios established.

I agree with you, Carl. The devs have done a fantastic job and I see them making fixes and talking about future improvements daily. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the new scripting/engine being applied to the old WWII versions.

Dave

And thank you for your efforts scud!

(in reply to Scud)
Post #: 4
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 8:20:06 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Thank you, carll! That's muchly appreciated!

You're very welcome....

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 8:41:40 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

We already have ~60 Tet '68 through c. 1972 scenarios in the can, including a dozen or so scenarios of the Laotian "Secret War". With several dozen more planned to follow, extending into the late 1970s, covering the later War years, the Sino-Vietnamese Border War of 1979, also (we hope) one or several Khmer Rouge scenarios set in Cambodia.

The ~60 etc. still need to be scripted, though. Ay, there's the rub! Scripting and testing and debugging and revising ... take enormous amounts of time. If CSVN was delayed for so long, now you know why.

The good news is that game features, and the CSEE/SAI, have largely settled down. Apart maybe from some UI improvements (and further down the road, perhaps some graphics improvements), we don't foresee any further major changes to game play. With the game and CSEE/SAI stable, the scripting etc. should go much faster henceforth.

At least that's the plan!

< Message edited by berto -- 2/4/2022 9:29:29 PM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 6
RE: Great Job... - 2/4/2022 9:25:39 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

Just a note that in that I throw out a lot of questions, fix requests, add ons on etc., (critique?) I think its hi-time I took a moment to say, great job, truly. I bi!ched a lot re; the time it was taking etc., yes, it was worth it.
Speaking with hard won familiarity, I think the game has captured the Vietnam experience as well as any game can. I've played Na son, Gabrielle and Dak To ( the 75 turn v.),and not even tried to edit or create yet, boffo!
The graphics as in colors, nuances etc are well done and lush. Cant think of a thing re; I'd ask to change. the tunnel work is excellent btw, wasn't sure how you'd handle but I cant think of any improvement. The vc and nva disappearing at random etc, the helos, FB's etc, again, thumbs up.

I am just in turn 8 of the Long Binh grand scenario and have to say, I am amazed, ( as I was in Dak To) re; the EP points and what that took to set the triggers, the values, scaling and thought that went into it, the units lists, the unit diversity... thats a lot of work....a lot.

In closing, great job, really......the whole team, graphics guys, programmers, testers, scenario designers.....well done. and, thank you!

I am especially interested in how you're going to script Ripcord, thats a must I think, it was a sheetshow from day 1, but would be a great scenario imho.

Great post Carl and I agree with every word.

The replies fill me with even more optimism for the future than I had before.

As for MP I have 4 games ongoing as of now whith hopefully many more to come and I will be posting all results on The Blitz and would also encourage other players to jump into MP. It really takes the game to another level of enjoyment.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Great Job... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI