Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shock Cavalry?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Shock Cavalry? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shock Cavalry? - 2/5/2022 7:55:53 PM   
TheJSFFenix

So, as I alluded to in this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5133321

And as Lobster also chipped in, Cavalry in TOAW has pretty strange and unexplained properties...

In the standard TOAW equipment database there are 5 kinds of Cavalry Squads:

- Cavalry Squad (Sabre)
- Cavalry Squad (Lance)
- Cavalry Squad (Heavy)
- Mounted Rifle Squad (Early)
- Mounted Rifle Squad (Late)

Early and Late Mounted Rifles are both basically the same as infantry but with an added recon flag and Fast Horse movement type instead of Slow/Foot, nothing really interesting about them.

It's the other three squads that I have a question about however, and I wonder if anybody could maybe have some answers about it, perhaps someone involved with coding of the game?

Sabres and Lances seem to be a carbon copies of each other in terms of pure stats but exist as two separate pieces of equipment, which I'm assuming is for the purpouses of replacements management or flavor? Heavy Cavalry loses the recon in exchange for 1 more point of Anti-Personnel strength which is logical.

What they all have in common and what I'm curious about however is the "Shock Cavalry" flag. What does it do, exactly? The description of it says simply "Equipment is Shock Cavalry" and that's that. Does it contribute to their attack strength in a similar way that recon does?

Leipzig 1813 briefing states:

quote:

Cavalry Rules: Cavalry may not attack (or attempt to RBC) defenders that are in Forest, Urban, Dense Urban, or Fortified terrain. Exception: Cavalry may always attack any defense that contains enemy cavalry, regardless of terrain. Also, cavalry may never voluntarily end its movement in a Fortified terrain hex. It may move through such hexes, though.

Cavalry combat strengths are enhanced due to their charge capability - which could not be used against defenders in such terrain. But I figure if there's enemy cavalry in the defense, it somewhat cancels the attacking cavalry's enhancement with its own.

For those not in the know or those who don't remember- Leipzig is more of a "grand tactical" scale scenario than an operational one, with each hex meant to represent about 480 meters (back when the game had no 250/500/1000 meter scales), and there are actually House Rules for line of sight concerning artillery too (artillery is not allowed to fire across escarpments and ridges or forests in this scenario).

Because of this, I'm assuming that the bit concerning charges being impossible in certain types of terrain is just a flavor-type house rule and isn't actually tied to any game-wide mechanics. However it's the part about the combat strength being enhanced that interests me and led me to assume that the Shock Cavalry flag impacts the unit fighting strength in a way similar to Recon%. Can anybody confirm or explain this to me, how it works? I know Cavalry isn't the most used unit type in most of the scenarios, but I'm just madly curious about it.

< Message edited by TheJSFFenix -- 2/5/2022 7:58:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Shock Cavalry? - 2/6/2022 6:13:09 AM   
cathar1244

Pretty sure the combat strengths in the database are what is used.

In this scenario, it is possible the scenario designer changed the values for the cavalry equipment types to model the "charge capability". Thus, the need for the house rules mentioned so that this "bonus" is not available in unrealistic situations, such as in forested terrain.

You could compare the values given to cavalry equipment in the scenario to that of the standard database and see what changes were made.

Cheers

(in reply to TheJSFFenix)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Shock Cavalry? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI