Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can someone explain Discord?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can someone explain Discord? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 5:46:56 PM   
76mm

Lots of game developers, etc. are starting up Discord servers these days, so I've signed up for a few. But I don't get it...Discord reminds me of an even less attractive, less organized, 21st Century version of ConsimWorld (not meant as a compliment).

But maybe I'm missing something...Those of you who like Discord, what do you like about it? How do you use it?
Post #: 1
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 6:08:44 PM   
LarryP

I hate it. I tried to like it but it failed to prove different. I have no idea why devs are using it so much.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 6:16:22 PM   
mainsworthy

i dont like it, but the advantage is you can startup temp sub forums as you go, the people on there dont seem to be interested in games more like chatting. it seems to be the current buzz. you can get an app or use browser, and you can get into private forums by invite. i would say its an excuse for chatters

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 3
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 6:33:13 PM   
76mm

The other popular game discussion platform that I am not a fan of is groups.io. But even that is better than Discord.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 2/5/2022 6:34:17 PM >

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 4
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 6:43:40 PM   
Zovs

Discord is not bad, it’s more like a text chatting app, there is some good channels.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 7:46:03 PM   
bayonetbrant

the primary differentiator for Discord is that it's real-time. There's A/V channels alongside the text channels that you can stream/share to the rest of the server audience, with almost no overhead at all.

If you're using it for long-term recall of the text-based content, then you're using it toward a purpose it's not intended

If you're using it to organize and share content in near-real-time, like organizing a live session of a game, or playing a TTRPG in real time, where people can all talk together while the GM shares text / picture content, then Discord works really well

There are a bunch of us that use them as the "home base" for digital conventions, where Discord acts as the "hotel lobby" for the participants, and then branch off into their game rooms with dedicated AV/chat channels for the GMs to run their games.

The Kriegsspiel guys love Discord b/c they can control the flow of info on an individual player info, and they can share info across multiple participants with some pretty low-overhead role creations & designation.

Assign people to "roles" based on the team they're playing on, and where they are on the battlefield, and you can send messages just to red or blue, just to the uphill or downhill parts of the battlefield, or to individual people, all of which helps keep the fog of war consistent for all players

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 6
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/5/2022 8:15:19 PM   
mainsworthy

now TTRPG on discord, thats sounds great! def suited to that

(in reply to bayonetbrant)
Post #: 7
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 12:09:15 AM   
demyansk

I use Discord to chat with players in a squad while we play Battlefield 5. I have about seven servers I belong to and it’s a good way to post links for news on games etc. I even have a server with some other players to play Tank Duel on Vassal. They invite me to play but I have missed the games. I also use it to talk to my brother. I just call him and he picks up if the smart phone is on. I think the call quality is real good. You could use Discord instead of a phone, I use on this tablet and on the desktop. You can have push to talk and voice activation.

It’s not bad and Free

Post #: 8
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 1:10:20 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant
If you're using it for long-term recall of the text-based content, then you're using it toward a purpose it's not intended

What you say makes sense, but unless I'm missing something, this is exactly how many game devs seem to be using Discord...as mentioned above, the result is like an even worse version of Consimworld.

I can see how Discord could be useful for the purposes you describe.

Post #: 9
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 3:53:24 AM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

What you say makes sense, but unless I'm missing something, this is exactly how many game devs seem to be using Discord...

Hey, people use wrenches as hammers all the time, too!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 3:54:01 AM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainsworthy

now TTRPG on discord, thats sounds great! def suited to that

we had a T2K game at our last ACDC and it went over *very* well

Post #: 11
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 10:06:34 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Lots of game developers, etc. are starting up Discord servers these days, so I've signed up for a few. But I don't get it...Discord reminds me of an even less attractive, less organized, 21st Century version of ConsimWorld (not meant as a compliment).

But maybe I'm missing something...Those of you who like Discord, what do you like about it? How do you use it?

I do not get it either.

So I am likely to miss something as well. Further explanation is needed for me to get it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 1:53:37 PM   
jbmoore68

I see more and more developers going to these things, I will be left out also, I always got everything I needed in the forums, but I guess everything is changing these days. That's OK, I think I have enough games/wargames to last me for a while.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 13
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 2:53:09 PM   
madflava13

Playing a lot of Eve Online these days - we use it for in and out of game communication. It works really well.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to jbmoore68)
Post #: 14
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 3:40:59 PM   
bayonetbrant

keep in mind that Discord is just one of several tools that have fundamentally similar skill sets, include Slack, and MS Teams.

They each have some distinguishing features that separate them from the others, but fundamentally, they're all real-time channel-based comms tools.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 15
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 4:09:31 PM   
Kuokkanen

Week ago I got an e-mail from Discord that my account has been deactivated for violating terms of service. I'm not even sure if I typed anything on it on that day or the day before. I sure have participated in discussion about history, war, related games, politics, news, got into heated argument with a moderator and got booted from server, got welcomed back by admin... Other than that, I'm drawing blank. I registered on Guilded. Functionality is much the same as Discord, but allegedly more free speech. So yeah, you won't see me on Discord anymore

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 16
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 5:36:30 PM   
deeter

Since more game developers are using it, that's where I go to find out about these games. Just seems like another forum to me.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 6:27:35 PM   
Tejszd

The problem with Discord is knowing that the game your interested in is there and people are discussing it.

I’m a Close Combat fan and the forum here doesn’t get much traffic compared to Discord so if I was a potential new player I would think the community/game is dead....

(in reply to deeter)
Post #: 18
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/6/2022 7:51:15 PM   
Kuokkanen

Did someone call Discord a forum? It's not. It's a real time chat like IRC or TeamSpeak, just with little more features. Same goes to Guilded. Anyone in here using it?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 19
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/8/2022 2:44:46 PM   
Mobeer

Works really well if you have a clan or squad etc that discuss plans outside of the game being played. The chat channels need to be well organised and disciplined.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 20
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/9/2022 5:39:07 AM   
sPzAbt653

Can anybody have some Discord? I'd like to have some to share with my friends.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 21
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/9/2022 8:25:15 AM   
Rising-Sun

I didnt like it much either, since i am hearing impaired and there are some can read messages instead. Many games across the board does have discord and was told there can be a hacking into your account if you arent so lucky. Not really sure how much knowledges you need to be, for hacking purposes, but dont think you need to be expert.

Anytime you in a game, if you got this thing running in the back ground, they (hackers, if any) can see what going on with your profile and your account. So if you have this running, switch to the internet, looking up something like a bank account, etc. That can be very bad, cause they can see every move you make.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 22
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/9/2022 11:22:14 AM   
Zovs

I guess I look at Discord like another text and chat tool, sort of like social media for gamers and I subscribe to only war game server/channels. I use it for instant messaging and in some places you can do mini AARs with text and a fast way to cut & paste images without saving or storing those images. Like all tools it has a place in my tool bag but you don’t use a awl when you need a hammer.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 23
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/9/2022 3:35:39 PM   
gekkoguy35

I use it mostly for flight simming and find it really helpful. You can search channels and find answers from long ago questions. The developers I follow frequently post updates or tidbits and regularly interact with people real-time, mostly with text, and as I've learned how to use it I find it really useful and easy to use. When I first got started it was not overly intuitive, I'll agree with that. As you gain experience with it though it's really quite nice.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 24
RE: Can someone explain Discord? - 2/9/2022 10:33:20 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Lets see:
-its mostly free
-a lot of people are already on Discord, big audience without extra login
-you can easily structure the server with subchannels
-easy post creation and image upload
-different permissions for users allow rank structure->user engagement
-decent text formatting options
-easy integration of bots for additional functionality
-lots of nice functionality, e.g. pinging of users

My only problem with it is that it is unavailable for search engines (although this can be a plus too). For a time there were way more WitE AARs on the Hex!-server than here on matrixgames, but they are in private channels.

It is also useful for online collaboration for group projects.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/9/2022 10:42:49 PM >

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can someone explain Discord? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI