Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/6/2021 9:37:25 AM   
davidjruss

LargeSlowTarget,

Yet all the pictures I see of this map being used show no hexes involved. Do all these people modify the map for themselves and if so - how ?

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 61
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/6/2021 9:52:00 AM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidjruss

LargeSlowTarget,

Yet all the pictures I see of this map being used show no hexes involved. Do all these people modify the map for themselves and if so - how ?

In "Preferences",do you have Hexsides turned off? If not try that and see if it works.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to davidjruss)
Post #: 62
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/6/2021 11:02:59 AM   
davidjruss

mussey,

Thanks - I have copied the WPEH files to a temp folder , renamed them to WPEN files and then re-copied them back into the ART folder.

Seems to work as I now have the BP map usable without hexes being shown

DavidR

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 63
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/6/2021 11:24:40 AM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidjruss

mussey,

Thanks - I have copied the WPEH files to a temp folder , renamed them to WPEN files and then re-copied them back into the ART folder.

Seems to work as I now have the BP map usable without hexes being shown

DavidR

Glad you got it going. Excellent map!

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to davidjruss)
Post #: 64
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/6/2021 4:14:41 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

I don't understand - copying and renaming the map art files does not change the graphics of the art files as such, so if the graphics had hexsides in the original files before the copying and renaming, the renamed copies of the original art files will have hex sides as well Are we talking about the same map art hexsides, or do you mean the hotkey toggle that turns the in-game hexsides on and off and which has nothing to do with the map art files?

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 65
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/8/2021 8:01:57 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Bellum Pacifica Kamikaze

Stock map - new labels,swamps added

Download on Kamikaze
(upgrade May18)

Extended map - new labels/swamps KamikazeExtended
(small upgrade on 3July18)

This map deserves a bump as it took me forever to find. Saw this on XTRG's Lets Play vs Admiral Dadman and had to get it. One of the best looking maps showing actual terrain assigned! Looks great and thanks for making!

Like others said had to change the map names to EN for non hexes to work!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 3/8/2021 8:23:36 AM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 66
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/23/2021 5:25:17 PM   
clamel

As a newbie and recently bought the game.

I need some clarification on your Kamikaze map. I'm using the extended version, but the more I read the more I wonder.
Lots of talk about map data and files in main folder pw**.dat
Looking at the wrong places Aden Andaman issue. They are totally out of whack, but work alright (so far). I can send TFs from them so not an issue

I'm not sure if I do hunt for these pw* files and install them to see Aden in correct place but then screw up my save.
It's more an eyething, but I get scared that some troubles comes further down the scenario. I play 8th Dec scenario, so no DaBabes or anything like that. Intend to try out AndyMacs new 1 and 2 sceanrios.
I can see that Clark AB is not directly on the coast either but have a coastal hex beside it.
The mentioning of stack limits makes me even more concerned.

Since you don't include those pw* in your Bellum for extended I of course wonder why. And which files should I get if they are important and needed to use your extended map ?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 67
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/23/2021 6:48:03 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

If you play stock scenarios like Scen 1 and 2 you don't need tbe extended map. The extended map is for the DaBabes mods and their spin-offs. The necessary pw files for the extended map are being provided with the DaBigBabes scenario files.

Correction - Babes scenarios come in "A" variants using the stock map and "B" and "C" variants using the extended map.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/23/2021 6:55:58 PM >

(in reply to clamel)
Post #: 68
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/23/2021 6:51:27 PM   
leftydad

I'm a relative newbie also. I use the kamikaze map (which looks great), but not the extended map. I can't see where there is need for the extended map.

James

(in reply to clamel)
Post #: 69
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/23/2021 6:59:32 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: leftydad

I'm a relative newbie also. I use the kamikaze map (which looks great), but not the extended map. I can't see where there is need for the extended map.

See https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 70
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 3/23/2021 9:45:16 PM   
clamel

I only saw a couple of areas that had some vital new hexes. Like a coastal hex beside Clark Airfeidl I think. So the Japanese should not be able to attack direct from the sea towards Clark AB.
One hex south of Malacca too I think looked interresting.

But in th greater perspective the stock ones is as good as the extended.
I have put back the two Chems and this Kamikaze stock maps to see. It was the YT XTRG and The Historicalgamers vids that got me going towards a better eyefriendly map than the base-map.

It's always nice with a tiny bit of modding, eh

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 71
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 9:38:26 AM   
ksnoopy

I've been following Strategy Gaming Dojo's tutorial series who pointed to this great map set. I'm using the extended version. For some reason, as he noted in his youtube series, there's a few small bugs in the upper left with cities appearing in the wrong spots in on the map -- namely Abadan and Aden.

Easy to fix so I just opened photoshop and moved the art so the cities showed up in the right spot on the map.

< Message edited by ksnoopy -- 4/3/2021 6:59:07 PM >

(in reply to clamel)
Post #: 72
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 11:47:09 AM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ksnoopy

I've been following Strategy Gaming Dojo's tutorial series who pointed to this great map set. I'm using the extended version. For some reason, as he noted in his youtube series, there's a few small bugs in the upper left with cities appearing in the wrong spots in on the map -- namely Abadan and Aden.

Easy to fix so I just opened photoshop and moved the art so the cities showed up in the right spot on the map. I can't post the link yet since I haven't made ten posts to the forum but feel free to DM me if you want the link. I'll edit this and add the link if I ever post 10 things to this forum :)

There is not a bug in the map. The Dojo doesn’t know what he is doing.

There are two basic types of maps that exist for the game the standard map and the extended map.

Each on has their own Data Set that matches it.
One data set for the standard map and one for the extended map.
https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art

To use the extended map you have to know two things….
1) You have to have the correct data set installed for the extended map.
2) You have to then use a scenario designed for use on the extended map.
(This is because the scenario designer sets up the bases)

So, if you have the extended map tiles installed and the correct data set installed and
you then start up a non-extended map scenario, like scenario 1, which was designed
for the standard map you will get a miss-match.

One of the reasons I don’t recommend new players try alternate maps until
they understand how the game works.

(in reply to ksnoopy)
Post #: 73
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 12:38:52 PM   
btd64

A VERY BIG PLUS ONE....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 74
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 1:47:54 PM   
leftydad

Strategy Gaming Dojo has the best WITP video tutorials on YouTube, hands down. He's introducing many new players to this game (with in-depth, accessible, knowledgeable, lucid, clear, precise videos) who otherwise would have not given it a try.

He knows what he's doing.

James

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 75
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 5:17:26 PM   
Kull

In this case, he didn't:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbrandonellis

Kull - Ahhhhhh, yes. I've always played the stock map prior to doing this tutorial, but wanted it to look a little nicer on video. Thanks for that info and fixed

To his credit he acknowledged the error and fixed it in subsequent videos, but unfortunately it remains in the opening few videos.

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 76
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/3/2021 7:00:16 PM   
ksnoopy

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 77
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/22/2021 1:41:15 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Bellum Pacifica Kamikaze

Stock map - new labels,swamps added

Download on Kamikaze
(upgrade May18)

Extended map - new labels/swamps KamikazeExtended
(small upgrade on 3July18)

MakeeLearn are you still around? This is the most beautiful of all Gary Grigsby Game Map Mods! Can you make WITE2 look like this as well!?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 4/22/2021 1:42:10 AM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 78
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/24/2021 1:49:02 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

MakeeLearn are you still around? This is the most beautiful of all Gary Grigsby Game Map Mods! Can you make WITE2 look like this as well!?

The map art in War in the East 2 works in a completely different way than War in the Pacific. Rather than large panel bitmaps, it uses a series of somewhat generic tile art ( mountains, woods, swamps, etc. ) to generate the art for each hex. Basically it's a mosaic system not a tableau. Which gives the map a rather bland and vanilla appearance, but likely speeds up game performance and saves space.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 79
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/26/2021 5:22:39 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

quote:

The map art in War in the East 2 works in a completely different way than War in the Pacific. Rather than large panel bitmaps, it uses a series of somewhat generic tile art ( mountains, woods, swamps, etc. ) to generate the art for each hex. Basically it's a mosaic system not a tableau. Which gives the map a rather bland and vanilla appearance, but likely speeds up game performance and saves space.

Ah agreed it is very bland and vanilla and uninteresting. Oh well a boy can dream! So it cannot be modded any better? That is a shame...

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 80
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/26/2021 9:22:34 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

Ah agreed it is very bland and vanilla and uninteresting. Oh well a boy can dream! So it cannot be modded any better? That is a shame...

Oh, the map art in WITE2 can be modded. You can go in and jazz up the individual art tiles. But, you can't really give the overall map a sense of individual style or specific geography. It's sort of like creating a wall mural with a pile of generic bricks painted with a limited palette of colors rather than just painting it direct.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 81
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/26/2021 10:42:55 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

It's sort of like creating a wall mural with a pile of generic bricks painted with a limited palette of colors rather than just painting it direct.

Yeah, it's like comparing a mosaic to a full spectrum painting. Mosaics can look okay from a distance, but less impressive close up when you just start seeing the individual and repetitive tiles. And modding the tiles only goes so far.

War in the West uses the same art system. I imagine it saves the game developers money in the long run though. Rather than having to hire an artist to craft a whole new map for a specific title, they can just 'plug in the blocks' whenever they need another map or extension. But, it makes for a rather uninspiring looking map and really limits the scope of what you can do as a modder. Which is a shame as the map is the item you usually spend 90% of your time looking at in in grand strategic games. I guess we're fortunate that WitP was made the way it was.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 82
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Map - 4/27/2021 6:16:22 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

It's sort of like creating a wall mural with a pile of generic bricks painted with a limited palette of colors rather than just painting it direct.

Yeah, it's like comparing a mosaic to a full spectrum painting. Mosaics can look okay from a distance, but less impressive close up when you just start seeing the individual and repetitive tiles. And modding the tiles only goes so far.

War in the West uses the same art system. I imagine it saves the game developers money in the long run though. Rather than having to hire an artist to craft a whole new map for a specific title, they can just 'plug in the blocks' whenever they need another map or extension. But, it makes for a rather uninspiring looking map and really limits the scope of what you can do as a modder. Which is a shame as the map is the item you usually spend 90% of your time looking at in in grand strategic games. I guess we're fortunate that WitP was made the way it was.

Interesting! Did not realize how lucky we are!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 83
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/14/2022 10:45:11 AM   
basilstaghare

If you are using the Reluctant Admiral Mod, is there a way to use this map mod with the RA Mod? When I try, the Abadan off map boxes do not line up. I know that there are different data sets for different scenarios, so Im guessing that the two mods are not compatible? Thanks.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 84
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/14/2022 12:19:47 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: basilstaghare

If you are using the Reluctant Admiral Mod, is there a way to use this map mod with the RA Mod? When I try, the Abadan off map boxes do not line up. I know that there are different data sets for different scenarios, so Im guessing that the two mods are not compatible? Thanks.

I would not say that this map is incompatible with Reluctant Admiral but it is probably
not advisable to use it with that mod unless you know what changes were made to both
the Data files and the map art tiles.

The RA mod uses the extended map and the team made even more changes beyond that.

In the RA documentation there is a list of these changes. (Below)

In addition to the Data files the team modified the map and provided four custom map art tiles.
This gives the player a visual indication during play.

In the documentation when you see something like “Change W Hexside from Blocked to Land (04 to 01)”
You need to understand what that means.

So if you work your way through the changes and understand them you should be alright.
Advanced stuff, it depends on your skill level.

You can even make you own mark ups to the map art tiles and be good to go if you are
Skilled enough to do that. Advanced stuff.

In PBEM both players have to use the same map data files but not necessarily the same
map art tiles although that is strongly advisable.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 85
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/14/2022 12:26:56 PM   
basilstaghare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

quote:

I would not say that this map is incompatible with Reluctant Admiral but it is probably
not advisable to use it with that mod unless you know what changes were made to both
the Data files and the map art tiles.

The RA mod uses the extended map and the team made even more changes beyond that.

In the RA documentation there is a list of these changes. (Below)

In addition to the Data files the team modified the map and provided four custom map art tiles.
This gives the player a visual indication during play.

In the documentation when you see something like “Change W Hexside from Blocked to Land (04 to 01)”
You need to understand what that means.

So if you work your way through the changes and understand them you should be alright.
Advanced stuff, it depends on your skill level.

You can even make you own mark ups to the map art tiles and be good to go if you are
Skilled enough to do that. Advanced stuff.

In PBEM both players have to use the same map data files but not necessarily the same
map art tiles although that is strongly advisable.

Thank you for your in depth reply. I think the short answer for me, is "no." I have a RA save where I made it to Oct 22, 1942 as the Allies and then stopped playing about 2 years ago. After watching the strategy dojo tutorial videos (those are really good!), I have an itch to take my save game up again but wanted to use this nice map mod featured in those videos. Looking at your reply, I dont think that would be within my very limited skill set. Thanks again for your help.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 86
RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica - 2/20/2022 7:24:47 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

It sounds like you are not using the extended map version of Bellum Pacifica?

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 87
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI