Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 8 – Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Turn 8 – Empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 8 – Empire - 2/13/2022 12:48:48 AM   
rhinobones

Empire drives on Tszaq and Kobdo.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 31
Turn 8 – Dalan - 2/13/2022 12:50:16 AM   
rhinobones

The offensive in Dalan begins.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 32
Turn 8 – Kongwa - 2/13/2022 12:51:37 AM   
rhinobones

Kongwa mobilizes.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 33
Turn 8 – Overview - 2/13/2022 12:52:54 AM   
rhinobones

View of action in Kobdo, Dalan and Kongwa.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 34
Turn 8 – Leftist - 2/13/2022 12:53:44 AM   
rhinobones

Leftist counter moves.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 35
Turn 9 – Empire - 2/15/2022 6:33:58 PM   
rhinobones

The Empire performs a major assault against Tszaq.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 36
Turn 9 – Dalan - 2/15/2022 6:35:09 PM   
rhinobones

Action in the desert.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 37
Turn 9 – Bayan - 2/15/2022 6:36:45 PM   
rhinobones

Bayan troops assault Kobdo.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 38
Turn 9 – Overview & Conclusion - 2/15/2022 6:37:57 PM   
rhinobones

The overview shows the final disposition of Imperial forces and what is known of the Leftist deployments. The Leftist found their position untenable and elected to concede the war. A few days later a new war broke out, and that will be documented in a separate AA.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 39
RE: Turn 9 – Overview & Conclusion - 2/16/2022 8:05:51 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

The overview shows the final disposition of Imperial forces and what is known of the Leftist deployments. The Leftist found their position untenable and elected to concede the war. A few days later a new war broke out, and that will be documented in a separate AA.

Thanks for the AAR, it gives a good initial feel for the scenario. It seems though that the Leftists had pretty bad luck, in that the majority of their forces were confined to offshore islands, but by random event the sealift didn't activate during the critical early phase of the scenario so they were unable to use them. Was there something that the Leftists could have done differently to avoid a defeat based on these conditions? Was it a mistake for the Leftists to launch an early escalation by activating all of their allies on turn 1?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 40
RE: Turn 9 – Overview & Conclusion - 2/16/2022 1:47:10 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

It seems though that the Leftists had pretty bad luck, in that the majority of their forces were confined to offshore islands, but by random event the sealift didn't activate during the critical early phase of the scenario, so they were unable to use them. Was there something that the Leftists could have done differently to avoid a defeat based on these conditions? Was it a mistake for the Leftists to launch an early escalation by activating all of their allies on turn 1?

Lots of questions. I’ll try to answer and provide a bit of analysis.

Bad Luck. The Leftists (Larry) could have had a better roll of the dice. Leftist had three allies on the continent (Geita was occupied by the Empire and unable to deploy) which were never in a position to provide mutual assistance. Tszaq is next door to the Empire’s capital and was on the verge of being overrun.

Sea Lift. Whenever Chunya or Pangani start as a capital they start with enough sealift to transport two small units per turn. Used aggressively, the player can quickly occupy offshore resources and capital cities. A continental based player does not have that capacity. Bottom line, Chunya could have done quite a bit of damage before the major sealift deployed.

Turn 1 Allies. House rule is that a PBM game is only valid when the Empire starts with three or four allied Theater Options. For myself, I’ll typically use all first turn TOs. Also, note that once a TO is used, a delay of up to eight turns is possible before city allegiance is determined. As the game progresses you may get TOs for cities located in positions where you really do not want an enemy to appear. In that case the player can hold off using the TO until after the city’s deployment hexes have been occupied. Do this just in case the city turns against you.

Learning Curve. Give the Leftist (Larry) credit for being a gamer and not giving up on the scenario. Could the Leftist had played differently? Absolutely. This is not a scenario where the objectives are designated and points awarded. Players make their own objectives based on the forces at hand and beat the other player on the head. We are in game #3 and Larry is not the same player as in game #1.

Larry may want to offer some comments on the scenario. In the meantime, we’re enjoying the competition and another AAR is in the works. The next AAR will make it evident how then use of random force deployments makes this scenario a bit different.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 41
RE: Turn 9 – Overview & Conclusion - 2/16/2022 2:38:27 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Lots of questions. I’ll try to answer and provide a bit of analysis.

Bad Luck. The Leftists (Larry) could have had a better roll of the dice. Leftist had three allies on the continent (Geita was occupied by the Empire and unable to deploy) which were never in a position to provide mutual assistance. Tszaq is next door to the Empire’s capital and was on the verge of being overrun.

Sea Lift. Whenever Chunya or Pangani start as a capital they start with enough sealift to transport two small units per turn. Used aggressively, the player can quickly occupy offshore resources and capital cities. A continental based player does not have that capacity. Bottom line, Chunya could have done quite a bit of damage before the major sealift deployed.

Turn 1 Allies. House rule is that a PBM game is only valid when the Empire starts with three or four allied Theater Options. For myself, I’ll typically use all first turn TOs. Also, note that once a TO is used, a delay of up to eight turns is possible before city allegiance is determined. As the game progresses you may get TOs for cities located in positions where you really do not want an enemy to appear. In that case the player can hold off using the TO until after the city’s deployment hexes have been occupied. Do this just in case the city turns against you.

Learning Curve. Give the Leftist (Larry) credit for being a gamer and not giving up on the scenario. Could the Leftist had played differently? Absolutely. This is not a scenario where the objectives are designated and points awarded. Players make their own objectives based on the forces at hand and beat the other player on the head. We are in game #3 and Larry is not the same player as in game #1.

Larry may want to offer some comments on the scenario. In the meantime, we’re enjoying the competition and another AAR is in the works. The next AAR will make it evident how then use of random force deployments makes this scenario a bit different.

Regards

Thanks again- that's very illuminating. I've got a lot on my TOAW wishlist at the moment and very little time, but I've always wanted to try this scenario out. I like anything where players need to work out what to do from first principles rather than based on doing or not doing whatever worked for someone else.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 2/16/2022 2:39:06 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 42
RE: Turn 9 – Overview & Conclusion - 2/16/2022 4:24:59 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Thanks again- that's very illuminating. I've got a lot on my TOAW wishlist at the moment and very little time, but I've always wanted to try this scenario out. I like anything where players need to work out what to do from first principles rather than based on doing or not doing whatever worked for someone else.

Roger that.

If in the future you want to fire up a game, I’m usually available for a 10-turn trial. Options to continue thereafter.

For fun I’m attaching the last END_OF_TURN file. Opening requires both the SEC and Graphics Override files.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Turn 8 – Empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI