Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 2:29:48 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals (e.g. O'Connor (5) to Monty (7) in 1940/41 for the UK,or Von Bock/Kuchler (6) to Manstein (9) in 1940 for Germany)? Costs less MPPs than buying a new HQ in the short run, but maybe not worth it in the long run, assuming you'll be buying more HQs at some point?

< Message edited by OxfordGuy3 -- 2/17/2022 2:30:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 2:35:41 PM   
klschult

I have never done so. I don't know what the advantage of the higher rating is but I do not get the impression it is worth it. Eventually, my goal, except with the Americans, is to build all available HQ and max out logistics to build 5 more. (But then my victory conditions are play the AI at easy and control every hex on the map before taking the last capital, so YMMV.)

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 2:39:35 PM   
elveranomaslargo

Yes, I do. It is worth usually, as you get substantial increases in efficiency of your attached units.

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 3:04:47 PM   
Taxman66

Yes, Gort -> Monty is a huge increase.

It's also a neat way to get Experience pips immediately on a better General (e.g. after Poland)

It's a way to get an improvement once you've maxed out (barring logistics research improvements) on the number of HQs you can have too.

Timing and determining best use of funds is judgmental and situational.
With the probable exception of Gort -> Monty, I would say you are better off getting C&C research chit(s) over upgrading individual HQs. Each C&C level increases all your HQs' rating by 1, increases the number of units they can command by 1 and I believe also increases the range they can command them by 1. The icing on the cake is that at C&C level 2 the HQs also get an additional Action Point (i.e. movement point).

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to elveranomaslargo)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 7:30:58 PM   
archmache

If you swap to Manstein before Poland invasion you will see the effect it has. Going from 6-9 is a huge increase. If you swap to Manstein before Poland by the end of France you will have a vet 3 Manstein HQ that will be rated 10. C&C will finish up around August so (each level of exp is worth about 1 level on the HQ) so you will have a level 13 HQ to basically spearhead wherever - very useful for Battle of Britain for air control or for moving to N/A. Coupled with Rommel the Africa Corps will smash any Allies Resistance.

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 9:06:27 PM   
Bavre

HQ rating and XP have a big influence on your units readiness and therefore performance, so upgrading your guys is something I'd definitely recommend (eventually).

2 technical aspects:

XP is tied to the HQ unit, not the General. So you can for example use the low end HQs of Germany for Poland/France/early Barbarossa and only upgrade to Manstein and Kesselring shortly before the difficult fights start. The XP will be transfered.

The cost of upgrading depends solely on the rating of the new guy, not the difference between old and new.

And of course this has (like almost everything in the game) the usual snowball effect. Better HQ -> better combat results -> more XP for units and HQ -> better combat results....
The only reason I hold off upgrading HQs in the WW2 games is that the early phases are so onesided, Manstein in Poland is just overkill imho. In the WW1 game where the early game fighting is somewhat less lopsided and has a big influence on the further course of the match, I usually upgrade my HQs BEFORE I do any research!

< Message edited by Bavre -- 2/17/2022 9:16:11 PM >

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/17/2022 11:10:58 PM   
Elessar2

IIRC the experience didn't used to be transferrable, tho I could be wrong.

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? - 2/18/2022 12:02:05 AM   
archmache

it is now

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does anyone upgrade existing HQs to better generals? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI