Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How is Finland?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: How is Finland? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 12:49:51 PM   
Teemu1986

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardradi
Thank you for your comment. In my post I was specifically meaning the Murmansk railway even though I did not mention it. In this case I understand that diplomatic pressure played a significant part in curtailing the Finnish advance. Specifically the Finnish III Corps.

The possibilities for cutting the Murmansk railroad existed from Dec 41 onwards when Finns reached Karhumäki (Medvezhyegorsk). In East Karelia the balance of forces was advantageous for continued offensive in the winter.
For the Finnish III Corps and the German forces, the resistance of the Red Army was too formidable in that sector of the front.

Diplomatic pressure was a factor in connection to the general military situation. After the Wehrmacht suffered a reversal of fortune in the front of Moscow, Finland had to consider a long war and a strong possibility that Germany will be defeated. Finland wouldn't care about British/American pressure if the Russian Colossus crumbles.

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 31
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 1:57:54 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Teemu1986

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardradi
Thank you for your comment. In my post I was specifically meaning the Murmansk railway even though I did not mention it. In this case I understand that diplomatic pressure played a significant part in curtailing the Finnish advance. Specifically the Finnish III Corps.

The possibilities for cutting the Murmansk railroad existed from Dec 41 onwards when Finns reached Karhumäki (Medvezhyegorsk). In East Karelia the balance of forces was advantageous for continued offensive in the winter.
For the Finnish III Corps and the German forces, the resistance of the Red Army was too formidable in that sector of the front.

Diplomatic pressure was a factor in connection to the general military situation. After the Wehrmacht suffered a reversal of fortune in the front of Moscow, Finland had to consider a long war and a strong possibility that Germany will be defeated. Finland wouldn't care about British/American pressure if the Russian Colossus crumbles.

German reversal near Moscow was also combined with one of the Hitler's less than stellar decisions, declaring war on USA.

That certainly caused government and military leadership of Finland to reassess situation.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 2/5/2022 2:00:34 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Teemu1986)
Post #: 32
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 2:00:18 PM   
Stamb

Was it possible for the Germans to not be in a war with USA while their allies - Japan are?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 33
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 2:18:50 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamb

Was it possible for the Germans to not be in a war with USA while their allies - Japan are?

It was. The German alliance with Japan was as loose as an alliance gets. There was barely any coordination between the two. Hitler declaring war on the USA was one of his biggest mistakes.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 34
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 2:51:44 PM   
AlbertN

Tripartite Pact was entirely defensive - thus yes Eu-Axis could have washed hands of US and let the Japan have a go at it.

Then people may argue about what USA would have done in that situation. With an active war at hand would the 'democratic popular demand' sway it to a Japan only business and not wanting to bleed further for someone that ... have not exactly directly aggressed them in a way akin to Pearl Harbour, the 'Day of Infamy'? Would have it be steered to get involved in European war over time, through popular opinion, propaganda and congress battles?

It's a huge What-If business; which in general in WW2 games for balance sake - where kept as option - merely delays US entry in a 'total war' by some months; and that is a quite viable way to handle it. But it is entirely out of the scope and purpose here.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 35
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 3:15:42 PM   
Sardaukar

Roosevelt had stretched neutrality a lot towards UK side, but isolationist public opinion and politicians had prevented further steps.

With Japan attacking Pearl Harbor, focus would have shifted quite totally towards Pacific. Roosevelt would have had great difficulty getting support for declaring war on Germany also. Thus Hitler did a great favour for Allies by declaring war on USA.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 36
RE: How is Finland? - 2/5/2022 3:52:11 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Roosevelt had stretched neutrality a lot towards UK side, but isolationist public opinion and politicians had prevented further steps.

With Japan attacking Pearl Harbor, focus would have shifted quite totally towards Pacific. Roosevelt would have had great difficulty getting support for declaring war on Germany also. Thus Hitler did a great favour for Allies by declaring war on USA.

This has always been my view on the matter as well. It would have been hard for Roosevelt to "sell" a European war to the American people when Germany had made no aggressive moves towards the US. Hitler foolishly declaring war on the USA meant that the decision was made for the Americans and all they had to do is declare war back.

To the matter at hand: I think it is more than plausible that a German player that is doing a lot better than history and that has captured Leningrad would have caused the Finns to have an opinion change on whether they would pursue further offensive action against the Soviets or not.

It would be nice to have some events that reflect that and would make the game more dynamic/would incentivize the Soviets to defend the North harder while at the same time incentivizing the German player to not neglect AGN.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 37
RE: How is Finland? - 2/6/2022 5:50:29 AM   
Feltan

Not only was Hitler declaring war against the US a huge error, he missed a grand opportunity.

What if post Pearl Harbor, Hitler voided the Tripartite Pact and declared war against Japan and offered support to the US.

No way the US congress could have ever declared war against Germany with that olive branch extended. Too many German-American heritage population (I seem to recall about 60% of US population at the time was either German heritage or partial heritage).

Thankfully the world didn't have to deal with that mess.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 38
RE: How is Finland? - 2/7/2022 3:22:43 AM   
Sardaukar

I am reasonably happy with Finnish TB. There are few things I'd change though.

1. Finnish divisions should arrive north of Leningrad when city is captured. Finns did not want to have anything to do with the city, btw.

2. Combat intensity after capture should be set higher with theater troop commitments adjusted.

3. Event for (small) chance of severing Murmansk rail connection. That'd require reducing Lend-Lease a bit (most of it came via Persia).

I am not sure if that could be modded or requiring a code change.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 2/7/2022 3:24:01 AM >

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 39
RE: How is Finland? - 2/8/2022 6:15:37 AM   
Teemu1986

quote:

I am reasonably happy with Finnish TB. There are few things I'd change though.

1. Finnish divisions should arrive north of Leningrad when city is captured. Finns did not want to have anything to do with the city, btw.

2. Combat intensity after capture should be set higher with theater troop commitments adjusted.

3. Event for (small) chance of severing Murmansk rail connection. That'd require reducing Lend-Lease a bit (most of it came via Persia).

I am not sure if that could be modded or requiring a code change.

1. Most likely they would deploy to East Karelia. If there is no Svir front due to German advances, it’s a different matter. Then put as many as 9 on the map.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 40
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 4:46:35 PM   
Stamb

Am I the only one who expects to receive I Fin. Corps as Fin. Expeditionary Corps on a map? This is what I can see from a message. But I Fin. corps is still in Finland and locked.

Is this a bug?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Teemu1986)
Post #: 41
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 5:11:45 PM   
RedJohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamb

Am I the only one who expects to receive I Fin. Corps as Fin. Expeditionary Corps on a map? This is what I can see from a message. But I Fin. corps is still in Finland and locked.

Is this a bug?

As far as I'm aware you don't get the I Corps. The finnish divisions should appear in your reinforcement long, usually arriving in like 3-4 turns. You'd expect them to appear at, well, Leningrad, but hey, they appear in Germany.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 42
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 5:23:24 PM   
Stamb

Yeah. I got divisions in Rostock. And no Corps. And I wonder if this is a bug? Foreign divisions take 3 capacity slots each. It is pretty hard to fit them on map. Whole German corps is needed for 3 divisions.

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 43
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 7:56:13 PM   
Hardradi

The Corps is not included as part of the event.

I dont think the in game Event functionality allows you to place units on the map in specific locations.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 44
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 8:01:33 PM   
Stamb

But it says that I Fin. corps becomes Fin. Expeditionary Corps under direct German control and available for on map operations.

I do not see Fin. Expeditionary Corps, I still see I Fin. corps and it is not on the map nor under German control

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 45
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 10:02:40 PM   
AlbertN

That text is fluff.

The real effect text is the one below that it lists clearly only 3 divisions are arriving; and then that the TB needs are altered.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 46
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 10:13:12 PM   
Stamb

Then this text needs to be edited. Or, which is more reasonable thing to do, add that Finish corps to a map. I think it is right idea that Finns arrive with their corps, agree?

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 47
RE: How is Finland? - 2/17/2022 10:20:21 PM   
AlbertN

I do agree that the Corps should arrive on map too.

But all the events have a 'text for historical sake' component, and an 'text depicting game effect' component.
So one is litteral flavour!

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 48
RE: How is Finland? - 2/18/2022 12:46:24 PM   
sven6345789

quote:

You'd expect them to appear at, well, Leningrad, but hey, they appear in Germany.

Could that have to do with reinforcements being hardcoded? Manual says you can bring them in from reserve directly to the map, but only inside your original (1941) borders.

Otherwise, Finland works ok at the moment.

After all, it was a low intensity theatre for most of the war, also due to political reasons.

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 49
RE: How is Finland? - 2/18/2022 12:48:18 PM   
malyhin1517

There are fixed hexes for the arrival of units on the map from the theater. From Finland, units arrive in northern Germany.

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 50
RE: How is Finland? - 2/18/2022 2:37:20 PM   
Karri

quote:

I doubt there was any realistic chance of cutting it permanently. There were no real supply connections the Finns could have used in that direction for logistics, whereas the Soviets were literally supplied by one of the main arteries of lend-lease.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 51
RE: How is Finland? - 2/18/2022 8:15:18 PM   
Teemu1986

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri
I doubt there was any realistic chance of cutting it permanently. There were no real supply connections the Finns could have used in that direction for logistics, whereas the Soviets were literally supplied by one of the main arteries of lend-lease.

Finns were supplied in that direction by the part of Murmansk railroad which was captured.
Military possibilities for success existed according to this Master’s thesis on the topic.
https://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/74464/SM660.pdf

< Message edited by Teemu1986 -- 2/18/2022 8:17:23 PM >

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: How is Finland? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI