Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How's about some good news...??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How's about some good news...?? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How's about some good news...?? - 7/21/2001 2:19:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

A call to arms!! A friend of mine called today and offered his apologies and said it was a shame so many people thought we were doing such a poor job. I had to take a step back and ask what the heck he was talking about?? Unfortunately, for a newbie coming to this forum for the first time, A large number of threads are negative and lead one to believe that things here are not going very well... Well I think that most of you know that is far from the case, and despite the few remaining shipping problems, and esoteric arguments over combat details, the road ahead here at Matrix looks VERY bright!! We don't want to discourage criticism, but if you think that the projects we are working on here at Matrix deserve to see the light of day, we ned to liven things up here and let people who are new to the forum know that dispite the pall of grey many of the threads suggest, that there is a WHOLE LOT of fun being had here!! There are thousands of you registered on the forums, but a only a small fraction post regularly. We are coming out of the shipyard after our "grounding" on the e-commerce shoals ready to kick butt and give you a GREAT series of game, but the feeling one gets reading the forums is that few are happy with the service we have provided and its better to take a wait and see attitude before buying. If too many folks do this the results are quite serious. So we need all you folks that have enjoyed our products and service to pipe up and let the newbies know that we are working hard and care deeply (to the point of near exhaustion) to get the computer wargame community "Out of the 70's" as one recent magazine author put it. But we need the help of the silent majority out there happily playing your Mega-Camapaigns and our other free products. Post your war stories and AAR's, lets see who has waited the LEAST in getting their MC delivered (you unfortunate few whose orders were lost in the shipping channels WILL NOT be forgotten...) email 5 of your friends if you like the MC and urge them to buy a copy. In other words, we can be "customers vs the business" or we can be part of one community that wants to see wargaming move ahead. ITs a slow process, as we battle day jobs, and family commitments, and Murphy, and all else that goes wrong in life...but I think we have shown steady progress and have demonstrated that we do what we can (like version 6.1) when we didn't have to, try to make up for problems we have less control over or are shots down range we can't take back... So Lets make folks who come to the site and forum know that the negative stuff is healthy criticism, but nothing to worry about, and to help us sell out MC1 Desert Fox quickly and prime the pump for even more of you to get MC2 Lost Victories. OK back to CA/CL for the weekend...I return you now to your regular war... [ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 1
- 7/21/2001 2:39:00 AM   
Randy Stead

Paul, I'm sorry to see that you guys have been taking some flak. I'm sorry to say that I'm one of those who have been waiting on the sidelines for all the problems to get solved before ordering. :o Well, no more. I'm going to get off my butt and demonstrate my faith by ordering a Mega Campaign CD. This game has provided literally thousands of people with endless hours of entertainment and it would be a shame if it's development were to be halted. Let's keep those tanks rolling! :)

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 7/21/2001 2:57:00 AM   
mao

I guess you always hear the people who are not happy, the silent happy majority is quiet. I am very pleased with v6.1, with MCNA. I pre-ordered MC1 and was not fazed by the problems (I hope those few people with problems receive their disks soon), I will order MC2 as soon as it is available and am looking forward to MC3 (hopefully an Allied campaign?). At the moment I will definitely pay for any new SPW@W product you guys sell, so keep producing... Anyway, back to the desert... [ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: mao ]

Post #: 3
- 7/21/2001 2:59:00 AM   
Randy Stead

Just checking back in to say that I've just put my [plastic] money where my mouth is and ordered the MCNA disk. Let's hope that more fencesitters will do the same. One question: How will the Mega Campaign integrate with my existing version of SPWAW, 6.1? Since the Mega Campaign was released with version 5 and we are now up to version 6.1 are there any "retro-installation" issues when installing the Mega Campaign into a newer version of the game?

Post #: 4
- 7/21/2001 3:17:00 AM   
TheZel66

one thing that would help is to remove all the bug report issues, and ordering issues to the other forums that are dedicated to those issues, and save this one for game strategy, scenario update, etc...

Post #: 5
- 7/21/2001 3:22:00 AM   
Grumble

quote:

one thing that would help is to remove all the bug report issues, and ordering issues to the other forums that are dedicated to those issues, and save this one for game strategy, scenario update, etc...
Shack. I would also say that MANY of the "problems" posted might be solved by a: RTFM, and b: go into the "Preferences" or OOB Editor and making the changes you desire. If that causes problems with differing OOBs for PBEM, or internet play then work something out between opponents...

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 6
- 7/21/2001 3:48:00 AM   
mcbradley

I’d be glad to post positive . . . trouble is, I’m having too much fun with SPWAW to devote much time to forums! However, I just happen to have some dead time at work so, what the heck, I’ll post! This game is wonderful! It is history, not fantasy. You’ve got a top score to beat - how well the REAL commanders did. It’s got action, yet it makes you think. You have to find ways to recover from your mistakes. You have to employ strategy and tactics, not just splatter a bunch of mutants with plasma rifles. Since this type of game does NOT rely on brain-numbing graphics and eye candy, it won’t become obsolete when the next version of DirectX comes out, or the next generation of video cards comes on the market. It’s timeless. I could be entertained with this game until I die! It does seem to me that a lot of the criticism is pretty nit-pickish in nature, dwelling on historic minutia and little “glitches”. It also seems that some folks either give up too easy (an all too common malady these days), or need to understand the workings of a PC a little better. Kinda like owning a car and not bothering to find out how to change a blown fuse when the horn stops working. Thing is, you won’t see many posts from people that don’t have problems. Why should they, they’re playing the game! Indeed, some folks are having serious problems, and from what I’ve seen, are getting some high-quality help from this forum, and from Matrix. You get a hell of a lot better customer service here than you do with companies that charge an arm and a leg for their bugware. Matrix is GIVING the game away. You don’t have to pay one thin dime to enjoy this great form of entertainment. One could spend months playing this game as-is and not get bored. When you’ve played all the scenarios, use your imagination and MAKE UP YOUR OWN. The Mega Campaigns are just the icing on the cake. I guess some people just can’t resist looking gift horses in the mouth . . . I’ve never been much of one for forums in general, but when I started checking into this one, I saw that this IS a community, an international one at that. Like any community, there will be differences of opinion. That’s great. Any time there is a civilized difference of opinion, it should be recognized for what it is: THE signature of freedom. End of rant. O. Bradley

Air Force Brat (Ret.)

Post #: 7
- 7/21/2001 4:05:00 AM   
Red Baron

Stop And Think..!! Since I discovered SP back in 95´, I’ve been completely hooked! Sure I’ve bought a lot of other games in the past 6 years, SP2 and SP3 ;) Well I’ve tried out a lot of other “Best Strategy war game ever” sought of games, but it has been hard to find anything that reach that kind of game that I fancy. And through the past 3 years it has only become better and better, not due to any commercial company, oh no!! But through the hard and enthusiastic work of people who wants to share their hobby with others – Camo Shop, The Raiders and now The Matrixgames. Not to mention a lot of individuals making Scen´s , Campaigns, Editors and you name it!!. Then after giving us the greats step forward since SPWW2, namely WAW, Matrix decides to turn commercial!! Off course they do! If it’s still have to be possible to bring us improvements of their up till now done FREE products and develop even greater games, that’s a necessity. And if some of the most “Iron headed” ;) critic’s out there just bothered use some common sense and do a bit of math, I’m sure they will reach the result, that there is absolutely no one in the world these days getting rich by doing these kind of war games :eek: And so what with a little waiting on the products – I’d waited nearly 3 month on my CD!..Well I most admit that I’d got a little impatient in the end ;) - I’m sure that a lot of us have tried to wait very long for products from the big software company’s, paid a lot of money for products way out of league compared with this one. That’s all for now and in the future I’ll try only to be positive! :D :D Regards..Michael.

Post #: 8
- 7/21/2001 4:20:00 AM   
Drex

I just got my Mega-campaign and I am happy to report a decisive victory in my first battle! What a game! I have a stack of wargames sitting next to my computer but SPWAW is the only one I play everyday, in fact its the only one on my harddrive anymore.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 9
- 7/21/2001 4:32:00 AM   
Grimm

I am also too busy playing to post very often! Since SP1 came out, the series has been a mainstay on my computer and play list. SPWAW is simply the best in that series. While at first glance there is alot of criticisms on this board, if you take the time to read them you will see that it is mostly CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. So many people post their comments because they see very quick replies from the people in the know to their problems. Not only has Matrix taken Steel Panthers to a higher level they are also trying to take customer service to a higher level as well. Admittedly they have had some problems getting the MegaCampaign out but I would expect they are taking good notes and will not repeat the mistakes when MC2 is ready to ship! :D

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

Post #: 10
- 7/21/2001 4:37:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Drex: I have a stack of wargames sitting next to my computer but SPWAW is the only one I play everyday, in fact its the only one on my harddrive anymore.
Same here! Anybody want some other games - cheap!?! :D Not only is SPWaW the only game on my hard drive, but I have SIX of them! Each is dedicated for a certain purpose, i.e., PBEM, Testing, Design, etc., etc. (I even have one old v5.1 for the die-hards who may not be able to find anybody else with it for PBEM.) I couldn't be more happy with Matrix unless they decided to pay my rent, too! :D :D [ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 11
- 7/21/2001 4:38:00 AM   
SAMWolf

I want to order Lost Victories and it's still not available. Is that a complaint? ;)

Post #: 12
- 7/21/2001 5:03:00 AM   
LeibstandartePzD

Finally got a new computer after a violent crash a few weeks ago. I believe Matrix is doing an outstanding job! Based upon the quality of the games, the unreal level os support/patching, and the input from staff members here on the boards and thru e-mail is most excellent. You have earned my respect to the point that even if you were to release a game that I reaaly wasn't interested in I would buy it simply to help support the company. So to sum it up I believe you aer doing an outstanding job and I hopeto see you continue this way for a long time to come. The porblems with the MC were bad but realisticly they were not your direct fault. Besides I think they were a good learning experience and will allow you to do things better in the future. As the old saying goes a bitching soldier is a happy soldier, so true with gamers.

Respectfully,
Jason E. Otto
Former member of the 8th US Cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech

Post #: 13
- 7/21/2001 5:39:00 AM   
Monte

Now, this is a rude awakening. :( With a product like SPWaW, and such a loyal community hanging around these waters, I can hardly understand Paul’s fears. I doubt that any newbie would come to the forum first, before downloading the game and trying it for himself. And the quality of the game speaks volumes, there is nobody who can torpedo such an effort and obvious hard work just by ranting on this forum. And even if a newbie wanders to the forum first, what can he see? A very lively forum bursting with activity and 48000 messages? That’s because the game is bad, right? Please... The level of detail that is usually discussed here is definitely not something that a complete newbie can understand if he never played the game. If he is wondering about some Monte’s rant on early German 37 mm HE, he will be tempted to download the game and see for himself what this guy is talking about, right? I can not comprehend how would this hurt Matrix. Half of the selling job is done if somebody downloads your free game. Whoever gets hooked eventually buys MC. Correct me if I am wrong, but forum is full of public announcements that the user such and such just ordered MCNA. So did I. Paul, your target consumer group are hard-core wargaming fans, not every John and Sally. From what I see, your target consumer group is not stupid at all. What is hooking them on the game is almost sadistic (no offense, please) will to live with the limitations of the weapon systems, tactics and reality of WWII. They don’t give up easily. Neither in the game, nor in the reality. Heck, most of these guys here were with the Matrix from the very beginning. Ask yourself what your customers want to read here. Even a potential newbie. I would argue that if this forum fills with propaganda statements and bursting optimism from every word that is said, you will have a negative effect, not a boost to your sales. The only problem that I see on this forum is the authority that radiates from competent guys you meet here. It takes some guts for a newbie to address Wild Bill Wilder, for example. Heck, anonymous as I am, I could not even muster a simple congratulation for his newborn grandson :) Paul, be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Post #: 14
- 7/21/2001 5:49:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

Way to be, Randy....Like you I put my money where my mouth is. Matrix makes the kind of wargames I want to play..and play and play. I got my Mega campaign disc and I'm waiting for the east front CD. 'm playing to PBEM of SPWAW with longstanding CM buds. Niether had played SP since the original. I'm on my second game with one and about to get my butt kicked on te other. If ya think I'm happy..you're right.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

Post #: 15
- 7/21/2001 5:58:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

Freedom of speech is a priviledge.....but one that need not be abused. Nothing troubles me more than to know the efforts that Paul, David, Wild Bill, and countless others have put into developing SPWaW, and yet see those who continuously critize and degrade. This is simply not fair. Constructive critism is good....we learn from that. But blatant critism of those who have given their all to make this great game what it is.......is not acceptable. Think about what you say in this forum and, more importantly, think about the people who are reading it. Panzer Captain. [ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Panzer Captain ]

Post #: 16
- 7/21/2001 6:03:00 AM   
El Vito

I got my Mega Campaign CD, but I been so busy with PBEM I really haven't devoted as much time as I would like. But playing version 6.1 is very good I must say. I am very anxious for the Lost Victories Campaign disc to come out. I will buy it for sure. Meantime, the Steppes of Russia await.

Post #: 17
- 7/21/2001 6:15:00 AM   
AlvinS

I have played Steel Panthers since version one. What Matrix has done for this game is simply amazing. All of the other games I have played before are collecting dust. The only problem I am having with the mega campaign(besides mines)is lack of sleep. Its hard to back away from the "just one more turn" syndrome. :D Matrix will have my future business. I can't wait for Lost Victories.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

Post #: 18
- 7/21/2001 6:21:00 AM   
Tombstone

SPWAW rules. Simple. I literally play almost every game that hits the shelves (real and virtual) my hard drive goes through hundreds of games but SPWAW stays through all of it. It can be a pain to download such a large file, and in most cases that can discourage a person... but here at Matrix its EASY to find someone to burn you a copy and SEND it to you! It's amazing, but then again it's always been like this... (Perhaps this should be noted on the downloads screen for those people who dont read the forums.) Tomo

Post #: 19
- 7/21/2001 7:04:00 AM   
bradmbrown

I fell in love with tabletop wargames when a friend brought over Avalon Hill's "Blitzkrieg." That was a LONG time ago. Nevermind... Since then I have fought at Waterloo, Gettysburg, the Ardennes Forest, Kursk, Borodino, Antietam, Arabella, Chinese Farm and HUNDREDS more. Seems the more detail I craved, the worse I was at digesting rules. Sure, we all know, if rules are well written, after a few turns they make sense and things happen a bit more smoothly, still, well, you know... I have friends who are crazy about Squad Leader and you know something? I have been unwilling to commit myself to such an HUGE and UNWIELDLY rules system. My friends say, "Come on! You gotta come over, we have this GREAT scenario!" Well, I would love a great scenario if it weren't for ALL THOSE EDITIONS OF RULES, on and on and on and on. Now comes along SPWAW. HEHEHE!!! I downloaded it as soon as I ran into it on the web and I have lost a LOT of sleep since. There are no rivals as far as I know. I can take as long as I want to play, no fear of the cat walking across the old table downstairs (Terrible Swift Sword). No one has spilt a coffee on a game yet (Wellington's Victory, Pickett's Charge, Midway). No wife has threatened to leave because of lack of petting, praising and attention (Divorced: no worries, mate!). I don't have to grow a long thumb nail and index finger nail to get at those STACKS. (I hate stacks). No need for a referree in double blind games! It is hard enough to find opponents, let alone another who wants to attend and umpire. There is one and only ONE beef I have about this game: I cannot find (or afford) a four feet wide by eight feet long computer screen, which would be HEAVEN.....

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

Post #: 20
- 7/21/2001 7:48:00 AM   
Nikademus

I've been so happy with 6.1, i hav'nt even minded getting my head handed to me playing Evil Bill's tough scenerios. :p You guys are the best!

Post #: 21
- 7/21/2001 8:10:00 AM   
Randy

:)Team Matrix has done one heck of a job!! I feel they have really burnt the midnight oil in making SPWAW an awesome game. There is no comparison to the original Steel Panthers. The graphics and flexibility of this game cannot be beat. Though I have yet to jump into Wild Bill's "inferno" I'm sure it is as top notch as are his other works!! I'm eagerly waiting for Mega Campaign 2. For over a year this game has been free, so I feel the cost of the Mega Campaign is a small fee. :cool: Happy Gaming. Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 22
- 7/21/2001 8:23:00 AM   
Larry W. Wilson

I've played Steel Panthers since the game first came out back in '95 or so. SPWAW is the ultimate WWII game for me. I've played Panzer Elite, Panzer Commander, Combat Mission, all the Panzer General series, West Front, East Front2,and all the rest. What the Matrix team has done is to create the best WWII combat game on the market---bar none. Thanks Matrix for all your hard work. Sure there have been a few bumps in the road, but these are nothing more than "growing pains" to be expected. Looking forward to the next MC already.

Twenty-Nine, Let's Go

Post #: 23
- 7/21/2001 10:29:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Monte: I would argue that if this forum fills with propaganda statements and bursting optimism from every word that is said, you will have a negative effect, not a boost to your sales.
You find any "optimistic propaganda" in here, make sure you let me know so I can double-ditto it. If you have some beef with the enthusiastic support of Matrix that I'm reading here, that's your problem, and if you're not careful I'll sic Sven on you. :eek:

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 24
- 7/21/2001 10:45:00 AM   
G Van Horne

I have to admit that I am one of the "quiet ones". I have been quite busy working on my house, however, I always find time to check out the forum first and then a couple of hrs in the "field". I will support Matrix now and in the future. I can't express how much I appreciate all the work and sleepless nites that Matrix has put into this amazing game.(and upcoming games). I have ordered the first MC and when it arrives, I will order the next. I have been telling most of my friends about SPWAW and I know that quite a few of them have downloaded it. I will continue to "pass the word. True story ! I started playing the first day it was available (and SP2WW2) and you could probably count on both hands the days I did NOT crank it up.(family reunion, daughter's graduation, my stent implant, etc). SP and WW2 is a big thing with me. About two weeks ago, I got a hold of 6 letters that my Dad sent to his mom during the war. Along with his canteen, puttees/weights, small pack, and web belt. Thanx, Matrix ! Garth

What's the weight of a pull-thru?

Post #: 25
- 7/21/2001 11:23:00 AM   
Monte

quote:

You find any "optimistic propaganda" in here, make sure you let me know so I can double-ditto it. If you have some beef with the enthusiastic support of Matrix that I'm reading here, that's your problem, and if you're not careful I'll sic Sven on you.
Warrior, I don't have any beef with optimistic expressions of support for Matrix effort, nor with anybody who choses to express his support for Matrix that way. I said what I think, that forum, as it is right now, is very balanced and great addition to the game. Some very interesting discussions developed after complaints about a particular weapon or aspect of the game. Answers contain a bit of military history and tend to be some very interesting reading material. A great addition to the game experience, if you ask me. Paul’s word is respected here, and if he says “c’mon guys, show some positive energy here, it looks as if we have the worst game on the planet”, then it might effectively shut of all complaints, and rob us of these interesting discussions that develop here. You might find it interesting, but I too believe that what I said is a honest attempt to support Matrix and this game, and it serves Matrix interests better than yelling three times: “I support Matrix and whoever has a problem with that can go to Hell”.

Post #: 26
- 7/21/2001 11:46:00 AM   
Drex

Man I love this kind of talk. Keep it up guys!

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 27
- 7/21/2001 11:49:00 AM   
A_B

I've had my share of complaints and critisisms, questions and concerns, and posted most of them to the board. I have nothing but great things to say about the Matrix people and the SPWAW community one can find here on the forums. WIld Bill and Paul Vebber have both taken the time to email me when i've had some specific questions. Can you imagine someone from SSI or Atomic doing that? I can't. And did you ever get the feeling that people at atomic felt some empathy for you when things were delayed or bugs found? I never did. But the matrix guys always kept us informed, were honest and timely with bad news as well as good. Who else does that these days? no one but matrix. I recieved my t-shirts today. One was for my son, which he has been proudly sporting aroung the house. My two CC campaign buddies know that matrix is coming out with CA, and i'll twist their arms until they buy their copy. I am, and always shall be, a loyal member of the extended family at matrix.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

Post #: 28
- 7/21/2001 8:21:00 PM   
bobaloo000

OK - This game rocks! For more detail see my feedback on MCNA in that forum. Thanks Matrix.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

Post #: 29
- 7/21/2001 8:28:00 PM   
Banjo

First off, I think that this is the best pc wargame I have ever played. The Entire Matrix staff has done an outstanding job in bringing us this game and all of the updates and editions. A greater praise also goes out to all of the folks who volunteer their time to make this game and community better. And not least, all of the folks who post on this forum, for all of the various insights and information I have gleaned from reading about the different aspects of the game. I have learned so much more about the historical and technical aspects of the weapons systems history and tactics that I would ever care to look up for myself, although my historical and biograpical reading never ceases. I actually have had to curtail my playing time as I was loosing way too much sleep, and neglecting my domestic duties. I have no time for reading the topics containing unfounded compaints and criticisms, or the rare flaming posts. I certainly learn lots from all of the constructive criticism, and hope to see it continue. Thats how we all learn. I hope that my constant talk of the possibility of having longer scenario lengths in the upcoming C.L., is not taken for critism. I just tend to ramble on more than I should sometimes. My girlfriend would say all of the time!! I'm ready to pre-order the next M.C. AND C.L. now, and would gladly wait months before I see them at my door. Thanks again all.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How's about some good news...?? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI